[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Post interesting facts about your language

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 3

The word for "portuguese" in my lanugage actually is "pero" which is the name of the first european explorer to enter Brazil
>>
sounds like you are a big fan of the guy
>>
"ryssiä" means you fucked up, and it also means being russian
>>
There are about 100 words left in France originating from gaulish, most of them are nature-related.

For example, alose (a fish), chêne (an oak), If (another tree), or even mouton (a sheep).
>>
We say "ngordhi"(die) only when animals die(except bees),and "vdiq"(die) when humans or bees die.
>>
"polando" means beautiful, pretty and Poland
>>
Many of our weekdays are named after old gods
Tisdag (Tuesday) = Tyr's day
Onsdag (Wednesday) = Odin's day
Torsdag (Thursday) = Thor's day
Fredag (Friday) = Freyja's day
>>
Tua língua é o português, curumim.
>>
we have backwards interrogation and admiration marks.
I find them more natural to use when i'm reading tbqh.
! ¡ ¿?
>>
>>69880681
I like these. Sometimes I'm a dumbass that forgets to raise my tone at the end of a question so the warning helps.
>>
In German, nouns are capitalized.
>>
well you're all familiar with english, so i'll talk about my specific dialect of english

in yorkshire, we still use a lot of old norse words (or slight corruptions)
for instance, the typical yorkshire greeting of "ey up" actually comes directly from old norse, and is closer to the swedish "sey upp" than the english "hey" like you might expect; in fact originally "ey up" meant "watch out" (which it still does in certain cases), rather than "hello" like it does today

there is of course lots of old norse in the english language, as that is one of its roots, but there are many more found in yorkshire that don't tend to appear in other dialects

this is all thanks to yorkshire's importance in danelaw england, and is not only evident in language but the genetic makeup of the region (it is the only area of england not r1b dominant, but instead l1)
>>
Just like the Inuit have hundreds of different words for snow, Swedish has 74 different ways to name anal sex.
>>
The strongest french canadian swear words pretty much all come from religous terms instead of sexuality like France's french or english

For exemple, saying "fuck" in public wont trigger any reaction from anybody, while saying "tabarnak" (tabernacle) most likely will get a minor reaction from bystanders
>>
>>69880496
this is the same in english btw

tuesday means tīw's day
wednesday means wodan's day
thursday means thor's day
friday means frig's day

each being the angle equivalent of the same gods
>>
>>69881422
Sacrebleu!
>>
File: bar-refaeli-israel-560881174.jpg (316KB, 1200x945px) Image search: [Google]
bar-refaeli-israel-560881174.jpg
316KB, 1200x945px
Most biblical names have literal meaning in Hebrew that probably only Israelis are aware of regardless of having a dictionary around.

Jacob -> Yaakov -> follow/ankle
Jesus -> Yeshua -> salvation
Daniel -> Daniel -> god judges me
Ariel -> Ariel -> lion of god
Jonathan -> Yonatan -> god given
>>
>>69881528
fun fact: no french speaking nation use that word anymore

It sounds as exotic to me as it must sounds to you
>>
English has this vowel which is supposedly somewhat rare
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open-mid_central_unrounded_vowel
>>
>>69877064
The word Perro means Portuguese in spanish.

Also means dog, but they both sound the same.
>>
File: images (2).jpg (6KB, 180x145px) Image search: [Google]
images (2).jpg
6KB, 180x145px
>>69880663
pero nhe'enga n'aîkuab gué!
>>
We have this
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Belarusian_Arabic_alphabet
>>
>>69882380
what the fuck
>>
>>69882409
Bleruas
Yes
>>
>>69882437
is it similar to guarani?
>>
>>69880108
we have something very similiar in Polish
when animals die, we use the word "zdychać"
when humans die, we use the word "umierać"
"umierać" can be used for animals when you want to show empathy, though it's not uncommon for some people to always use it regardless of their emotions
"zdychać" used for people is obviously disrespectful
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.