[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/lang/ - Language Learning thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 9

File: 1451572561501.png (247KB, 701x735px) Image search: [Google]
1451572561501.png
247KB, 701x735px
>What language are you learning?
>Share language learning experiences!
>Help people who want to learn a new language!
>Find people to train your language with!

>Language learning resources:
http://4chanint.wikia.com/wiki/The_Official_/int/_How_to_Learn_A_Foreign_Language_Guide_Wiki

http://www.duolingo.com/
>Duolingo is a free language-learning platform that includes a language-learning website and app, as well as a digital language proficiency assessment exam. Duolingo offers all its language courses free of charge.

>>>/t/746368
>Torrents with more resources than you'll ever need for 30+ languages.

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B9QDHej9UGAdcDhWVEllMzJBSEk#
>Google Drive folder with books for all kinds of languages.

https://fsi-languages.yojik.eu/languages/oldfsi/index.html
>Drill based courses with text and audio.The Foreign Service Institute (FSI) is the United States federal government's primary training institution for employees of the U.S. foreign affairs community.These courses are all in public domain and free to download.Site may go down sometimes but you can search for fsi on google and easily find a mirror.

https://www.memrise.com/
>Free resource to learn vocabulary, nice flash cards.

https://lingvist.com/
>It's kinda like Clozemaster in the sense that you get a sentence and have to fill in the missing word, also has nice statistics about your progress, grammar tips and more information about a word (noun gender, verb aspects for Russian, etc.)

ankisrs.net/
>A flash card program

https://www.clozemaster.com/languages
>Clozemaster is language learning gamification through mass exposure to vocabulary in context.Can be a great supplementary tool, not recommended for absolute beginners.

https://tatoeba.org/eng/
>Tatoeba is a collection of sentences and translations with over 300 hundred languages to chose from.

radio.garden/
>Listen to radio all around the world through an interactive globe
>>
File: 1488752671518.jpg (401KB, 900x1280px) Image search: [Google]
1488752671518.jpg
401KB, 900x1280px
/balt/
>>
File: 1460107998196.jpg (765KB, 1228x1791px) Image search: [Google]
1460107998196.jpg
765KB, 1228x1791px
/brit/
>>
File: lenin.png (99KB, 580x580px) Image search: [Google]
lenin.png
99KB, 580x580px
/neder/
>>
reminder that ido is better than esperanto
>>
I really dislike Australians
>>
Going to learn Czech so I can go and fuck all their women.
>>
File: 1486942673573.jpg (124KB, 850x610px) Image search: [Google]
1486942673573.jpg
124KB, 850x610px
/luso/
>>
Started thinking about learning arabic.
>>
May I ask you a few questions on translation? There is one thing i don't get which is essential to comprehend the sentence. also deutsch, ancient egyptian, english, bit japanese.
>>
>>72098148
"Hearths found in the fill of the trenches where flaking activities took place suggest that mining activities were spread over a ling period extending from ... to ..., which would make blah-blah-blah." Basically, this portion is about archaeology. But wtf are "flaking activities"? thrashing or what?
>>
How does one commit a multitude of chinese symbols to memory
>>
>>72098746
One will not ever remember them if he considers them as just "chinese symbols". These are images with history and meaning behind them. Associative memory is very strong in that case. Moreover, one will remember them quickly as they are all used very frequently. Its matter of time, not colossal effort. Real problem with chinese is its tones.
>>
>>72098746
>>72098936
I kind of disagree. Tones are only difficult with words you don't use often. Granted, some people struggle more than others, but once you realize that a certain word is said the same way every time, it tends to come naturally.

I don't see how time can be separated from colossal effort. It's not hard in the sense that it's conceptually difficult, but it takes forever. It was at least a year of intensive language courses and daily study before I found myself being able to figure out the gist of most signs on the street when I lived in Taiwan. If you learned the Korean alphabet, you'd be reading signs the same day even if you didn't know what they meant. What's more, the relationship between the parts of characters and the meaning is often not at all obvious, doubly so to someone who didn't grow up with Chinese culture. Characters are far and away the biggest hurdle in becoming proficient in Chinese.
>>
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B8j11ctjYNCsT0o1b0c4Sm5DclU
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B41TPE1XjH0yLWxQRkFVUjZnQ0U

Google docs with dictionary downloads.
by the same people that made the OP google doc I think.
>>
>>72098070
What are you going to do with it?
>>
What language should I learn? I know I want to travel but I don't care where, I am interested in basically everywhere besides sub-saharan africa, not racist but I don't want malaria-aids-infused sleeping-sickness. I would prefer to learn a language with a decent amount of speakers, and something with easy to get resources. Basically, rec me a language to learn, /int/.
>>
>>72101314
GERMAN
>>
>>72101314
German or French
>>
>>72091124
reminder that everyone who speaks ido already speaks esperanto
>>
>>72101162

I just think it's a linguistically interesting language and being able to read news in arabic would be super cool.
>>
>>72084962
>learning
French and Dutch
Im using mostly duolinguo which is getting me to learn how to speak convorsationally, but once I get there what should I use to get fluent?
>>
>>72091124
Diacritics >>> Diglyphs
>>
>>72101314
I'll take you to the middle-east, I say learn farsi and visit Iran. If you still can by the time you know the language.

>>72098070
Do it, you can get plenty of practice in the local mosque too.
>>
>>72091124
constructed languages are globalist terroristic unnecessities
classical languages like greek and latin already bring different nations together

>>72101314
russian is spoken over the widest cultural area after english
everywhere else either speaks fluent english or is dangerous/irrelevant
>>
>>72107889
I have done duolingo, and to be quite honest with you, it was a huge waste of time. yes, I learned some new words and understood the construction better. But even after completing it, I had troubles saying basic sentences. Currently, I am doing official memrise courses and finished pimsluer, I believe that I have gained much more from those two sources. I am also trying to read some simplified news and watch some shows in native language with subtitles. I still feel like the process is quite slow.
>>
File: 29348672.png (353KB, 1681x950px) Image search: [Google]
29348672.png
353KB, 1681x950px
>>72098070
Be aware, the colloquial dialects are essentially different languages from the standard, and from each other. It's like Latin versus the Romance languages.

The standard language is used in literature and prepared speeches, but Abdul at the corner store will not speak the same way.

Also most Arabs speak English or French, even in their own countries, and the U.S. has made sure that most of the Arab world will remain primitive for the forseeable future.

It's fine to study it for cultural reasons and for enjoyment, but it's not as "useful" as dumb liberals make it out to be.
>>
>>72098261
"Flake" just means little pieces that break off of something. Like a dried leaf, a thin piece of bread, a soft rock, etc.

>>72098746
Learn a few hundred, then start trying to read real texts as soon as possible (with dictionary). You learn them in context. Also learn the radicals. There are really only 200 shapes, all the rest are just combinations. And don't ignore stroke order, it's there for a reason.
>>72098936
Chinese (Mandarin) is the easiest tonal language.
>>
>>72113222

Yeah the dialect thing has been one of the things stopping me taking the plunge.
>>
>>72113222
All the native speakers should at least understand the "standard" form, regardless of dialect, right?
>>
>>72101314
Learn Indonesian. It's an easy language, no cases, no conjugations, no tenses. Shouldn't be hard to master even for someone like you, and it's spoken by over 200 million people in Indonesia
>>
File: 18481.jpg (34KB, 540x303px) Image search: [Google]
18481.jpg
34KB, 540x303px
> Only till the end of the year to get fluent (B1/2) in Spanish
>>
>>72084962
This comic is plainly wrong.
>>
>>72117211
>All the native speakers should at least understand the "standard" form, regardless of dialect, right?

Understand - yes maybe, at least get what you're trying to say.

The issue is that you will likely not be able to understand much of what they are saying.
>>
Learning Spanish right now, what should I learn next? French? I want best languages for geographic coverage and whatnot, but particularly in tropical regions.

I figure Spanish gives me most of Central/South America, and English and French cover a good chunk of Africa. Portuguese is used in both but is it worth the effort? What about tropical Asia?

French is useful some places there right?

Would English/French/Spanish be best language triplet? I guess I could learn German too, took some in college and remember a fair bit, but it doesn't seem that useful since I don't give a fuck about Europe, also it's a really ugly language.

Also want to learn Swahili cause it seems fun.
>>
>>72117979
t. Jamal
>>
File: good luck.png (81KB, 752x865px) Image search: [Google]
good luck.png
81KB, 752x865px
>>72117979
>>
>>72117979
If you want best geographic coverage its spanish, french, russian, chinese, arabic
>>
Lads, I have a problem with memrise.

My screen is divided between memrise and some keyboard that translate into moonrunes what I write, it's convenient. But when I go on this keyboard translator, it hides the word on memrise and put some "play" button to record me

How do I avoid that ?
>>
>>72113061
What language bruh?
>>
>>72121018
Hindi and Urdu are the same language written in different scripts.
>>
>>72113222
Yeah, it's the same process as how Latin evolved in to the Romance languages, but it happened over 500 years later, so they are much closer to each other than the Romance languages are.
>>
>>72084962
I used t study Korean before I started a new job which leaves me incredibly tired and stressed. I haven't studied it in 2 months and I miss it :(
>>
bamp
>>
Does anyone else find it difficult to listen to the audio on Duolingo? Maybe it's just me.
>>
>>72134045
sometimes
>>
Nice post
Thread posts: 47
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.