[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

why is it that people dismiss HDI? it takes into account >life

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 9

File: HDI.png (118KB, 863x466px) Image search: [Google]
HDI.png
118KB, 863x466px
why is it that people dismiss HDI?

it takes into account
>life expectancy: a long and healthy life
>education: nean years of schooling and Expected years of schooling
>a decent standard of living: income per capita

I've grown up knowing that we are miles ahead of the rest of latin america (to be fair there's nothing but shiholes, but still), knowing that we are in a slightly better place than the ex-commies, and that we're shit compared to western europe.

all this index does is confirm all of that, which makes me think that it's rather reliable.
why is it that everyone dismisses it though?

>saudi arabia
wether we like it or not, and backwards as their culture might be, it's a safe country with a good standard of living and education.
>>
HDI being irrelevant is a meme enforced by lesser countries that want to pretend they're comparable to Australia
>>
HDI is essentially calculated as the mean average high school inspection rating by respective governments. The top countries Finland, Japan and South Korea are only there because they still treat their children as slaves and not people.
>>
File: haha funny man.jpg (80KB, 1463x788px) Image search: [Google]
haha funny man.jpg
80KB, 1463x788px
>>68970270
>having someone else's flag on yours
>>
>>68970220
Because it is honestly garbage and, while capable of showing general trends, tends to put unusual amounts of value of certain things which allows other countries to score higher even if they shouldn't.

I.e. It's not the end all be all like people treat it, so take it with a grain of salt
>>
who exactly 'dismisses' it, especially on this board? I constantly see that fucking map in these dick-measuring contests

HDI obviously captures something important, it's just incomplete like any other such metric
>>
>Venezuela is higher than almost any other country in Latin America
>>
>>68970220
Cunts with high HDI may have higher levels of healthcare, education and standard of living but it doesn't mean that the individual is satisfied with it.

Also HDI is too general to tell whats actually going on in the respective cunt
>>
>>68970220
>why is it that people dismiss HDI?

People want to cling onto their prejudices or are butthurt.
>>
>>68970435
>4th
>amongst 10 countries
>almost higher than any other country

pls stop.
also, suriname and guyana are not real countries, but even then, it would be amongst 12.
>>
>>68970507
>almost any
>LATIN AMERICA, not south america
Can argies fucking read?
Also
>Cuba high HDI
>Morocco less than all the other North African countries
But you will still defend it only because you have the higher HDI in all LA
>>
>>68970561
I only counted SA because central america being infinitely inferior is a given.

also, what makes you think that Morrocco should be higher than say Algeria or Libya?

>But you will still defend it only because you have the higher HDI in all LA
I couldn't give a fuck about the rest of latin america, I'd just say the HDI is rather accurate, that's all.
>>
>>68970635
>central america being infinitely inferior is a given.
You do know that Costa Rica and Panama are much better than your country, right?
>>
>>68970477
youd have to be a big fucking cunt not to be satisfied living in any of the top 15 hdi countries. except maye brits, they have my sympathies

> im a poorfag
> lives in first world
lol
>>
File: 246248672486.png (259KB, 540x370px) Image search: [Google]
246248672486.png
259KB, 540x370px
>>68970698
>Costa Rica and Panma are much better than your country
>>
>>68970698
why do Colombians always try to turn the threads about Argentina?

stop, you obsessed nigger.
>>
File: Argentina10.jpg (81KB, 959x719px) Image search: [Google]
Argentina10.jpg
81KB, 959x719px
>>68970220
>miles ahead of the rest of latin america
>>
>>68970860
and another one.
stop already, nobody cares about your obsession with our country.
>>
>>68970886
Dude you're the one making a thread here
>>
>>68970220
HDI was invented so that policymakers could just see beyond GDP per capita, it was invented to just give a number, there is no methodology behind it and a lof of the metrics it uses are not doing a good job in describing what are they supposed to, for example they use years of schooling and expected years of schooling as a proxy for education but actual data, measuring actual skills for example, tell us that people with a high school degree in different countries have pretty different skills (an outcome of education which is what the HDI do try to measure), which means that for example one year of schooling in countries like Japan, the Netherlands or Finland is not the same as one year of scholing in Chile or Turkey but according to HDI it is, (which is not and that is why is bullshit)
>>
>>68970850
why is always argies that try to convince everyone that their country is any better than the rest of SA?
>>
>>68970220
>HDI
>education
Look everyone! Gender studies!
>>
>>68971418
I'm not trying to convince anyone, everyone knows this already.
>>
File: -1x-1.png (82KB, 740x1830px) Image search: [Google]
-1x-1.png
82KB, 740x1830px
>>68971782
Sure man
>>
>>68971440
Exactly.
And in a lot of these countries they push for everyone to just sign up for anything just to keep the education numbers high even if it's a worthless meme education, and to drastically reduce their unemployment numbers.
>>
>>68972306
Where?
>>
>>68972228
>159.7

how
>>
>>68972228
>South Africa
>Greece
>Ukraine
>Spain
>Serbia
>Turkey
>Brazil
>Croatia
>Uruguay
>Cyprus
>Russia

do you honestly think that those countries are in a worse situation than yours?
I mean, jesus are you grasping at straws now.
>>
>>68972505
Explain to me "our condition"
>>
>>68970220

Because America isn't number one. That is the only reason on this site.
>>
>>68972399
Finlan
>>
Reminder that if your country isn't number one on the HDI index list, then it's a total shithole.
>>
>>68973079
Good luck living in your hellhole
>>
>>68973100
Norway is number one FYI
>>
File: 1482294325495.jpg (123KB, 410x410px) Image search: [Google]
1482294325495.jpg
123KB, 410x410px
>>68973300
at sucking dick
>>
>>68973329
Argentina must be number 2 then
>>
>>68973550
there they go again.
can't go a post without talking about my country.
obsessed niggers.
>>
>>68970220
Btw when will the data for 2015 come out?
>>
File: 9be.jpg (57KB, 600x448px) Image search: [Google]
9be.jpg
57KB, 600x448px
>>68973573
>flag
>calling anyone else niggers
>>
>>68970220
HDI might not be the best, but it let you know that if a country is "medium" or "low", then it's a shithole.
>>
IHDI is considered the more accurate one.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_inequality-adjusted_HDI
>>
File: 1444149466434.png (80KB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
1444149466434.png
80KB, 200x200px
>>68970220
Europeans and Americans are skeptical when they realise le spooky spider land keeps scoring higher than them
>>
>>68970220
>education: nean years of schooling and Expected years of schooling
This is a big one. In third world countries, longer schooling is by definition better. In the West, it is not. It could very well mean your education system is sub-par because you have so many children repeating years, yet it translates into a higher score.
>>
>>68975431
no m8, they take into account people repeating years.
also, it's mainly to see how many people in said country go through terciary education.
I think that's literally the only reason why argentina is up there, university is free.

I mean, sure, we're taxated up our asses, but everyone has access to college so that's alright.
Thread posts: 44
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.