[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Language preference

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 1

File: Step-1-select-language.png (10KB, 304x167px) Image search: [Google]
Step-1-select-language.png
10KB, 304x167px
For those of you who are bi- or multilingual:
When given the option to select a language, do you select your own, or do you select a different language than your mother tongue?

Feel free to elaborate why or why not.
>>
Always choose english
If something goes wrong its way easier to find support
Except for my phone, that´s in japanese
>>
I always use english
>>
>>68011796
i always select english desu
>>
i choose esperanto whenever it's available
>>
>>68011796
english for software/OS
russian for games
>>
English desu

But lately I have been using French as my preferred language
>>
>>68011796
Unless it's vidya I always choose my own language when available, if it is not I usually take English.
I pick French or Spanish only when I already know what I'm dealing with
>>
>>68011823
>Always choose english
>If something goes wrong its way easier to find support

fpbp
>>
>>68011796
I always try to use English. Otherwise
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DmMCbTAmFI8
>>
English but occasionally French.
>>
>>68011823
>If something goes wrong its way easier to find support
Completely agree.

I always pick english.
Mostly because of the very same reason you stated, but also because I hate having everything translated to norwegian.

It sounds stupid many of the translations and I feel stupid for using it.
I might use other languages if I bother trying to learn them.
>>
english
but it's annoying when I have to help someone or be helped by someone, there's always a delay where the person tries to translate it in their mind
>>
>>68011956
btw its funny to play games in different languages

i have one game in english, french and german, its fun to switch languages
>>
>>68011796
In terms of video games or programs its only english, a few years ago translations were pretty awful in french for example, so I would skip all the trouble and use english, troubleshooting is also easier, having my windows 7 set to french was a fucking terrible idea, since the translations for panels/controls are literally impossible to translate

>>68012003
I played the metro games in Russian once, didn't understand anything but it was quite immersive, I change the spoken voice if I have the opportunity so I don't get tired of the voice lines
>>
>>68012003
Sometimes I try playing Korean games in Korean.
I don't get far.
>>
>>68012003
this game i played in german too mostly
you simply don't understand anything

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_oZpPhEK-s
>>
>>68011850
bedaŭrinde tiu opcio estas malkutima en aplikaĵoj.
>>
>>68012113
>not moving for 4 min
>finally 4:30 andere bremse !!
kek
so knowing the language isn't always helpful
>>
Always English. It's convenient when I have to instruct other people to configure shit remotely all the time.
>>
always english lol (i dont speak any thing else xD)
>>
>>68011796
Im from india and choose english, they dont have my mother tongue as an option.

I dont mind either, english is the easiest language and its simple to use. Easy to search and find things youre looking for, can find help for problems you run into, can watch videos online to help with that.
>>
english for stuff that can have problemos that may need fixing
swedish for everything else
>>
English. I feel more comfortable for some reason and it fucks over thieves.
>>
>>68011796
English.

Sometime ago, translations used to be fucked up, so I used english. Now I just do it because.
>>
english

why? I'm a cuck
>>
>>68011796
tfw you know english better than your mother tongue
>>
>>68011796
>When given the option to select a language, do you select your own, or do you select a different language than your mother tongue?

On programs I just go with the default option, which is in most cases english, but when it comes to movies or videogames it depends. If there is a latin americant dub or translation, I go with that, but if it's spain spanish I'll avoid it like plague.
>>
>>68013191
what do they speak in ceylon?
>>
>>68013268
Sinhala, Tamil, English and Malay
>>
>>68011796
spanish out of comfiness.
most of the time I don't think it's that necessary to choose english
>>
>>68013341
i thought your flag was the Venetian republic
>>
>>68012113
Havent they a funny accent?
>>
English, mainly for the same reason as the first post, but also because a lot of Hebrew interface translations are poorly optimized and fuck up the text direction.
>>
Always English, because I can't read or write Arabic.
>>
>>68013341
Malay, really? I thought it was just Sinhala + Tamil.

I had heard there are a handful of people who speak a Portuguese creole in the coastal towns as well.
>>
>>68011796
depends
>>
>>68011796
English, my own is almost never available, and when it is, its very badly translated
>>
>>68011823
This
Even if I can translate some error message from portuguese to english for the purpose of googling it, it can end up not being that accurate if compared to the actual message in english.

The applications that I develop in C# and C++ the primary language is also english because of the accessibility it offers.
>>
>>68011796
Depends. Sometimes it's English and sometimes it's French.
>>
>>68016315
As I've noticed, many error messages are translated poorly.
>>
export LANG=en_US.utf8
>>
always english. our translation is ridiculous
>>
>>68011796
i usually choose english because when something goes wrong it's easier to google for troubleshooting in english
Thread posts: 44
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.