[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hello, int How and how long have you been learning english? I

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 3

Hello, int
How and how long have you been learning english? I have too much bad grammar. I am trying to improve my level, but anyway I do a lot of grammar mistakes. Any advices about it?
>>
>can understand english fine
>suck at writing / speaking

Help me, /int/.
>>
You're both just lazy fucks, just like me

I'm righting, am I?
>>
Best way to learn any language is to interact with native speakers, so get anglo friends
>>
File: 1486858837397.png (140KB, 354x378px) Image search: [Google]
1486858837397.png
140KB, 354x378px
I'd say the key would be exposure to the language.
No other way around it, honestly I have little to no knowladge of grammar or structure myself, but i'm familiar with the language enough to be able and "feel" out what sounds or looks right.

Of course, the approach has it's downsides, but it can suffice I presume. Thus again, read, listen, speak and write, with premeditation that is.
Guess familiarising wouldn't be that far off the main thing.

Although, there is one thing I used to ephasize, thing being to approach the language like you did your native.
As a child you'd associate words directly with memories, senses, later on concepts and the likes. Then you refined it by, again, familiarizing yourself with how these words corelate to one another and how they are usually put together. Thus speech about "feeling" what sounds or looks right.
>>
Здpaвcтвyйтe .
Я гoвopю пo-aнглийcки c poждeния.
Я знaю pyccкий язык, нo тoлькo нeмнoгo.

Your English is easy to understand. Not perfect but well done.

I don't understand grammar at all. I really need to study it properly if I hope to learn Russian.
>>
>>71163699
your russian is fully awesome and well in your text. Without any mistakes.
>>
>>71163051
i started learning english in 1992 from a manual for my intel 386 processor based computer to actually use it. from there on i learned it just enough to manage the first computer games (rpgs full of dialogue options). when i went to school i already wrote and spoke it. the following 12 years i learned it at school. then i took courses in university for technical englishin the fields of chemistry, physics and informatics.

i got my toefl/ielts native speaker certs at grade 7 iirc.
>>
>>71163832
Бoльшoe cпacибo. Ho мoй cлoвapный зaпac oчeнь мaл.

>>71163683
Absolutely this. To communicate like a native you really need immersion.
>>
Self-studying since 2011 through english memes and pop internet culture (RWJ in the past, franku and h3h3 now), didn't read a single book in english.

Worked out pretty well. IELTS 8.0 (fluent speaker).

Sometimes fuck up my writing a bit (phrasing mostly), but can speak freely, although with a slight accent. Speaking is easier than writing.
>>
>>71164347
You should to have high IQ or something similar.
You can see in this thread, for example, that my english level is broken. I want to have good level, for now I am not sure, that I can to pass IELTS or something with big scores.

I have got good vocabulary, I can read and understand, can listen mostly, after travel to Canada I can speak too without a fear, but my grammar in writing or speaking is too bad.

I have a lot of shame because of this and so on. I am reading Raymond Murphy book and doing exercices on my mobile phone, but looks, like my level still bad.
>>
I can imagine, like it was to hear my russian accent and very bad grammar. I need to have some well level, around fluent. What I need to do?
>>
>>71163683
>>71164135
>exposure
>immersion
What exactly do you mean by this, elaborate and explain.
>>
>>71164539
It's likely because the way people study languages is completely fucked up.

People learn rules and shit without even having an idea of how the language works. Like why the fuck would you need to know the "to be" verb if you weren't speaking english for at least couple months.

Like, language is a tool. You can express your thoughts using the language even if you fuck up the grammar entirely. If you say "I eat borscht yesterday, tasty" everyone would understand, nobody gives no shit about your grammar.

You can learn how to communicate without learning the rules. You just go and start talking to people. Everything else, from wording to grammar will come naturally.

I don't know any rules or other crap like tenses or whatever, but you can see my english is doing fine. Exactly the same as you might not know all the rules in russian but be fluent in it.

How you learn language is the most important thing. Obviously it wouldn't work for some languages, but english is very similar (structure wise) to russian so it's a breeze studying it.

/rant
>>
>>71164671
>>71164768
Listen to the language constantly, through whatever media you have available.
>>
>>71164768
go to an anglo country and try to live like a local bloke
they don't speak any other languages so you're forced to use english and pick it up really fast
>>
File: akun ja mikin kanssa.jpg (31KB, 401x534px) Image search: [Google]
akun ja mikin kanssa.jpg
31KB, 401x534px
>>71164768
Just shitpost here,play CS and read books&magazines in english until you ace it.
>>
>>71164832
>>71164872
>>71164897

So, I need to be in English envirounment for fluent level? Without it I will not have this goal?

I am writing directly from head and quickly this and all other messages. So I am little thinking on english and can make some sence, but grammar often or mostly is sux and you can see it. So I have not any chance to improve it without living in english area?
>>
>>71165032
The key to becoming fluent is developing your inner monologue's language. Dunno how to explain better. When you start thinking in english your way of writing or speaking will start sounding very natural and have a nice flow.

For that you need to have english language everywhere - phone, pc, day-to-day chats, forums, whatever you read. Turn english on everywhere, watch english content, try to speak and chat in english, talk to natives.
>>
>>71164872
>>71164993
This is plausable.
>play CS
heck. rpgs, adventures would be more useful (and fun)

>>71164897
A bit over the board. But I'd play a game like that, let's say you're waking up in some village in France and everyhting even interface is in French, but slowly you get what people say, write words in diary or record it an dlisten.
Hell if somebody will make this kind of game, industry is stagnated as hell.
>>
>>71165032
well... yeah. russian sentence structure is very different from english (and estonian for that matter) so you'll have to adapt to it by listening to how it's actually spoken and re-arrange those braincells to get accustomed to it.

it might seem weird at first, but you might feel a bit of pain in your throat for a while since your vocal chords are adjusted for a specific kind of pronunciation...
>>
>>71165268
> russian sentence structure is very different from english

I disagree. If you speak proper russian, the structure if very similar. If your russian is a complete mess as well, then you're fucked. You'd not only have to learn english but also fix your native language.
>>
I often talk with people in teamspeak
Sometimes I manage to speak really clearly, sometimes I sound like the most stereotypical russian ever, sometimes I find myself unable to pronounce basic words and end up mumbling incoherently. What do I do ?
>>
>>71163699
Actually, u speaking like robot or something. No one speaking like that. (My eng is bad, I know)
>>
>>71163051
i do a think with thge brain and da wordz come out
>>
>>71165340
>I disagree.
i have a lot of russian friends who disagree with (You). they all say the most confusing part about estonian is the sentence structure and when they study english at school they feel like they're studying estonian, with a different vocabulary
>>
>>71165197
>chat in english, talk to natives
Do you know any chat with natives or English learning people?
>>
>>71165373
Continue, pay no mind.
>>
>>71165505
Nowadays it's very easy - Discord. There are hundreds of servers. Just go online at ~9pm brazil time, you'll only find americans everywhere.

>>71165443
Well, I can translate every single one of my messages here word-to-word to russian and get perfectly correct sentences. One out of ~5 sentences may sound weird but hey what can you do. I basically speak the same way I speak russian, and I get understood in both languages.
>>
>>71165748
>I get understood in both languages.
the only reason you are understood is that the natives rearrange your choice of words to make sense of what you said

here's an example of how you might sound weird if you use the same structure

in russian: ja tebe skazal
in english: i told you
if translated directly from russian: i you told
or maybe even: i say on to you...

you see where i'm going with this?

i lack the linguistic vocabulary to describe what's going on, but russian and english are widely different in terms of sentence structure so until you adapt to that you'll end up sounding weird, yet you'll make sense
>>
>>71165999
Ja tebe skazal or ja skazal tebe, it's doesn't matter the are equal.
>>
>>71165505
>>
>>
>>71166173
http://esl.fis.edu/grammar/langdiff/russian.htm
>>
>>71166181
If you're talking about 4chan, i'm sick and tired of this place
>>
>>71165399
Yeah it's because I have to think a lot about what I'm writing. My inner monologue is 100% English so my Russian is very unnatural.
>>
>>71166591
Ey hit me up on discord if you want some help with russian transparentpain#8503
>>
>>71163051
Since I was 8 and damn I fucking hated going to class, everyone was older than me by 3 years. It was pretty hard in the beginning for me because I didn't even know what verbs were in spanish so how the fuck was I supposed to know english grammar.

So that's why I can't give you an advice, I just picked it up because it was natural, haven't used english in an actual conversation for years now but it comes naturally, I think in spanish and english sometimes without realizing.
Thread posts: 37
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.