[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How is Manifest Destiny viewed today in Americas society?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

File: American_progress.jpg (2MB, 2000x1487px) Image search: [Google]
American_progress.jpg
2MB, 2000x1487px
How is Manifest Destiny viewed today in Americas society?
>>
I remember having a difficult time grasping the concept when I first learned of it in school. The idea that it is a country's sacred duty to unilaterally take over a bunch of other land is illogical and absurd.
>>
Nobody thinks about it anymore unfortunately. Personally I don't see it as valid but I think it deserves some positive attention anyway.

>>71457158
kys cuck
>>
>>71457363
This is how people would talk about Generalplan Ost if Hitler had won
>>
>>71457416
Here's the thing, I don't entirely like it because it's actually the same rhetoric that leftists use today. They think it's the ultimate destination of every country to become a western-style liberal democracy; forget about culture and history and what the people want, the end of history is postmodernism and liberalism. It's bullshit and it will never turn out that way. Manifest destiny and all the "civilizing" ideas of the 19th century are that same sort of thing, they see the world molding to themselves as the ultimate destination. In the opium wars, here's a country trying to defend its people against this new rampant capitalism bringing in drugs which erodes the national spirit and isn't good for anybody. Britain, of course seen as the universal good guys of history always, intervenes and forces the qing to open up, because free trade must be the greatest political theory of all time.

Manifest destiny, "civilizing" the savage lands of the earth, actually just brought cancerous post-enlightenment western philosophy to the world.
>>
>>71457751
What's amusing is that the contemporary left is using a lot of the same thinking as the liberal* proponents of colonialism. Ie; they don't know better, we should pity them, they need to be a part of a society structured by us because they can't build one on their own for whatever reason etc.

*not the contemporary meme meaning of the word.
>>
>>71457751
roses are red
obama is half black
i know where you're from
and you have to go back
>>
>>71457416
The German truth
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.