[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I suck at tourism

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 4

File: tourist.jpg (28KB, 211x503px) Image search: [Google]
tourist.jpg
28KB, 211x503px
So I saved enough money to make a trip.

I am 30+, and I had never left my country before, so I thought that would be a nice and almost mandatory experience. Especially from someone who invested a lot of time reading about different countries.

I am in the fourth country of my schedule and I realized that travelling might be overrated. Or it is just not for me. Or I shouldn't be doing this alone, idk. I invested lot of money in this trip and, to this point, I don't think it was worth it.

I see historical buildings and think "ok, cool". Then I take a picture and it's invariably worse than any picture I find in Google. Then I pay to enter museums and they all start looking similar after a while. I eat local food and it's never tasty as the one back home. I talk to locals and I rarely learn more than I already knew from the internet. It is almost like I've already been to those places before, so much I read in advance. Also, everything ends up being more expensive because my currency sucks and the conversion fees only make things worse.

It was better when I "traveled" sitting in front of my computer. It was cheaper, cozier and had much less pressure involved.
>>
Wow. How is it possible to travel and even FAIL at it?
>>
>>69305598

you are not wrong

almost all people who go on vacations, do it for 2 reasons. To go to the beach, or to go to a ski resort.

If you are American you can do both in your country, you can go to Miami or Aspen for that, and if you want slightly better beaches, you can go to a tourist resort in Cancun, Cuba, Dominican Republic etc.
That is the normal tourism of people who go on vacations every year, not taking pictures of buildings.

Doing museums, historical buildings and ruins tourism is good, but something you dont need to do more than once in your life.
Just to be able to say I saw the Pyramids/Versailles/The Colosseum. But I font think you gain a lot by seeing them a fourth time.

Spain and Greece have beach cities which are like British colonies in which all people are British and speak English, Spain also has German beach colonies.
Similarly there are many places in the caribbean that will be full of American tourists.
>>
At least you are now literally more well-travelled than 95% of all Americans. You're practically a worldly man now and get to look down on everyone else whenever they talk about foreign issues
>>
File: robfordcaribana.jpg (60KB, 620x465px) Image search: [Google]
robfordcaribana.jpg
60KB, 620x465px
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adventure_travel

Take a look at that wiki site and see if any of it tickles your dick. There's nothing wrong with spending a day at a museum or seeing the major sites, but it does get old fast and imo you need to actually make some unique memories that you cant get on Google street view.

Pic unrelated.
>>
>>69308063
>Europeans can drive 100 miles and be in another country
>Canadians have to drive 200 miles to go shopping

If you actually stop to think about it it's pretty obvious why europeans statisticaly travel outside thier country more often.
>>
Holy fuck that's depressing. Maybe try again with friends or something
>>
>>69308485
Going to a different European country is barely considered going "abroad" though

A lot of Swedes ages 18-25 will already have travelled to every continent and been to more US states than most Americans have

We even went to USA on a school trip once...

How do you explain that away?
>>
>>69305598
>I shouldn't be doing this alone
Go with somebody travelling alone is always miserable for me. Fuckin hell me and my younger sister have trip to Japan planned for when I graduate and get a real job.
>>
>>69305598
Fuck the local sluts you dink!
>>
>>69308703
Source?
>>
File: IMG_20150822_221611.jpg (2MB, 3200x2368px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20150822_221611.jpg
2MB, 3200x2368px
>>69305598
>Or I shouldn't be doing this alone, idk
I think this is a real problem here. Although you can try to meet some random people at bars/events etc and spend time with them. Just walk alone from one tourists' spot to another must suck very fucking much.
>>
>>69308953
SCB.se or somewhere

I spoke from experience. I was the odd kid for not going on a 6 monther around asia after graduating primary school and before going off to uni
>>
>>69305598
I imagine travelling alone is pretty boring if you're not an extrovert.
>>
Maybe travelling isn't for everyone. I don't find it that great anymore either unless I go somewhere entirely new, which is pretty hard after having visited almost every relevant country and area that aren't warzones.
>>
>>69309114
Why do people hate being alone? I've always enjoyed travelling by myself.
>>
>>69309548
I'm okay traveling alone. I like just to be in a new place and wander around with music. But I think not all people can enjoy that. Although I can't get drunk and have fun alone. And some other things.
>>
>>69305598
>It was better when I "traveled" sitting in front of my computer. It was cheaper, cozier and had much less pressure involved.

Because it is, travelling is a meme
>>
couchsurf or stay at hostels and you meet some people to hang out with.
>>
>>69309792
Dude may be a bit old for that. I've stayed at lots of hostels but at my age now (30) I wouldn't want to stay in a place like that with all of those 18 year olds on their gap year.
>>
>>69309134
>primary school

Fucking retard. Gymnasium is literally upper secondary school. How are you this fucking stupid? Kill yourself.
>>
File: bd4Yamm[1].png (24KB, 640x479px) Image search: [Google]
bd4Yamm[1].png
24KB, 640x479px
>>69310268
At 30 you should travel with your wife and stay in luxury apartments in city centers.
>>
>>69310483
doesn't matter, not real school just baby school was the point
>>
>>69310578

Details do matter. The only people who think they don't are literally mouth-breathing retards such as yourself.
>>
OP I entirely agree with you. Where are you from?

I'm American and decided to travel to Europe for the first time (I've done france, germany, italy, this past two weeks and now in Barcelona.) and I don't really like it as much as I thought i would for the same reasons as you. I look at a building or monument and it's cool I guess but it feels kind of pointless. I guess the only point of doing this is just for the experience and bragging rights. But really, I much more enjoy traveling within my own country. After this trip I don't have any desire to come back to Europe or really do anything besides exploring the rest of the US
>>
>>69306898
>>69308063
I forgot to mention, but I am Brazilian. I'm just staying in the US right now.

>>69308616
>>69308793
Yeah, maybe loneliness is the problem. I think I am more introverted than I expected. Locals wouldn't talk about the things I wanted, and I don't know how to start conversations with other tourists. But it is indeed boring to see something interesting and not having someone to share your thoughts.

>>69309792
I'm in a cheap hotel. And yeah, but that would've been a better idea to have someone to hang out with. I will definitely try something like that in Europe.

>>69308916
I'm kinda fat, ugly, and introvert. It's not easy, man! Other than that, I could pay, but that does not sound right for me.
>>
>>69311498
* And yeah, but that = And yeah, that
>>
>>69305598
Toursim is a recreational activity. You need just relax try new food and go sightseeing. You are concentrating on new information and knowledge gaining and tourism is not about it as I already said. Just do that mindless roaming and see how people live or speak to someone if you really want to know more about the place
>>
>>69311211
Well, it's nice to know that I am not the only one. Thinking about it now, I believe I had a better time traveling within Brazil, for some reason. Maybe that feeling of belonging, I don't know.

Going to Europe next week, hoping to like it there. Worst case scenario, I can tell people that I've been to all those famous places.

>>69311763
I think you are right, maybe I should learn to be more relaxed and have more control of my expectations.
>>
>>69311498
>>69312033
Hey, OP, if you're still here, the thing I always enjoy the most about travelling is meeting different sorts of people. That and nature. I saw the Southern Lights in NZ, and they were incredible. Don't expect to go to an art gallery and be in awe of what you find there. I'd rather go to a quiet pub somewhere and strike up conversations with people. Maybe you could go somewhere a bit nearer than mainland Europe. Perhaps Iceland, if you're on the east coast, or Australia/NZ, if you're on the west.
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.