[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Before the war, what did you think of this country?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 3

File: syria_rel-2007.jpg (1MB, 2144x2160px) Image search: [Google]
syria_rel-2007.jpg
1MB, 2144x2160px
Before the war, what did you think of this country?
>>
>>67089648

I didn't think of it.
>>
Didn't think of it much desu, but I knew they occupied Lebanon for some time and were the laughing stock of the middle east for some time
>>
Rightful British clay
>>
>>67089670
>Aleppo

Who?
>>
>>67089648
These borders look like a math homework
>>
>>67089884
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sykes–Picot_Agreement
>>
not much, but now its apparently the most important country in the world
>>
>>67089648
rightful israeli clay
>>
Assholes who we defeated on three separate occasions. People who like bitching about a mountain.
>>
File: caliph.jpg (72KB, 510x266px) Image search: [Google]
caliph.jpg
72KB, 510x266px
>>67089648
I read of this great nations past in books of history deep in my youth. The splendour of Roman Damascus, the great Saint John of that very same city, the Palmyerans and how they saved the Roman Empire, Antioch and how it was once the greatest city in the world. All this and more I knew of Syria.

The modern Republic is an Arab shithole, and when the civil war started and ISIS sprang up, I wasn't surprised. Fuck Islam.
>>
>>67089884
At least they acknowledge the Golan heights as the rightful Syrian clay that they are.
>>
>>67089648
Idk, is there any Turk or Lebo to confirm whether it used to be liveable place?
>>
>>67089670
Is your name Gary?
>>
>>67089648
I knew it existed, but not much beyond that.
>>
I didn't even know it existed
>>
A dictatorship, its government a relic of pan-Arabist Baathism.
Tried to enter into a union with Egypt, which failed.
Russian proxy during Cold War.
Lost several wars (and the Golan) to Israel.
Saw Lebanon as its sphere of influence. Occupied it for decades, and used it as the playground for its intelligence services, assassinating and blowing up anyone and anything the Assad family didn't like.
Flooded Iraq with al-Qaeda just to fuck with the Coalition during the Occupation.

Suffice to say, nothing too pleasant.
>>
Best friend is from Syria
>>
>>67089648
Culturally superior to their Arab neighbours. They gave rise to the first cradle of civilization, contributed to the Roman Empire, played a large role in the Islamic Golden Age, tolerated several ethnoreligious groups despite heavy adversarial attitudes in the Middle East, etc. However, they're really shit at war considering the number of times they've been conquered/controlled/colonized.
>>
I DON'T think about this country.
>>
>>67089884
I know. I had to write an exam about it. Thats why I disagree with >>67093730

>>67093989
Israel is a meme. It should be all Arab clay
>>
>>67094019
i don't really know, syria was irrelevant before the war
>>
>>67089648

My dad went there with a friend in 2000. At one point they, a pair of white westerners, were sat in plastic chairs at a Damascus rail depot watching train workings, chatting with locals and drinking beers in the sun.
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.