[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Childhood Misconceptions of Geography

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 11

File: childhood misunderstandings.png (13KB, 634x431px) Image search: [Google]
childhood misunderstandings.png
13KB, 634x431px
In this thread we shall discuss misconceptions we had about other countries and their peoples during our childhood.
For example when I was a child I thought that all the food sounding countries were next to each other and that Chile was the gateway between Europe and the Middle-East.
>>
Also, after I had first been told of Adolf Hitler by my parents, I came away with the impression that he was some midget creep who ran around the street shouting "Heil Hitler!" to random strangers with the intent of being rude to them,
>>
I thought Jamaica was located in Africa because I thought only niggers lived in Africa.
>>
I thought france people were black, because of their football team
>>
>>70828291
>>70828473
wow you guy are pretty retarded
>>70829863
you're not wrong
>>
everytime i heard any country name i had my own map in my mind as a child
and i don't remember how some areas looked like, but it was really disappointing to see it looks otherwise when they taught me in school
>>
I though Sweden was just an imaginary place where Wally Walrus lived.
>>
>>70828291
Only ones I can think of are
>thought Czechoslovakia was a thing because I had only ever heard of it in a historical context
>always got Bulgaria and Belarus mixed up because they both start with a B and Eastern Europe was an irrelevant mess to me at the time
>>
>>70828291
I thought Australia was a small island
>>
File: téléchargement.jpg (6KB, 197x255px) Image search: [Google]
téléchargement.jpg
6KB, 197x255px
i used to think Huston was the guy who's in charge of american space missions.
Later when i discovered that it was actually a city i thought that was where rocket were lunched, but it was actually from an other city.
Same thing for Baïkonour being in Kazakhstan instead of Russia. Big disapointment.
>>
>>70830066
Also I thought it didn't snow anywhere in the world except for North America, Europe and Russia and that England received a considerable amount of snow during winter.
>>
I thought all european countries were in a district of my city, the red square was in the east district, the colosseum in the south distruct, the eiffel tower in the west, and I couldn't see those because of the height of buildings
>>
>>70828291
I thought that North America in its entirety belonged to the United States.
>>
I thought the earth was round
>>
But a friend of mine failed his geography bac (" academic qualification which French students take at the end of high school") : he thought Taiwan was next to Cuba because it sounds like Hawaï.
No need to explain he didn't know where hawaï is either.
>>
>>70830066
i always mixed up
croatia and bulgaria
macedonia and moldova
sweden and scotland
>>
>>70828291
I thought Sweden and Switzerland and that all of Africa was a desert
>>
>>70830265
Sweden and Switzerland were the same*
>>
File: 1477571642001.jpg (53KB, 1000x800px) Image search: [Google]
1477571642001.jpg
53KB, 1000x800px
I thought every country was full with people and that new people could only exist because old ones died.
>>
i used to mix up the czech republic and china
>>
I thought that the English hailed from India because of similar starting names (Inglesi, and India).
I also thought that Finland was on the North Pole, because conflicting stories locating Santa Claus in different places
>>
I used to blurt out random sounds and assume that they were words in a foreign language and asked my mother what they meant (at the time I assumed that my mum knew everything because she was a grownup).
>>
The size of Africa. In my childhood it was small, empty and full of skinny black kids.
>>
I got Mexico and China confused a lot. I thought they spoke Chinese in Mexico...
>>
there was one pale redhead kabyle girl at my school so i thought they were a nordic country instead of shitskins
>>
I didn't know the difference between France, Germany and America.

I thought that Chechenia must be the second largest country in the world because they were fighting Russia which is the largest.

I though Turkey was near Greenland because Turkey is Turkki in Finnish and turkki also means furin Finnish and Inuits and Eskimos wear fur clothing.

I was confused between Ukraine and Hungary because in Finnish they are Ukraina and Unkari. Both start with U and have k, n, i, r and a in them.

I thought Cyprus was part of Greece.

I didn't know the difference between England and Great Britain.

I thought Belgian people spoke Belgian and Swiss people Swiss. I thought only nation states exist. I also thought Finnish is the most easy language because all the other languages sounded like gibberish to me.

All this was when I was like 5 years old. By 7 I already knew better
>>
>>70830590
>In my childhood it was small, empty and full of skinny black kids.
well you're not wrong
>>
>>70831780
>I thought that Chechenia must be the second largest country in the world because they were fighting Russia which is the largest.
I miss having this kind of logic
>>
I thought Europe was in Bulgaria.
>>
>>70828291
I always used to think that UK was the abreviation for Ukraine
>>
>>70828291
I thought that California was canada and canada was California
>>
>>70832670
And now you probably think that Bulgaria is in Europe? I have bad news for you...
>>
>>70830200
You aren't wrong
>>
>>70829863
holy shit i thought the exact same thing
>>
>>70828291
Finland is nordic,Balts and Hungary are slavic.
Romanians and Moldovans are gypsies.
>>
I thought people in Europe still acted like the Middle Ages
>>
i used to think china japan and germany was similir to each other. (i thought germany was asian)

i thought Hitler was a group of people ( ler is the plural suffix in turkish)

i thought all black people were ugly

i thought europe and america was gigantic while the rest of the world was small
>>
File: 1445386980450.gif (2MB, 240x180px) Image search: [Google]
1445386980450.gif
2MB, 240x180px
>>70828291
I always thought that Cambodia was in Africa. The name just doesn't sound asian at all.
>>
>>70837154
You weren't far off.
>>
>>70830339
I was afraid we would run out of air one day.
>>
I thought Germans and Poles were the same people, Turks were no different than other Arabs, thought they were a continuation of Iran.
Was almost oblivious that there was a country next to me calling itself Macedonia.

Couldn't tell any country in Eastern Europe apart.

Always confused Sweden with Finland.

And that was before I came here.
>>
Also that England was the UK
>>
mixed sweden and switzerland because in turkish they are called isveç and isviçre respectively.
>>
>>70837865
>(i thought germany was asian)
not wrong, we took care of that.
>i thought all black people were ugly
not wrong.
>>
As a kid i thought that all african people spoke something like " mutumbele wuatango babungurunguru mashelele" then i discovered that it's true
>>
I thought Washington state was where the president lived.
>>
File: 1484399123113.png (64KB, 658x901px) Image search: [Google]
1484399123113.png
64KB, 658x901px
I thought every country had an almost equal population and were divided up the way they are now so wars would be fair
>>
I thought Europe was full of rich fancy people that lived in castles
>>
I thought I was white.
>>
File: 1313195437486.jpg (56KB, 413x570px) Image search: [Google]
1313195437486.jpg
56KB, 413x570px
When I was a kid and there was buzz about Quebec wanting to separate from Canada, I thought they were going to cut it off with chainsaws and sail it into the ocean.
>>
File: Eurasiamerica.png (442KB, 4276x1656px) Image search: [Google]
Eurasiamerica.png
442KB, 4276x1656px
When I was about 6 I thought that most of Eurasia was America. On American TV shows I saw maps of just the US like on the right but the map I had as a child didn't have borders marked. So I thought that Eurasia must be where America is because of these minor similarities and the maps I saw on cartoons were just less detailed. Also everyone always said that America was really big.
Then my brother corrected me.
>>
i thought i was turkish

i am greek
>>
I never had any misconceptions. when I was very young I had an autistic obsession with topography.
>>
>>70828291
Got quite a few of those:
1. I thought they spoke Australian in Australia and I was convinced it was not a civilized country but just full of tribe people
2. I always thought Albania is somewhere in the middle of asia or something.
3. Thought Montenegro wasn't a country but literally a huge black mountain.
>>
>>70845134
>3. Thought Montenegro wasn't a country but literally a huge black mountain.
that would be cool as shit, I never thought that but I'm still disappointed it's not true
>>
I always mixed Hungary with Netherlands , idk why and I though that all people are Serbians just living in different countries
>>
I used to think Japan was in africa for some reason
>>
File: 1469444871522.png (211KB, 599x673px) Image search: [Google]
1469444871522.png
211KB, 599x673px
I saw Kaliningrad on a map without any name on it and thought it was an unclaimed piece of land.

>>70831780
>I was confused between Ukraine and Hungary because in Finnish they are Ukraina and Unkari. Both start with U and have k, n, i, r and a in them.
I had a similar thing with Hungary and Bulgaria. One because their flags were similar but also because Bulgaria starts with bolg which is Irish for stomach and Hungary sounds like hungry.
>>
I used to think that swedish people are mostly blondeand white, although a lot have some black/brown skintone
>>
File: 1485520403551.png (163KB, 303x566px) Image search: [Google]
1485520403551.png
163KB, 303x566px
>>70845295
>idk why and I though that all people are Serbians just living in different countries
>>
File: Nederlands Servie.png (244KB, 2000x1333px) Image search: [Google]
Nederlands Servie.png
244KB, 2000x1333px
>>70845295
but we are
>>
>>70831780
>I didn't know the difference between England and Great Britain.

a suprising amount of adults still don't know the difference. don't even excpect people to know the difference between britain, great britain, the UK and brittany
Thread posts: 62
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.