[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/lang/ - Language learning thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 104
Thread images: 8

File: 38.png (247KB, 701x735px) Image search: [Google]
38.png
247KB, 701x735px
>What language are you learning?
>Share language learning experiences!
>Help people who want to learn a new language!
>Find people to train your language with!

>Language learning resources:
http://4chanint.wikia.com/wiki/The_Official_/int/_How_to_Learn_A_Foreign_Language_Guide_Wiki

http://www.duolingo.com/
>Duolingo is a free language-learning platform that includes a language-learning website and app, as well as a digital language proficiency assessment exam. Duolingo offers all its language courses free of charge.

>>>/t/746368
>Torrents with more resources than you'll ever need for 30+ languages.

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B9QDHej9UGAdcDhWVEllMzJBSEk#
>Google Drive folder with books for all kinds of languages.

https://fsi-languages.yojik.eu/languages/oldfsi/index.html
>Drill based courses with text and audio.The Foreign Service Institute (FSI) is the United States federal government's primary training institution for employees of the U.S. foreign affairs community.These courses are all in public domain and free to download.Site may go down sometimes but you can search for fsi on google and easily find a mirror.

https://www.memrise.com/
>Free resource to learn vocabulary, nice flash cards.

https://lingvist.com/
>It's kinda like Clozemaster in the sense that you get a sentence and have to fill in the missing word, also has nice statistics about your progress, grammar tips and more information about a word (noun gender, verb aspects for Russian, etc.)

ankisrs.net/
>A flash card program

https://www.clozemaster.com/languages
>Clozemaster is language learning gamification through mass exposure to vocabulary in context.Can be a great supplementary tool, not recommended for absolute beginners.

https://tatoeba.org/eng/
>Tatoeba is a collection of sentences and translations with over 300 hundred languages to chose from.

radio.garden/
>Listen to radio all around the world through an interactive globe
>>
How the fuck do you stick to a language? I always fizzle out after a few weeks.
>>
>>70923360
reminding myself everyday that people from inferior countries know more languages than me
>>
>>70921894
I speak fluently English and Spanish, I'm currently learning German and Norwegian.
>>
>>70923753
can you vocaroo your english
>>
>>70923360
Well you can try memelingos daily streak and turn that thing into a game till it becomes part of your daily routine.
>>
Planning to learn Polish to appreciate its literature and poetry in its original tongue.
>>
File: english.png (53KB, 448x395px) Image search: [Google]
english.png
53KB, 448x395px
anyone know anything about the old versions of their language? can you understand it?

>pic related
>no
>>
Someone asked for easy to read Turkish stuff the other thread and here is an elementary book which should be easy to read.

http://img.eba.gov.tr/671/155/866/327/226/344/f47/914/f53/5ae/009/def/5b2/b26/006/671155866327226344f47914f535ae009def5b2b26006.pdf
>>
>>70924985
but I doubt that anybody sane enough would ever want to learn the roach language it just doesn't make any sense
>>
>>70925089
Still butthurt from the ban I see :^)
>>
File: frog gun.jpg (19KB, 403x392px) Image search: [Google]
frog gun.jpg
19KB, 403x392px
>>70925089
shut up
>>
>>70924595
500 years old texts are quite easy, 1000 back individual words or the approximate meaning of some sentences from the context.
>>
To those who speak a language that's not spoken by a majority of people, only spoken in a country that gets little to no tourism, or by your small ethnic group, how do feel about people who want to learn it with their only reason being that it'll be fun to learn or out of curiosity?
>>
>>70925363
Quite appreciative of their behavior , always nice when someone makes an effort
>>
Il serait magnifique si quelqu'un posterait quelques choses qui pourrait m'aider à améliorer mon français.
Au fait, quelle language, qui est similaire au français, devrais-je étudier après que je reçois un niveau C1?
>>
>>70924084
http://vocaroo.com/i/s1FbFSbc3tVH
>>
>>70925825
Spanish is probably the easiest followed by italian
>>
>>70925825
>langue similaire au français
la majorité des langues latines sont similaires au français
, je pense que l'italien est plutot proche
ou tu pourrais étudier une langue creole
>>
File: 1435133889628.gif (3MB, 600x300px) Image search: [Google]
1435133889628.gif
3MB, 600x300px
>>70925825
>>
>>70925897
quite british
>>
>>70925897
you sound like a retard
>>
>>70926088
it isn't that bad, no need to insult him for it
>>
>>70926088
stop posting
>>
>>70926088
At least I don't sounds like a cheap Slavic whore my cosack friend
>>
File: wojak.jpg (71KB, 707x500px) Image search: [Google]
wojak.jpg
71KB, 707x500px
>>70926088
Stop baiting people.
>>
>>70926179
interestingly enough, you're already judging not knowing what I really sound like
>>
>>70926277
Really activates your almonds
>>
Which is the easiest language to learn to read (outside of Afrikaans, dutch and the scandies)
>>
>>70929463
For anglophones it'd be Spanish.
>>
>>70929463
Scot
>>
>>70921894
>hungarian

>friend is from hungary so im learning through fsi and him

man this language is honestly fucked but zou know what, I want to learn it and live there.
>>
>>70925897

you sound like a right british lad

nice
>>
Forgot this

http://lexicity.com/
>An invaluable resource for comparative language study as well as those interested in ancient languages
>>
>>70924595
now that I've picked up on what it is I can figure out most of the words
although, without context, I would be pretty lost
>>
>>70931337
>they delete my utexas and lexicity links every time
Thanks, /lang/
>>
How/where can I learn persian/iranian/farsi? Memelingo doesn't have it
>>
I speak swedish, english, serbian and I am currently learning russian and german.
>>
>>70921894
What does "self-conscious" mean?
>>
>>70931138
any resources i could use to study hungarian from a beginner perspective?
>>
>>70933739

to be conscious of yourself in a negative way.

to be nervous or uncomfortable because you are worried about what people think about you or your actions
>>
>>70934523
Thanks
>>
bionp
>>
Ikh lern mikh Yidish.
Exploro linguam latinam.
J'étudie français.
>>
Incipivi linguam latinam discere ab primo anno scholae secundae. Possum loqueri latine aliquanto, sed possum intellegere amplius. Aliqiuis hic potestne intellegere vel loqueri latine?
>>
File: varg-vikernes.jpg (114KB, 762x464px) Image search: [Google]
varg-vikernes.jpg
114KB, 762x464px
>>70921894
How long before I get to the unconscious competence part of learning a language?

Also, I'd like to learn more than a few languages. Say I learn French/German/Italian, does all the grammar and words get all fucky and confusing in your head? Or is it pretty natural to separate them when speaking/writing?
>>
>>70937558
>How long before I get to the unconscious competence part of learning a language?
many hundreds of hours

>Say I learn French/German/Italian, does all the grammar and words get all fucky and confusing in your head?
no not at all but it might if you start learning 2 languages at the same time from nothing
>>
I can speak english and french, besides spanish and i want to improve, but for some unknown reason idk i'm stuck. I mean, i feel like learning new vocabulary it's useless because it doesn't stay in my head for long. I have tried making sentences but it just doesn't work. Any advice my friends?
>>
For the Ukrainian word "Cхoвaйcя":
Does it translate to "Hide" or "Hidden"? And is the proper romanization Shovaysia?
>>
>>70921894
Memelingo-ing through some Turkish; came across this sentence:

Ördekler ekmek yer.

Is this correct? Isn't it supposed to be "yerler"?

Also, how is ğ pronounced
>>
>>70939581
it is correct you don't need ler/lar but you can if you want

ğ is pretty much silent but it sounds like the transition between the o and i in "doing" where the middle of your tongue is in the position to make a "k" sound but never touches the top of your mouth
>>
b
>>
>>70931337
Shiiiiieeeet
I've been looking for this site for months
a friend showed me it ages ago but I forgot the name
>>
>>70933085
J-jesi li taj Angry Foreigner iz Youtuba?
V-volim te buraz
>>
>>70932176

http://www.easypersian.com/
>>
>>70937910
>>70937910
No one?
>>
Can anyone pass me some easy reading Spanish

For context I am learning from Mitchel Thomas audio files.
>>
>>70937910
I experience this with Spanish
However I feel like it's not exactly as bad as it seems.
When I first learned Spanish, if I learned 10 new verbs to add to my vocabulary of 350 words, that was massive
However once you get to a point where you can hold a normal conversation, the only words left to learn are more obscure.
And it's for that reason I think we don't feel like we're making progress.
For example I learned the word "paliar" today. But honestly, how often do we use the word "alleviate" in standard conversation.
In a few days I'll probably forget that I consciously know it (albeit I'll likely subconciously know it)
>>
>>70925363
It is really really appreciated. Read Shantaram by Gregory David Roberts.
>>
>>70921894
Learning me some Cymraeg, any tips anons?
>>
>>70925363
Ethnic Croat here.
I'm not sure if I count because Croatia has lots of tourism.
However, I do love it when I see non-croats speaking our language. Even when they make mistakes, I think it's so qt because it's pretty rare.
However, I cringe when I hear people say shit like "I'm going to learn X language because X women are sooo hot!"
Of course, this only occurs on 4chan and a few other places, but my point stands.
>>
>>70932176
I recently picked up two books. Lonely Planet's Farsi Phrasebook, a "Teach Yourself: Complete Persian (Modern Persian/Farsi)". The latter comes with two CDs.

>>70937426
Nemo.
>>
>>70932176
If you'd like, I have a few pdfs that might be of use to you.
just let me know and I'll drop them on 8ch
>>
>>70939141
It's "cхoвaтиcя" and it means "to hide (self)", a reflexive verb due to the "cя" part

Its proper Romanisation is: "shovatisya"
>>
>>70926179
Imitation of british, ukranian says about logical structure that you tried to pronounce and it sounds like you half-fin inbred.
>>
>>70944108
What ?
>>
Quenya or Sindarin?
>>
>>70946810
Sindarin without a doubt. Legolas is a best
>>
>>70943127
2/10 3/10 and if I mever use them, no one.
>>70943405
Yes, that's exactly what I feel...
>>
>>70947408
fuck off to /gsg/ faggot or else I'll call my bud Alex to teach you a lesson
>>
>>70924435

don't wast time on useless lang
>>
Will go soon in Austria for 1 year for my studies .
I'm terrible in german fml .
>>
Anyone tried that HelloTalk app? I wanted to practise some French with it.
>>
>>70950080
Lack of confidence in my target language is holding me back from using it more
>>
When learning hangul, should I concentrate on learning the readings of the already composed ones or just memorize the reading of each compound instead
>>
>>70939581
There is a rule for this but before that let me tell you no one would care if you said it the other way instead since it's really insignificant for someone to notice.If the subjects are human then you can say "yerler" or "yer" and both will be correct, but if the subjects are not human then rule says you can't add "-ler" "-lar" to the verb.For example:

>Kızlar ekmek yer.
>Kızlar ekmek yerler.
Both are correct

>Ördekler ekmek yer.
>Ördekler ekmek yerler.
First is correct, second is not.
>>
>>70950495
Yeah, same here.
>>
Guys, how do you expand your vocabulary? Because this thing is essential in learning languages.
>>
>>70951439
read a kids book in that language.
or just a novel.
>>
>>70950752
bump
>>
Everyone should check out /r/languagelearning's wiki.

It has an insane collection of resources.
>>
>>70937558
I speak portuguese, italian and english and when talking to myself (which happens quite a lot) my ideads flow freely between all the languages that I know because I feel like one language have a better way of saying something, or one have a better specific word for what I am trying to say, so in my mind its all mixed up, then when I am actually speaking to someone I get confused really quickly and need to stop and think. Things get awkward really fast.

>>70943405
>>70937910

I feel this way too. The way I see it there are two types of memorization: the one where you retain the words in your memory, and the one where you can actually bring the words you need from your memory to your tongue during conversations (active recall). Many times when having (trying to have) conversations I cannot recall the word I, need even though I know that I know it, it is frustrating. What I try to do to mitigate this situation is speak outloud the words I know, having conversations with myself, repeating phrases from movies, series, etc...
>>
>>70923360
>I speak Swedish, English, Norwegian, Danish and Spanish

Lol @ languagelets
>>
>>70953630
>speak standard Slovene, colloquial Slovene, standard Carniolan, standard Upper Carniolan, South Upper Carniolan, Central Upper Carniolan, North Upper Carniolan, English and German
I almost spilled my fine vintage wine after reading your post to tell you the truth.
>>
>>70953806
So you speak Upper-Hungarian, English and German?

Nice
>>
>>70953630
>Swedish Danish and Norwegian
Oh no, you speak languages that are pretty much mutually intelligible anyway. [spoiler]I jest, no clue how mutually intelligible the languages are[/spoiler].
Vids are related though.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FqgRC5sfCaQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-mOy8VUEBk
>>
>>70953891
I don't understand your implication, steppe Slav.
>>
>>70953960
Not that guy you're replying to. There is a big difference between understanding a bastardized, misspelled and mispronounced "language" and to be able to consistently know all the variations to then be able to say that you can speak it.
>>
>>70948269
you are useless
>>
>>70951256
Is there a difference in meaning having or not having -ler/-lar on verbs for human subjects or is the difference just trivial
>>
>>70954289
>when a swede actually convinces himself that his country's language is more correct and pure when sweden didn't even EXIST until centuries after its neighbouring country
>>
>learning Esperanto because it's easy and I'm bored
>everyone in the community is a massive faggot
>>
>>70957468
No difference in meaning at all, most people don't even know this is part of the grammar since it's a really arbitrary one.
>>
>>70958194
Wow, it's almost like the community is filled with people like you :^)
>>
>>70958194
>because it's easy and I'm bored
I can tell you won't learn it. Not one bit.
>>
>>70959196

That was a bit of an oversimplification. I'm enjoying learning it. After a few weeks I can already listen to music and understand a good bit. I will say it has been much simpler than Turkish though. So far at least.

>>70958794

Now that you put it like that I guess it's a match made in heaven.
>>
Guys I'm learning Russian, do you know some good Russian movies/series? I'm talking Sopranos/Breaking Bad tier if possible, or even something like Friends
>>
>>70943476
>Cymraeg
whenever i read this I always see cumrag.
>>
>>70957620
Okay so you're defending your language as being as proper as Swedish but how well would you defend other dialects in Scandinavian countries. In other words, would you defend Jysk or would you be like the Swede and call everything that's not Rigsdansk a bastardization.

(Not assuming anything of you personally, just curious of how Scandinavians think.)
>>
File: Screenshot_2017-02-08-16-46-39.png (54KB, 720x1280px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2017-02-08-16-46-39.png
54KB, 720x1280px
That's it
Fuck putin and fuck white people
>>
>>70965296
You're m8. Deal with it
>>
Italian is so fucking easy.

I can go on Duolinguo and pass new units with the test right away
>>
Why the fuck he shouldn't look behind himself? The strip should say "don't look past me" because you get conversation before fluency, and not the other way around
>>
dead
Thread posts: 104
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.