[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Etymology of country names

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 5

File: 1459207262072-his.jpg (777KB, 4500x2234px) Image search: [Google]
1459207262072-his.jpg
777KB, 4500x2234px
Etymology of country names
>>
For France, it's just "Land of the Franks".
Spear were just the favorite weapons of the franks. When saying the "land of the franks" it's implying the lands of those people, not of the spears.
Just wanted to make it clear in case ppl would be confused
>>
>>72079745
>New Sea Land
Rlly mks m thnk
>>
>>72079745
>New Sea Land

hmmmmmmm.. very interesting
>>
>>72079745
The english name or the endonym
>>
>iran and thailand
dog bless :DD
>>
>There are various theories about the origin of the word Chile. According to 17th-century Spanish chronicler Diego de Rosales,[14] the Incas called the valley of the Aconcagua "Chili" by corruption of the name of a Picunche tribal chief ("cacique") called Tili, who ruled the area at the time of the Incan conquest in the 15th century.[15][16] Another theory points to the similarity of the valley of the Aconcagua with that of the Casma Valley in Peru, where there was a town and valley named Chili.[16]
>Other theories say Chile may derive its name from a Native American word meaning either "ends of the earth" or "sea gulls";[17] from the Mapuche word chilli, which may mean "where the land ends;"[18] or from the Quechua chiri, "cold",[19] or tchili, meaning either "snow"[19][20] or "the deepest point of the Earth".[21] Another origin attributed to chilli is the onomatopoeic cheele-cheele—the Mapuche imitation of the warble of a bird locally known as trile.[18][22]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chile#Etymology
>>
Actually Albania comes from greek Alvania/Alvanon, from old Albanian name "Arbanon", frobably from "ar ban' or "ar banon", meaning field workers.
>>
>>72079745
>Kenya
Wtf I love Kenya now!
>Guinea
>Lesotho
>Somalia
>Sudan
WE
>>
>>72080045
>frobably
probably*
>>
File: autist.jpg (6KB, 196x223px) Image search: [Google]
autist.jpg
6KB, 196x223px
>Finland
>>
It is first recorded in Middle English as Turkye, Torke, later Turkie, Turky.(Türkiye)
>>
Mirin' Mongolia.
>>
File: 1483652346449~01.gif (979KB, 220x165px) Image search: [Google]
1483652346449~01.gif
979KB, 220x165px
>>72079745
>blacks
>land of the tanned
>blacks-bissau
>black
>blacks
>>
File: sad.png (4KB, 240x178px) Image search: [Google]
sad.png
4KB, 240x178px
>>72079745
>Lithuania
Atlast I finally see why they are constantly depressed
>>
>The newer interpretation of the syllable is Norvegr, where nor(ve)- means narrow (Nynorsk: norve) and -(ve)gr (Nynorsk: veg) means way that refers to the sailing routes through the straits of Norway.[24][25] The old meaning of the word is interpreted as "The narrow way through the strait".[24][25] Nore is still used in placenames like example the village of Nore and lake Norefjorden in Buskerud county, and has still the same meaning.[24][25]

Makes more sense then "the northern way"
>>
>>72079745
>amerif*ts can't make a country without taking from the best
dingle my wingle
>>
ree i can't read that
>>
>the land of the free and home of the brave are both in Asia
really electrified my brainstem
>>
>>72079745
>New Zealand= New Sea Land
>Greenland=Green Land
>Finland= Land
genious
>>
File: 1482348152873.png (413KB, 600x528px) Image search: [Google]
1482348152873.png
413KB, 600x528px
>>72079745
>not being from God's Land
>>
>>72079745
Hispania is not clear, some people suggest it could mean Northern Coast (from the punic point of view).
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.