[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Have the US ever won a war?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 12

File: wall.jpg (432KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
wall.jpg
432KB, 1920x1080px
Have the US ever won a war?
>>
They've never lost one
>>
>>70450795
vietnam irak afghanistan
>>
>>70450771
They took Texas from Mexico. That's the closest thing I can think of, if it's a fair and proper "War" you're looking for.
>>
>>70450795
MISSION SUCCESFUL :DDDDDDDDDDDD
>>
>>70450811
>those were losses
>>
>>70450834
>Yes
>>
>>70450771
We have won a lot of wars
But look what we are now
Victories mean nothing my friend.
>>
>>70450852
>But look what we are now
Russia? I think a lot of countries would happily switch places with Russia.
>>
Grenada '83 and Gulf '91 were spectacular American victories.

You could also count the world wars and the banana wars if you go back in time.
>>
>>70450872
But not you I guess and this is exactly what I meant
>>
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (37KB, 480x360px)
hqdefault.jpg
37KB, 480x360px
>>70450771
>French & Indian Wars (7 years)
Won
>War of Independence
Won
>War of 1812
Lost
>Mexican American War
Won
>Civil War
Won
>Spanish American War
Won
>WWI
Won
>WWII
Won
>Korea
Draw
>Vietnam
Lost
>Iraq I
Won
>Iraq/Afghanistan
Arguable leaning toward lost at this point

(I have omitted smaller conflicts like Panama, Grenada, Somalia, etc and the long standing complicated Indian wars)
>>
Revolutionary War: Won
War of 1812: Draw or win, depending on how you look at it
Indian Wars: Won
Mexican War: Won
Civil War: Won
Spanish-American War: Won
WWI: Won
WWII: Won
Korean War: Draw or win, depending on how you look at it
Vietnam War: Lost
Gulf War: Won
Afghanistan War: Won
Iraq War: Won
>>
File: -_by_Javad_Alizadeh.jpg (103KB, 388x600px) Image search: [Google]
-_by_Javad_Alizadeh.jpg
103KB, 388x600px
>>70450989
>>War of 1812
>Lost
>>Mexican American War
>Won
>>Iraq/Afghanistan
>Arguable leaning toward lost at this point
only ones that count
>>
>>70451054
>War of 1812: Draw or win, depending on how you look at it
The US declared war and got nothing but death after 4 years. Tell me how that's a win?
>>
>>70451173
Because they believe 200 year old propaganda and yellow journalism that say the war was about sailor's and trade rights and because no significant territory was lost or gained by either side (though Britian did keep a military presence in America until 1817 in then Mass now Eastport, Maine)
>>
>>70450902
look at what you came from
just in the 20th century you were an undeveloped, feudal country
now russia is a nuclear power with resources, industry, houses, educational system, internet and blablabla
probably takes another decade to improve further but you did so rapidly in the past
>>
>>70451173
US had two major war aims.

one aim was a misguided aim to liberate the Canadians from British rule. turns out, most Canadians didn't want independence or representation for another 100+ years, and that war aim failed.

the other aim was to destroy the Tecumseh Confederacy (native american alliance with European support). This war aim was a success, and allowed for the US to expand their border Westward more easily.

British troops also burnt down the white house, but at that time, DC was barely even a city, and not very impressive compared to any of the State Capitals.
>>
>>70451232
Reminder that in that war, the Shawnee won battles against Americans by literally dancing in circles.
>>
>>70450834
Yup
>>
>>70451430
The Indians put up a good fight under Tecumseh, but ultimately they were savages who would, more often than not, slaughter surrendering soldiers and even womem or children in forts. This rightly terrified the Americans and caused the loss of more than one battle that otherwise might have been won. Just the threat of Indians was sometimes enough
(America did have a militia of Kentucky rifleman that were specifically sent to deal with the Indian and Voltigeur guerrilla threat and were very good at it, though too little too late)
>>
File: screenshot_151.png (8KB, 305x113px) Image search: [Google]
screenshot_151.png
8KB, 305x113px
>>70451416
>another 100+ years
idiot
>>
>>70451281
>nuclear power with resources, industry, houses, educational system, internet and blablabla
You just described Pakistan, you know what I mean?
>>
File: american zed.jpg (45KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
american zed.jpg
45KB, 1280x720px
>>70451416
>the other aim was to destroy the Tecumseh Confederacy (native american alliance with European support)
Why are americans so racist? What made expanding west such a massive necessity?
>>
>>70451643
Good point.
>>
>>70451578
>Indians were savages who would slaughter surrendering soldiers and women and children
WTFFFFFFFFFFFFFF fucking white racist propaganda they were one with nature and peacfulll just watch pocahontas or dance with wolves fucking retard nazi.. fuck all whites need to die
>>
File: Ameribus.jpg (288KB, 1200x900px) Image search: [Google]
Ameribus.jpg
288KB, 1200x900px
>>70451711
muh manifest destiny
>>
>>70450989
>French & Indian Wars (7 years)

It was the british empire technically
>>
>>70451626
>The Canada Act 1982 (1982 c. 11) is an Act of the Parliament of the United Kingdom that was passed at the request of the Canadian federal government to "patriate" Canada's constitution, ending the necessity for the British parliament to be involved to make changes to the Constitution of Canada.
>>
US MOTHERFUCKING A BACK TO BACK WORLD WAR CHAMPS YOU
SUCK OUR DICK YOU BETA FOREIGN KEKS LMFAO
~WEEEEEE ARE THE CHAMPIONS ~
NOOOOOOO TIIIIIIIIIME FOOOOR LOOOOOOOOOSERS CUZ WE ARE THE CHAMPIOOOOOOOOOOONS
>>
>>70451770
>dat pic
wtf happened
>>
>>70453007
http://www.witn.com/home/headlines/Trio-charged-with-shooting-at-vehicles-including-school-activity-bus-347704781.html

>Trio of ""youths""
>>
>>70453007
It's the work of a Serbian born Canadian artist whose ""'art""" is always just random things covered in, or made of, bullet holes. He often does this regarding American things like JFK, Ronald McDonald, etc.
>>
File: UK_US_Flags.jpg (542KB, 1698x1131px) Image search: [Google]
UK_US_Flags.jpg
542KB, 1698x1131px
>>70450771

>Spain
>Britain
>Germany
>Japan
>Russia

Honestly, we win against important countries and fail to occupy irrelevant shitholes (Philippines, Cuba, Vietnam, etc.) I'd rather have it this way than have the reverse, because in that case we'd still belong to Britain.
>>
>>70451992
>I know nothing about commonwealth politics: the post
>>
>>70451711
>What made expanding west such a massive necessity?

It began in 1763.

https://history.state.gov/milestones/1750-1775/proclamation-line-1763

The Brits won the Seven Years War against France. The British Empire gained the territory between the colonies and the Mississippi River, and immediately colonists began pouring west into Britain's new winnings.

Native Americans got pissed, lashed out at British soldiers, and the British Empire passes the Proclamation Line of 1763 forbidding colonists from exceeding the original 13 colony lines. Unfortunately for them, they very soon (within a decade) passed the Stamp Act, Sugar Act, Tea Act, and all sorts of other shit to tax the colonists and pay for the Seven Years War, which bankrupted them.

This is why we rebelled. It wasn't one single issue, it was a lot of stuff happening all at once. A side effect of defeating the British meant that we could resume settling westward, and we did precisely that. We crushed every single Native American tribe from here to the Pacific, even ones like the Comanches which defeated the Mexican Empire at war.

>b-b-b-but they're poor defenseless natives!
Yeah I bet that's how the Romans viewed the Goths as well. After all, the evil technologically advanced civilization always wins against the innocent oppressed barbarian tribe, right?
>>
>>70454733
>American education
>>
>>70454267
>Spain
>important
Sure
>>
>>70451054
Manchuria was working to block expanding communism from Soviet Union.
It was lost by WW2, then communists took China, then Korean war and Vietnam war happened.
That is the reason Japan obsessed Manchuria before WW2.
But America didn't understand it well. So Japan attacked to Pearl Harbor.
>>
According to Wikipedia we have a 97-4-4 win-loss-draw record in war.
>>
>>70450795
>1812
>korea
>vietnam
???
>>
>>70450771
Revolution
Spanish American
Mexican American
WW1
WW2
Korea
Iraq
Afghanistan

Before someone gets as ass blasted about the last three all goals were accomplished.

Draw: 1812

Before we were a country:
Peqout Wars plus probably some others against the natives.
French Indian War.
>>
>>70450880
>Grenada '83 and Gulf '91 were spectacular American victories.

I wouldn't count Grenada as a war but I forgot about Gulf '91
>>
>>70451416
They burned it in retaliation for us burning York desu.

They also stopped kidnapping are sailors.
>>
>>70450771

USA as won the ultimate war against anorexia, god bless them!!!!!
>>
File: 1484885728804.jpg (14KB, 238x192px) Image search: [Google]
1484885728804.jpg
14KB, 238x192px
>>70459925
spen
>>
>>70450989
How can you lose a civil war? The side forming the government is always going to be the winner.
>>
>>70450834

Although never officially declaring war they basically are. Iraq was a Vietnam was poorly planned out and top brass being hesitant was fatal, Iraq was very similar once the main push was over and also left unfinished, Afghanistan was caught up in red tape not letting the military so what it does. Politics got in the way of being effective.
>>
>>70459781
>1812
>Draw
umm no sweetie x
>>
>>70460107
If the established state loses then you lose, like the Russian revolution
>>
>>70460107
The Confederate States of America lost to the United States of America
>>
>>70460237
If you recognize the opposing side as a sovereign state then it's not a civil war.

>>70460157
Yes the establishment loses, but you can't very well count that as the country winning or losing a war.
>>
>>70459892
>are
-_-

They stopped kidnapping sailors, and by this you mean drafting British subjects who ran to America to avoid the Napoleanic Wars, because they were no longer needed. Parliment's cessation of Royal Naval impressment had nothing to do with the War of 1812.
America believed they were destined to rule the entire continent, it was their divine destiny they were to make manifest. Every quote from the government and military made clear that this was a land grab. Despite being ostensibly about sailors and trade New England, who were most damaged by these things, was firmly against the southern War Hawk's efforts to declare war (for more farm land) to such an extent that they considered leaving the USA. With Britain busy handling Napolean, and weakened by his embargoes, the purchase of the Louisiana Territory, the USExEx staking a claim to the lands held by the Hudson Bay Co., and the fact that their had been a huge influx of Americans into Canada (not loyalists), led America to believe that Canada would be "a mere matter of marching" as one statesman put it.
They might have been right, but the dumbass Americans decided to raze York, harass farmers, etc, and this really angered the recently arrived Americans who took up arms for Canada, America was soundly beat in 1812 and all but one inconsequential battle in 1814 (New Orleans), they did well in 1813, but not well enough to gain their ultimate goal of Canada.

This is considered a loss, not a fucking draw

(They did manage to end the largest Indian menace though which was necessary for the push west)
>>
>>70460383
It's not an issue of recognition, the US South declared war forming the CSA and the US North (USA) won this civil war. After 4 years they prevented the CSA from gaining legitimacy and permanence.
Everything else is just semantics
It wasn't a revolution, where one ideology tries to take control of the nation, it was a pure civil war where one party attempts to gain independence from the other (and lost).
>>
>>70460737
this desu
>>
>>70459519
Korean war wasn't lost, you secured half of Korea, before you intervened South Koreans were on the edge of total annihilation
>>
>>70450811
I have no idea how retards can say we lost the Iraq War. We literally occupied the territory and crushed any military resistence.
>>
>>70463109
You entered Iraq to stop WMD research/construction/use and to end the threat of terrorism that Iraq posed.
It turned out there wasn't much in the way of WMDs and Iraq is now a hotbed of ISIS terrorism.
>>
The US civil war.
>>
>>70450795
Folha cancerĂ­gena.
>>
>>70463109
We won militarily for sure. There's really no doubt about it, we overthrew the regime, the Iraqi Army surrendered, the Baath Party is no more. The fact that ISIS happened does not change the fact that we invaded and conquered Iraq in like a month.

We withdrew is because democracy is fickle, and civilian control of the military means that the people don't have a stomach for long, brutal, protracted counter-insurgency campaigns. But at no point were we defeated militarily, by any metric. Body count, territory, etc. we were ahead with them all.

>>70463377
>It turned out there wasn't much in the way of WMDs
The faulty rationale is irrelevant when discussing if the US won or not. By that logic the Norman conquest of England was a failure because William the Conqueror didn't have the best claim to the throne. That being said, the invasion of Iraq was bullshit and I hope there's a special place in hell for the people that orchestrated it, with the fires hottest around the neocons and Netanyahu. But reasons don't matter for winning wars.

>Iraq is now a hotbed of ISIS terrorism
Honestly, that's just proof that democracy isn't always right. People blame Obama for ISIS, but the fact of the matter is he campaigned HEAVILY on getting troops out of Iraq. Not doing so would be like Donald not building the wall. (Trump might or might not, that's a conversation for a different thread; the point is that Obama, in a rare case for politicians, delivered on one of his signature campaign promises).

So the people wanted us out of Iraq, and elected a candidate who promised us that. And we got exactly what we wanted, which was our boys back home.

And people have the audacity to blame Obama for that, when that's exactly what everyone wanted back in 2008. It's shitty, especially when there's many, many better and more accurate things to criticize him for.
>>
>>70463818
We won that too. I'm pretty sure we brought those inbreds back into the Union.

Now, not rounding up and hanging all the traitorous scum was a mistake. But that doesn't change the fact that we won.

>>70451173
War of 1812 Results:
>Military stalemate
>American invasion of Canada repulsed
>Status quo ante bellum with no boundary changes
>Defeat of Tecumseh's Confederacy

So the Brits (and their maplenigger allies) failed to invade us and we failed to invade them. Looks to me like we either both won or both lost.
>>
>>70464557
>better and more accurate things to criticize him for.

A big one is rejecting who they democratically elected.
ISIS started as an Iraqi rebellion against this.
I understand why they do these things but expecting some puppet government who's an enemy such a huge percentage of the people to work out without superior military force behind it is insane.
>>
>>70464747
The Brits and their maplenigger allies never tried to take American soil, they did not want and did not declare a war. Their only objective was to keep Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, and the Canada's (upper & lower) out of American hands.
They accomplished this, meaning they won.
>>
File: 1465435870691.png (132KB, 396x385px) Image search: [Google]
1465435870691.png
132KB, 396x385px
has finland ever checked these dubs
Thread posts: 66
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.