[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/aus/ Feels

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 4

File: fugg'd.jpg (83KB, 680x435px) Image search: [Google]
fugg'd.jpg
83KB, 680x435px
Any other Aussies find it hard to take pride in their heritage and country? I mean we have so little history and nothing as complex as european or even middle eastern, we have not battles or wars of our own (the closest thing was fighting in new guinea during ww2). I just find it so hard to identify as "australian" when i'm really just British a few generations back. but Europeans will never except us and aboriginals will deny us as Australians. Why did my grandparents ever leave England for this shithole, i have no cultural identify and nothing to be proud of.
>>
>Why did my grandparents ever leave England for this shithole
Because they were criminals?
>>
Ethnicities are created and destroyed all the time.

There was a time when the Dzungars didn't exist, then they did exist, and (sadly, due to genocide) now they don't exist (more or less, since surviving Kalmyks and other Oirat Mongols might or might not choose to identify as Dzungar). That took place in the range of only a couple hundred years.
>>
>>72276061
shan't be reading this drivel
>>
>i have no cultural identify and nothing to be proud of
>we have not battles or wars of our own

The only people who walk around thinking better of themselves because their ancestors(not them) fought some battles are exactly the kind of people that are failing their country.

You should be proud of your country's civic values because those are the ones you personally can help conserve and they are the real legacy that has been passed down to you from your ancestors. People from my country who post on /his/ or /int/ and feel genuine pride because 600 years ago some archers smashed some french nobility to death at agincourt don't really have a fucking clue about the world or their country.
>>
File: youngadultsjohnmarsden2.jpg (264KB, 1600x1131px) Image search: [Google]
youngadultsjohnmarsden2.jpg
264KB, 1600x1131px
>>72276061
Aussies might not have much history but this is the only book series I ever read fully.
>>
>>72276179
got im

>>72276325
I have a Serb friend who's parents are both full serb and their parents are full serb and so on, he is able to speak Serbian his country has a rich history with lots of traditions, food and culture and what do i have? Nothing. I have no traditional food or anything we are nothing but a mockery and a shell of its former self. The majority of the youth here have so many forced memes like " 'straya" which nobody has ever said unironically we say 'stralia.

>>72276333
we had to read that in year 9 english
geg
>>
>>72276333
>this is the only book series I ever read fully.
Fucking yanks I swear
>>
At least the culture you once had isn't being mercilessly murdered by media and in government schools so that you become a fat, addicted shell of your former self
>>
>>72276480
it really is a shitty series
>>
none of that matters...
what's more important is finding sources of happiness and enjoyment in life
>>
>>72276472
>I have a Serb friend who's parents are both full serb and their parents are full serb and so on, he is able to speak Serbian his country has a rich history with lots of traditions, food and culture and what do i have? Nothing. I have no traditional food or anything we are nothing but a mockery and a shell of its former self.

>we are nothing but a mockery and a shell of its former self.

how can you talk about a 'former self' but still believe your country has no worthwhile traditions or values?

also you can have a serbian friend whose parents are both full serb etc etc but the kind of things you discussed in your original post - glorification of battles, etc - are exactly what get serbians into doing stupid shit

19th century serb intellectuals would argue that the height of the serbian empire in the middle ages was the correct borders for serbia and everyone within this zone was a serbian and just didn't know it(origination of the croats are just catholic serbs yada yada meme) and all it gets them is horrific civil wars and atrocities

australia has never had a horrific civil war

australia 1 serbia 0
>>
>>72276577
I really only used the example of military history as nothing more than an example

I used the example of my Serbian friend as his family have such rich traditions.

I also used the term "war of our" to describe the fact that the only wars we've been in (excluding ww2) have been for other countries, i personally take no pride in ww1 as that war was a stupid war we should never have been in. Whereas other countries have rebelled against tyrannical leaders and oppressors and have one the freedom for their people rather than a war of conquest

Also military history (while not something to be always proud of) is interesting and just that "history"
>>
>>72276472
If Serbia was so good ans Straya so bad, why did his parents left?
>>
>>72276722
they had to leave as they lived in Bosnia and his dad (in the military at the time) got word that shit was about to go down, in fear of death they left
>>
>>72276720

i'm sure if you took an active interest in the exploits of the people who founded australia as well as the diplomatic history of your country through WW2(the push for independence etc) you'd find a wide variety of admirable individuals who you could take pride in

a lot of the nationalism in western countries these days is kind of cringeworthy, in england it tends to be regressive and you only tend to get the traditions you're talking about with your serbian friend in more rural areas - definitely not present in cities

you seem to be having an existential problem and what i would do in your situation is read literature about your country whether it's simple histories or memoirs

posting your problem on /int/ is going to get you very limited feedback in this regard
>>
>>72276061
Best part of being Australian is the lack of baggage that comes with it. We can move into the future without the chains of bullshit that comes from centuries of 'tradition' that binds other countries into stagnation or inaction. Seriously, go to Europe and look at the condescending apathy that old blood creates, see the asians chimping out at each other from a millennia of wars or go to the US which is still trying to unfuck itself along divided lines of class, race and culture.

People come here now because we don't have the bullshit.
We're also full, so fuck off if you don't like it
>>
>>72276061
Do the same as us, fuck niggers and aboriginals until create a new and exclusive ethnicity.
>>
>>72276872

>lack of baggage

>Ignoring human rights of aboriginal's and Torre straight islanders
>denying gays the right to marry
>running concentration camps for refugees

These are all still happening right now I don't want to get into the fact that aboriginal's were classed as fauna for a long time and even after the Decloration of human rights was written (which Australia was a big part of) was still didn't give the, the right to vote for another 15 years or so

We are plagued with shit like the aforementioned
>>
File: Ausman strikes back.png (43KB, 823x631px) Image search: [Google]
Ausman strikes back.png
43KB, 823x631px
>>72276061
I know this is bait but literally fuck off
>>
>>72276834
Yeah I know about these figures but it's still a great lack of anything significant or interesting

But it's also the feeling of not belonging anywhere it's really hard to explain but it has been bugging me for a long time and just needed to vent. I want a culture to belong to, I want a homeland that is myown and people of my own
>>
>>72276061
kind of, but that's probably because of religions upbringing. I'm not prideful, but wouldn't go far as to say it's not there
>>
>>72277261
>thinking Australia is a haven from immigrants
We have half a million Muslim dogs in this country alone.
>>
Grass is always greener.

You are disillusioned so you blame it on your country and your heritage but if you were born in europe you would just be blaming something else for how you feel.
>>
>>72276061
>find it hard to take pride in their heritage and country
What the fuck for? You're living in the now. Embrace it.
>>
>>72276275
>Dzungars
Are you talking about Skyrim?

>>72276333
I remember having to read Tomorro, When the War Began in the 7th grade. Haven't read any other of Marsden's books.
>>
File: Australian-icons-poster.jpg (367KB, 620x442px) Image search: [Google]
Australian-icons-poster.jpg
367KB, 620x442px
If you bothered to even study Australian culture and history you would find that Australia literally has the oldest culture in the world jampacked with mythological and religious characters and tales, not to mention unique music and art style. As for colonisation, Australia was literally a settlement like no other pushing the boundaries of colonisation by stowing away on literally the other side of the globe upon a completely unique and profound continent with flora and fauna never before seen anywhere else. Exploration was a truly remarkable feat with settlers overcoming the roughest and harshest terrain usually to their deaths. Colonisation is filled with tales of conflict, agony and triumph from Aboriginal-Anglo infighting and bush rangers to mining and agricultural achievement. Australia was an outpost of the British Empire on the side of the planet between the Asian world and nothing. Upon federation we battled under Imperialism, fought against Imperialism and came out as one of the strongest and wealthiest nations in the world. There is so much to read about, the stories of diggers, miners, aboriginals, bushrangers, pioneers, convicts etc. We have a rich tapestry of history and culture through the unique blend of European and Aboriginal societies that are very prominent today. Please just read about the leadership of John Curtin through WWII, Eureka Rebellion leader Henry Lawson or even the political history of Joh Bjelke-Petersen or Arthur Calwell. Even recently our cultural renaissance of the 1980's in which our film and music reached new heights and showed us off on the world stage through the works of Mad Max, Crocodile Dundee, AC/DC, Men at Work etc. that earnt us the very famous stereotypes we are known for today. Just because we are colonial nation doesn't mean we arent a culturally and historically rich one.
>>
>>72276061
being "ethnic", I don't get caught up on muh heritage or identifying with the nation
>>
Why is it important? Stop associating yourself with ancestors and with country's identity.
National pride is just a simple way to divide and rule us. It should be obvious: North Korea, Turkey, Russia, the US, France are just the most obvious examples.

Focus on your own improvement. Why do you even regret about what others didn't achieve? Seems like you're not fully self-sufficient.
>>
I have an unrelated question. A subhuman anon on dvach has been bashing me for my "fake ass russian accent". What do real aussies and pakehas have to say about it? Don't mind the shit i was saying, those are not my actual thoughts.

http://vocaroo.com/i/s0g6EaoenYng
>>
>>72280475
And youse wonder why One Nation is growing so rapidly.
>>
I fucked up and signed up with Dodo, lads
How do I redeem myself?
>>
>>72282182
bump
>>
>>72276061
Who gives a fuck cunt, have multiple layers to your supposed identity. Your country is strong, wealthy and pretty powerful, focus on the future. Carve a personal identity for yourself through philosophical thought and your actions. Don't place so much weight, relative to who you are, on the lives and actions of others.
>>72280686
Consider this.

>>72277901
Also this, there is plenty of history and cool shit. Even just the time after federation, we haven't exactly been inactive. In addition you can learn about other country's histories pertaining to your ancestry too. But I implore you to not ascribe to the past and to the lives of others overly much, be your own person.
>>
>>72277367
The so called Australian born Chinese

There's nothing sadder than a westernized non white... the long march of colonialism never stops
>>
>>72282224
I'm neutral though, but it's pointless to pretend otherwise
>>
>>72276061
>cultural identify
overrated desu
let's swich places man
>>
>>72276061
you are the child of the greatest empire in the history of man, you are the claimstakers of an entire continent, turning barren desert into the most desirable country to live in, in the world. You're proud to be White, Australia was known as the White mans country up till the mid 70s, you fought at Gallipoli, in France, Burma, and Vietnam. You're some of the most hardy, party loving, drug addled, and fucking sick cunts I've ever met in my life.
There's an Australia to be proud of, just because the soil you dwell on isn't drenched in millenia of history, doesnt mean its people aren't.

You'll be fuckin' right, mate. Keep it fucking Australian.
>>
>>72276061

pretty hard to take pride when you still have the union jack stamped on your flag
Thread posts: 39
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.