[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How close are the Romance languages?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 68
Thread images: 5

If you speak Spanish, Italian, Portuguese, Catalan, French, or Romanian, can you understand the others?
>>
>>69443771
I can understand most of italian, portuguese and french, but I can't make a word out of romanian.
>>
the further you go from the starting country, the less comprehensible it gets
>>
>>69443771
>>69443873
Exactly, plus it'll be more that we can read it than really understand it, considering each of them sounds really different.
>>
>>69443873
not really true - sometimes the same expression in portoguese is easier to understand than the spanish one
>>69444364
but this is definitely true
>>
catalan and galician are ez
>>
>>69444473
This. Catalan, Galician and Portuguese are the easiest from the perspective of a spanish speakers, then comes Italian, french, and romanian.

Let's give an example, write "what do you want to do?" in you language.

Spanish:- ¿qué quieres hacer?
>>
>>69443771
Native Spanish speaker. Let's go down the list.

>Italian
Can understand about 70% of it spoken. Written is much harder, maybe 40%.
>Portuguese
Almost the inverse of Italian. Maybe about 30% of it spoken and 80%ish written.
>French
I speak French now, but prior to learning it, it was really hard to understand. 25% written/spoken.
>Catalan
I have trouble understanding Catalan spoken, but written, I understand almost all of it. I'd say maybe 60% spoken, 90% written. The other Iberian languages are a lot more understandable to my ear.
>Romanian
Sounds like a slav trying to speak Portuguese. Completely unintelligible spoken, about 10% written.
>>
>>69443771
Castilianfag here:

>Portuguese:

Written: ~95%
Spoken: 15-30%

>Italian

Written: 50-75%
Spoken: 40-50%

>Catalan

Written: 85-90%
Spoken: 85-90% the people without a strong accent, 40-60% with a strong accent

Not rating French because I have studied, not going to rate Romanian because I'm not familiarized with it
>>
>>69443771
Ranking by mutual understanding in speaking
1. Spanish<—>Portuguese<—>Catalan
2. Italian<—>Spanish
3. Italian<—> Portuguese
4. French<—>Catalan
5.Italian <—> Romanian (less sure about this)
6. French<—>Italian
7. French<—>Spanish<—>Portuguese
8. Romanian<—>Spanish<—>Portuguese
1 000 000. French<—>Romanian
>>
>>69444764
Do you understand Galician better than Catalan? I do and I find that strange, as I thought Galician was closer related to Portuguese and Catalan closer related to Spanish. Vids related.

https://youtu.be/gV7XWdt72Vo

https://youtu.be/nN4fDhAcGTM
>>
>>69444929
Of course I understand Galician better than Catalan. And no, is not strange. Galician/Portuguese are closer to Castilian than Catalan. But way more closer. What can make them difficult to understand is their phonology but Portuguese and Castilian are extremely similar. Also Galician is spoken in a very Castilianized that's why is so legible compared to Portuguese.
>>
>>69444929
Of course Galician is closer related to Portuguese than castillan. It's the same sub-linguistic groups, both are lusophonic languages.
Catalan is a different case because it is not direclty related to Castillan nor Portuguese, but rather to langues d'Oc spoken in southern France.
Btw according to Castillan-speakers in this thread, Catalan is more understanble than Galician .
>>
>>69445494
Uh forget my last sentence I wrote it too quickly sorry.
>>
>>69445494
Not true.

Galician=/=Portuguese

A Castilian speaker could understand >97% of Galician but only about 10-20% of Portuguese. Written you should be able to understand 95% of Portuguese tho.
>>
File: map.png (29KB, 1640x569px) Image search: [Google]
map.png
29KB, 1640x569px
>>
>>69445354
>>69445494
Interesting. That makes sense, thanks.
>>
File: 1455306548125.png (52KB, 785x407px) Image search: [Google]
1455306548125.png
52KB, 785x407px
>>
>>69445738
Aren't they supposed to be both lusophonic languages ?
>en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lusophone
Some even argue that it's the samw language:
>Somelinguistsargue thatGalician, spoken inGalicia, is a dialect of Portuguese; this would make northwesternSpaina part of the Portuguese-speaking world.
>>
I speak Spanish...

Portuguese = like 95% comprehension when reading, occasionally 100% depending on vocab used.

French/Italian = 75% comprehension

Romanian = 30% comprehension

Just tried reading Catalan for the first time and I'd say it's 98% intelligble.

Also, watched a Chilean film yesterday and needed subs...
>>
>>69445738

>en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galician-Portuguese
>Dialectal divergences are observable between the northern and southern forms of Galician-Portuguese in 13th-century texts but the two dialects were similar enough to maintain a high level of cultural unity until the middle of the 14th century, producing the medievalGalician-Portuguese lyric.
>The divergence has continued to this day, producing the modern languages of Galician and Portuguese
>>
>>69446015
i'm other anon, Do you know how close is the astur-leonese with the portuguese? Is closer to the spanish? no bullying
>>
Italian is the easiest to understand for a french speaker. Spanish is trickier because to find the french equivalent of words you really have to dig sometimes, same for portuguese.
Romanian is very particular, sometimes it's very easy to understand, sometimes it's impossible.
>>
File: frankish language.png (27KB, 676x404px) Image search: [Google]
frankish language.png
27KB, 676x404px
>>69445856
>posting the shoped version
>>
>>69446015
The subfamily is West Iberian as far as I know: galician-portuguese, astur-leonese, aragonese and castilian.
>>
>>69444730

Catalan:

Què vols fer?

Note: The pronunciation is not like if you were reading Spanish.
>>
>>69446241
When I say "Galician=/=Portuguese" is because nowadays they are different. The Galician spoken today has Castilian influence.
>>
>>69444730
>O que você quer fazer?
or
> O que queres fazer?
>>
>>69446554
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ku-Vk4oNuNg

I found this pretty funny
>>
>>69446113
Really ? Was it in standart chilean or slang chilean ?
I watched «poesía sín fín» recently and it was perfectly clear, whereas slang chilean is full retard.
>>
>>69445746
What's the rightmost flag?
>>
>>69446718
Basque country
>>
>>69446718
Basque Country

Its not even an Indo-european language
>>
>>69446431
i would say that the astur-leonese is a linguistic bridge between galician-portuguese and castilian (but the castillian have a complex origin)
>>
>>69443771
>Spanish
80% written
45% spoken

>Italian
50% written
55% spoken

>Catalan
Never heard it.

>French
20% written
5% spoken

>Romanian
lolwut
>>
>>69446568
O-ok senpai.
Have you been in Galicia ? Is Galician that spoken ? Wiki says between 2 and 4 million speakers, impressive.
What do you think of galician accent in spanish ? A friend of me told me galician accent was wonderful, but /esp/ guys hated it.
>>
File: pt-es.jpg (37KB, 624x476px) Image search: [Google]
pt-es.jpg
37KB, 624x476px
Euro PT here:
>Spoken
Euro Portuguese
Galician
Brazilian Portuguese
Spanish
Catalan
Italian
French
Romanian

>Written
Euro Portuguese
Brazilian Portuguese
Galician
Spanish
Catalan
French
Italian
Romanian

I think Euro Portuguese probably covers most of the other languages because we mute a lot of the sounds, so people don't know which sounds we're supposed to be making, but we do, so we can map it onto Spanish by just opening them all, if that makes sense.

I usually use this picture as a trolling mechanism, but it explains it well regarding Portuguese -> Spanish conversion (and Euro Portuguese -> Brazilian Portuguese as well, although the jump here is much smaller).

You can get the right from the left by just averaging it out, but you can't do it the other way.

>>69446907
Urban Galician is spoken like a Spaniard reading Portuguese (accent is very Castilianised). Rural Galician is basicallyPortuguese with a couple Spanish loanwords (which might actually come from Leonese), and a Portuguese-sounding accent (moreso than Castilian, at least).
>>
As someone from Galicia i can understand a lot of written Portuguese and some spoken portuguese as long as its not BR portuguese
Spanish itself is pretty close to portuguese afaik
from the other romance languages not much, a few words of italian and french
>>
>>69446753
>>69446775
Thanks.
>>
>>69446907
Yes, I have been to Galicia. yes, but as this guys says >>69447088 Galician differs a lot in how is spoken. But Castilian has gain a lot of ground in cities in Galicia tho, they still have accent.

The accent is funny, like the Catalan accent. I like it.
>>
>>69447088
Also, put Mirandese/Leonese next to Gallician on both accounts there, since it's a different thing, but basically as understandable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYadPT4EWaY

It's basically meme Portuguese. I wonder how Galicians/Castilians can understand it. I know it's sung so its a bit harder.
>>
>>69447542
Isn't this basically Astur-Leonese with Portuguese influence?
>>
>>69447618
Yeah, that's literally the definition of Mirandese, I think.

They definitely have a Portuguese-sounding accent, but I don't know how they do it in the Spanish communities where they speak it.
>>
I can understand spanish super easy but i also studied it for years, can mostly understand written portuguese but dunno about spoken.
Can't understand much french but some of it guess i probably do
>>
>>69447644
Let's be clear, it's very dead
But in rural and mountainous areas for sure you can find it for sure
>>
>>69443771
portuguese and spanish are essentially the same, it's almost as if we spoke the same language.

italian es very intelligible, we can have conversations easily.

french is almost impossible to understand, I mean, you can understand words here and there, but almost never an entire phrase.

romanian is just not even close.
>>
>>69448331
Mirandese has 10k regular speakers, and 5k more who know how to speak it.

It's not a lot, but I understand that it's actually on the rise, and it's used in local schools and whatnot (they still have to learn Portuguese, but they use Mirandese in other subjects).

>>69448288
How about this?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjEnPBFhFKQ

I often get Euro Portuguese compared to Polish, accent-wise, because of the occasional the nasal sounds.

>>69448480
Brazilian Portuguese, sure, but give a try to Euro Portuguese in this link ^
>>
>>69448515
Euro portuguese is so weird, no offense.
When I hear portugueses in the bus I always mistake them with romanians, then I recognize some spanish-related words and figure out realty.
>>
>>69448816
Yeah, it's a weird language. I figure it comes from being extra isolated, since Spain is mostly empty.

I wonder if Azorean Portuguese sounds better to you, since it sounds a bit french to us.

These are some absolute chavs, but it's about as dense as I could find. I can't understand squat (the "interviewer" is Brazilian, s don't get mixed up):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9sd7tU5ndg
>>
>>69448515
yeah, I think I understand pretty much everything.
>>
>>69449084
Odd, usually spaniarditos have trouble with it because they expect Brazilian
>>
>>69448920
Sounds kinda like an Italian-influenced semitic language to me
>>
>>69449310
It supposedly has Dutch/French influence, since they had a few emmigrants there for a while (and lived in complete isolation until the TV came round)
>>
>>69446410
Before proto - indo - european, it should be Indian language. :^}
>>
>>69449369
Oh okay, I can see how that would affect the language.
Do they consider themselves Portuguese? Or is there some independence movement there?
>>
>>69449084
I don't believe you
>>
>>69448920
Still fully slavic for my ears.
Are they talking about eating fishes ?

>>69448515
This one is kind of understandable (I'm a quite good spanish speaker). In a formal context Portuguese is OK.
>>
>>69443771
I studied latin in high school for 5 years and can understand romance languages somewhat better and can spot words that have common roots and that are derived, if not entirely preserved, from latin.
I can read spanish and portuguese easily and understand most of it. If spoken too quickly however I have a few difficulties here and there(mostly with portuguese), but overall I'd say these 2 languages are the closest to italian.
I completely understand french both written and spoken but I did like 8 years of french in school so I can't really give an accurate answer of how easy it would be to understand if I knew only italian.
Romanian amazes me honestly, we have a lot of romanians in /ita/ and sometimes they speak in romanian among themselves. Often the words they write are 100% preserved from latin, not even with a slight change as it usually happens, they even have some words or expressions that are more similar to their latin origins than the same words in italian. And often what they write down makes no sense whatsoever, sounds very slavic and I can't understand a single word. It's very 50-50 with romanian, some things you will understand perfectly, other times you will just scratch your head and wonder if that's even human speech. But knowing latin is a huge help.
>>
>>69449655
No, they are definitely Portuguese.

They have some extra autonomy because of the distance, but they still have to answer to the Portuguese government and are just another region of the country.

I think there's bound to be separatist movements, but none noteworthy, and most just ask for more autonomy.

They aren't self-reliant enough to be independent (Universities and whatnot), although they could easily become a tax haven, I guess.

>>69449717
I have no clue what they are talking about. They are forcing a very thick accent with regionalist words.
>>
>>69443771
>Spanish
Yes, slangs aside
>Italian
Mostly yes
>French
Around half
>Romanian
Some few words
>Catalan
No idea
>>
>>69444730
Qu'est-ce-que tu veux faire ?
Tu veux faire quoi ?

But French is a bit special with questions. A more literal and less oral/casual formulation could be:

Que veux-tu faire ?
Que voulez-vous faire ?
>>
>>69449690
>animales de todas partes del planeta, fueron atraidos hacia esta región.

that's just 20 seconds in, I'm not gonna watch the whole thing, but I did watch a good 2 minutes and yes, there are some words that I didn't understand here and there, but I still understand pretty much all of what he's saying.
>>
>Spanish
I read a book in Spanish for college without any prior education in the language, and only needed a dictionary for a couple of words with no similarities to the Portuguese equivalent. It's that easy. Spoken is much harder to understand, but doable.

>French
I have years of education in this, so I haven't a clue as to whether I could understand it without it.

>Italian
Written is intelligible with some difficulty, spoken not at all.

>Romanian
Never heard or read Romanian in my life.

>Brazilian
Completely alien, impossible to understand.
>>
>>69450435
Alberto please
>>
i can speak spanish (learned in school, still learning) and i can read portuguese more or less. only a few words and phrases if i hear it
>>
Italian and spanish are easy.
I learned french from 5th to 12th grade but for most romanians it's a bit harder to understand.
Portuguese is the one i understand the least.
>>
>>69444775
>5.Italian <—> Romanian (less sure about this)
Romanian is ayy lmao for us, but apparently it's easy for them to understand Italian
>>
>>69449841
>tfw we got 4 ways to ask a simple question

Love this autist language
Thread posts: 68
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.