[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Dear people that speak English as a 2nd language, How did you

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 4

File: 0zyp8jvcdf4y.jpg (123KB, 1599x1015px) Image search: [Google]
0zyp8jvcdf4y.jpg
123KB, 1599x1015px
Dear people that speak English as a 2nd language,

How did you learn English? Through school? How long did it take to become fluent?
What was hard about it? Do you use it much in your daily life?
>>
>>69213916
Through school and private education
Not very fluent in english(b1)
>>
>>69213916
I learned English solely from reading, like 99% of Sweden's English-speaking population.

Everyone who tries to use Sweden's relatively high proficiency in English as a way to glorify it's educational system should cut their jugular veins.
>>
>How did you learn English?
Videogames helped a bit when I was a kid, but what really made me learn English was the Internet. I was unfortunate enough to discover 4chan at the age of 13 and haven't been able to leave since.
>Through school?
At first, but after starting to learn on my own I was way ahead of what we were studying in school.
>How long did it take to become fluent?
A few years I guess.
>Do you use it much in your daily life?
Only on the Internet.
>>
>>69213916
school, the internet and vidya
i never had to actually speak english out loud (or never cared to do so) until later in highschool and by that point i was already fluent enough
i use it quite a lot since im an autistic fuck and 4chan is my biggest source of social interaction
it never really felt particularly hard, but i guess writing and using tenses properly is what ive struggled with the most
>>
>>69213984
lol sven calm your tits
>>
>>69213916
The internet
I learned 99% of my english through the internet, the school might have helped with the advanced grammar

It's ridiculous how important immersion is. My understanding of the language is about equal to a native, though I do lack in vocabulary.
>>
I've learned languages almost purely by stalking their language-specific threads on /int/.
>>
>>69214306
Prove it
>>
>>69213916
Right here.
I can understand written English but can't speak it at all.
Been to the U.S. once and I was literally an autist during my trip.
>>
Anglo media, basically. Music, games, movies, shitposting, you name it.

Suddenly I knew english. Got almost a perfect score on TOEFL and after that went to a exchange program in the US, studying there (STEM) for a year.
I'm not so sure about how long I took to write it "fluidly", I'd say it was a slow process that lasted my teenage years.

Learning a language is also an emotional thing. If you're really, REALLY interested on the subject you're paying attention to, like tv shows or a game, you'll eventually learn that language.
>>
The basic stuff on school gave me a foothold, but I didn't care about other languages. Then the internatz, vidya, and a few novels I couldn't find in Spanish made my interest on it grow.
At that point I learned more english in a year than I had on something like 10 of mandatory school english.
Not particulary hard, few exceptions here and there, but the pronunciation of some stuff is outright retarded. I use it exclusively on the internet to interact with foreigners and that's it actually.
Knowing a new language is like discovering there's another room on what you thought was a single room house. Might have something to do with me also studying logic, fallacies and rethoric at the time, but it also helped me to be more rational.
>>
Vidya
>>
i learned with memes and shitposting in 4chan
>>
>>69213984
>it's
>>
File: 1471528024050.jpg (227KB, 1124x960px) Image search: [Google]
1471528024050.jpg
227KB, 1124x960px
>How did you learn English?
Mainly vidya and internet. Movies and music of course helped.
>Through school?
I was in an English speaking kindergarten between ages 3-6, which I assume helped a lot. After that I was always ahead of the class.
I don't know really, maybe a bit over decade of osmosis? I have never really ""studied"" English but instead have just learned it along the way while playing vidya or reading something online.
>What was hard about it?
Your pronunciation is fucked up. Finnish is very logical and straightforward since you pronounce all the letters, with a couple of exceptions, the same way in every word (one exception would be the -ng sound in words like plural of kenkä (kengät), which means shoe/shoes, or sänky (sängyt), bed/beds), meaning that even if person has never seen a particular word in Finnish they can still pronounce it correctly without issues, which again is not the case in English.
Yes, probably more than Finnish. Then again I hardly interact with people in real life.
>>
>>69213916
>How did you learn English? Through school?

Yes, I had english classes since I can remember. I started using it for real in the internet.

I don't think I'm fluent enough.

Only in internet
>>
I learned English while playing games.
>>
>>69213916
I think everyone here agrees on:

>Grammar
school
>The important stuff
Internet/Games
>>
>>69213916
School, and then movies/videogames/internet.
>>
File: 1481309656993.jpg (34KB, 600x750px) Image search: [Google]
1481309656993.jpg
34KB, 600x750px
>>69214549
>I hardly interact with people in real life.
>>
>>69213916
Pokemon
>>
>>69213916
Private education, there are English courses/ schools to teach the language.
By following its method I needed 5 years to finish it
>>
>>69213984
use /int/, get extreme.

this is the type of person i want to avoid in life forever.
>>
Was bretty good at it in school, but for some time after it was unconfident and lazy to actually use it. At first i only looked for lyrics of favorite songs and tried to understand something. At uni i gained a habit of looking up every unfamiliar word that i stumble upon in translator, then tried to do it while reading, started watching cartoons, reading wiki, and not too long ago noticed that I started thinking in it without notice. I seriously took on learning around 2 years ago. Listening comprehension varies by source, the best that I can reach is around 70% of tv speech, in case of coversational speed, also the british accent is still a huge hurdle. Another hard thing is lack of commas in punctuation compared to russian, so that I have to brood on some sentences to grasp its construction well.
>>
>>69214814
Was it worth it? It feels like anyone could learn english by themselves, considering the massive anglo media we consume.
>>
>>69213916
Jap school class is a shit.
I acquired a proper pronunciation by myself not to recall the hideous sound the jap teachers had uttered, and read Wikipedia and 4ch posts.
What I found a bit difficult was English language often uses a same word for multiple classes(verb, noun, adjective...), like "head", "station" and "name", that never happens in my language.
I don't use it in my life now. but I wish to someday.
>>
File: purchasing significant other.jpg (11KB, 411x369px) Image search: [Google]
purchasing significant other.jpg
11KB, 411x369px
Like every other Finn born in the late 90's, Runescape.
>>
>>69214901
I'm too intelligent to learn a language by myself mate.
If left alone I simply wouldn't find the motivation to study it everyday like it should be and also lack a lot of discipline. Having to go to a course creates an obligation and a routine to follow. Also, having a teacher gives you a few shortcuts like correcting your pronunciation from the very beginning and can more accurately indicate media of your current level to consume. It worked for me, so I don't really care what could have been
>>
>>69213916

My kindergarten offered English classes and my parents enrolled me at age 3. That laid the groundwork, Cartoon Network, 80's action movies and Windows 98 did the rest. I was completely fluent by the age of 11.
>>
>>69213916
That's so raven and Cory in the house.
>>
>>69220154
>Cory in the house
Is this true, or are you just memeing?
>>
I would say I learned the basics in school, everything after that is mostly from the internet
>>
>>69213916
School taught in English
Not long I guess
Don't remember
I speak more English than anything else 2bh
>>
>>69213916
school and when I started watching english stuff, I think Fight Club was the first movie that I ever watched completely in english
Thread posts: 35
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.