[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Roman Coins

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 2

How genuine are all the Roman coins on ebay?

I don't know shit about antiques but the thought of fiddling a bunch of 2000 year old coins that countless average Romans used to pay for their fish, oil and hookers gives me an autistic hard-on.
>>
not at all
>>
Aureus are still mint condition because they are made of gold, few were not founded though and remain in tact
>>
>>71552400
Most of them are fake tho
>>
>buy a bunch of old Chinese coins from an antinques market in Chengdu, China
>$200 worth in total
>come home to give them to my dad who is into old currency and shit
>turns out not a single one was real
>they were all steel nuts that had been flatted and then dipped in some chemical to give the appearance of rust
>send an angry email to lonely planet who recommended the antique market to foreigners
>tfw
>>
>>71552400
You'd have to ask a numismatician. Try /his/
>>
Kind of how I thought. Gold ones cost 3-4 figures, I'm not that enthusiastic for some 3D memes.

>>71553651
I'll try
>>
My dad is into this sort of thing, mostly paper currency, however he has a respectable collection of coins.

I recommend getting a catalog from a company that specializes in this sort of thing rather than ebay. You're too much of a noob to go through ebay. Also visit coin stores and conventions to see the stuff in person and compare it to what you see in catalogs.

Personally I don't understand the collector mindset. Seems like a stupid money drain. You can always see this sort of thing in a museum.

By the way, those coins look super fake. Looks like someone threw acid on them or left them in a bottle of coke. Roman and Greek coins were made remarkably well, so well that barbarians often made exact copies of them not to counterfeit them, just because their designs worked.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.