[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/languages/

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 138
Thread images: 10

File: nastaliq.png (50KB, 640x471px) Image search: [Google]
nastaliq.png
50KB, 640x471px
>ITT: We discuss which languages we have chosen to learn and why we do so, and others rate our taste.

I've been studying Persian for two years. It's a beautiful language and Iran is an awesome place to spend time. Being able to read and write the script is cool and impresses the ladies. It's also an in demand language for interesting lines of work that will make $$$.
I'm just beginning Urdu now. Its relationship with Persian means I should be able to pick it up relatively quickly, and the fact that is is basically the same as Hindi means that it will be quite useful and easy to find people to practice with. It's not quite as cool as Persian, but by speaking both languages I will be able to get by in a huge region covering Iran, Afghanistan, Tajikistan, Pakistan and India + large diaspora.
>>
File: TOKPqFC.png (73KB, 454x453px) Image search: [Google]
TOKPqFC.png
73KB, 454x453px
>>66594172
Learn Arabic
also,
>Persian
its Farsi you retard
>>
>>66594172
French, but it's sad what's happening to them and the rest of Western Europe by getting cucked by "refugees"
>>
>>66594341
>Learn Arabic
No.

>its Farsi you retard
Farsi is literally Persian in Persian.
>american """""""education"""""""
>>
>>66594172
Urdu in speaking is similar to Hindi but in writing its completely different
>>
>>66594473
Yeah I know, but learning an alphabet is easy. The main thing is talking anyway.
>>
>>66594483
Why not learn the colonial languages like spanish and get access to parts of the world actually worth going to?
>>
>>66594501
Because I like that part of the world and will engage with it in my work. I have very little interest in South America desu.
>>
>>66594483
Urdu and Hindi both are beautiful languages for writing poetry. So the effort is worth it when you learn them but sadly there aren't any good and reliable dictionary online to help you with to find the meaning of words.
>>
>>66594444
If you're interested in being able to communicate with people from that region of the world, Arabic is by far the most useful language but your funeral.
>Farsi is literally Persian in Persian
Thats why its called Farsi you dipshit.
>>
I was learning French but just lost interest on it, might try something new like Korean or Japanese since Asia is still unknown nowadays.
>>
Grew up with both spanish and portuguese, english came quickly after.
Got sent to an italian school, but my skills with that language aren't as sharp as I'd like, trying to keep practice with duolingo and hitting the /ita/ threads once in a while.

Suomi seems really appealing to me (as well as aestonian, icelandic, danish and dutch), but none of those languages would serve me any practical purpose and most are awfully hard from what I've heard (dutch seems quite similar to english so I might try with that).
>>
>>66594554
Yeah, I'll probably be spending 10 months in Pakistan next year so hopefully I'll pick up a good level of proficiency then. Is poetry a big part of the culture in India, like Iran?

>>66594557
Mate the people, languages and cultures from Iran onwards are completely different. Arabic will be useless there. Your ignorance is showing.
>Thats why its called Farsi you dipshit.
You can call it what you want. We all know Farsi = Persian, but it is still called Persian in English.
>>
>>66594652
Have you talked with Persian speakers?
>>
>>66594172
I'm trying to improve my basic understanding of French, as of now I can just barely follow along in a normal conversation. Apparently the pronunciation and accents come naturally to me.
>>
>>66594582
Then again I could take advantage of my knowledge of spanish, portugese and italian and try and learn the other romance languages, even if the only one left thatis worth learning is french. Sorry rumania.
>>
>>66594652
>I'll probably be spending 10 months in Pakistan
I don't think that will be a good idea especially if your are white and non-pakistani. Try Lucknow, India instead.

>Is poetry a big part of the culture in India, like Iran?
Yup, it is. Shayaris in Urdu/Hindi, Dohas in Hindi and the holy scriptures like Mahabharata, Geeta and Ramayana are all poetry.
>>
>>66594682
I have, they are called Sindhis here (the Zoroastrians) they have sexy women though
>>
>>66594652
>Your ignorance is showing
I'm Iranian. People in Iran still have to learn Arabic in school. Many people in Afghanistan, Pakistan, etc also know Arabic. Arabic pretty much covers the entire middle east, north africa, and islamic areas of asia.
You're an idiot and I hope you feel like one.
>>
File: 1462827384649.png (36KB, 876x928px) Image search: [Google]
1462827384649.png
36KB, 876x928px
>>66594559
>>66594684
La langue français alias la langue de Molière est une langue que vous DEVRIEZ ABSOLUMENT connaitre.
>>
>>66594682
Yeah heaps. I've been in Iran a couple of times and studied at a university there for a month on a sort of exchange from my own here in Aus.

>>66594717
I've been to Pakistan before as well, and it's fine as a westerner as long you aren't stupid. I'll be living in Islamabad anyway which is the safest part.
That's cool about the poetry, I really like that aspect of Iranian culture because it puts a lot more value on language.
>>
>>66594757
Have you ever been to Iran? Very few people speak Arabic. It's like in my school I learned Indonesian, but can only count to ten and say a few phrases. Arabic is far less useful than English basically anywhere in the world that isn't naturally Arabic speaking, unless you want to spend all your time in madrassas.
>>
>>66594782
Yeah, Iranians are very different from other muslims. They also keep a distance from mainstream islam.
>>
I've been studying Spanish for years, and though I'm nowhere near fluent, I can have semi-deep conversations about almost anything. It's nice, I'm in a state with a lot of Hispanic immigrants so there's always somebody that I can talk to. I've been learning Russian for about 4 months now, partially because I'm going there this summer to play in an orchestra and also because I love the language. Russian is pretty difficult so far, and even though I live in the city with the most Russians in my state, I rarely find people to talk with.
>>
>>66594684
I tried French but the pronunciation completely fucked me over. I just literally can't do it.
>>
>>66594818
Yes I have, and unlike you I've lived there. You're required to read the Holy Qur'an in arabic in school, and anyone with a primary education there knows arabic.
And don't talk like you know Iranians you kuffar scum, because you don't.
>>
>>66594946
You can't pronounce the «r, é, è, u»?
>>
I took French in HS and play videogames in French

I've been learning Dutch, and some Russian.
>>
>>66594950
Righto Khomeini, your zealotry is showing. It's unfortunate people like you exist there because you're a blight on the country. I doubt anything you say though, because there is no way a significant amount of Iranians (outside Khuzestan) can speak anything near fluent Arabic.
>>
File: 1477214200617.jpg (2MB, 4940x3740px) Image search: [Google]
1477214200617.jpg
2MB, 4940x3740px
>>66594172

>he learned Persian

literally the gayest and most effeminate language of the Islamic World 2bh

you'd be better off learning Arabic (way more practical)

if you HAD to learn something Persian/Iranian-related, then you should've learnt Kurdish, Urdu, or Pashto (they all sound less gay and effete)
>>
>>66594975
I don't actually know what specific sounds those are because I just tried to pick it up while in French speaking countries, but probably not. I found it much easier to communicate in Francophone Africa where the accents are less "French" and the sounds are more distinct.
>>
>>66595025
>It's unfortunate people like you exist there because you're a blight on the country.
We're the majority whether you like it or not, and we're here to stay.
The diasporafags like to say otherwise, but unislamic Iranian degenerate whores are a very vocal minority, and only exist in the big cities like Tehran and Esfahan.
If you hate Iran so much then why do you insist on visiting the country? Are you simply obsessed with the women and want yourself an Iranian qt? If so then take a diaspora trash pls and don't try to infest the good Iranians.
>>
>>66594782
There was a paki saying that he strongly advice to not go in Pakistan as a white, do you have ideas about why he said this ? (btw he was a Pashto if i don't mistake)
>>
>>66595134
I have nothing against Iranians who are actually religious, they are generally very hospitable, friendly and welcoming. Fuckheads like you who are automatically hostile to Westerners (why you live in the US is beyond me) are very much a minority, sorry to inform you.

But of course, it is still more fun to hang out with the educated Iranians who regularly drink and get high. Deal with it.
>>
>>66595209
Because its the 4th most unsafe country in the world. Even unsafe than most of the middle east.
>>
>>66594755
>I have, they are called Sindhis here (the Zoroastrians) they have sexy women though
I love womyns from peaceful religions
>>66594684
Frènsh 8.5/10
>>66595014
Gonna rate myself, Russian 10/10
>>66594582
'talian 9/0
Dutch 9.2/10, 10/10 if I could use it outside of /nederdraad/
English 11/10
Spanish and Portuguese 8.3/10

No clue w/Urdu&Hindi
>>
>>66595246
I understand this, but in his advice the problem was to be a white, not the unsafety
>>
>>66595209
Anywhere in Baluchistan or the tribal areas along the Afghan border is a no-go zone for Westerners, for militancy reasons. I've heard rumours that even Karachi is pretty dodgy these days and that kidnappings can happen. I had no problems there though. But areas like Islamabad, Lahore and the beautiful areas in the North are fine. Incidents there are extremely rare.
>>
>>66595304
Whites are cash crops in terrorist markets as killing a whitey sends a strong message and huge currency exchange rate guarantees huge some of money.

Like a ransom of 100,000 usd means 10.5 millions in Pakistani rupees.

Also whites women are fair and sexy (wear short cloths) and are good rapey material

>>66595253
Me too.
>>
>>66595218
>are very much a minority
wrong. you've been listening to diaspora propaganda, or if you've been to Iran have chosen to associate yourself with a very vocal minority.
>who regularly drink and get high
fucking kek. again only among diasporashits or a minority of the youth/even smaller minority of adults in Iran.
>hostile to Westerners
because you fuckheads have been fucking over middle eastern countries for a very long time. stay within your own culture and don't infest ours with your degeneracy.
>>
>>66595420
>wrong. you've been listening to diaspora propaganda, or if you've been to Iran have chosen to associate yourself with a very vocal minority.
I've spent months in Iran and hitchiked all over the country. I don't know why it offends you that your people are happy to see me and will let me sleep in their houses and insist on feeding me, but they do. Especially considering it's a very Islamic thing to do. Usually the more religious they appear, the more they insist on giving me.

>fucking kek. again only among diasporashits or a minority of the youth/even smaller minority of adults in Iran.
Not saying it's a majority, but it is certainly very common. You're going to have to trust me on this because I've drunk and smoked my way around the country from Bojnurd to Rasht to Bandar Abbas.

>because you fuckheads have been fucking over middle eastern countries for a very long time. stay within your own culture and don't infest ours with your degeneracy.
I don't agree with many Western actions in the region. Fortunately, many people are more intelligent than you and manage to separate politics from individuals.
>>
>>66595535
>I've spent months in Iran and hitchiked all over the country.
confirmed for being a bullshitter.
unless you have some crazy connections as in you're a professional journalist or something, it's very rare for the government to let a non citizen into the country, and even if they do, the visa's don't last for more than a few weeks.
>your people are happy to see me and will let me sleep in their houses and insist on feeding me
more bullshitting. I'd say at least 75% of Iranians have a negative view of westerners.
You've been ousted. You should stop embarrassing yourself desu senpai
>>
>>66594757
>Many people in Afghanistan also know Arabic

No they dont. The only people who can speak Arabic are those who've went to Islamic schools in Arab countries or have spent extended amount of time in Arab countries

>>66595078
Iranians are the ones who speak like they're gay.

Afghan Persian is more pure and less modelled after the French accent, also Tajikistan Persian has a slight Russian accent to it
>>
>>66595701
>more bullshitting. I'd say at least 75% of Iranians have a negative view of westerners.
That's true because you fucked their cunt up with all those sanctions
>>
>>66595701
Haahahahaha. Even a basic google will reveal that Australians, and others, can now get month-long tourist visas on arrival. These can be extended for another month very easily.

And no, the majority of Iranians like Westerners and are very happy to see us in their country. They know many Westerners have negative opinions of Iranians and want do dispel those myths. You are impressively ignorant and brainwashed.

Anyway, as stimulating as this is, I must be off. I'll buy you a whisky and coke if I see you in Iran one day.
>>
>>66595767
sure bro, sureeee
>>66595734
this is part of the reason, but it goes all the way back to the UK/US ousting a democratically elected leader because he didn't want to give away Iranian oil to the west so they coup'd him out and installed a western puppet dictator known as the Shah.
>>
>>66594172
Learning biblical hebrew so I can read cool and untranslated texts.
>>
Im learning chinese mandarin. Easier than I expected, pretty fun to study, good for memory.
>>
File: 4L_QOODhqpq.jpg (577KB, 961x1196px) Image search: [Google]
4L_QOODhqpq.jpg
577KB, 961x1196px
Je suis apprends un peu de français avec duolingo, mais est très difficile. Beaucoup roulés, et le app est très basique.

The pronunciation... Oh god what it's wrong with French people?? What's the point of writhing some letters in a world if you're not going to pronounce them?? Kek no but seriously, that's what makes French sounds so good to me, I guess, but yeah, I ain't learning shit with Duolingo that's for sure.
>>
>tfw to intelligent too learn a new language
>>
>>66595078
>Kurdish, Urdu, Pashto
Kill yourself mordagow
>>
>>66597534
Yeah Kurdish is shit-tier and Pashto is more difficult and only spoken in a small area. The Dari dialect of Persian is pretty cool and closer to old Persian.
>>
>>66594172
Mandarin Chinese and Spanish. Hopefully one day I'll learn Portuguese.
>>
>>66597796
Why Mandarin?
>>
>>66597865
The most basic reasons of all time: ancient culture, so much history and a very good career choice. Also I don't think that I could learn 2 Romance languages at the same time. I tried to learn French first but I failed because for some reason. I just gave up with the grammar. Spanish is much easier for me.
>>
>>66597919
Forgot to add but Mandarin has always intrigued me and I want to tackle it. To prove to myself that I can become fluent in Mandarin.
>>
>>66598025
Well good luck, sounds like a nightmare to me with the characters and tones. I've learned some Thai and Burmese in the past which is tonal and it drives me up the wall.
>>
>>66598084
Tones give me nightmares but I kind of like the characters in some masochistic way. There are no conjugations, which I hate, and they're quite beautiful.
>>
learning Korean

mainly because I wanted to learn something considered to be difficult for English speakers to learn
>>
>>66594172
چرا فارسی میخونی
>>
>>66598330
چون به نظر من زبان زیبا است و هم برای شغل های جالب مفید است. از ایران هستین؟
>>
>>66598424
you're confusing z and r
>>
>>66598477
Sure it's not just hard to see the dots in tiny font?
>>
>>66598477
Nevermind im literally blind

Why is the script so fucking small
>>
>>66595723
But our persian is atleast easy to understand and its pretty much wholely associated with the persian poetry which is praised so much. Every afghan who i talked to understands me well while i have no idea what you guys are brabbling about.
>>
I would love to be a polyglot, but for now it's still about learning the nuances and tricks of different languages. Still, one can dream

>Currently

Je connais un peu de français
Parlo un po di italiano

>Next
Spanish
Portuguese
German

>Life goals
Russian
Farsi
Arabic
>>
>>66598424
Yeah, haven't been to Iran in over a decade though and I read like 1 book a year in farsi to remind myself its still a thing.

Your farsi is good. Can you read calligraphy like you posted? I definitely can't.

>>66598513
I find it awkward to read on a computer screen as well.
>>
>>66598581
The main accent of Afghan Persian (Kabuli) is pretty much how your politcians speak like when they give a speech

How don't you understand?
>>
>>66598716
Ehm no? I can understand heratis without problems even tajiks but kabuli is somehow really hard for me. And iranian politicians are mostly from west iran it sounds completely different.
>>
>>66598755
This is the standard accent at a conversational level.

https://youtu.be/weue5GF36bg
>>
File: 1434175530079.jpg (54KB, 240x320px) Image search: [Google]
1434175530079.jpg
54KB, 240x320px
>mfw anglos can't pronounce [y]
>>
>>66598692
Thanks, I'm at the annoying stage where I can read and understand 80% of the words in that kind of calligraphy but not enough to actually fully grasp the sentence.

I'm getting something like:
از صدای سخن عشق ندیدم بیشتر حو یادگاری کرد را این گنبد دوار نماند.

Fuck knows what the last half the sentence means though, even if I wrote it right.
>>
File: kentei_kanji.jpg (366KB, 911x2280px) Image search: [Google]
kentei_kanji.jpg
366KB, 911x2280px
Very slowly learning Japanese. I lose concentration reading Tae Kim, so right now I'm just memorizing the core2k and will fill in the grammar gaps later.

My goal is to be fluent enough to read and translate weeb books by 2020, right in time for the Tokyo Olympics.

A distant goal after that is Mandarin.
>>
>>66594172
I'm Czech so I can pronounce basically anything. Despite this I chose to learn Italian and German. Thanks to my profession I've learned latin and old Greek which helps me with other languages like French, Spanish and of course English.
I know I could learnChinese but that language is just not appealing to me. Japanese is far better in its structure so if I ever choose to learn any eastern ones it will be Japanese or Korean. As far as I like Arabic poems and scripture, I can't stand the sound of them. You know it's bad when German sounds better than Arabic.
>>
Hi, where are my fellow Uyghur-studying Anons?
>>
>>66599482
Semitic languages are neat sounding though.
>>
>>66594172
hebrew
>>
File: 1473773341000.jpg (17KB, 250x245px) Image search: [Google]
1473773341000.jpg
17KB, 250x245px
FUCK OFF IRANIAN DIASPORA SHIT LMAO
>>
난 기무치말을 배우고 있다

아직 탈조센 할 능력이 없는 원어민강사니까

배우면 배울수록 조센문화 참기 힘들어지고 있는데

나중에 유용할꺼야 그지
>>
>>66596358
>What's the point of writhing some letters in a world if you're not going to pronounce them
K-nife
K-night
and so on.
>>
>>66599597
Right, I could learn Hebrew. I like the letters. Thanks for reminding me, anon.
>>
>>66599072
>mfw almost nobody can pronounce hard R and literally nobody Ř
>>
Wanting to learn French and Azeri
>>
How all the fuckton of languages all over the world are still alive is beyond my comprehension. It's current year and we can't even agree on one language.
>>
>>66600030
http://vocaroo.com/i/s0025HueXfu4
>>
>>66599482
How can you just say that so casually? "I've learned old Greek"
That's just amazing to my monolingual mind, you have so much reading material at your fingertips and like you said it's good for picking up further languages
>>
I'll bite. I admit, I was attracted to this thread because of the nastaliq calligraphy in OP's image, since I've been studying Perso-Arabic calligraphy lately, but here.

I'm currently learning my ninth language, which is a constructed language (and it's my first time learning a constructed language). Rather than name them all outright, I'll give you the first letter of each one (besides English, that one should be obvious by now) and we'll make a game out of it.

1. English
2. S …
3. N …
4. D …
5. S …
6. P …
7. G …
8. R …
9. K…
>>
>>66600202
wut
>>
>>66600185
Diversity is important. You can say that more languages you know the more you care about the people you are trying to understand.
Btw I know I've had a Polish-Czech dictionary somewhere but you're closer. ow do you say coffin in Polish? Drzewiak?
>>
>>66600245
Klingon?

Also refer to >>66600238
9 languages literally how the fuck even
>>
>>66600245
Sinhalese, Norwegian (is that even a language?), Dutch, Spanish, Portuguese, Greek, Romanian, Klingon.
>>
>>66600252
>how do you say coffin in Polish?
Trumna.
>>
>>66600202

you monster
>>
>>66600273
Correct, haha. Klingon is a fun challenge. I've started translating some short stories into it, half for practice and half to contribute to the very small body of works that have been translated into Klingon.

>literally how the fuck even
I'm not sure, to be honest. It started when I was homeschooled for a few years and had too much time on my hands. Learning languages became a hobby for me then, and I've tried to keep it up ever since. I can read more languages than I actually speak and I'm a stickler for pronunciation, so I can go to Vietnamese restaurants and surprise the staff by reading the Vietnamese on the menu correctly, haha.

>>66600288
>Sinhalese
No.
>Norwegian
Yes.
>Dutch
No.
>Spanish, Portuguese
Yes, yes.
>Greek, Romanian
No.
>Klingon
Yes.

Updated list:

1. English
2. S …
3. Norwegian
4. D …
5. Spanish
6. Portuguese
7. G …
8. R …
9. Klingon
>>
I WEANNA LEARN MANDARIN FUICK I JUST WANNA LEARN MANDARIN

I VE BEEN WANTING TO LEARN MANADARIN FOR LIKE A YEAR OR MORE NOW WHAT THE FUCK MANEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

>>66600332
AUTISM?
>>
>>66600245
>2. Swedish
>3. Nihongo
>4. Dutch
>5. Swedish again cause you're duble a faggot
>6. Polish
>7. German
>8. aRabic
>9. Klingon
>>
>>66600380
Swedish and German are correct.

1. English
2. Swedish
3. Norwegian
4. D …
5. Spanish
6. Portuguese
7. German
8. R …
9. Klingon
>>
>>66600436
Dakota
Rwandan
>>
>>66600336
>has internet, a.k.a. the access to terabytes of teaching material on mandarin
>I VE BEEN WANTING TO LEARN MANADARIN FOR LIKE A YEAR OR MORE NOW
>still hasn't started
you should forget about it already

>>66600436
Danish (although why the fuck would you, after norwegian)
Russian?
>>
>>66600463
huy sosi dauns
>>
>>66600462
Hahaha, no.
>>66600463
Danish and Russian are both correct.

1. English
2. Swedish
3. Norwegian
4. Danish
5. Spanish
6. Portuguese
7. German
8. Russian
9. Klingon
>>
>>66600238
Well it wasn't that hard. First I had to learn the medical terms and anatomy which are 50-50 latin and greek (High school, Pharmacy technician).
Simultaneously I learned English and because I'm a nitpick I like when I know the ethymology of some words - bam, I've seen this before - maybe the third of all English is based on Latin and Greek.
Later I was bored so I started the uni and I chose history - instant need of latin made me to look into greater depths of it. Plus, I like to read Aristotle in those bilingual Greek-Latin books.

As a native English speaker you can do it fairly easily, just try to stare at some page of latin text and after a few minutes you!ll stat to get the gist of it. Plus, Alphabeta is an enormous help when trying to learn Russian for the Cyrillic is the derivation of it.
>>
>>66600289
Děkuji :)
>>
>>66600555
Nie ma za co. :)
>>
File: 1477259131882.webm (1MB, 800x450px) Image search: [Google]
1477259131882.webm
1MB, 800x450px
>spanish
Learned it because Spanish speakers everywhere. I forgot alot of it.

>korean
Because of muh kpops but really because I actually want to learn a language and if I'm listening to this shit for hours on end, I might as well as get something out of it.
>>
>>66599899
French is ten times worse than English in that regard, honestly.
>>
>>66600518
Holy crow, impressive. Did you choose Norwegian and Swedish because of their similarity? Swedish and Danish would maybe made more sense
>>
>>66600606
Yes. I learned Swedish, and then said "hey, might as well learn the other two!" I actually use Norwegian more today, NRK is my favorite source for news.
>>
Well, we have quite a few talkers in here and I have a question for you. Is there any language you found for whatever reason useless after you've learned it?
>>
Are there any Duolingo contributors in here?
>>
Any good resources on learning dari/afghan persian?
>>
>>66602776
The difference is mainly in pronunciation as far as I'm aware, with some minor differences in vocab. You're best off just using the standard Persian resources to get started and watching Afghan media and talking with Afghans IMHO.
>>
learned both english and french(even though i suck at it tips?) and currently learning spanish(could use help with this too)
>>
>>66602907
I know how to speak it casually but I'm interested in improving on more of the vocab as well as learning how to read it smoothly. Problem is most of the resources are focused on the iranian dialect which sometimes have different words
>>
>>66602974
for all three I can recommend the basic vocabulary of latin. French and Spanish are both Roman languages and English is derived from it so latin will help you with all three of those.
>>
I've always wondered, what does standard persian sound like to someone who doesn't know the language? Guttural like Arabic? Soft like French? Sharp and harsh like German?
>>
>>66603809
Sounds a bit like Turkish, but with different vowels, honestly. I have a cousin who's Persian (he married into my family); when we've gone out for Persian food with him, he speaks to the restaurant staff in Farsi.
>>
>>66603809
An arab mate of mine though it sounded harsh like russian which was really suprising
>>
>>66599563
That sounds fucking nice anon.
Uyghur is very close to turkish isn't it?
>>
>>66604101
>>66604253
Interesting, thanks.
>>
>>66604447
Any time.
Related: nastaliq is really pretty. I've been studying Perso-Arabic styles of calligraphy lately, and now I feel like I should at least use the Arabic alphabet as a code to write English (e.g. "box" = بُكس) so I have an excuse to put it on everything.
>>
>>66595767
I don't know why you even bothered with that fake troll who calls himself Iranian. Almost everything he said is false and I'm happy to see you're informed enough not to be misinformed by that idiot.

I hope you enjoyed your stay in Iran and I'm overjoyed to hear that you enjoy the Persian language so much that you're actively learning it.

Good luck on all your endeavors, and let it be known that you're always welcome to Iran. I would love to grab a drink or smoke with you if I ever meet you in Iran. Cheers dadash.
>>
>>66604616
Yeah it is. It's a shame we don't use it for official documents, the font we use looks terrible in comparison.
>>
>>66604738
What do you guys typically use for that, naskh?
>>
>>66594172
Congrats on getting stuck dealing with shitskins
>>
>>66604747
Yeah.
>>
>>66604754
Mate, languages are a field of understanding and relating with another people.
>tl;dr GTFO
>>
>>66594444
you're stupid, farsi uses arabic syntax
>>
>>66604831
Hi Tajikstan.
>>
>>66595420
Are you dumb? Iranians are slurping up western culture like its chocolate milk they just hate the governments
>>
>>66600332
>9. Klingon

Are you currently claiming your pension?
>>
>tfw Danish doesn't have "rr" or [fr]"rr"
I know a good amount of French, can get by in italian, but if I were to choose the top 3 languages I'd want to learn, it would be Russian, Japanese, and Spanish and I am learning none of those.
>>
>>66607732
I'm 21, so no.
>>
>>66607860
nice name
>>
I have been learning Hebrew for 6 months now, mainly using duolingo and music. I would say I know "basic" Hebrew now, and I'm getting close to being properly conversational.

I can express myself properly in the /isr/ threads but I struggle to translate what they say, especially when it's a big paragraph.
>>
>>66594818
Also, AFAIK, the difference between Arabic "dialects" are just as big as between Slavic languages. Neighbouring countries understand each other, but people from Morocco do not understand Emirates at all for example. Standard Arabic is basically an artificial language that everyone who has attended school will understand, but sounds very unnatural.
>>
Been learning Afrikaans for about three years now.
Not a lot of resources in the states, so I taught myself mostly by listening to music, talking to people online, and reading the bible and a dictionary.
It's just really hard to practice it, especially in spoken form sop I don't think I've made it far despite doing it for three years.
I started out by learning Dutch, and then I discovered Afrikaans and found out that Afrikaner culture and the language just appealed to me more.
I listen to a lot of music in Afrikaans, and that's how I motivate myself to keep trying
>>
>>66600030
My vieme vysloviť tvrdé r, a každý Slovan okrem lužických Srbov tiež. S tým ř ale máš pravdu.
Thread posts: 138
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.