[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

cultural appropriation (?)

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 4

File: 911 was an inside job.jpg (99KB, 534x615px) Image search: [Google]
911 was an inside job.jpg
99KB, 534x615px
Any black folks around?
What are your thoughts on cultural appropriation regarding hair styles?
Is it only about dreadlocks or is it braids?
Genuinely asking because Greece is a very non-diverse country ethnicwise, and I grew up hanging around on the internet, so I was wondering if it would be ok for me to copy hairstyles that I liked from various artists/movies e.g. Beyonce, Avatar and so on.

Normally I wouldn't be asking but I'm close to having my bachelor and was thinking about post graduate studies in the US.

Would a mediterranean looking guy get shit on the street for having braids?
>>
kill urself
>>
Nah m8y all good. The only black people who care are the butthurt, SJW type black women screeching at a few college campuses.
>>
>>72032552

Pop culture is not culture

Argument finished
>>
>>72033493
>2017
what's the definition of pop culture when one has access to literally everything through the internet?
>>
>>72032552
Are blacks appropriating white culture for using pretty much everything ?
>>
>>72033545
No because any person who isn't historically illiterate understands that slavery played a major part in the development of the modern first world and preconceived, stereotypical notions are not entirely abolished yet

I don't agree on many points with the "cultural appropriation" oppression but they have some valid points that need pondering instead of straight out dismissal because le edgy hon hon
>>
The vast majority of blacks will not give a shit about white people with dreads past maybe thinking it looks corny

It gets into bothersome territory when you dolezal it, start wearing a dashiki like a costume and acting like you know what it's like to be black and shit
>>
black guy here

i think you will be fine as long as you don't go around talking in ebonics calling people niggas. either way 99% of black people don't care. cultural appropriation is mostly a meme
>>
>>72033523
>what's the definition of pop culture when one has access to literally everything through the internet?
culture of the plebeian class that only use internet for facebook
>>
>>72032552
I personally don't care, but I know multiple black people who do. They wouldn't talk shit at you for having braids in public but people might talk shit behind your back
>>
>>72033719
>>72033774
wow other black people exist on /int/?

wtf i love 4chan now
>>
>>72033654
I'm not talking about development. I'm talking about inventions.
Nobody cares about stereotypes or whatever you're talking about. Nobody cares if a non white wears a tuxedo. Nobody cares if a non black uses peanut butter
I'm sorry if you think reality is edgy. You should just stop being an insecure faggot and use the haircut you want.
>>
>>72033545
That's not how cultural appropriation works anon at all.
>>
File: are you serious8.jpg (49KB, 540x960px) Image search: [Google]
are you serious8.jpg
49KB, 540x960px
>>72033858
>Implying only white people have invented shit
>Implying eating peanut butter is the same as degrading an entire culture through slavery to make profit and establish yourself as a world super power
>Implying reality is not edgy
I'm a very insecuse faggot but why u gotta be like this?
>>
>>72032552
>dreadlocks
>braids
>african culture
what cunt
>>
>>72033427
I'd get pissed if the only time your culture can be displayed or shown without others getting triggered or shaming is when someone else does it.
>>
>>72033949
The mere concept is dumb.
What is the next step ? You can't do physics unless you're English because of Newton ? You can't use batteries unless you're Italian because of Volta?
>>
>>72034047
That's not culture.
Cultural appropriation is like taking culture and removing the soul, history and meaning.
Example modern non native lgbt identifying as two-spirit despite the fact that being two-spirit is a native identity with no ties to the lgbt spectrum that in many many native societies takes in a spiritual role and/or community role.

Your example isn't culture
>>
>>72033982
The victimhood is exactly why African American culture will always be shit.
You don't degrade anyone by showing another culture. You don't do anything but showing or even celebrating it. Unless your culture is utter shit, you shouldn't have a problem if someone else displays it
>>
File: i'll have you know.jpg (66KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
i'll have you know.jpg
66KB, 500x375px
>>72034047
Man, it would be dumb if we lived in a world where racism didn't exist.
It's true that cultural appropriation is such a complex issue that probably doesn't have any solution to it.
Hell, you can't go about policing what people ought to wear, it'd be counter productive.
That doesn't stop me from understanding that it can feel very real and painful to people whose culture doesn't fit the country's social norms.

read >>72034043
>>
>>72034136
The thing is, often when people show or copy African American culture they rarely do it out of respect or give credit to them.

It was like how Rock & Roll was considered dangerous and sexual when it was mostly black people then somehow became acceptable when Elvis did it. Same with Jazz, Hip Hop or anything else that came from African American culture.
>>
>>72034146
It's not even an issue and it prevents people from focusing on real problems. It's just a distraction to justify bullshit degrees and divides people. This shorty concept wasn't even a thing 8 years ago
>>
>>72034276
>people are making parts of this culture acceptable

Is it supposed to be bad ? Not giving credit is an issue but it's known that jazz came from African American.
>>
>>72034365
Because blacks are often erased from said thing or edged out or mitigated.
>>
>>72034365
It isn't well known that Rock & Roll came from African American culture.
>>
>>72034365
>>72034386
And essentially what you have in 2017 is white people calling black people "white" for listening to rock music when ironically enough white people were trying to get it banned before Elvis came along.

They were basically erased and removed from something that was originally theirs because everyone feels that African American culture is for everyone. It can be frustrating to have people all over the world act like you and seemingly not like you at all.
>>
>>72032552

Tell beyonce to stop bleaching her hair if you're going to criticize whitey for cultural approppriation, or just shut the fuck up about it and consider it cultural APPRECIATION like it this.
>>
>black people complain about cultural appropriation
>appropriate Egyptian history and culture to mask their own insecurities despite being a different people

Oh am I laffin
>>
I think Americans are idiots sheltered from reality. Africans and Asians don't give a fuck. They think it's funny when people copy them.
>>
>>72035225
How are Asians and Africans copied?
>>
>>72034495
I'm satisfied when /pol/fags listen to rock music

They're losing, by not living a purely European lifestyle they espouse so much. They're the same runts that masturbate exclusively to jav because no western white girl would ever give them the time of day
>>
File: Pt5EN.jpg (73KB, 848x480px) Image search: [Google]
Pt5EN.jpg
73KB, 848x480px
I'll just leave this here

François Durpaire
>>
>>72036487
Alors, as tu un ami nègre ?
>>
>>72036527
J'en chie un tous les matins
Thread posts: 35
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.