[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What were you made to read at school?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2

>be me
>a sci-fi writer
>Speaking to some Serb friend
>I mention that the only book I read during my time at high school was Of Mice and Men cause it was compulsory for my English exam
>He laughs
>I insist what I previously stated
>He asks with some laughter still in his lungs, 'so you didn't read Shakespeare; or Ivanhoe at school?'
>'No, we watched the Romeo and Juliet film with Leonardo DiCaprio;' I said 'and then analysed the Mercutio/Tybalt confrontation scene as it was said to be on our exam.'

There was a pause after his laughter died and then he sent me this. All I did in English was write pretend newspaper article and persuasive letters.

So my question is...well, the title of this thread.
>>
Just asked what my girlfriend read while at school; she said of mice and men as well but she also read The Outsiders.
>>
we read about 4-6 per semester for 3 years 1 year in plays are poems

british romantics dickens, bronte, austen american 19/20th century stuff, plath, twain, wells, fitzgerald, some minority foreign lit, achebe for history like allende marquez

and ofc shakespeare
>>
I remember reading Paradise Lost, Othello, Hamlet, Macbeth, Romeo & Juilet, and something about some African tribe.
>>
>>71779407
and I guess 1984, Leaves of Grass, a Dickens book, and a book about dystopian Canada where we're all racist.
>>
>>71778939
We do Shakespeare in Scotland. Macbeth to be specific.
>>
>>71778939
nothing I can remember, leftists ruined our school system
>>
>>71779544
Goddamn Scots. OP here (I'm English.) Also nice dubs
>>
File: 1461268234644.jpg (79KB, 1000x1144px) Image search: [Google]
1461268234644.jpg
79KB, 1000x1144px
>>71778939
>we watched the Romeo and Juliet film with Leonardo DiCaprio

We did too
>>
>>71778939
We read the full text of Macbeth, and parts of the Canterbury Tales.
For English literature I also read 1984, Catch 22, and a bunch of other more modern books I can't all think of at the moment. About 10 in total.

I read Candide in French because I had to choose something and I was lazy. I never liked French.

I read Ganz unten in German.

In Latin I read a bunch of assorted stories that were arranged in difficulty.

Same for Ancient Greek, but in the last few years of high school we read the bible in Ancient Greek and translated the complete Odyssey.
I also read a few of Plato's texts, and some Aeschylus and Euripides.
>>
>>71778939
On top of my head
Extracts from Iliad, Odyssey, Aeneid, and The Bethroted (most of the book for this one).
Most of the Divine Comedy (Hell, Purgatory and Heaven)
D'Annunzio's "Il Piacere";
Pirandello's "One, no one and one hundred thousands" and "The Late Mattia Pascal";
Svevo's "Zeno's Conscience"
>>
>>71779651
Thinking back we were going to read Holes in year 7 for the first lesson but watched the film instead. It went downhill from there.
>>
>>71778939
From what I can remember

> To Kill a Mockingbird
> Death of a Salesman
> Pride and Prejudice

rate familia
>>
>>71778939
Pretty much everything relevant in world literature since early Greeks up to 20th century. That was compulsory reading in literature class. We also had a long list of books which were optional/elective. Some books were given as home reading in history, art history, social studies, english, estonian and german. In russian class we mostly got poetry as home reading. If you were keen on any subject your teacher would give you additional reading suggestions. My physics teacher had a sick collection of sci-fi and science history books to hand out.
>>
>>71778939
Similiar to this.
They forced all kinds of unnecessary bullshit down our throats, but shied away from mathematics.
>my son finished college but he can't find work, this country is a hellhole
>what did he finish?
>oh croatistics and comperative literature
>lmao
>>
>>71780189
Serbia and Estonia - two countries I'd never expect to have a patrician school system (no offence intended)

>>71780000
nice quads
>>
>>71778939
Macbeth
Terror KId
Lord of the flies
Dr Faustus
Some book about Irish terrorism I can't remember the name
The catcher in the rye
The great Gatsby
L'attentat
L'étranger
Soliman le pacifique
Gargantua
L'Avare
Les fauberies de Scapin
Un secret
Mourir partout sauf à Differdange
Don Quichotte
Im Westen nichts Neues
Nibelungenlied
Die Welle
Die Wolke
Die Räuber
Faust
Andorra
Jugend ohne Gott
Unterm Rad
Kleider machen Leute
Coup de Gigot
Anne Franks Tagebuch
La dame rouge
A summernight's dream
Aus dem Leben eines Taugenichts
Behalt das Leben Lieb
The merchant of Venice
To kill a Mockingbird
L'Alchimista (the only book we had to read in italian class)
and whatever was in our textbooks
>>
>>71778939
English(writing) and literature were separate for us. I read so many shitty classics and pretended to read others. Dickens is painful.
>>
>>71778939
kalevala
>>
>>71780595
When I showed up at the school it was during a change in headmasters. English was split between English Literature and English Language before I came. In the each lesson we just wrote newspaper articles and letters about our opinions on matters to the local council.
My newspaper was called The Moon and if you finished your article in good time you could draw a picture that would match it and we even coloured them in. I'm not kidding.
>>
>>71778939
A lot of shit and meme classic which is absolutely unbearable if you are not into russian literature
>>
We didn't really have much of foreign literature.
We used to have 2 literature classes Russian literature and Belarusian literature.
Ino Russian literature we read a lot Russian classic such as Pushkin, Gogol',Tolstoy.
20th century Russian literature was pretty shitty, except for Myakovski, his poems were fun to read.
Master and Margarita was pretty exciting too.
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.