[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

cool historical mottos/slogans/sayings and their meaning

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 6

I think it's pretty hard to beat "the sun never sets on the British empire"
>>
>>72281329
Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius.
Kill them all; let God sort them out.

>was allegedly spoken by Papal legate and Cistercian abbot Arnaud Amalric prior to the massacre at Béziers
>>
>>72281329
>Use that motto 2 centuries before the perfidious Albion
>The eternal Anglo strikes again

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_empire_on_which_the_sun_never_sets#Spain

FeelsBadMan
>>
>>72281329
On hearing of the Scottish victory, Pope Martin V passed comment by reiterating a common medieval saying, that "Verily, the Scots are well-known as an antidote to the English."
>>
>>72281458
Try being less shit.
>>
Greece has the best.
>>
>>72281458
I'm sorry for your loss
>>
>Si vis pacem, para bellum
>If you want peace, prepare for war

There are a lot of cool sounding latin saying desu
>>
>>72281504
Standard shit.
>>
>>72281329
our motto is "by reason or by force", sounds rapey desu
>>
>>72281504
this
>Molon labe
>>
>>72281621
simple
and eternal
>>
>>72281842
>eternal
Doubt a single person outside Greece knows about it, and if they do it's probably because of an American action film.
>>
Arbeit macht Frei is a good one
>>
>>72281876
eternal for the Greeks
>>
>>72281876
I only knew about it as the motto for New Hampshire
>>
>>72281900
The Germans gased the Jews and their children anyway.
They filled the rooms until they were really full.
Every time they were screaming but the Germans did not care.
>>
>>72282006
I wish we could have won the war together
>>
>>72282093
>>72282006
H-hey guys~
>>
>>72281504
>Liberté, Égalité, Fraternité ou la mort
>>
>>72282006
>>72282093
>>72282308
There is still hope, right?
>>
>>72281930
>for the Greeks
Who cares then lol
>>
File: kraut.jpg (47KB, 460x500px) Image search: [Google]
kraut.jpg
47KB, 460x500px
>>72282093
I am sorry but Japan had no chances from the beginning.
Germany and its dog Italy attacked neutral Greece and digged their own grave.

Eternal shame upon Japan.

>>72282380
Read some old English books.
>>
A.E.I.O.U.
>>
>>72281329
γνῶθι σεαυτόν
Know Thyself
>>
File: Szwoleżer-Lansjer.jpg (72KB, 663x885px) Image search: [Google]
Szwoleżer-Lansjer.jpg
72KB, 663x885px
>Some western authors have assumed that Napoleon had gone out of his mind in ordering the Poles to charge batteries of 16 cannon over several kilometers of extremely difficult terrain. Others, however, think Napoleon ordered only the closest battery to be taken, in order to open the way for his infantry, and that Kozietulski had misunderstood the order.
>According to many memoirs of veterans of the battle, Kozietulski led his men in a charge with the official cry "Vive l'Empereur". However, popular legend has it that the true battle cry was the Polish "Naprzód psiekrwie, Cesarz patrzy" - "Forward, you sons of dogs, the Emperor is watching"
>>
>>72282454
Technically Greece was all on the Italians. The Krauts saw it as a worthless diversion from Barbarossa
>>
>>72283962
good one. though I'm pretty sure that saying one thing and writing down another was probably pretty common. the middle management on the field weren't the ones writing the history books and if they did they knew their audience. the nobles appreciated one kind of talk and the soldiers another.
>>
File: WE.png (1MB, 1600x1000px) Image search: [Google]
WE.png
1MB, 1600x1000px
>>72281329

>at, avrat, silah.
>horse, woman, weapon

used in nomadic old times
>>
File: Malatesta-1.jpg (23KB, 195x300px) Image search: [Google]
Malatesta-1.jpg
23KB, 195x300px
"Elephas indus culices non timet"
(The indian elephant does not fear mosquitoes)
>>
"Proletarians of the world, unite!" :^)
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.