[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I seem to have a real problem with forgetting languages I've

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

File: 5735307159_4ed0605a93_b.jpg (151KB, 750x499px) Image search: [Google]
5735307159_4ed0605a93_b.jpg
151KB, 750x499px
I seem to have a real problem with forgetting languages I've learned. What are the best ways to get back into languages I already know? What are the best ways to retain languages I've studied?

>Study French in high school and a little in university, speak with French people all the time and even read Le Comte de Monte Cristo
>Haven't used French in over 10 years and I can't even form a single sentence at this point
>Work as an Arabic translator for 3 years, never really mastered speaking though
>Haven't used it in 6 years, and I can now only understand MSA, can barely understand spoken Arabic
>Study Japanese (passed N2) and live in Japan for half a year, read plenty of books and comics
>Haven't used it in 4 years and I can still understand simple Japanese but have a hard time reading serious texts
>This all ties back to how I spoke fluent Spanish when I was 3 years old, but forgot it completely when I grew up
>>
>>70489786
See a doctor, it might be a sign of alzheimer's
>>
>>70489786
It's impressive that you have learned those languages in the first place. You are most likely just rusty with japanese and arabic With french a language learned in highschool can be easily forgotten if you haven't used it for as long as you have. If you don't use a language for years it will naturally get weaker and weaker.
>>
>>70489786
Why don't you have a job of translation as side work?
>>
>>70489786
I guess the reason why is that you concentrate your current work so much.
Therefore it is not wrong thing.

Though, might as well your past knowledge should be strengthened.
For example, why don't you relearn a basis of your past knowledge again?
You never forget the knowledge that you remember a basis completely.
It is not a thing about language, but I have relearned my knowledge of a basis of my past work for a long time.
I'll never forget this knowledge.
>>
>>70489786
You must be a very old man to have the time to learn all these languages and then forget them years later. You need to see a doctor for dimensia.
>>
>>70489786
Or perhaps I should say, you should forget wrong things.
You should think a concrete measure, or you should forget.
What do you want to do? You should say that.

Any person doesn't have a time.
Therefore he hears someone's request, and he just acts that.
There is no person who disturbs that intentionally except such this site basically.
It is most important that you tell your will.

In this site, you need to play games of infinity.
That is a waste of a time.
This is not a problem whether or not this site is good.
You should select a tool as needed.
If you want only to play, you should use here.
>>
Thanks everyone for your replies

>>70490199
>>70498420
I am actually going to be a doctor next year and I can assure you that it is not. Thanks for the concern.
Also, not that old, I'm 27, started studying all languages around Junior high, stopped with French around the time I was 17, Arabic when I was 21, and Japanese 23.

I guess I should also mention that the main reason I want to get back into all those languages is that I am hoping to be able to converse with patients more easily that way, in my country we have many patients who speak Arabic and French, and not so much Hebrew or English.

>>70493053
True, I was hoping to keep reading news sites in all languages I speak so I don't forget them, but I always end up quitting when I get busy at work/study.

>>70494148
Did that for a few years, but I can't keep it up together with my regular work and studies.

>>70495642
>>70498905
I see what you are saying, and I can see where it is coming from. But at the end of the day I wonder if restudying the grammar of Arabic every once in a while will be enough to allow me to converse with Arab patients, which is my hope at the end of the day (except Japanese, where I'd really just like to be able to go back to reading a good book every once in a while).
I'm sorry, I didn't really get all the part about playing.
>>
>>70500928
I guess you have learned by your natural talent once.
And that can be forgotten probably.
Therefore you had better master a basis of those knowledge again.
And then that will help you to learn other things.
I think so.
>>
>>70501357
Might be true, I did study a lot by talking to people and watching movies, though I also have formal education in all three languages. But it might be best to start from the basics again
>>
>>70489786
>>This all ties back to how I spoke fluent Spanish when I was 3 years old, but forgot it completely when I grew up

Are you Sephardi ? There are still some sephardies in Spain living in Ceuta and Melilla.
>>
>>70501790
Nope, my father's family is from Argentina, and my grandparents used to speak Spanish to me when I was a kid. I spent a lot of time with them until I was 3-4, but afterwards I didn't see them much since they lived in a different city, and I forgot all my Spanish.
Argentinian Jews generally came from Russia during the 19th century, so we are all Ashkenazi.
>>
>>70501585
Yes.
Even if it is a thing that we learned for several ten years, it is valuable that we learn that again.

And many people have a same type of trouble as yours.
Therefore anyone who hears about your will doesn't make you a loss
Perhaps you may think 'why is there anyone who does a thing of no merit?'.
Though every people do it.
Because anyone has a same trouble as yours.
>>
>>70501585
Actually, to be asked questions from Japanese learners is useful for me also much.
Because I myself research about Japanese language at that time again.
That knowledge often helps me to write a document of my work.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.