[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/lang/ - Language Learning thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 82
Thread images: 9

File: 38.png (247KB, 701x735px) Image search: [Google]
38.png
247KB, 701x735px
>What language are you learning?
>Share language learning experiences!
>Help people who want to learn a new language!
>Find people to train your language with!

>Language learning resources:
http://4chanint.wikia.com/wiki/The_Official_/int/_How_to_Learn_A_Foreign_Language_Guide_Wiki

http://www.duolingo.com/
>Duolingo is a free language-learning platform that includes a language-learning website and app, as well as a digital language proficiency assessment exam. Duolingo offers all its language courses free of charge.

>>>/t/746368
>Torrents with more resources than you'll ever need for 30+ languages.

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B9QDHej9UGAdcDhWVEllMzJBSEk#
>Google Drive folder with books for all kinds of languages.

https://fsi-languages.yojik.eu/languages/oldfsi/index.html
>Drill based courses with text and audio.The Foreign Service Institute (FSI) is the United States federal government's primary training institution for employees of the U.S. foreign affairs community.These courses are all in public domain and free to download.Site may go down sometimes but you can search for fsi on google and easily find a mirror.

https://www.memrise.com/
>Free resource to learn vocabulary, nice flash cards.

https://lingvist.com/
>It's kinda like Clozemaster in the sense that you get a sentence and have to fill in the missing word, also has nice statistics about your progress, grammar tips and more information about a word (noun gender, verb aspects for Russian, etc.)

ankisrs.net/
>A flash card program

https://www.clozemaster.com/languages
>Clozemaster is language learning gamification through mass exposure to vocabulary in context.Can be a great supplementary tool, not recommended for absolute beginners.

https://tatoeba.org/eng/
>Tatoeba is a collection of sentences and translations with over 300 hundred languages to chose from.

radio.garden/
>Listen to radio all around the world through an interactive globe
>>
>>71617696

http://pastebin.com/VCch8U16
>Few more resources that didn't fit into OP
>>
Huh, didn't realize the other thread was pruned.

Anyway, Saluton al vi ĉiuj. Kiel vi fartas ĉi-sakate?
>>
>>71617811
While he was making that language, did he pick all of the words from different languages and made some small changes to them before he added them in or are there completely made up ones too?
>>
>>71617811
>Huh, didn't realize the other thread was pruned.
why?
>>
Пpивeт
>>
I'm learning French. It is extremely difficult, at least for me..

It's really difficult for me to understand what words mean and what the sentence is implying sometimes when the sentence isn't a super basic sentence. Written French seems nothing like spoken French, I can't do an accent for shit, my words just don't flow.

It's so fucking frustrating. I feel like I will never be able to HEAR the language, hear the actual voice of people like in English. I just hear words and they feel so flat. I don't know if I make sense but yeah
>>
>>71618069
A little bit of both actually. All of the root words are taken from European languages, but because Esperanto is an agglutinative language, a lot of words are made up from the existing roots and suffixes.

For example: registaro (government) = reg (to rule) + ist (one who performs the action) + ar (group) + o (noun ending)
registaro literally means a group of rulers.

>>71620666
Because it felt like the thread was just created, but I guess these threads don't last very long.
>>
>>71621057
I'm pretty sure most affixes are taken from european languages.
-ido is from Greek (as are kaj and the plural -j, btw), mal- is French, etc.
>>
>>71621297
Prave.
>>
>>71620931
>Written French seems nothing like spoken French
Because you assume it's pronounced like English? Once you get used to how letters and their combinations sound like you'll have no problem with it
>>
>>71622298
No, I'm not that much of a beginner. I meant grammar and sentence structure, not pronunciation.
>>
>>71621442
There are still some pretty unique combinations.

I particularly like Reĝido and Malliberejo.
>>
>>71620931

You'll be fine mate. I've only been at French for a little over two weeks and I can already feel the insurmountable feeling of French pronunciation start to crumble; just know that your confidence in understanding and interpreting the language is going to grow every day, and don't get too needlessly frustrated.

Look on the bright side: though not able to pronounce them right, you basically already know a huge chunk of French words. You and I both are definitely gonna like that after we're done with the beginner struggles of learning the basic grammar, pronunciation, etc. vocab acquisition won't be nearly as tough.
>>
File: ger.png (114KB, 752x400px) Image search: [Google]
ger.png
114KB, 752x400px
I'm trying to learn German, want to meet my qt German penpal. Been using Memrise and Flipword.

https://flipword.co/
>>
>>71624428
I've never actually seen reĝido before, but malliberejo is definitely another good example.
>>
Does anyone here, pays private classes for learning language or are you selflearners?

Also doing duolingo and i fucking hate when i make so trivial mistakes over and over again, it's really infuriating and makes me not want to learn language and while stressed i can hardly memorise gramar rules. Any tips how to avoid this except being patient?
>>
>>71622812
listen more. Syntax isn't so different from english.
>>
>>71630799
My only experience is through selflearning, but I'm not much of a serious language learner.

I have the same problem with Duolingo. I try to rush through each question, and I always end up making the same mistakes over and over.
>>
>>71630799
currently doing Spanish Lessons for Begginers costs about 10 pound per leson and combining it with Rosetta stone, I dont know what else to do though
>>
do you reckon it would be useful to read the spanish general even if i don't understand most of it
>>
Anyone else here learning arabic/farsi/other language where the standard script seems tiny in comparison to this latin standard? How are you dealing with that. Deciphering/reading text that isn't from my book with larger font takes ages for me ;_;
>>71631760
Yes, but don't go overboard
>>
>>71631760
Any reading practice is good desu. post there too maybe for writing / production practice and native corrections. i know for sure doing both of the above in the french general helped me a ton.
>>
File: fumee.jpg (4KB, 228x18px) Image search: [Google]
fumee.jpg
4KB, 228x18px
bump
>>
>>71632486
I have that problem too. I was checking out a pdf for farsi earlier and everything that wasn't latin just looked like a blob.
>>
I'm learning Italian and while it's easier since I speak Portuguese, I'm procrastinating a lot.
I should really print an Italian textbook or something instead of learning in the computer.
>>
File: fedupcat.png (965KB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
fedupcat.png
965KB, 1080x1920px
How do you guys get from conversational/intermediate to advanced/fluency in a language? I've been studying Italian for a while and I have no problem expressing myself but I keep making errors that though aren't egregious and make me difficult to understand still show that I'm nowhere near a level where I can be proud of the effort I've put in. It's like I'm in a rut
>>
>>71627250
I like Reĝido because it's so obvious/trivial, yet most languages have a unique word for it for no good reason
>>
>>71630799
>i can hardly memorise gramar rules. Any tips how to avoid this except being patient?
writing stuff down (rules and stuff, examples) really helped me start internalizing stuff.
>>
>>71640615
have you read a single fiction book in Italian?
>>
>>71631760
I actually learned Spanish like that. (Plus lots of study).
It's important to immerse yourself in a language and expose yourself to it.
Tbh, 4chan is not optimal at all, because normal conversation rarely occurs here. But if you have absolutely no other exposure to spanish, it's a start.
Use wordreference to look up words you don't know. Use spanishdict to conjugate verbs when you're unsure.

If you ever need any help, I'm the resident australian flag on /esp/ or /ibe/
>>
>>71645690
No, I hate fiction. I tried reading nonfiction but at the time I didn't know one of the tenses so it was pointless
>>
hvorfor er det her sprog så svært
>>
>>71650696
Därför att det är inte ett spårk
>>
>>71650955
ja, ja, kartoffelsprog. det fatter jo jeg.
>>
>>71650373
No wonder then why you feel as though you're in a rut. To me reading fiction in a target language is essential for literally everything: expanding vocabulary, fluency gain and improving abstract thinking in a language that you learn.
>>
>>71651439
I don't know, I can't even read fiction in English due to how dry and dull it is to me. I prefer knowing what happened and why rather than describing all the bullshit in the setting
>>
>>71652106
Read, listen, watch. The three things to do to improve. Do you listen to music/radio/podcast/whatever? Watch tv/films.

Also, if fiction isn't your thing, there's also nonfiction. Newspapers, forums/messageboards, heck, anything. The back of a shampoobottle if it has the language. Set phone/pc language. Read wiki articles.
>>
>>71652293
>read
>listen
These I do often and I have no problem with them. Newspapers I read often and I enjoy it, as well as listening to talk radio. But thanks for the suggestions I'll have to watch more media
>>
>>71652552
are white?
>>
>>71652969
are u white?*
>>
>>71652999
No
>>
>>71653114
this explains a lot
>>
>>71617696
i cant even speak american english properly. how the fuck you guys learning second languages?
>>
>>71654087
Your iq is pretty low. Get over it.
>>
File: 49873987932.jpg (22KB, 599x521px) Image search: [Google]
49873987932.jpg
22KB, 599x521px
What language are you studying and what do you personally find the most stupid/difficult thing about it?
>>
>>71654146
my iq is 123.
>>
>>71654087
>actually calling it american english instead of just english

What a fucking retard.
>>
>>71654264
well listening to british english is harder for me. thats why i called it american english.
>>
>>71654264
>>71654306
For what it's worth, british accents are all over the place, whilst american accents are comparatively speaking way more similar and more just minor mannerisms.
>>
I'm thinking about learning German lads because Germans getting power = another war on the continent and while every German under 30 can speak english very few brits can speak German so i figure it would lower my chances of getting sent to the front lines if i can speak German.

How hard is it and is it true most Germans are unwilling to speak German with Brits (sounds nefarious)?
>>
>>71655849
For the most part only numales speak perfect English, your average German can tell you the directions in English (which is probably what burgers and brits judge English proficiency from) but that's it. Aside from that Germans don't have any power, and by the time we do, we'll be an islamic caliphate, which means you should learn Arabic instead. Nonetheless, if you actually want to go through with this, I wish you the best of luck.
To answer your question: I don't know about other Germans but I would rather talk to a brit or American in English than hear him speak broken German, also how would anyone know you're a brit? Do you wave the cuck stamp around at all times?
>>
>>71617696
Trying to learn mandarin in case the chinks do invade us
>>
>>71654179
>Japanese
>Myself
>>
>>71617696
Living and learning in the Netherlands, any tups on learning dutch?
>>
>>71660497
You too, huh? Japanese has made me realise how retarded I really am.
>>
>>71661605
No exactly retarded, more like unable to be disciplined and focus
>>
>>71661082
you're long past the critical age for language learning
>>
>>71663521
Please fuck off with this retard meme
>>
>>71663521
Fuck off retard иди yбит ceбя.
>>
>>71664228
I've been fond of your country up to this very comment, but now I see that I'll have to support Croatia genociding you, bro.
>>
>>71664228
Objesi se
>>
>>71663758
>>71664228
>>71664992
Guys shh let's just hug it out
>>
>>71639081
Do you learn it because you're a Paulista?
>>
>>71639081
Oi! O Paulista
>>
File: staff-managment.jpg (75KB, 960x540px) Image search: [Google]
staff-managment.jpg
75KB, 960x540px
>tfw you will never live in mother base full of soldiers from all over the world to bromance with while becoming a polyglot in the process
Life is suffering.
>>
>>71671272
Is military service mandatory in Turkey
>>
>>71671553
For men, yes.
>>
File: 1484847923601.png (88KB, 861x914px) Image search: [Google]
1484847923601.png
88KB, 861x914px
mfw im currently living with 4 native russian speakers and i'm learning chinese
>>
>>71663521
I guess I should just kill myself then.
>>
>>71671703
>take it
>stick with army afterwards
>get deployed anywhere in europe
>request asylum for fear of being arrested as gulenist
???
>free foreign country
>>
>>71671703
Then why you say you'll never live in a base?
Are you a woman?
>>
>>71671833
I don't think conscripts get deployed to anywhere outside of here.Gonna have to find some other way to get in your country :^)

>>71671992
I'll live in a base but it won't be with foreigners and Big Boss won't be my leader.But whatever I'm just memeing lmao
>>
>when your language exchange partners say you have a sexy voice
>>
>>71673096
W-where do you get language exchange partners
>>
>>71673387
Mainly Interpals (site) and Hellotalk (app). There are others you can try, like italki and Tandem, although I haven't used those yet.
>>
Is anyone here a Tatoeba contributor? I've considered joining to practice translating languages.
>>
>>71617696
Bump
>>
>>71673096
nothing to worry about
>>
File: Star-Wars.jpg (22KB, 615x409px) Image search: [Google]
Star-Wars.jpg
22KB, 615x409px
>>71673096
>when she wants you to talk dirty to her in her language
>>
Any of you guys watched Destinos if so was it useful
>>
Does anyone have any experience learning Thai? I might be moving there for work in a few months.

>>71651439
>>71679679
Gerard de Villiers improved my French tremendously.
Thread posts: 82
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.