[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/lang/ - Language Learning Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 162
Thread images: 21

File: IMG_1363.png (1MB, 1853x1642px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1363.png
1MB, 1853x1642px
Japanese is for weaboos edition

>Is OP a faggot?
>What language are you learning?
>Share language learning experiences!
>Help people who want to learn a new language!
>Find people to train your language with!

>Language learning resources:
http://4chanint.wikia.com/wiki/The_Official_/int/_How_to_Learn_A_Foreign_Language_Guide_Wiki

http://www.duolingo.com/
>Duolinguo
>Not a meme

>>>/t/746368 #
>Torrents with more resources than you'll ever need for 30+ languages.

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B9QDHej9UGAdcDhWVEllMzJBSEk#
>Google Drive folder with books for all kinds of languages.

https://fsi-languages.yojik.eu/languages/oldfsi/index.html
>Drill based courses with text and audio.The Foreign Service Institute (FSI) is the United States federal government's primary training institution for employees of the U.S. foreign affairs community.These courses are all in public domain and free to download.Site may go down sometimes but you can search for fsi on google and easily find a mirror.

https://www.memrise.com/
>Free resource to learn vocabulary, nice flash cards.

https://lingvist.com/
>It's kinda like Clozemaster in the sense that you get a sentence and have to fill in the missing word, also has nice statistics about your progress, grammar tips and more information about a word (noun gender, verb aspects for Russian, etc.)

ankisrs.net/
>A flash card program

https://www.clozemaster.com/languages
>Clozemaster is language learning gamification through mass exposure to vocabulary in context.Can be a great supplementary tool, not recommended for absolute beginners.

https://tatoeba.org/eng/
>Tatoeba is a collection of sentences and translations with over 300 hundred languages to chose from.

radio.garden/
>Listen to radio all around the world through an interactive globe
>>
collection of resources from reddit.
https://www.reddit.com/r/languagelearning/wiki/index#wiki_language-specific_resources
>>
If you are studying Russian and want some tips and stuff just msg me on discord transparentpain#8503

Inb4 nobody studies this shit language
>>
>>71167845
Я yчy pyccкий язык. What sound do the unstressed forms of я and e make? Also, can you hear the stress on и, ю or y?
>>
Who 普通话 here? Sino is dead as fuck.
>>
>>71170355
我也学中文。 我觉得他是太难了
>>
>>71170355
>>71171801

没人会说普通话。
>>
File: templar4.jpg (177KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
templar4.jpg
177KB, 1024x768px
>>71172666
Jezu maria
>>
Anyone trying to learn Finnish?
>>
>>71172735
cinaedus es
>>
>>71173305
I really want to for the memes, not sure how to start. Anyone got any recommendations? Already fluent in Spanish and learning Japanese btw.
>>
If anyone else is using Duolingo to learn French you should set up a club and throw the code in here
I wanna compete against you bastards
>>
>>71172666
我觉得如果你会说中文你不会说英文
>>
File: a6LYE2q_700b.jpg (100KB, 700x511px) Image search: [Google]
a6LYE2q_700b.jpg
100KB, 700x511px
>>71172735
Ja mowilem po polsku, przepraszam.
>>
File: 1485628184224.png (910KB, 1145x880px) Image search: [Google]
1485628184224.png
910KB, 1145x880px
>>71174170
to bialy na
>>71173983
>>
can anyone find any papers on comparing language expressiveness in writing? for example if you had 100 books, half translated from chinese to english and half translated from english to chinese; and you compared all versions of each and calculated how much on average the chinese books were shorter/longer? I'd like to see data comparing languages like this

thanks
>>
ensaji d'aprene l'occitan
>>
>>71174390
Do you mean a comparison of the information density of languages?

>https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/fast-talkers/
>http://www.ddl.ish-lyon.cnrs.fr/fulltext/pellegrino/Pellegrino_to%20appear_Language.pdf
>>
>>71176460
yes but in written text not speech
>>
File: duolingo.png (32KB, 878x660px) Image search: [Google]
duolingo.png
32KB, 878x660px
OMG!!!! This is the highest score I ever had!!!!

Almost 5/5 in German!
>>
>the French word for Germany is Allemagne
>the French word for Germany literally has the word "great" in it
KEK
>>
File: duolingo2.png (27KB, 876x610px) Image search: [Google]
duolingo2.png
27KB, 876x610px
>>71177065
Here is my German progress
>>
>>71177724
no offense but I think 9 months is a lot for a Duolingo tree
>>
Anyone else here learning Farsi? Getting a solid grip on the script is harder than I expected, reee.
>>
>>71177894
I know. Most people finish in 3 months. I actually have a 800+ day streak in German. I have been on Duolingo for almost 2 years.

I am not a clever man.
>>
>>71177988
At least you're persevering despite it, which is a great quality when it comes to studying. Congrats man.
>>
>>71177905
Trying.
>>
>>71178081
Thank you, Lars
>>
>>71174081
Que pasa contigo?
>>
>>71177905
>>71178099
It all looks the same to me, especially online when the print is like size 2. I wish there was a solid way to learn how to speak first since you need to know the vocab to really read anything anyways. I also wish there was a non-autistic way to find tutors/practice
>>
>>71177113
>The name Allemagne and the other similar-sounding names above are derived from the southern Germanic Alemanni, a Suebic tribe or confederation in today's Alsace, parts of Baden-Württemberg and Switzerland.

>The name comes from Proto-Germanic *Alamanniz which may have one of two meanings, depending on the derivation of "Al-". If "Al-" means "all", then the name means "all men" (being able and having the right to fight), suggesting that the tribe was a confederation of different groups. If "Al-" comes from the first element in Latin alius, "the other", then it is related to English "else" or "alien" and Alemanni means "foreign men", similar to the Allobroges tribe, whose name means "the aliens".

Saying Allemagne literally has the word "great" in it is like saying "lol Arsenal literally has the word Arse in it"
>>
>>71178396
Craigslist? I'll pay you $30 to teach me [language]. We can meet in a Starbucks
>>
>>71168584
What do you mean by stress? Mid-word stress is only relevant in the context of the said word. Naturally all vowels are neutral.
>>
>>71178396
Online print size is definitely annoying yes. At least books will transliterate words for at least the first few chapters, I find. As for it all looking the same, that helped me for the first part at least. One shape to learn for up to 4 letters, just learn the dots.
>>
Has anyone here tried learning Indonesian?
>>
>>71178854
i did
it was pretty easy
>>
Not currently learning anything, but I work as a translator from seven languages to English, most of which I taught myself. Questions? Ask away.
>>
>>71179805

Are you white?
>>
>>71179914
Yes. Not the kind of question I was expecting, but yes.
>>
>>71179805
What is your salary
>>
so i could/should (because i can't take anything else) german classes at uni, but i am not interested in the language itself at all. it would widen my oppurtunities and reading some german authors in original text could be cool, but i don't *enjoy* the langauge at all.
would it worth suffering 6 hours a week for maybe-oppurtunities which i will most likely never use even if i had them and for reading zweig and wittgenstein in its original?
>>
>>71180937
Should we support roaches learning German, or discourage them?
>>
>>71180961
jokes on you i already speak better german than half of the alamancıs :D
>>
>>71180878
I don't get a salary. Freelance translation work is paid per word. My rate varies from project to project, depending on the language and type of text.
>>
>>71180937
It's going to take several years to learn anything at that pace, especially if you're not interested
>>
>>71180982
But are you a greek?
>>
PORTUGAL CARALHOOOOO
>>
>>71181639
Estás a aprender português europeu, então?
>>
File: Immersion_logo.png (114KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
Immersion_logo.png
114KB, 640x360px
Let's talk about immersion for a bit, shall we?

Let's say I can go to any country to learn the language I want, but once there, what? What one should do? I mean, I don't need to work, so no colleagues relationship, I also don't need to study (graduated already) so no classmates relationship. I can't go around talking to people randomly and just by getting out to buy stuff is not enough. So, yeah, what should one do in order to get immersed in a language in a different country?
>>
>>71181243
which languages do you know? and what do you translate mostly, literature, academic stuff, business, etc ?
>>71181338
i am already at a2 level and if i finish this one succesfully i would be around b1. i used to be interested in german but now it just comes off as ugly and impractical to me
>>
>>71181862
>which languages do you know?
English, Portuguese, Spanish, Swedish, Norwegian, Danish, Russian, German.
>what do you translate mostly, literature, academic stuff, business, etc ?
My favorite projects are literature. Sadly, 99% of what people actually need translated is more boring texts: contracts, medical reports, business plan outlines, that sort of thing. I need money, so I'm not too picky about the kinds of jobs I take, as long as the client isn't a pain in the ass.

If I have my pick of a literature project or a legal project (but not both), assuming both pay the same thing, I'll take the literature one every time. Honestly, unless the price difference was really significant, I'd probably take the literature one anyway, even if it paid slightly less.
>>
>>71182126
good strategy with scandi languages and port-spanish, assuming you learned all of them later on.

how is the competition there in translation business, especially in literature?
>>
File: 1486900170141.jpg (7KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
1486900170141.jpg
7KB, 250x250px
>>71181748
>I don't need to work
Then volunteer at the church or something. Join hobby clubs and all.
Don't do like the fat sacks in Japan wanking in their room all day and coming back saying "waaaah the japanese are xenophobic meanie"
>>
>>71182288
Spanish I learned as a kid, since I had a babysitter from Mexico for several years. I got a little rusty after that because I didn't use it as frequently, but I picked it up again quickly. The rest I learned later, yeah.

The competition varies somewhat depending on where you're looking, how much experience / other qualifications you have, that sort of thing. One of the biggest problems that creates unnecessary competition is ignorance on the part of clients and translators alike.

As a rule, professional translators only translate into their native language. The going rate is around US$0.10 per word of source text, give or take a little. Many of the people who go looking for translation jobs online don't know anything about the industry, so they go "I speak two languages, sure, I can be a translator" and they jump right in, translating into their second language and undercharging for their services. Additionally, many of these people are located in countries with currencies weak to the US dollar, so they can afford to charge somewhat less than those of us who live in the Anglosphere. As an example, US$0.04/word is unacceptable to me, but a Brazilian guy whose second language is English can offer that price to someone looking for Portuguese > English translation and make R$0.12/word. My prospective client, who doesn't know any better, says "hey, that's a great price, less than half of what this other guy is charging" and gives him the job.

Recently, a Russian guy offered me $6 to translate a 1800-word article. When I informed him that I could not accept that kind of lowball rate under any circumstances, he told me that the writer was paid $6 to write it (so he's underpaying the writer too, great). He saw that I had a lot of experience and wanted to offer me the job, but he also had received bids from several less-experienced people who were willing to take the $6. I told him to go hire one of them if he wasn't willing to pay me a fair price.
>>
So I fell for the Russian meme.. Anyone know how to learn vocabulary? Study techniques or resources both wanted.

I thought the grammar was supposed to be a drag..
>>
>>71183686
Memerise, Lingvist
>>
>>71183815
Takk, får ta å se på det.
>>
>>71183815
>>71183951
lol why does duolingo even exist when we have memrise. Memrise actually has voice-acting instead of robotvoice
>>
>>71184233
>Voice acting
Can you turn them into japanese ? I don't like english dubs.
>>
>>71184473
What do you mean?
>>
File: rex6sg98pcfy.png (286KB, 2832x1712px) Image search: [Google]
rex6sg98pcfy.png
286KB, 2832x1712px
What does everyone think about this study schedule that post on reddit a few days ago?
>>
>>71184692
Anything from reddit is shit. Doesn't matter if it's good, it's shit.
>>
I made a pastebin with the links and resources

http://pastebin.com/LYUZCSmh
>>
>>71184692
It's a one-size-fits-all method, which is the wrong way to go about learning and teaching language. You can't take a room of 30 people and go "alright, you're all going to learn the language like this, go" and expect them to be successful, much less the hundreds of thousands of people who'll end up seeing that picture.
>>
I find regular paper too thin/bendy/flimsy for making flashcards. Where should I look to get the kind of paper used for business cards (carboard-esque), or what is its name (if this kind of paper has a special name). Preferably smaller "flashcard" size, but if need cutting that is fine.
>>
>>71186187
I can buy a whole lot of them already cut to size from my local newsagents. They're called system cards over here if that helps.
>>
>>71181243
What's the average payment you recieve for say 100 words?
>>
>>71188683
Nvm
>>
Is anyone here learning an exotic language? And by exotic I mean nothing from Europe and not Chinese or Japanese
>>
File: Sumerian_26th_c_Adab.jpg (105KB, 556x576px) Image search: [Google]
Sumerian_26th_c_Adab.jpg
105KB, 556x576px
>>71190480
>mfw I'm "learning" a dead language, Sumerian, to see if or how it influenced other languages
>mfw I have no face
Silim to you anon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1kZ-8wmDqqk
>>
>>71168584
You can hear the stress on any vowel. Unstressed я and e make an и.
>>
>>71191030
That's interesting anon. Good luck with it
>>
File: French Patois.jpg (123KB, 999x749px) Image search: [Google]
French Patois.jpg
123KB, 999x749px
>>71166105
>Occitan
>Franco-provencal
>Picard
>Not French

If you want to play to this game then fine(pic related)
>>
>>71183686

anki flashcards if u want to learn quickly
>>
>>71190480
What do you mean by exotic then? the languages of sub-saharan africa and the native languages of america?
>>
>>71186187

use electronic flashcards, anki goes on your phone even
>>
>>71190480
All completely irrelevant and pointless to learn unless you wish to move to a mudhut in some godforsaken country
>>
>>71195493

Probably any language outside the big few that always talked about here. Japanese, Chinese, Russian and the Germanics/Romances.
>>
>>71195493
South East Asian, Central Asian, Sub Saharan, Semitic, Oceanian, Native American, basically this >>71196600

>>71195843
No language is pointless except for maybe fictional languages like klingon or dothraki.
>>
>>71190480
türk
>>
>>71196999
>learn meme language
>lose it because it is impossible to keep active without moving to the third world
>>
>>71197772
speaking of losing languages, what happens when kids move or for whatever reason stop learning their native language when they're ~6? do they forget their native language by their 20s if they stop using it?
>>
>>71197772
>lose it because it is impossible to keep active without moving to the third world

But Sven, all you'd need to do is go to Malmo
>>
>>71197973
I know few immigrants like that and after 20+ years they can understand Turkish well but they have trouble forming sentences.
>>
Those who are learning a language that you'll most likely never speak or read, why do you want to learn it?
>>71190480
Inuktitut. I don't think it'll go well
>>
Learning Spanish is fun.

El aprender español me resulta divertido.
>>
>>71190480
I'm learning bengali, which is quasi-exotic
>>
How do you say, "put the baking in the oven?"

> Stellen Sie die Backform in den Backofen.
or
> Stellen Sie in den Backofen die Backform.
>>
>>71166105
>Is OP a faggot?
As always.
>What language are you learning?
I am beginning to learn Russian.
>>
>>71191030
Nice vid, but ancient people would probably laugh about it.
>>
Opinions on this? I've tried Pimsleur courses before and the spaced repetition thing does work but it always seems like the content of these courses is centered around limited subjects and I don't like how little they explain the theory building sentences.
>>
>>71206661

Try Michel Thomas instead.
>>
>>71192240
What does a stressed и sound like? I also can't hear the difference between unstressed and stressed ю.
>>
>>71211196
>>71179805, >>71182126 etc. here. With all due respect to Russians, Russians are incredibly bad at explaining their language to foreign learners. So much of the stuff that confuses learners of Russian is second nature to them. They aren't aware of it themselves, so they don't explain it well.

Generally, stressed и is [iː].
>>
I'm learning Italian but it's really hard to keep motivated to keep learning a language when you don't see any reason for it at the end of the day. Plus I enrolled in university language classes of Italian, and I have to say, I learned much more on my own, it helps with vocabulary however.

One thing I did to help learn languages a little bit was change my phone to Italian, and my computer, it's really annoying now and then because I have to take time out of my day to look shit up, but it helped me learn atleast 50-100 new words.
>>
>>71213947
I'm learning french just because. If you love the culture, you don't need a reason (job and shit) to learn language, for instance Borges learned german beacuse he liked its sounds, and because he could read Bretch, goethe and many others
>>
>>71212390
must be why they whine so much about basic article usage and zero verbs
>>
>>71214708
I don't have much experience with the reverse, Russians learning English. The number one issue I hear about is Russians trying to correct American learners' pronunciation of Ы.
>>
File: wheres_waldo.jpg (262KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
wheres_waldo.jpg
262KB, 1024x768px
sigh
why learn a European language when you're Asian?
You look so weird among natives
>>
How much easier is it to learn a third language after your second? Do they have to be really closely cognate? Like will Italian make German easier?
>>
>>71215754
>How much easier is it to learn a third language after your second?
much easier, because you know better what learning methods have worked best for you, you can spot your weaknesses more easily, and you are probably more familiar with things like cases

>Do they have to be really closely cognate?
no
>>
>>71215754
As >>71216499 said, there's some general knowledge about how you learn that transfers from one language to another, sure. If you're expecting to pick up a third language in 1/8 of the time or something, though, you have to pick two that are very close, like Spanish and Portuguese or German and Dutch.
>>
File: 1487024373258.png (1MB, 1853x1642px) Image search: [Google]
1487024373258.png
1MB, 1853x1642px
As an English speaker what is the easiest 2nd language to learn?

I don't understand what OPs picture means,
>>
>>71216702
Norwegian
>>
>>71167845
im trying to and fuck it hurts my head, god bless you though good sir
>>
>>71216702
Lexical connetion between the languages, the shorter the closer.

Probably a germanic or a romance language
>>
File: 20130126224230916.jpg (492KB, 984x1312px) Image search: [Google]
20130126224230916.jpg
492KB, 984x1312px
may/should i post my skype name on here, a 32 yr old American man looking for friends to practice German, Japanese, french hand Russian with.
>>
>>71216844
If you have questions, you are better off asking either a Russian linguist or someone who studied Russian; see >>71212390.
>>
>>71167845
Пoчeмy ты плoхo гoвopишь o cвoём языкe? Этo oчeнь пpeкpacный язык, чтoбы и cлyшaть и гoвopить.

(I'm shit at writing russki btw)
>>
bumpski
>>
>>71217490
>чтoбы и cлyшaть и гoвopить
You can't use чтoбы for this.

Пpиятнo cлyшaть. It's nice to listen to. (lit. "pleasantly to listen")
>>
>>71179805
How did you manage to learn German, give me a step by step schedule and also, how long does one go from zero to B1, assuming an hour a day of studying the language?

Thanks for your answers.
>>
>>71221658
>give me a step by step schedule
It's not exactly that simple. What takes one person a week may take another person a month, depending on how each person learns.

My method starts with pronunciation, before anything else. Be hard on yourself, or if you can't, get someone with a good ear to be hard on you: too many people get by with "good enough" pronunciation in the beginning and then have a difficult time retraining themselves to speak correctly later on. If you want to take a one-week trip to another country and don't plan on using the language after that, "good enough" is fine. If you really want to become fluent, there is only wrong pronunciation and correct pronunciation. You must make every effort to be correct. *

When you're comfortable with the sounds of the language, learn the basics of the grammar. Learn to recognize the little words ("the", "of", "at", "with", "she", "they") that glue sentences together. If there are other features, like suffixes, that you can use to figure things out, try to recognize those, too. That might mean you can look at a word and say "this is a verb in the third-person singular past tense"; alternatively, you may only be able to say "this is a verb". The important part of this is to be able to understand the basic structure of the language: I can write "The flibbertigibbet quindrongled a sminkful plammix" and you might have no idea what that means (in fact, it means nothing), but if you recognize the words "the" and "a", and the endings "-ful" and "-ed", you can work out that the structure of the sentence is something like "The (noun) (past tense verb) an (adjective) (noun)".

(1/2)
>>
>>71224435
At this point, you want to focus on vocabulary. Rather than using pre-built lists of words that someone else thinks you need to know, put yourself in situations where you need to know words, and then learn them. You can find an article that interests you in the language you're learning and try translating it into your language a paragraph at a time. Initially, you will experience some difficulty, because there will be more words that you don't know than words that you do—but you will be learning more, because you're actually using these words, not memorizing them to pass a test. You can also try doing some simple writing in the language. In any case, a good dictionary is your friend. You should also have a native speaker of the language check your writing and help you fix your mistakes.

* "correct" here means "acceptable to native speakers". This is especially relevant for languages like Norwegian that don't really have one "standard" accent or dialect. You're also not obligated to learn the prestige dialect of a language. If you want to pick up a Southern American English accent, go for it.

(2/2)
>>
I forgot the gulf between learning materials and native ones. Took me 30 minutes to read a couple of pages of Harry Potter.
>>
>>71216702
Based on the graph, dutch since its big enough to have a lot of material to learn from. Frisian would be too theoretical without finding a friesebro and french don't like it when you speak french to them
>>
>>71184692

For me personally I'd say that it devotes far too much of the proportion of time to Grammar. Unless you're dealing with a language that is reliant on cases (Russian for example), I'd forget about doing heavy grammar work until you get to B1.

I prefer to use audio methods to start with such as Pimsleur or Glossika which teach you to reconstruct and understand the language intuitively. Since my goal with learning a language is to be able to speak it, I don't want to be fumbling around with grammar inside my head when communicating with native speakers. I'd rather make mistakes but communicate effectively.
Does anyone have a Glossika account or the new Glossika schedule in PDF form?
>>
>>71228797
>I'd rather make mistakes but communicate effectively.
Which is why people will prefer to speak to you in English
>>
Does any native English speaker want to be my friend? I can help you with Spanish if you want
>>
File: 1487172405644.jpg (62KB, 600x402px) Image search: [Google]
1487172405644.jpg
62KB, 600x402px
>>71229147
Salam brother, how's your wife's son?

Actually when most people do prefer to speak English it's because they want practice.

>>71230561
Yeah alright, but only if you like Pinochet.
>>
>>71228797
you won't make it far in any language without a good grammar base
it's rather you are doing heavy grammar first, vocabulary and all the other stuff later
>>
>>71230889
Really? Because I don't know anything about English grammar, yet I seem to speak it quite well. Funny that.

Of course you should study grammar, but I prefer to get started with speaking first. Mind you that process must involve being aware and thinking of how the language works, you're just not reading a grammar book about it.
>>
>>71231284
>>71230832
Lemme guess, this is the first language you are learning, and all you can say in it is A1 "How are you" tier
>>
>>71232241
Nah, I'm actually on my second language other than my native one at the moment. I actually was going to learn German but then realised that I don't want to speak to Germans, and anyway if I did I'd have to learn Arabic or something. So I decided to do Spanish.
>>
>>71232717
>I'm actually on my second language other than my native one at the moment.
That is literally what I said, you lack reading comprehension in your native language
>>
>>71233029

Sorry, I actually meant to say that I'm on my second language, not including English.
>>
>>71233232
So it's safe to assume your method of learning a language failed, Chang
How long have you been learning Spanish and how good are you at it?
>>
>>71233277
I studied Russian at university and started Spanish a few days ago. It's really not a revolutionary or extreme way of learning, it's how you learned your native language as a child, you dolt.
>>
>>71233499
>a few days ago
Ok buddy
Also, we aren't children anymore, at least that's what you have to tell this site in order to browse it
>>
>>71233561
It's okay Hans, maybe if you used my methods by listening to the call to prayer every morning you could kindly ask Jamal to stop fucking your wife.
>>
>>71231284
> I don't know anything about English grammar,
yes because you were born in the language sphere
how exactly do you imagine you would speak without knowing shit about the grammar of a certain language?
upd just scrolled the thread, pls write something in russian
>>
>>71236759
and by certain I mean not native obviously
>>
>>71216978
Are you looking for friends or young asian mail order brides?
>>
>>71216702
middle hebrew
>>
>>71231284
>I don't know anything about English grammar, yet I seem to speak it quite well

You just don't know linguistic concepts.
Every native speaker of a language has an innate grammar. This persists even if you forget a lot of vocabulary.

E.g as an Estonian I can inflect a random noun that doesn't exist in Estonian in all grammatical cases.

E.g if you take the English word "vocabulary" and Estonianise the spelling - "vokäbuleri".
I know the partitive case is as in type "pere" - "vokäbulerit".
The partitive of type "elu" (identical with nominative) doesn't feel right for me. Both end with a vowel, but type "pere" is what is natural for me. Possibly something to do with word length.
>>
>>71241955
Eesti-chan, where do you learn English?
>>
>>71242433
What do you mean?
On the internet, of course. I've never spoken or written a word of English outside of school.
>>
>>71242550
Did you learn all your English from 4chan?
>>
>>71242550
wait, you also learned English at school?
>>
>>71242561
No.
>>
>>71242594
Yes, is that surprising? All European countries do.

We also learn Russian and German. (the latter is usually only taught in cities)
>>
>>71242646
It's just
weird

to imagine a population, with so many bilingual people.
>>
>>71190480
Afrikaans, because it's easy. I've thought about learning about ancient Sumerian though...
>>
>>71242776
I think it's weird to imagine a population with so many monolingual people.

There are very few monolinguals in Estonia. The youth all know English. Older people know Russian. But since it's not used, many have forgotten it. Various people know some German (e.g my father was taught German at school instead of English - born in the early 60s, but his English is still better than his German)
>>
>>71242776
You're the exception, I think. In most countries (that aren't third world at least), high schools will offer at least one language not native to the country, some even in elementary school.

Heck, over here, it's obligatory to have at least 2 foreign languages in highschool, English +1 (usually English +French or German).
>>
>>71242879
>Afrikaans
>Exotic
Fuck off, even if it's "technically" not European, it's a germanic language, and a disgusting one at that. It's the disgusting bastard offspring of the Dutch language that whored herself out to other europeans and even a bit of locals for vocab.
>>
>>71243915
>You're the exception, I think. In most countries (that aren't third world at least), high schools will offer at least one language not native to the country, some even in elementary school.
>Heck, over here, it's obligatory to have at least 2 foreign languages in highschool, English +1 (usually English +French or German).

We have to learn a second language in the UK too but very few truly learn it because most kids just don't see the point. They may go to france or spain once a year and 'know' in a theoretical sense that learning a second language is 'important' but for kids that's simply not enough to keep them interested.

You can see it with anglos here. There is no obvious second language so we struggle to pick one and when we do, we often lose motivation quickly.
>>
>>71244408
Don't get me wrong, few kids truly bother with keeping up the language after their school days (Though English is the exception, and most people of the current generation will probably keep at least a listening understanding due to the internet and shit)
>>
한국어를 공부하고 있는 사람이 있나요?
>>
I was thinking of dabbling in a little Espanyol before the missus and I go to Barça. I took a class in it some years ago, but it's still fairly good since I live in a Hispandex part of the US.

Are there any irregular forms for the progressive tense in Spanish I should know about?

I've known French for awhile, but they lack a progressive tense like Spanish... that's when you say something like "estas escuchando," right?

Fuck, read this while doing your best King of the Hill impression. Such a hick.
>>
File: mem.jpg (2KB, 68x102px) Image search: [Google]
mem.jpg
2KB, 68x102px
Tips on learning Polish?
>been doing Duolingo
>Try talking to my parents in Polish whenever I can
>Try texting friends in Polish
>Listen to Polish podcasts
Yet I feel as if I have made no progress
>>
>>71247274
Progressive aspect, not tense. Tense has to do with time; aspect has to do with the frame of reference for an action. In this case, it's an action that is ongoing, rather than being seen as an isolated occurrence at one point in time, for example.

You're already used to the progressive aspect in English: "I'm writing a letter" (in Spanish, "estoy escribiendo una carta") is present progressive. You can have past progressive, too: "I was writing a letter" (in Spanish, "estaba escribiendo una carta").
>>
File: 1449283777667.jpg (21KB, 229x173px) Image search: [Google]
1449283777667.jpg
21KB, 229x173px
Just a reminder
>>
>>71166105
Portuguese has 220 million native speakers and 260 million total speakers
>>
>>71252787
lol'd
>>
File: sad.png (29KB, 802x578px) Image search: [Google]
sad.png
29KB, 802x578px
>>71249259
:( I just took another hungarian test

I actually got worse in hungarian
>>
>duolingo
>100% free
How are they making money?
>>
>>71253748
They had investor money at first. Now it's gone.

Then they tried to crowdsource translations. That didn't work, because everyone was a beginner, not a native, and the translations were shitty.

Now they are selling "game tokens." If you get too many answers wrong, you could spend game tokens to keep gaining exp. Normally, you can earn game tokens by doing grammar and vocab exercises, but now you can just buy them
>>
>>71254321
The crowdsource translation was actually stopped because of some shitty EU law iirc
>>
>>71253748
In addition to >>71254321, they also are offering an English language fluency test that can be used by people whose native language is not English when applying to jobs, universities, etc.
>>
Does anyone here use graded readers?
Thread posts: 162
Thread images: 21

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.