[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Need a bit of help from the French speakers

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 1

File: FRAN0001.gif (3KB, 388x260px) Image search: [Google]
FRAN0001.gif
3KB, 388x260px
I need a bit of help and google isn't exactly being forthcoming.

I'm making a list of good and bad and I need a bit of help. When you have the header of each side it's Le Bon for the good but in the bad is it Le Mal or is it Le Mauvais as google suggests?

Also, is there no word for 'acting' in French, as in an actor in film? I get performance and jouer but doesn't that mean to play? Is there no word for acting?
>>
>>69469644
Les acteurs jouent un rôle et sont jugés pour leur performance. C'est un métier avec de bons et mauvais cotés.
The actors are playing a role/part and are evaluated on their performance/acting. It's a job with some good and bad sides.
>>
I'm inclined to think "le mauvais", but you'd need a Francophone to answer that one for sure.

Like >>69469967 said, the verb would be "jouer un rôle" (there's also "agir", but that's not "act" as in theatre.)
>>
>>69469644
at least i don't know of any word for acting
>>
Ok, So there is no direct word for acting. Would you go with Performance or just skip all that and go with something like les acteurs?

The people I'm presenting this to don't speak french, so I guess the one that's most recognizable to spanish speakers is the way to go.
>>
http://www.wordreference.com/enfr/acting
Acting is jouer. An act is un jeu.
Blame it on changing a finite present in French into a continuous present in English.
>>
>>69470085
>The people I'm presenting this to don't speak french, so I guess the one that's most recognizable to spanish speakers is the way to go.

Then why are you doing this in the first place?
>>
>>69470146
Because the subject matter is originally in french and I thought it would add a bit of flavor. It'd be boring to just list it all in spanish.

>>69470118
Damn YOU finite present in French that converts into a continuous present in English.
>>
>>69469644
Learn Spanish instead, it will be more useful, especially for an American.
>>
>>69469644
Well, "mal" and "mauvais" are quite contextual and I guess it'll be hard to differenciate without some good experience.

some examples:

"the Evil" almost always corresponds to "le Mal"
"a bad guy" - "un homme mauvais"
"he's hurt" - "il a mal"

when "bad" is used as an adjectiv epithet, you almost always translates it as "mauvais", like in

"a bad decision" - "une mauvaise décision"

https://translate.google.fr/?hl=fr#fr/en/mal
>>
>>69470209
I'm already Mexican, m8.

>>69470221
Ok. That's what I needed to know.

I'm talking about a french film and I'm listing the good and bad things about it. In this case the acting is good but it's a rather slow paced film so that goes in mauvais.
>>
>>69470206
but "une pièce de théâtre" is literally "a play" in English
>>
Do you realize "good" and "bad" are also pretty ambiguous and devoid of meaning words?

You should name it pours et contres, as in pros and cons.
>>
>>69470441
Possibly.

I was hoping it was like Spanish where it'd just be Lo Bueno and Lo Malo, which I guess would be Le Bon and Le Mal, but it's turned out rather more complicated than just that.
>>
>>69470262
Ok. We say "points positifs" and "points négatifs".
Ou "Bien"/"Mauvais" rather than "Bon"/"Mauvais".

Acting would be "Le jeu d'acteur"
>>
>>69470510
So would you say Le Bien and Le Mauvais or just Bien and Mauvais?
>>
>>69470206
In French, an actor acts, even when he's not acting, while in English, an actor is acting or playing even when he's not currently acting.
>>
>>69470589
No "Le".
Spanish "lo" is not a French "le". It's complicated but we literally say "Ce qu'il y a de bien à propos de ce film" = "Lo que hay de bueno con/relativo a esta pelicula".

But if you want absolutely a "le" you could do it this way :
- Les bons points / points positifs
- Les mauvais points / points négatifs
>>
>>69470715
I see. So le/les isn't the equivalent to the/lo/la/los/las. Well, I'm glad I asked because Google translate just has Le Bon as The Good/Lo Bueno.

Honestly, it's not about wanting to have le on it, I just don't want to come off as an ignorant cunt.
>>
>>69470836
We understand the influence of Spanish where it's more common than in French or English.
Go with "Points positifs | Points négatifs".
>>
>>69470262
Well then, now that I think about it that Hue is right >>69470441 , "Bon" and "Mauvais" in this context is awkward and has a real googletranslate feel.

In the context of a comparison, French language would use "Bons points" and "Mauvais points" (good/bad points, obviously). It's totally correct, but quite plain and unsophisticated, and sounds "simple". If you truly want a normal wording that people would use in a report or an article or whatever, then use "Qualités" and "Défauts" (Qualities and Flaws/Shortcomings)
>>
>>69470836
lo/la/los/las isn't a direct equivalent btw.
El Bueno =/= Lo Bueno
La mujer =/= lo mujer (which would be lo de la mujer)

From French to Spanish :
Le = El
Les = Los/Las
La = La
(English: The)

Lo is indefinite and French equivalent would be "Ce".
>>
>>69471071
So it would be ce bien or c'est(?) bien and mal? I'm thinking of just going with Qualités and Défauts since they seem like the most recognizable suggestions to spanish speakers. I don't think we use the phrase pros y contras in spanish that much so pours et contres might not be the way to go. Still, bueno and malo is just the way we go about it but if it's just not the way it's done in french there is no point in pushing it.
>>
>>69471242
No, "Ce qu'il y a de bien", "Lo que hay de bueno" jajaajajajajaja
>>
>>69469644

"Bon" opposite of "Mauvais"
"Bien" opposite of "Mal"
"Gentil" opposite of "Méchant"

I think this is the three ways we can translate "good" and "bad" in french, it depends on what you want to say.
>>
>>69471340
That's a bit long.

The reason I'm sticking so close to Bon and Mauvais is because they're just two words. I don't want to have an entire sentence on the top of the list. On one side lo bueno, on the other lo malo. Having something like Ce qu'il y a de bien or mal is just long winded and not the simplest way to express the idea.

What about 'Lo que es Bueno' and 'Lo que es Malo'? Would that be a smaller sentence?
>>
Unfortunately it looks like I won't be able to wait for responses. It's super late and I got to get up early to finishing the project. If I don't end up just sticking with Bon and Mauvais I might go with Qualités and Défauts.

Thank you all for your patience and help. Feliz año y buenas noches. I can only guess at what a pain in the ass my pickiness has be so thanks for your patience.
>>
>>69471590
Of course it's too long kek, just stick to Qualités et Défauts :D
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.