[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Language-Learning Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 89
Thread images: 4

File: icon175x175.jpg (5KB, 175x175px) Image search: [Google]
icon175x175.jpg
5KB, 175x175px
Grab the literal biggest sources for electronic books in your desired language on TPB
https://thepiratebay.org/search/language%20learning%20pack/0/99/0

Thanks to the Dutch team. Be careful of ISP warnings, Westerners!

What is the ultimate 2nd or 3rd language that every human must acquire, /int/?
>>
>>66472360
>What is the ultimate 2nd or 3rd language that every human must acquire, /int/?

Just English to be quite honest. Everything else comes down to personal preference or career choices.
>>
>>66472413
Which language would you recommend for someone with English already under his belt (ironically I learned Arabic after Eng, so I am a native speaker)?

Mandarin seems the obvious choice but seems extremely daunting, while spanish is entertaining and simple
>>
>>66472451
Mandarin is a meme choice imo. No matter how successful they may become, Chinese people aren't going to make anyone learn Mandarin, they will just end up using some European language or interpreters for international business (if you want to be an interpreter, then I guess it's a decent choice), and otherwise everyone else in the world will continue as normal.

Spanish is sensible, more countries use it, its increasingly influental even in the US, and it will give you an even firmer grip on European languages, which are used throughout the whole world, and it will give you the ability to read anything written in a Romance language quite easily with a dictionary on hand.

If you want my really personal opinion, then I say learn Esperanto.
>>
>>66472540
Thank you for your much appreciated input, anon
>>
>>66472551
de nada
>>
진짜 말하고 싶어요
>>
>>66472551
Don't bother with Esperanto. It's a failed attempt at making a world language.
>>
>>66472540
>calls mandarin a meme
>calls esperanto a non-meme

learning mandarin is for cucks, so they can speak with asias who don't speak english

learning spanish is more even greater cucks who already accepted the sad truth of murrica
>>
>>66472952
누구랑 말할래?

>>66473027
It's still fun to learn.
>>
File: 1476395029892.png (284KB, 495x337px) Image search: [Google]
1476395029892.png
284KB, 495x337px
>>66472540
>Esperanto.
>>
>>66473072
fuck, I'm drunk and can't write proper sentences
>>
>>66473072
>calls esperanto a non-meme

I gave OP my real answer and then said my own choice, because by that point I had no serious input left to give

>say Esperanto even jokingly
>everyone gets triggered

stop this
>>
gonna learn german to pound some aryan pussy
>>
>>66472413
The easiest one. For ex. I learned german after english simply because my dad used to speak it when home and he teach me a little bit.
If not, one really close to one of your 2 languages like dutch or french.
>>
>>66472540
Interpreter here, if you want to make some good money you should learn some language nobody cares about like lithuanian
>>
>>66473137
Esperanto is meaningless because there is no real culture behind it and the only "native" speakers are a dozen autists.
>>
>>66473214
french is far from close.
>>
>>66473269
Not gonna spend much effort defending Esperanto ITT, honestly. If you like that kind of thing you'll learn it and most likely enjoy yourself, if you become fluent then you may find yourself a job using it, and if you're not into learning it then you will just constantly give me (You)s every time I post about it, I guess. Either way is fine. The native speakers are more in the thousands, though.

To me it's proof that even the most 'useless' language can be useful/profitable/rewarding if you know what to do with it, hence my first post in this thread about it all coming down to preference. >>66473215 makes a good point.
>>
>>66473365
tbf you're right, not to mention that the esperanto community is very welcoming and friendly, a friend of mine knows it and esperanto speakers love having other esperanto speakers around, so wherever he moves he has a free place to stay for a while
>>
So what language is everyone studying?

And if you are studying a language then why the fuck are you on /int/? Go study right now
>>
>>66472360
>torrents
No thanks, I can literally get jailed for that, and I'm too Jewish to shell out money for a VPN
>>
File: flago.png (24KB, 2000x1333px) Image search: [Google]
flago.png
24KB, 2000x1333px
http://naunobike.tumblr.com/
>>
>>66474970
Kio estas tio?
>>
Learn chinese to discovdr al the sneaky secrets of those bloodthirsty yelow barbarians!
>>
>tfw dumb
>tfw lazy
>tfw can't into time management
>can't study anything outside of schoolwork
>>
>>66472360
how fucked am I if I learn classical Arabic when it comes to understanding local dialects?

Studying it because I want to get a certain number of critical regional languages under my belt (already speak Spanish fluently as well, will take French after Arabic), but my uni only offers Classical Arabic. Is it a good stepping stone for understanding local dialects or should I have studied a local dialect from the getgo?
>>
I am at a B1-B2 level in Italian. I chose it because it's much more understandable than French, which just sounds like gibberish to me
>>
>>66472540
Ni estas ĉie
>>
>>66475774
Italian is great. Thanks to the normans buttfucking england it's been super easy to learn even though I only speak english. Love the way it sounds too.
>>
>>66472540
>Mandarin? No need for that little meme language my guy
>Learn esperanto!
Hoping you just tagged your post with that as a second thought in order to troll people
>>
>>66472360
My goal is English-Spanish-German-Mandarin
>>
>>66476080
Practical. Probably ideal for a resume.
>>
>>66472360

gonna learn French and spanish.
No regrets.
>>
>>66476080
>English-Spanish-German-Mandarin
A-are you me?
>>
>>66476564
Great! And I guess you already speak Polish
>>
I already speak 4 languages. I'm shooting for 5 in 2 years.
>>
>>66473214
>If not, one really close to one of your 2 languages like dutch or french

Yet American's still fuck it up.

I've never seen an American (Anglo for that matter), fully learn the language

>>66473339
French is lexically very close to English.

When learning French, I found that the majority of words I learned had English cognates, so it helped that I already knew English.

I would even go as far as to say that there are more french-english cognates than french-dutch ones
>>
I have english, spanish, russian
After finishing russian I'll go for German or Japanese
>>
>>66476724
what is your nationality?
>>
if I'm ever not-lazy and decide to master French one day, I'd also like to learn Portuguese and Italian.
>inb4 hurr durr easy romance languages
>>
>>66476704
I see. Based on your personal experience, it must not be one of the closest languages to english even though that's what many professional linguists say. Thanks for clearing that up.
>>
my goal is italian and russian
how should i organize?
should i learn one language at the time or both at once?
>>
I want to learn Arabic, Russian, and/or Farsi.

Pity me.
>>
>>66476784
one at the time, preferably in the country of the target language
>>
>>66475830
ja vere frat'

tamen la pugdoloro ĉi tie inter la krokodiloj senĉesas

mi ne povas toleri ĝin dum longe
>>
>>66476756
Colombian
>>
how do you jump from a2 to b1?
i can understand german, even half-complex sentences with the help of a dictionary, but i can't actively use the langauge myself.
duolingo, memrise etc teach you only so much. what is the next step?
>>
>>66476831
Farsi is ****similar**** to Arabic in that there is some overlap. Im taking Arabic in uni, it's hard but immensely satisfying.

Take one language at a time m8. Maybe focus on Arabic, then Farsi and finally Rus
>>
>>66476923

come here and live among your people, Mehmet.

>>66476932
Yeah, I'll probably be taking Arabic in two semesters - the professors advise against taking additional courses for the first year, as it's a 3 year program and they've front-loaded most of the difficult classes.
>>
>>66476784
I don't know how close croatian is to russian but so far i think romance languagues help you a lot with russian, so you should do italian first and when you get to a intermediate level you can work on both at the same time
>>
>>66476956
"no"
>>66476932
farsi and arabic are nothing like eachother, they just share some words they loaned from eachother and from another common language like french/turkish etc
>>
Learning French. Thinking about picking up Russian in the future. Is it worth it? Y/N
>>
>>66477011
interesting.

I always had (an ignorant) idea that because of the similarities in the pronunciation and alphabet that there was some similarities.
>>
>>66477028
no
>>
>>66476956
it's insanely gratifying when I read some signs on say an Egyptian Scud or on /k/'s middle east generals. Though it's frustrating trying to read newspaper Arabic while learning classical Arabic.

That and because I don't know certain words, I have to rely on the nouns being written (which I've rarely seen in newspaper Arabic) in the words
>>
>>66477104
>I have to rely on the nouns being written (which I've rarely seen in newspaper Arabic) in the words

I'm gonna assume you meant to say vowels, otherwise this language sounds like wizardry
>>
>>66477011

Jokes aside, that's going to be the best way to get better at German - simply using it.

>>66477104
Yeah, my father's from Egypt actually, and he just never got around to teaching me the language. What do you mean with "rely on the nouns being written," though?
>>
>>66477140
fugggg

yes, meant vowels. >>66477152 ignore my retardation. I hardly had any sleep last night, had early shift at work today and now postponing sleep till 2am because of reasons.

Semitic languages are weird, but not that weird.
>>
I am white
>>
>>66477099
Why not?
>>
>>66477152
>my father's from Egypt actually
something about memes writing themselves
die in a hole
>>
Would anyone be interested in making a Skype/Discord /lang/ group? We could share tips on learning languages and practise together
>>
>>66477264

Last time I joined one of these things it was immediately overrun with stormfags who posted /pol/ memes instead of language learning.

>>66477238
We've decided to take a page out of your book and colonize a land that doesn't belong to us, shh now before you blow our cover
>>
>>66477152
eh sure, but i seriously don't want to go to germany and i don't see how i could anyway.
is there some kind of place where you can find people who are trying to learn the same language?
>>
>>66477293
Well on Discord you can make seperate channels, one could contain the /pol/ shitposting
>>
>>66477264
I would probably join that. I tried to go on some /int/ discord thing and quickly left though because i couldnt stand the faggots who were chatting there, probably because i'm getting old, but i do love /lang/ stuff so maybe it will be fun
>>
Is learning Hungarian/Polish a waste of time?
>>
>>66477364
>Korea flag
>wants to learn hungarian

i'm...i'm studying korean and i wanna study hungarian

I guess I am just telling you hi. and also go for it.
>>
>>66477364
if you are going to enjoy it, no. if not, yes.
i started learning hungarian because i love the language, but other than reading hungarian poems i don't really see any use of it
>>
https://discord.gg/xNXwHT9
Here you go, currently featuring 3 channels, one for /lang/ discussion, one to contain /pol/ and another one for everything else
Users will get assigned roles that show their native languages
>>
File: 1477213929221.png (833KB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
1477213929221.png
833KB, 1366x768px
I want to learn all Slavic languages
>>
>>66477225
Because he said it just because
>>
>>66477225

Because he's a bitch ass nog.
>>
>>66477397
he's not Korean
>>
Trying to learn Russian, anyone got any tips/resources for me?
>>
>>66478344
У тeбя ecть пpeкpacный шaнc пoгoвopить co мнoй
>>
>>66478394
Я дoлжeн дoбpaтьcя дo тoчки, гдe я дeйcтвитeльнo мoгy пpoвecти бeceдy.
>>
>>66478476
A кaкoй y тeбя пpимepнo ypoвeнь?
Tы пoнимaeшь, чтo я пишy бeз пepeвoдчикa?
>>
>>66477582
>tfw learned Serbian, Croatian, Chernogorian, Bosnian, Herzegovinian, Belgradian, Zagrebian, Vojevodian, Dalmatian, Slavonian, Kosovian, Hercegnovian, Podgorician and the absolutely separated language of that small beach in Croatia
whew, so tired
>>
>>66478524
Я eщe нa caмoм бaзoвoм ypoвнe. Я знaю aлфaвит и пpoизнoшeниe в пopядкe (зa иcключeниeм пpoкaтки p). Oднaкo, я нe знaю, кaк в cтpyктype пpeдлoжeния или ecть pядoм пpиличный cлoвapный зaпac.

И нeт, я нe мoгy пoнять, чтo вы гoвopитe бeз пepeвoдчикa. Я мoгy пoнять элeмeнтapных cлoв в пpeдлoжeнии, или, ecли их пpoизнoшeниe пoхoжee нa aнглийcкoe paбoтaть, нo этo вce.

Я нaчaлa yчить, нo пoтepял мoтивaцию, кoгдa мoя ceмья cтaли пидapacaми, пoтoмy чтo я хoтeл изyчaть pyccкий язык. Я пpeдпoлaгaю, чтo oни дyмaли, чтo этo былo cтpaннo и yгpoжaли им, нeзaвиcимo oт пpичины этo зacтaвилo мeня пoтepять мoтивaцию и в кoнeчнoм итoгe oткaзaтьcя.
>>
>>66476080
Mine is just French and Portuguese
>>
>>66478344
Пoпpoбyй этo http://learnrussian.rt.com/
Или duolingo
>>
Norwegian is a fun language to learn. It's very similar to English. Probably more so than any other major language that I can think of, even taking into account the other Western Germanic languages.
>>
>>66478585
Nice senpai when you gonna learn sorbian?
>>
you should learn french, it's used across the world and it's not so difficult
>>
bump for usefulness
>>
I've been learning Spanish for about a year and a half and am probably at an A2 going on B1 level but I still find it difficult to understand speakers. Anyone got any tips?
>>
>>66474970
Mojosa retpaĝo, amiko. Kiu lingvo estas tio?

>>66476911
>mi ne povas toleri ĝin dum longe
Bedaŭrinde ni devos.
Thread posts: 89
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.