[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why does America not have any squares? You see a lot of parks,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 3

File: square.jpg (1MB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
square.jpg
1MB, 2048x1536px
Why does America not have any squares? You see a lot of parks, but large, paved open areas for pedestrians are very rare to come upon.
>>
File: 1447420414947.png (531KB, 559x401px) Image search: [Google]
1447420414947.png
531KB, 559x401px
>>68902018
Because they are round
>>
Cities with squares were built before the automobile era, unlike 99% of american cities
>>
>>68902472
>>68902018
I guess the architects and city planners never cared for it.
>>
In my experience pedestrian areas are pretty shoddy in US cities, they are built around cars.
>>
>>68902018
Because only plebians walk.

Real Americans drive.
>>
>>68902542
I have not yet collected this flag.
>>
We (unlike gay yuropoors) resist globalism
>>
>>68902018
>most famous American square
>is not square
>full of cars
>>
>>68902624
Real Americans drive automatic
fixed it for you, bud
>>
Why do you need one?
>>
Because the only public space anyone is willing to spend money on in the US is shopping space. All the other space is divided up into GIT OFF MAH LAWN private properties.
>>
>>68902018
American city planners have prioritised cars over people since the 1950s.
>>
>>68902703
Historically main squares were used for markets and political announcements and were the pivot point for administration and commerce. Generally public spaces promote public activities and therefore communal bonding.
>>
>>68902659
i was in saudi arabia for the past year
>>
>>68902801
>political announcements
>promote public activities
Hopefully that doesn't mean something like BLM movements
>>
>>68902018
Americans don't walk.
>>
>>68902801
It's also for public executions.
>>
>>68902855
Wouldn't you rather protests take place in a square downtown than in the middle of the freeway?

Although american freeways run directly through their downtown anyway I guess
>>
>>68902668
>globalism
>Agent of American imperialism, imposing their will on the entire world for the profits of their companies and the wealth of their citizens
>Autismo population reaches critical weight
>Turn on their own apparatus

Was it the immunisation injections?
>>
>>68902963
The world is meant to serve the American people. It's not globalist if the usa does it because we are the successor to rome.
>>
>>68902949
>a square downtown than in the middle of the freeway
Eh not really. In downtown, there are a lot of properties those fucks can damage while it isn't the case for the middle of highway.
>>
>>68902949
Protests are illegal in USA. If you want to organise a 'peaceful protest' you have to request permission in advance and the police will put you in a tiny fenced area surrounded by riot squads from which you cannot move and you're only given a couple hours at most.
>>
>>68902949
>would you rather BLM protesters be somewhere they can't be hit by cars?
What a silly question.
>>
>>68903056
>Memes are illegal in Finland. If you want to organise a 'dank meme' you have to request permission in advance and the police will put you in a tiny message board surrounded by bears from which you cannot move and you're only given a couple seconds at most.

You have no idea what you are talking about.
>>
>>68902855
Maybe if your communities grew closer together, you'd finally figure out a way to fix the violent poverty in your country. But you don't want that. You want wealth segregation. You want to live in your quiet fenced off neighborhood far away from all the issues of your society. Because America is about individualism and individualism means that nothing is ever your responsibility.
>>
>>68903245
Well, Koreans and black lived quite close to each other before the LA riots. Obviously that did not prevent Koreans from being robbed.

Pretty much the same thing happens with Hispanics and blacks. They often live very close but never make much interaction.

Maybe, it is true for homogeneous countries in Europe but I don't think it works when there are multiple groups.
>>
>>68903366
Nobody makes any interaction in the US because there are no public spaces. No decent parks, no squares, no pedestrian zones, just everyone's neighborhoods sprinkled with strip malls or shopping malls to rush in and rush out of.
>>
>>68903527
Public space is a waste when there is money to be had. Using land area for something that doesn't charge money for access isn't smart, you need to slap a business of some kind on it, hire guards to harass anyone who loiters there without buying anything, that sort of thing.
>>
>>68903602
Oh right, I forgot that Americans made it illegal to be in public without buying anything.
>>
>>68903366
>homogeneous countries in Europe

Having a lesser variation of skin colour does not always mean ac ountry is homogeneous, you're behind Luxembourg and not much far ahead of Switzerland, Australia and New Zealand.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_foreign-born_population
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.