[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Tell me about Milwaukee, WI

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

File: Article378.jpg (79KB, 800x400px) Image search: [Google]
Article378.jpg
79KB, 800x400px
Hi Americans

I might be going to Milwaukee in the fall 2017 to study.
I know nothing about the place. I find that somewhat intriguing as I wouldn't mind going somewhere which is less "mainstream" America.

If I go, I'll be studying at Marquette University.

What to expect? How is the state, the city and - if anyone knows - the university?
>>
>>68782301
What are your other options? Milwaukee kind of sucks. Awful weather, very segregated, and not the many interesting things there. On the plus side, Marquette would be fun for going to the basketball games. You're also pretty close to Chicago.

But really, if you want to study in WI I would rather study in Madison
>>
>>68782301
lol you made this thread yesterday

You chose a boring city. Milwaukee is known for being "an uptight conservative shithole were you can get a night in jail for holding a gram of weed".

If you still have the option to change your location and you want to stay in Wisconsin, go to Madison. If you have the option to choose other states, go to California and live in either Los Angeles, San Diego or Berkeley.
>>
>>68782436
This, pretty much. American universities are cool in the sense that they are like little villages that exist in the middle of a larger area, so the immediate area around Marquette is where you'd be spending most of your time, and that will be cool, filled with other students, restaurants, bars, etc.

Milwaukee as a city kind of sucks, though. It's not awful, but there isn't really anything of note and it's poor and run down. The weather obviously shouldn't be a problem for you, but I agree with the Spanish guy; look and see if you can go to Madison instead.
>>
You're going to a shit city to study at a shit university. Reconsider.
>>
>>68782436
>very segregated
>a bad thing
>>
>>68782685
You really do not know what you are getting yourself into
>>
Red letter media
And blacks
>>
>>68782599
>>68782436

Unfortunately neither are an option as I have applied through my university and the only spot i've been given is the one at Marquette. I won't have to pay any tuition fees this way, which is also why I can afford it

Sounds like it may take a bit of effort to really like it, but on the other hand I suppose just focusing on enjoying the area around the university might get me a somewhat good time.

Hows the nature scene in the state? Any good road trips I could make in the weekends?
Say I want to travel around once the semester is done, which is by winter 2017, does the state or sorrounding states have anything to offer?

>>68782584
Yeah I made it this morning (6 AM danish time) but I was advised to remake the thread later so that more Americans would be awake
>>
>>68782657
I'm not particuarly interested in the academics, I'm moreso just interested in having a good time. Surely that is doable even if the city isn't that great?
>>
Remember that the city is experienced as an exchange student with perhaps a slightly more open mind and drive to have fun

If there's no severe risk of me being murdered or totally shunned by the local community and the university just has a decent college cive/environment I could make due with that and have fun
>>
>>68782742
The one you replied to isn't me, I'm OP

Don't know if segregation in a city like that is bad or good

Heard that the minorities mostly live in the north west part which is also where most of the crime seems to happen
>>
>>68782860
You will have a lot more fun in other American cities. If you like the midwest, consider Madison or Chicago. If you like the east coast, New York or Boston. If you like the west coast, LA, San Diego, San Francisco or Seattle.

Out of all the cities to choose from in America, why did you choose Milwaukee? That's like an American choosing to spend a semester in Warsaw.
>>
File: mil.png (263KB, 859x423px) Image search: [Google]
mil.png
263KB, 859x423px
>>68782685
pic related. university is the little white area (purple)
red is black
blue is mexican
>>68782810
if it's your only option, go for it, you'll have a great time. The midwest is a great part of the US, just be ready for cold weather. Milwaukee itself i don't really like, but as >>68782599 said, you'll be spending your time there around the university which i'm sure is a really cool area. i would try to get up north to green bay once to watch a packers game, that would be really fun. will you have a car? chicago is my favorite city in the US so you'll definitely enjoy visiting it. i don't know much about the nature in that state but i'm sure it's beautiful, albeit flat
>>
>>68783087
I apply through my home university who have a limited number spots at different universities to which they can send their students.

While there are also agreements with top tier schools in California and on the East Coast, there's maybe one or seats each place and maybe 5000-7000 students, in theory, compete for those few seats.

In general, all american universities are very popular here. Even those that aren't necessarily considered good by American standards.

I, knowing that my grades wouldn't get me one of the best deals, instead figured that going to Milwaukee could give me a different, yet interesting experience from what exchange students usually get while studying abroad.

I did have Tulane in New Orleans as a priority as well
>>
>>68783312
I don't plan on getting a car unless its an absolute necessity and/or those I end up living with want a car or already own one we could split.

But I definetely plan on renting a car for some weekend trips etc. going to green bay is a great idea. So is driving to chicago.

good advice in general, thank you.

I guess I'll stay on campus in Milwaukee and otherwise just get out of there as much as possible and see different stops (if I end up going there, that is)
>>
>>68783322
If Milwaukee is your only option, then it is worth going. I personally have never been to Milwaukee, but I'm sure it will have plenty to offer, especially for a foreigner who is spending a semester there.

If you have the opportunity, do try to visit Chicago, or at least Madison. The United States is a large country and each city has its own culture. I'm guessing that Milwaukee will give you an impression of what "traditional middle America" is like, but don't expect it to be an extravagant city like Los Angeles.

What do you want the most from studying abroad? I spent a semester in Freiburg, Germany and found it fun to live and travel through smaller European cities. By studying in Milwaukee, you will have the opportunity to see and travel to parts of the US that most foreigners do not usually visit.

Sorry if I am rambling in this post, I am hungover.
>>
>>68783474
also don't listen to the american giving you shit, marquette is not a bad school, and there are much worse places you could go than milwaukee. it's a big city so there will be lots of cool events you can do in the city. anything along the bay and the downtown area will be fine. obviously the red and blue area on the map i posted aren't nice but you won't ever be there anyway. i think it will be best to rent a car when you want to travel outside of the city. american univerisity campuses are very fun and you'll have a lot to do just on the campus. i think you will have a lot of fun and it will be cool to experience the midwest rather than just a typical international city like new york. if you read up on wisconsin online i'm sure you will find a lot of cool stuff, i just don't have much experience with that state in particular
>>
>>68783848
*lake michigan not bay
>>
>>68783631
Thanks!

Mostly I just want to get the American college vibe and then travel around in a part of the US where Europeans don't ordinarily go. I feel like the US has much more to offer beyond Miami, NYC and LA which is the typical destinations of Europeans.

I would definitely go to Chicago, probably even more than once. Also Madison, and I also plan to go to Green Bay.
Furthermore I could see myself doing roadtrips on a few weekends, just cruising around the countryside watching the nature and maybe staying at a bed'n'breakfast.

I might also fly to Minneapolis, Indianapois and Kansas City just to experience the culture of the cities there.

I have been in the US before (NYC and LA) and as cool as it was, I didn't feel much soul either place. I'm a total sucker for American culture, history and generally "middle America" so essentially I just really want to get familiar with just that and, you know, have a good time like college students do.

>>68783848
Thank you. I'm not going for the academics, but wouldn't mind that the university is at least halfway decent.

I figure that, as you say, students especially in a major city often will be inclined to go to a lot of events.

Thanks for the very good advice and also the encouraging words. I once made the mistake of asking for traveling advice on /pol/ (also regarding Milwaukee, but also Melbourne in Australia) and the responses were more negative than anything I could have imagined
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.