[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

English learning

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

File: English.jpg (157KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
English.jpg
157KB, 640x360px
So /int/, here is my story:
When I was 16 years old my English level was like barely an A2 but one day I found 4chan and I started lurking it every single day and reading threads on /b/ and /r9k/ even thought at the beginning I was only able to understand like 30% 40% percent of the stuff that I read I was still able to get the general idea of each post. By the end of the year I could read and understand about 90% of all the stuff that I read online and the only thing that I did during that time was reading 4chan posts without looking up the meaning of the words I never studied any grammar I just absorbed the language like a sponge so I learned how to use many words such as ' will', 'would' and ' should' without knowing their actual translation to Spanish.
This year I decided to finally enroll myself on an academy to learn English the proper way but I dropped out like a month ago because it just wasn´t worth it I mean they took me a placement test to see how good my English was and they placed me on an A2 level, after my first day of class they told me that my English was too good for that level and that they were going to send me to the B1 level and this is the level in which I´ve been on during this year and I decided to drop out of there because I wasn't learning anything, sure I didn't know anything about the grammar rules and to be honest I never paid attention to the grammar nor did I study a single time and still I was the one with the best English level in all the classes I've been in. Another reason for me to drop out was that I found out all the English grammar topics and after spending some time researching about each one of them I came to the conclusion that the only stuff grammar-wise that I didn't know was: future continuous, future perfect continuous, and mixed conditionals, but this is stuff that I can learn on my own on the internet on grammar websites and with YouTube videos. So my question is: did I make the right choice?
>>
>>68123009
BTW this fucking chink jew piece of shit has fucked up this place so bad I had to cut a shitton of information off of my post because I kept getting a messagge saying that the field was too long I swear it wasn´t like this a year ago
>>
>>68123009

get the first certificate https://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_Certificate_in_English, and later the toefl https://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/TOEFL. That looks nice on your curriculum vitae. you will have to pay for them.

Apart from that you did well.
>>
>>68123009
>did I make the right choice?
yes, you can always pass some official exam, if you need some document for your employer
>>
>>68123548
>>68123578
kek, hivemind
>>
>>68123009

also, try reading serious literature in English, from the 1800s on (older stuff like Shakespeare is rather comlicated because people simply spoke differently back then) to broaden your vocabulary.
You can skip poetry.
>>
>>68123548
Yeah I was planing on eventually getting the FCE but I still have to learn how to properly make all the vowel sounds I already know how to properly make all the consonants and I also have to study the grammar topics that I stated on my first post and other phonetics related topics like word linking, word stress, sentence stress, intonation, Ryhtm of English etc
>>
>>68123863
There is another exam - TOEIC, it's provided by the same organisation as TOEFL, but in the case of TOEIC you may pass only one part (listening & reading), it's cheaper too, at least in Poland, FCE is quite expensive, not mentioning CAE.
>>
I respect that you learned English that way so much. Maybe if I felt more pressure to learn a non-English language I'd put so much of myself into it, but everyone else speaks English. It's a curse in disguise.
>>
>>68123803
Any recommendation?

I got a couple of Stephen King books that have a lot of vocabulary that isn´t used on 4chan, YouTube videos or in everyday speaking
>>
>>68123863
>>68124034
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TOEIC
>>
>>68124083
If you like King then try Swan Song by Robert R. McCammon, it's similar to The Stand
>>
>>68124098
>FCE is quite expensive

how expensive?

>>68124075
The only option if you don´t have the willpower to learn a language is to go to live in a place where the language is spoken and force yourself to speak it of course this only applies to places like mainland China if you try to learn dutch by immersing yourself in their country they´ll end up speaking to you in English
>>
>This year I decided to finally enroll myself on an academy

Mixing up in and on
>Hispanic problems
>>
>>68125153
>how expensive?
Currently it's about $150 in Poland, while TOEIC Listening & Reading Test costs half this price. Also mind that in the case of FAC you can only pass your exam and receive a B2 certificate, while TOEFL and TOEIC don't have this kind of limit, so if you have many points, you may receive a C1 certificate. To have C1 from Cambridge you need to pass CAE that costs more.
>>
>>68125469
>while TOEFL and TOEIC don't have this kind of limit, so if you have many points, you may receive a C1 certificate

I remember Reading somewhere on the internet that the same stuff applied to the Cambridge exams meaning that if you performed good enough you could get the CAE instead of the FCE when taking the FCE
>>
>>68125469
>>68125153
Of course, I'm not trying to say that FEC and AEC are bad, they are just different. Also remember that they may contain some questions about grammar structures that are used in the UK (but I'm not sure, you would have to check it). Another important point - I may be wrong, but as far as I know all these exams (FEC, TOEFL etc.) are valid only for some time, usually 2 years, ie. you may always use them to prove that you passed them, but if you try to enroll in some foreign university then you need to have a certificate that is not older than two years - I have some Russian and Chinese certificates and they work like that too.
>>
>>68125890
>I remember Reading somewhere on the internet that the same stuff applied to the Cambridge exams meaning that if you performed good enough you could get the CAE instead of the FCE when taking the FCE
OK, I may be wrong, sorry, but check it at the institution that provides these exams in your country.
>>
File: cant even fathom.png (286KB, 404x507px) Image search: [Google]
cant even fathom.png
286KB, 404x507px
OP, try reading some H.P. Lovecraft. It's some dank shit.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.