[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Words that are untranslatable.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 205
Thread images: 16

File: saudade.jpg (12KB, 769x457px)
saudade.jpg
12KB, 769x457px
I'll start.
>Saudade
>>
>>69724045
Describe around it
>>
>Lagom
>>
>>69724065
It is a feeling. It means you miss something or someone or some event. There is no word for it in english. Maybe in another language?
>>69724073
What does that mean bro?
>>
>>69724159
>The Lexin Swedish-English dictionary defines lagom as "enough, sufficient, adequate, just right". Lagom is also widely translated as "in moderation", "in balance", "perfect-simple", and "suitable" (in matter of amounts). Whereas words like sufficient and average suggest some degree of abstinence, scarcity, or failure, lagom carries the connotation of appropriateness, although not necessarily perfection. The archetypical Swedish proverb "Lagom är bäst", literally "The right amount is best", is also translated as "Enough is as good as a feast". That same proverb is translated as "There is virtue in moderation".
>>
File: 1480778578582.png (20KB, 539x385px) Image search: [Google]
1480778578582.png
20KB, 539x385px
Cuck, truly shows anglo mentality
>>
>>69724159
Melancolie, maybe ?
>>
>>69724159
This is English, we simply just say "saudade" and steal the word lol :^)
>>
>>69724240
That is a pretty cool word bro. Thank you.
>>69724306
>Melancolie, a very deep word... as in melancholy or in pt, melancolia? Seems pretty translatable frenchbro.
>>
>>69724335
Start using it you fuggin leaf. I dare you to. ;^)
>>
>Saudade (European Portuguese: [sɐwˈðaðɨ], Brazilian Portuguese: [sawˈdadi] or [sawˈdadʒi], Galician: [sawˈðaðe]; plural saudades)[1] is a deep emotional state of nostalgic or profound melancholic longing for an absent something or someone that one loves. Moreover, it often carries a repressed knowledge that the object of longing might never return.[2] A stronger form of saudade might be felt towards people and things whose whereabouts are unknown, such as a lost lover, or a family member who has gone missing, moved away, separated, or died.
>>
>>69724373
I mean, melancolie is like saudade no ?
>>
>>69724639
Not the same bro. Saudade implies "missing someone or something that is gone". How do you say "I miss "X"" in french? In pt, we can say, "Eu sinto falta de "X"". Or we can say, X? Saudades do "X"...
Do you say "I feel melancholy for X? in french?
Melancolia, is rarely used. It is more for describing a state of feeling and mind. Like in english, I feel melancholic.
But, "I feel melacholic =/= saudade"
>>
any germanbros with some cool words from their language?
>>
I need a Russian's help.

Wtf does "лaйки" mean? It translates in English to "huskies", but I don't understand it's implication. Is it a slang term for a guy's boner or something?
>>
>>69724764
"I'm feeling melancholic because I miss X" isn't similar to "Saudade do X" ?
>>
not sure about this one, but anyway.
> Grosse Salope
>>
>>69724045
Tetelque: the flavor of dryness left in your mouth by some fruits.
This is a Salvadoran word of Nahua origin.
>>
I've heard a German word Backpfeifengesicht, which means a face to be punched.
Is this really used or known?
>>
>>69724937
It means the doggy in space. Laika)))
>>
>>69724997
Wow, you just wrote "big bitch".
>>
File: France_poteuse de civilisation.jpg (69KB, 350x433px) Image search: [Google]
France_poteuse de civilisation.jpg
69KB, 350x433px
Paix
Civilisation
Richesse
Progrès
Développement
Ingéniosité
Ordre
Éducation
Évolution
Rayonnement
Pureté
>>
>>69725022
I've... Never felt that. Which fruits leave that sensation?
>>
Y'all
>>
I often come across untranslatable words and expressions by accident.
>>
apéritif

it means appetizer, but it also means the "action" or the moment appetizers are eaten
tu viens à l'apéritif ? (are you coming for the apéritif ?)
apéro is short

>>69725198
très très bon post
>>
>>69724045
amai
dinges
>>
>>69724045
>Saudade
>untranslatable
German Sehnsucht is practically the same as Portuguese "saudade". And for most part, English "missing" (as in "I miss Mary" - "sinto saudades da Mary") does a fine job translating it.
>>
>>69724306
melancholie

>>69725643
aperitief

>>69725577
jullie allemaal
>>
>>69725034
>Backpfeifengesicht
Yup, it's a real word.

Another funny German word would be Drachenfutter (dragon food) - gifts to appease an angry girlfriend/wife.

>>69725577
Y'all isn't untranslatable. It's just "you, plural", Dixie.
>>
Why didn't anyone mention "schadenfreude" yet твн
>>
>>69725765
Leedvermaak (literally: suffering entertainment)
>>
File: fruto-de-anacardo-o-maranon.jpg (129KB, 969x930px) Image search: [Google]
fruto-de-anacardo-o-maranon.jpg
129KB, 969x930px
>>69725564
Cashew is the first that comes into mind. Especially when it's yellow... man, now I want some cashew.
>>
>>69725765
https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/gloat
Pretty much the same.
>>
Awkward?

Creepy?
>>
>>69725701
>aperitief
no
>>
>>69725656
> "sinto saudades da Mary"
> I miss marry
For the most part, it works, but "missing" is not a noun. And saudade is. There is no word for the noun, saudade, in english.
>>
>>69725858
Well, at least in theory you could say stuff as "I have missings for Mary", but it sounds weird as fuck.
>>
>>69725831
Awkward?
Gênant/embarassant
Creepy?
flippant
>>
>>69725889
Literally no one says that. Not even autists. Saudade is a portuguese word, exclusive to the portuguese language. And it is a beautiful word. As such, it is untranslateable.
>>
>>69725831
Awkward would be estranho in pt. Creepy same, albeit not exactly same, but close.
>>
>>69725765
>shadenfreude
Bingo. That word is very specific to german language. There is no literal translation/expression. So much so that it has been adopted in other languages to express the meaning within it. I wonder if german has many untranslatable words....
>>
I miss a lot of interjections in English. Like the word hè at the end of sentences.

It's a bit like "tasty huh". You try to involve the other person in your conversation. But in Dutch it's used a lot more often and with a broader meaning. It's also used meaning: "Don't you think?" ""Do you agree?" "If we assume this is true" etc.

But also other filler words like hoor. Which is used at the end of sentences to confirm you consent or agree, but reluctantly. It's also used when you encourage others to do things that they are reluctant to do. Then you end your sentence with hoor.
>>
>>69725961
>Saudade is a portuguese word, exclusive to the portuguese language. And it is a beautiful word. As such, it is untranslateable.
"Not in English" isn't the same as "exclusive to Portuguese". Again, German Sehnsucht is pretty much the same as "saudade" (and yeah, it's a noun).

And you reminded me "cafuné" (running the fingers through someone's hair in a tender way). I can't recall a good translation for this one in English, German or Italian.

>>69725983
>Awkward would be estranho in pt
Not quite... it's a mix of bisonho, estranho and constrangedor. Like, when you meet with your ex-girlfriend and you don't know what to say? Awkward.
>>
>>69725765
skadeglädje
we're germanic though, so it really doesn't count
>>
>>69726047
Sounds like we are less in the realm of words and more in the realm of expressions. Is this perception wrong?
>>
>>69726047
I'll do this again hoor. (I will do this again, as no one else does it).

I'll beat him up hoor (I WILL beat him up if needed).

You can grab a piece of the pie hoor (You can grab a piece of the pie, it's acceptable and has no consequence)

I'll watch you hoor (I will watch you, don't worry)
>>
>>69724045
nostalgia works fine as traslation
>>
>>69726113
It literally means hear.

So it might be somewhat related to "ya hear me?"
>>
Geborgenheit
>>
>>69726068
Huh, Sehnsucht. According to google, that is "anseio" (to be anxious for/of), and desejo (to desire). So no, not even close to Saudade. But a pretty good word, for basic level speaking german like me.
>>
>>69726122
Intenta otra vez. (Try again.)
Saudade no hay en espanol. (Extranar es verbo)
>>
>>69724045
Great album by the way
>>
>>69726187
You don't really get the full meaning of Sehnsucht by breaking it up into the twp words it consists of. Ie feel it is actually pretty close to saudade, although I could be entirely wrong since I don't know any portuguese.
>>
>>69726157
>Hoor
Me escuta?
Me entende?
Me comprendez-mendez?
>>
>>69726113
>>69726157
I always thought of 'hoor' as the way we Australian's use "aye (aka hey)"

No don't go there that place is shit, hey
Nee ga er niet, die plekje is kut, hoor

Could be wrong though
>>
File: _mars.png (55KB, 3000x2000px)
_mars.png
55KB, 3000x2000px
Does English have any untranslatable words?
>>
>>69726262
Coming from a swiss, I will bite. Maybe both words are pretty unique to their languages. I will try it out on whenever I run into germans/austrians/swiss tho.
>>
>>69726285
we have a lot of untranslatable adjectives I think, cringey is a good one.
>>
Brazilian cliche when talking to foreigners #29

It literally means missing someone/something.
>>
>>69726285
plenty but the native language just uses the english word in inverted commas
truly the worlds language
>>
>>69726187
As >>69726262 said, you can't simply "break" German compounds that way without losing the original meaning... see my Drachenfutter example.

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Sehnsucht describes the word as "yearning; longing; nostalgia (tender, wistful, and/or melancholy desire)", so yeah, pretty much the same as "saudade".
>>
>>69726285
awkward is one I can never translate quite right
>>
>>69726281
Good find. I think it's actually a pretty good translation.

If we do this, aye, then you don't have to worry, aye.
>>
>>69726285
english has the largest vocabulary of any language, logically it would have the highest number of untranslatable words
>>
>>69726285
Yes, here 12 of them

https://elleadityes.com/2015/10/29/ces-12-mots-danglais-intraduisibles-en-francais/
>>
>>69726310
yeah, that is a good one. there is no direct translation to pt for it, but it means "vergonha alheia" (shame for the other). Or as an expression, "nojo".
>>
>>69726310
Maybe bochornoso could work.
>>
>>69726351
haha ja je bent nu erg dik, hoor
haha yeah you're fat now, aye

kind of works I guess
tchjongen jongen jongen doesn't translate so well.. maybe it's like "boy oh boy" or something
>>
>>69726340
heh, in pt, everything that is "cringey", "awkward" or "strange", is basically the same word: estranho.
>>
>>69726310
Myötähäpeällinen
>>
>>69726113
>>69726157
>>69726269
In usage, "hoor" reminds me a lot "tá, tá":

Tá, tá, vou fazer isso.
Fine, I'll do this. [I give up fighting against doing this, I'm convinced now, stop begging me to do this.]

However it has nothing to do with "hear" (tá < está bem = "that's ok")
>>
>>69726430
>Myötähäpeällinen
RARE
A
R
E
>>
>>69726422
hè hè we're finally done.
>>
>>69726430
I bet there are af least four words glued.
>>
>>69724486
it is nostalgia
>>
>>69724159
>>69724639
>>69724958
Saudade is a bit of a meme word, because the reason it can't be translated is because it is an amalgamation of translatable feelings all rolled into a word that vary on context. It usually means one of these
>missing someone that has died
>longing for someone that is away
>missing some better time that has passed but will never come back

but can also mean:
>missing someone right in front of you
>love-ache for someone

A harder word to translate would be "desenrascar", but you can fake it in english by "unscrewing oneself". Usually by using some weird, genious smartass way of solving a problem using unorthodox and improvised methods.
>>
>>69726157
We use hear as well in that sense. I will beat him up, oíste.
>>
>>69726430
you just smashed your face on the keyboard pekka
>>
>>69725893
Ici, on commence à dire « malaisant » pour awkward
>>
>>69726351
Also kind of how canadians use eh?
>>
>>69726479
Nostalgia, in pt =/= saudade.
>>
how about the opposite:
in russian there is no word for privacy
try google translate. takes 3 fucking words to describe it in russian. weird
>>
hella
>>
>>69726157
nawm sayin
>>
>>69726487
Based pai knows what`s up with saudade.
>>
>>69726537
Nigga, if we play that game we have the andalusians and their crazy words.
>>
>>69726513
I don't think so. It's also not exactly the same as aye, as Dutch people also use it to express reluctance. But I think aye is as close as it gets.
>>
>>69726537
thats just black people for "very"
>>
>>69726430
Is this the new drug everyone's taking now?
>>
>>69725752
Thanks for the reply.
Dragon food, it's interesting that even German men are afraid of angry women.
Indeed, German women look scary.
>>
>>69726564
inorite? maybe we should start a thread for what are expressions/words for "cocaine" in one`s language.
>pó
>>
>>69726285
Most of the words you guys use to describe faces are usually pretty tough to bring into romance languages:
>scowl
>leer
>stare
>smirk
>frown
>gawk
>gaze
>glare

These are all pretty tough variations that we just go by "mean face", "happy face", "angry face", but none convey as varied a meaning as the English ones.

>>69726320
Yeah, there's a lot weird stuff in the Portuguese language than saudade. At least to english.
"Fodesses-te, mas é!" -> "if only you would fuck your self, or something"

"Ah e tal" -> literally untranslatable. It's a way of stalling a thought and skipping the beginning of an explanation in medias res.
>>
Big Black Cock
>>
>>69726630
>"Ah e tal"
I'd actually challenge a Luso to translate:

>"Ah e tal, porque torna e porque deixa, vai-se a ver e coiso."

It's literally stalling gibberish:

>"Oh and such, for this or other, you go and see it and then, stuff".

It holds literally no meaning.
>>
File: dog_receives_bad_news.jpg (148KB, 768x1024px) Image search: [Google]
dog_receives_bad_news.jpg
148KB, 768x1024px
>>69726256
My man.

Pic is me listening the album
>>
>>69726658
Pau Preto Grande
Negão
Cacetão (black or white)
Pirocão
Pauzudo
Roludo
I can go on and on. Brazilians have big cocks and many words for their cocks, i guess.
>>
>>69726285
Wistful is pretty much untranslatable by any means desu
>>
>>69726721
>wistful
Bingo bro. That is a rare word. To me, it seemingly unstranslatable.
>: full of yearning or desire tinged with melancholy; also : inspiring such yearning <a wistful memoir
>>
atorrante
>>
A hard to translate pair: "ser" and "estar". Both are "to be", but "ser" is for intrinsic stuff (as in "you're smart") and "estar" for states or things usually subject to change (as in "you're sad").

Easy to see on this context:
Ela está linda. <-- she is beautiful at the moment. (está<estar)
Ela é linda. <-- she is beautiful, being beautiful is part of her qualities. (é<ser)
>>
>>69726256
>>69726559
I always liked how one of Brazil's most famous songs is called "Chega de Saudade" (no more saudade) in Portuguese, but then it's actually a pretty saudade-filled song, sung in a happy way.

Like you guys tried (successfully) remove yourselves from Portugal, but haven't yet managed to remove Portugal from yourselves, in a way. Not like you depend on or thing about us as a country, but it shows we're still closer than one would think:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRq92vqrVjg

It also has a pretty boss version that it was used in Civ V:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4vlAsnvinA
>>
>>69726721
Still, what a complicated word. Saudade is much more elegant.
>>
spanish, "vos"
>>
>>69726791
Chato.
>>69726794
Totally,
>Saudade as a happy feeling!
So unique! Such a specific and beautiful feeling..., if you have ever felt it.
Bonus points: if you search for a subtitled version of that song, you won`t find any.
>>
>>69726794
"Melancolia nao sai de mim, nao sai".
>tfw you can`t get over the melancholy.
>>
>>69726793
Hmm I guess it's hard to translate. But I like it! Removes any possible ambiguity unlike with the English "to be".
>>
I cannot translate 'Uai'. Saudade is pretty easy to translate, but the best I can come up with for 'uai' is "an interjection said when the person you're speaking with says something that is a little unexpected'.
>>
>>69726973
>Uai
Huh
>>
>>69726855
>vos
You mean, like the Portuguese Vós? or the French Vous?

Those exist and are still used in some places.

>>69726874
Chega de Saudade isn't a happy song. It sounds happy and cheerful, but it's actually pretty sad song, lyrics wise, about wanting someone you don't have.

It always amuses me the American idea of the smooth and charming Brazilian Latin lover, when Tom Jobim was playing with Sinatra, when the songs themselves are often so sad and sensitive.

Brazilian cultural relation with saudade is intriguing, if you pay close enough attention. You guys aren't happier than us, you're just as miserable, you just take it with a smile.

But on the surface you always seem so happy and cheerful.

>>69726899
>mfw sentes que o tempo acabou:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3WGttZdksg

>>69726960
Then we have the opposite "ficar" -> become/stay amalgamation.

>>69726973
wut?
>>
>>69727010
How would you translate then:

Uai é uai, uai?
>>
>>69726513
how canadians and australians use eh/aye is very similar
not the exact same as 'hoor' but close
>>
>>69726113
>>69727043
I can't not read it like Frank in It's always Sunny in Philadelphia says "whore"
>>
>>69726973
>I cannot translate 'Uai'.
I think "wow" fits.

>>69727025
>You guys aren't happier than us, you're just as miserable, you just take it with a smile.
Unless you're a Southerner. Then you're simply raised too bitter to smile and too arrogant to admit misery.
>>
File: 1473826473068.jpg (50KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
1473826473068.jpg
50KB, 900x900px
>>69727025
Ok, maybe it isn`t a happy song, but saudade can be a positive emotion, as opposed to nostalgia and melancholy or "missing you". Saudade is warm, and it can bring a smile to one`s face.
>>
>>69727072
hu-er haha
in dutch it's pronounced more like 'or' in english as the h tends to be ignored a little
>>
>>69727025
i mean vos does not translate to english
i don't know about the french or portuguese
>>
>>69724159
nostalgia?
>>
>>69727025
>Then we have the opposite "ficar" -> become/stay amalgamation.
When the difference is relevant, there's "tornar-se" (become) and "permanecer" (stay). But I think both are falling into disuse, "ficar" is far more common.
>>
>>69726960
the name of those thing is copular verbs
the more you know
>>
Any German speakers want to weigh in on "Doch"? I still haven't quite figured it out as it is very context dependent. Means roughly, "on the contrary" I think.

>Du hast nie mir geschreibt!" (You never wrote to me!)
>Doch! Ich schreibe jeder Tag. (Actually I write everyday!).
*Apologies for any grammar mistakes in my German*

Something like that.
>>
>>69727104
Sientes nostalgia?
>>
>>69727094
It's bittersweet at best.

It started being used more frequently when people were leaving on ships to explore the world and left their wives behind feeling it.

Saudade is a positive thing to feel in the same way that sadness is, in that it's healthy to experience it. But it's not unique to Luso's, just the very specific word for it is.

>>69727103
Isn't "thou" the formal/archaic plural form of "you"? "Vos/Vós/Vous" is the same thing. I imagine Italy also has it's own form. >>69727104?
>>
File: images.png (2KB, 66x105px) Image search: [Google]
images.png
2KB, 66x105px
>>69727124
Doch is pretty good, and quite Homero Simpson. Germans have lot`s of these, such as shadenfreude.
>>
>>69727124
It's simply "yes", as a response to a negative.

Or maybe too as in "did not" - "did too"
>>
>>69727149
>Isn't "thou" the formal/archaic plural form of "you"?
actually "thou" was the singular iirc
> I imagine Italy also has it's own form
yes, "voi"
>>
>>69727149
>But it's not unique to Luso's, just the very specific word for it is.
We got the word for it for pai. And it is a beautiful word in every sense. Sau da de. It sounds good in anyone`s mouth.
>>
>>69727173
Hmmm ok. As I've seen it used it seems more like a negation of a negation. Simply saying "yes" in the dialogue I put would not make a whole ton of sense unless more is added. But I suppose it's more like what you wrote. ("You never wrote!" "Did too!).

Just one of those words you don't learn in class that much I guess. Led to my slight confusion.
>>
>>69727191
Do you guys still use Voi, or do you do like us and the French and just use the third person plural conjugation?

Eu sou
Tu és
Ele é
Nós somos
Vós sois -> **vocês são**
Eles são

Also, do you guys separate ser and estar, or is essere the same as "to be"/"etre"?
>>
>>69727103
>>69727149
At least in Argentinian Spanish, vos = intimate/informal singular "you". It isn't the same as French "vous" because "vous" is either formal or plural, and Portuguese "vós" is almost exclusively plural.
>>
>>69727248
No, vós can be used formally to address just one person. It's still used in some regions of Portugal, but it's a minority.

We've more commonly just replaced it with "vocês" and use the third person plural conjugation. You guys went one step further and did the same with the singular second person and use "você" (or tu) and the singular third person conjugation.

I'm wandering if the Spaniards/Spaniardinhos also do this. I know the French do mis-conjugate it like us -> vous sont, instead of vous etes.
>>
>>69727227
we always use voi
>Also, do you guys separate ser and estar, or is essere the same as "to be"/"etre"?
we also have essere/stare as two different verbs
>>
>>69727308
Neat. I thought it was an Iberian thing, but it seems that it was just the frogs that deviated.

We should use vós more often. It sounds very dignifying and mighty.
>>
>>69727328
yeah, i think the use of "stare" was influenced by spaniard occupation, especially in the south where it's often overused
>>
>>69724257
The word "cuckold" can be translated in like every language though
>>
>>69726159
Kinda should have explained this.

It's a feeling of familiar safety and comfort, as if nothing can hurt you. Like when you're in your mother's lap as a little kid
>>
>>69724937
It means likes. Like upvotes, green thumbs, etc
>>
File: weon la wea weon qlo.jpg (17KB, 480x408px) Image search: [Google]
weon la wea weon qlo.jpg
17KB, 480x408px
>>69724045
>wea
>weas
>weon
>aweonao
>>
>>69724257
Corno.
>>
File: voseo.png (162KB, 1246x879px) Image search: [Google]
voseo.png
162KB, 1246x879px
the meaning and prevalence of "vos" in latin america varies a lot. for example, in el salvador "usted" = most formal, "tú" = less formal, and "vos" = very informal. this is what does not translate to english, a very informal "you".
>>
simple one
"lekker" in dutch can't be translated precisely
>>
>>69727227
I might be wrong, but I think the usage of "stare" in Italian is far more restricted than Portuguese "estar". And it always reminded me more of a "stay"/ficar sense than "be" proper.

>>69727294
Still formal, though. The "quirk" with Argie Spanish is that "vos" is informal, just like "tu" in Spanish and Portuguese dialects that use it. It's hard to compare in modern English.

>You guys went one step further and did the same with the singular second person and use "você" (or tu) and the singular third person conjugation.
The "tu" situation is really messy. There are dialects that use "você" exclusively, some use "tu" and conjugate it as such (tu és) and some use "tu" but conjugate it as "você" (tu é - stigmatized as fuck). The actual pronouns being used will depend heavily on region and social strata.
>>
>>69727391
Heh, not to Portuguese. You can call someone a cuckoo, which doesn't mean anything, but sounds similar.

You can also use the expression "to put someone the horns", as in - his wife cheated on him, she put him a pair of horns. Which is sort of the backwards wording of being a "bull", but it's been an expression for a long long time, way before the internet memes.

>>69727431
Yeah. Sort your pronouns out, Brazil. The closer to Latin the better.
>>
>>69727392
>Geborgenheit
What a horrible, scary and terrifying word, bro.
>>
>>69727465
also, having some horns put on you also doesn't imply you giving consent to being betrayed, like being a cuck would, so it's not the same thing, really, just related.
>>
Gezellig.

Explained here: http://www.dutchamsterdam.nl/155-gezellig

It's basically comfy/pleasant but not exactly.
>>
>>69727465
>The closer to Latin the better.
Well, if closer to Latin = better, then I have some bad news for you...

Younger people barely use "nós" anymore. It's always "a gente", even on mildly formal circumstances.
"Você" is being slowly replaced with "cê". And some fuckheads are re-borrowing "tu" as a formal version of "você", inverting the relationship.

If you consider also the conjugations, there's a tendency to replace the 3rd person plural conjugation with the 3rd person singular, and add a "tudo" for clarification when needed. Something like "vocês estão aqui" > "cês tá tudo aqui".

If the trend continues, the whole system will collapse into two personal endings - one for "eu" and one for everything else. And this means pronouns will stop being optional/used for emphasis like in Latin, Spanish and Italian, to become obligatory like in French and English. (Nowhere as bad as Venetian, but still.)
>>
>>69727585
cosy
heel gezellig
>>
Saudade can also be a promise.
>"É a promessa de vida no teu coração"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1tOV7y94DY
>>
>>69727669
"A gente" is also common here.

And Vós is disappearing in 2 generations.

I'm saying we both bring it back. That and the mais-que-perfeito, which is rarely used.
>>
>>69727669
>"cês tá tudo aqui".
That's super caipira though, most people I know would say "cêis tão tudo aqui".

And honestly, if someone asks me something like
"Vocês comeram o bolo?" the most natural way to answer is "comemo", not "a gente comeu", even though a gente is more common than nós.

Also, the rest of your post is bullshit, language and conjugations are always evolving, just because we are losing some it doesn't mean we will lose all. And about pronouns being mandatory, that's already happening.
>>
I bet Russians have a lot of untranslateble words.
>>
I used to date a Norwegian girl, she told me about "Livsnyter", it's a noun to describe someone who knows how to live a good, happy life.
>>
>>69727585
Gemütlich?
>>
File: 1483867935161.jpg (57KB, 421x421px) Image search: [Google]
1483867935161.jpg
57KB, 421x421px
>impivaaralaisuus
>>
>>69724045
Desarraigo and Empalagoso comes to mind, spanish and german had a shitload of untranslatable words.
>>
>>69727757
>"Livsnyter"
You fucked up, kiwibro. Should've married her.
>>
[Ithkuil] - "ašţal" - That chin-stroking moment you get, often accompanied by a frown on your face, when someone expresses an idea that you’ve never thought of and you have a moment of suddenly seeing possibilities you never saw before.
>>
>>69727797
>impivaaralaisuus
Go on???
>>
>>69727860
Wow, but wtf language is that? Also, [Ithkuil] - "ašţal" - a unique word, it sounds like a nightmare.
>>
>>69727703
Only the synthetic pluperfect (eu falara) died, though - the analytic (eu tinha falado) is alive and kicking.

>>69727752
>That's super caipira though, most people I know would say "cêis tão tudo aqui".
It's stigmatized for now, but it might stop being so if accepted by upper classes. Also heavily dialect-dependent, for example both "tu" and "nós" in Santa Catarina are quite common.

>Also, the rest of your post is bullshit, language and conjugations are always evolving, just because we are losing some it doesn't mean we will lose all.
I'm pointing at the tendency; of course I might be wrong and the whole thing can evolve in an unpredictable way, but there's already people who replace the 3pl with 3s.

>And about pronouns being mandatory, that's already happening.
Not complete, though. You can still say stuff as "foi dormir" instead of "ele foi dormir" without raising an eyebrow, sounding "broken" or pedantic.
>>
>>69727876
It's an expression used when explaining this special characteristics of finns being introverted and wanting to live simple. Can't really explain it.
>>
I have heard serendipity is tricky in other languages. Is this true?
>>
ajolumi, hanki, hiutale, huove, ilja, kalto, kide, kinos, kohva, kuurankukka, loska, lumi, nietos, nuoska, pakkaslumi, puuteri, kahma, räntä, sohjo and vuotos

These are all finnish words for different types of snow

Even though a couple of these are synonymous and some are regional dialetics
>>
>>69727945
Ok. It sounds like a nightmare movie tho.; Like freddie kruger tier word. But interesting nonetheless.
>>
>>69727918
>wtf language is that?
Ithkuil is a conlang... and an experimental one, so expect weird shit.

(At least they aren't using five whole phonemes or mixing ergative with accusative)
>>
File: Yoshikage Kira.png (890KB, 500x742px) Image search: [Google]
Yoshikage Kira.png
890KB, 500x742px
>>69727945
>finns being introverted and wanting to live simple
I bet collecting hands is a common Finn past-time... you guys are all a JoJo reference :^)
>>
>>69727928
>It's stigmatized for now, but it might stop being so if accepted by upper classes.

Or it might become increasingly rarer as poorer classes copy upper classes, things are unpredictable like that.

>I'm pointing at the tendency

You're partially right, there's a tendency to replace the singular 2nd and plural persons with the 3rd singular. But the 1st singular person has absolutely no signs of replacement, you should be careful when you write that, it's all I'm saying.
>>
>>69728051
What is a conlang?
>>
>>69724045
A purely minnesotan word is OOOfta
>>
>>69728236
sounds retAAAhded bro. also sounds reminiscent of pOOOFta, which is pasty cunt british for gay, i think.
>>
File: Untitled.png (123KB, 807x425px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
123KB, 807x425px
>>69728197
Picture related, it shows how often the 3rd plural person is used with the correct conjugation in a city in bahia, as you can see, younger people do it more often. So the tendency is actually to recover the original conjugations.
>>
Oh, these annoying monkeys and their monkey language threads... again
>>
>>69724159
>>69726487
Añoranza in Spanish.
>>
>>69728197
>But the 1st singular person has absolutely no signs of replacement, you should be careful when you write that, it's all I'm saying.
Jeez... I didn't even imply the 1s would be replaced but the contrary, see >>69727669 again:
>If the trend continues, the whole system will collapse into two personal endings - one for "eu" and one for everything else.
I'm implying here the 1st singular person would remain distinct.
(Also mind that huge "IF THE TREND CONTINUES", it implies uncertainty.)

>Or it might become increasingly rarer as poorer classes copy upper classes, things are unpredictable like that.
I'd say they aren't predictable or unpredictable, but a middle ground. There's a tendency and a "common path", but it isn't set on stone.
Also, usually the popular varieties replace the prestige/cult varieties. The inverse is considerably less common, even when the popular varieties in question are stigmatized. (I can give you some examples, but I don't think it's necessary.)
>>
>>69728280
>Bahia
Ah, this might explain the thing.

I'm stating that based on São Paulo and (on a smaller degree) Paraná; both are prone to simplify the plurals, but I don't know how the thing goes on Bahian dialect.

>>69728211
Constructed language (as Esperanto, Volapük), instead of a naturally evolved one (as English, French). Ithkuil for example is a conlang done just for funzies (errr... "philosophical research"), those are often awkward to use.
>>
>>69725198
ceci
la France c'est la lumière du monde
>>
>>69728628
french being french.
>>
Saudade do sealab.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jI3dwdB0bps
>>
>>69725858
>>69725961

Longing. EZ
>>
File: 1374520193207.jpg (3MB, 2000x2000px) Image search: [Google]
1374520193207.jpg
3MB, 2000x2000px
>>69726113
>>69726157
>>69726553

>YA HERD?

DUTCH EVERYONE
>>
>>69725855
yes

>>69726040
leedvermaak in Dutch

not so specific anymore eh?
>>
>>69724306
Not even a French word, Marcel
>>
Ka/Krahp

Thai words
>>
>>69725893
Awkwardness is not as strong as embarrassment

Also, embarrassment requires self-awareness. People can be awkward and oblivious

Pretty sure there's no French equivalent
>>
>Americans posting their irrelevant, easily translatable regional slang because they think they're so unique
Embarrassing, you dumb shits. Of course it's mostly Southerners and Calitards
>>
>>69727854
You know those ones where you like the girl too much and make a beta faggot out of yourself? Yeah, one of those...
>>
את
A word that marks the accusative case. I'm pretty sure most languages use a suffix.
>>
According to Nabokov, тocкa (tuss-KAH). I think he explains it better than I could so here:

"No single word in English renders all the shades of toska. At its deepest and most painful, it is a sensation of great spiritual anguish, often without any specific cause. At less morbid levels it is a dull ache of the soul, a longing with nothing to long for, a sick pining, a vague restlessness, mental throes, yearning. In particular cases it may be the desire for somebody of something specific, nostalgia, love-sickness. At the lowest level it grades into ennui, boredom.”

Dovlatov named хaмcтвo (HUMS-tvah), хaлтypa (hull-TOO-rah) and their derivatives.

The first is simple: basically being a rude cunt to others, but in a specific way; not everyone being an asshole is doing хaмcтвo, but everyone doing хaмcтвo is being a rude bastard.

The second word is harder because it means "lucrative one-off work-related gig unrelated to your main job (if you have one)", but ALSO "badly, lazily done job". There's a derivative verb, хaлтypить (hull-TOO-rits), which means "to do хaлтypa" but only as per the second definition. Dovlatov saw it as a curious case because when doing a хaлтypa in the one-off gig sense of the word, people will almost always be more diligent and put in more effort than they do at their main job, but the second meaning of the word is the exact opposite of that. I'll add from myself that it has a completely baffling etymology too: dictionaries shit like dialectal "wake", "free food at a wake", "a priest's wage", the Greek word for a copper coin... How it could have shifted to have the modern meaning (or rather two that are so fucking different), fuck knows.
>>
>>69731087
What the fuck m8, looked it up and that's some serious kabbala shit. Can you explain how it's different from "ha" and give a few examples (like a sentence with the "et" and then the same sentence without it, and how it changes the meaning)?
>>
>>69726285
Some connotations of some words don't go across, but that's for every language.

Also, do other languages have a system for turning words into other parts of speech or creating new ones on the spot, like english does?

Like:
Noun-ish [having properties of that noun]
Noun-ing [the act of creating or using a noun]
ie. "internetting"
Noun-ly [in a manner similar to [how the noun would verb] or having a feel similar to the noun]
>>
>Morriña
the feeling of missing your homeland and your people
>Sobremesa
after having lunch or dinner, sobremesa is when you spend time talking with the other people in the table while resting the food
>>
>>69731281
Spanish does, though it's not as widespread.

>Noun-ing [the act of creating or using a noun]
ie. "internetting"

Just add -ear, e.g. internetear. Not as widely used as in English tho

>Noun-ly [in a manner similar to [how the noun would verb] or having a feel similar to the noun]

Feminine adjective form + mente.

It also has a very dank paradigm I wish more languages had: creation of new words by the formula "verb (3 person singular present) + plural noun (direct object), e.g. pintalabios ("paints lips", lipstick), tiraflecha ("shoots arrows", a very rude slur for Latino immigrants), soplapollas ("blows [into] dicks", bumbling retard). The resulting word is a noun and doesn't inflect for gender or number: "el pintalabios está allí", "veo a un tiraflecha", "ojalá se mueran todos los soplapollas que votaron a Podemos".
>>
>>69731254
>kabbala shit
What???

''Ha'' just means ''the''. ''Et'' is only used with ''the'' or with proper nouns.

Ex:
Raiti zeev - I saw a wolf
Raiti et hazeev - I saw the wolf
Raiti et zeev - I saw the person that is called Zeev
>>
>>69731281
Pretty sure 99% of languages do that. Maybe even 100% because it would be extremely hard to convey any sort of complex idea otherwise.
>>
>>69731500
That simple? Wow, you should write dictionaries instead of those chucklefucks who use spooky phrases like "semantically definite object". Toda
>>
File: sad jew.gif (13KB, 505x607px)
sad jew.gif
13KB, 505x607px
>>69731500
Who the fuck is named Zeev?
>>
>>69731596
I'd rather be named that than Ryan твн
>>
>>69731596
Pretty common name. It's read as Ze'ev, by the way, not like Bee in English (though Ziv is also a name).
>>
>>69726047
pretty sure lots of languages have those interjections, just not english
>>
>>69726855
Isnt that just plural informal "you"?
If so then German has "Ihr" and French has, if i remember correctly, "Vous"
>>
>>69731673
Nah it's much more convoluted, basically imagine if the pronoun "thou" randomly survived in, say, New Zealand and parts of Canada.

Also vous is formal, not informal. Peninsular Spanish does have a plural informal pronoun though, vosotros (that's on top of usted, formal singular, and ustedes, formal plural).
>>
פירגון
Firgun
Actively showing your support and happiness at someone else's success or fortune. Can also be used to mean giving someone a bonus or extra of something because you are in a good mood.

Comes from German (via Yiddish) Vergönnen.
>>
>>69732172
Do Yiddish words get used much in Hebrew? If so, schlimazl and zhlob definitely deserve a mention in this thread.
>>
>>69732231
Don't know what either of those mean.

There are some slang words that come from Yiddish, but the pronounciation is usually different, and often their meaning, too.
Thread posts: 205
Thread images: 16

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.