[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Arabic Pronunciation

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4

File: image.jpg (26KB, 800x385px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
26KB, 800x385px
Why is ا sometimes pronounced like the a in "air" and sometimes like the a in "father" in standard Arabic?
>>
>>68812696
It depends on which letter proceeds it. For example "خا" is read with a deep a whereas "جا" isn't.

[spoiler]I think[/spoiler]
>>
>>68812696
Any examples of the words in Arabic?
Do you mean in tajwid of the Quran (tafkhim/tarqiq rules) or in general Arabic?
>>
>>68813478
Words containing a long "ا" without a "ء" in standard Arabic. Just everyday vocabulary, like كتاب، كلاب، أقلام
>>
>>68813478
He's talking about the Hamza and shit
>>
>>68812696
>britbong learning arabic

I hope you want to apply for the MI5, fucker.
>>
>>68813639
No, I was specifically talking about cases where there is no hamza, usually in the middle of the word. I can't seem to see any pattern as to how it's pronounced in such a case, and I was wondering if it was more down to a speaker's individual accent or dialect instead of any real rules.
>>
>>68813654
I could tell you, but then I'd have to kill you.
>>
>>68813590
>>68813711
I'm not sure what you mean, all the اs in these words you mentioned are pronounced the same way
And yeah there is difference in ا pronouncation in Arabic dialects, Iraqis for example have this deep "aa" and Egyptians "aa" isn't deep at all
>>
>>68813853
Thank you. That was exactly what I was looking for. So, as a non-native speaker, it's totally okay to pronounce the alif in all those words (and any other words) like the "ai" in "air" OR the "a" in "father"? And any differences I may hear (unless there's a hamza involved) are simply due to the background of the individual speaker?
>>
>>68813959
Lebanese people would pronounce it as "ktaib" when speaking dialect and may pronouce it as "kitaib" when speaking standard but of course it's an inacuratte pronouncation as there's no "ai" sound for ا in original Arabic but people will understand it anyway.
>>
>>68814163
Brilliant. Again, thank you.
>>
File: 1465764542967.jpg (60KB, 500x495px) Image search: [Google]
1465764542967.jpg
60KB, 500x495px
>British flag asking about Arabic pronunciation

Can't make this shit up
>>
>>68814499
The arab world is pretty big, and the arabic language can be interesting. Don't judge your fellow britbong.

>>68814163
My parents pronounce the english "ai" a lot of times, like in the name "Aminah". Maybe it's a lebanese thing, idk.
>>
>>68814499

Most of our muslims are pakis and Bangladeshis lad.

We have hardly any MENA immigrants.
>>
File: a.jpg (198KB, 934x965px) Image search: [Google]
a.jpg
198KB, 934x965px
> Arabic Pronunciation Anonymous 2 hours ago No.68812696>>68813320 >>68813478 >>68813654
>Why is ا sometimes pronounced like the a in "air" and sometimes like the a in "father" in standard Arabic?
>>
>>68815471
Wut
>>
File: taf.jpg (31KB, 620x415px) Image search: [Google]
taf.jpg
31KB, 620x415px
>>68813320
You're right. But none of those are ever pronounced as "ai" as in "air" except for dialect.
>>
>>68812696

i practiced for months and get able to pronounce h, h., kh

>mfw s/s., t/t.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.