[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Australian Defense Force

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2

Are there any Australians on here who are or were in the Australian Air Force? If so, were you or did you attempt to get a career as a pilot?

I'm 19 years old, and interested in joining the Air Force and hopefully becoming a fighter jet pilot. I didn't do terribly well at school though, so I don't know if high grades are needed for such a career. And does owning a pair of prescription glasses kill my chances of being a pilot? I can see just fine without them, and only need them to read really small text from far away.

Also, Australian Military/Navy/Air Force thread I guess.
>>
Who /reservist/ here?
Extra neetbux never a bad thing.
>>
>>66320590
What do you do in the Reserves? I don't think I understand what it involves.
>>
>>66320642
Once you're through basic you have to do at least a few things every year (which vary depending on where you're assigned), and if we got in a proper war you'd potentially be put on active duty.
>>
>>66320734
Interesting.

Is this for infantry-type roles only?
>>
>>66320805
Nope, there are reserves for everything. Most common are infantry, signals, artillery, but there's other stuff too, including non-combat positions. You can also become an officer if you pass selection. There's lots of information on the ADF website (and it's probably more accurate and detailed than what I can tell you off the top of my head).
>>
File: AF-Roundel.jpg (25KB, 201x200px) Image search: [Google]
AF-Roundel.jpg
25KB, 201x200px
>>66320425
A fucking kangaroo.
>>
>>66320919
Thanks for the help.

I'll have to ask the local ADF centre about some stuff, as the difference between the entry method for Pilot as an Officer and joining the ADFA confuses me.
>>
> tfw RCB next year attached to 1bde

>>66320425
> prescription glasses
> not high grades
sorry mate but your chances are poor. you need to be a switched unit if you want to have even a decent crack at it. even then, if you pass everything, pass basic, pass iets, and get your ecn/rate confirmed, you STILL have a 50/50 of ever being a jet pilot

my understanding is they basically pick the som and the next 2 best blokes to be jet pilots (depending on current manning, may be more or less) and then the rest become pilots for like chinooks etc. and you work as "1800-AIR-TAXI what's your pickup address please?" instead of Goose and Maverick dogfighting with ruskis
>>
>>66321122
Well shit.

I'm also interested in the Air Surveillance Operator/Intelligence Officer career. Do you think it'd be a better idea to just go with that?

And also, is everyone who gets through the military training and education guaranteed a job upon graduation?
>>
>>66321267
Dunno anything about those jobs desu. My highest recommendation is whatever you do, take a position with a 1 year ROSO, unless you are absolutely 100% sure you want to do it as a career spanning minimum 8 years (if you go officer you will essentially be locked into that period of time)

everything else is up to you mate, go into dfr and speak to recruitment, and remember to take everything they say with a grain of salt, because they will do anything to get you into a shitty job position they want to fill cause of manning reasons.

yes if you enlist and pass your training you are guaranteed a job, providing its not a split ecn/rate, like pilot or armoured etc.
>>
>>66321372
Thanks for the help.

I've got another question, I think you might be able to help me with this one. What exactly is the difference between joining as an Officer, and joining the ADFA?

It says that I can get into the Piloting career both as an Officer, and by joining the ADFA. Yet the Officer educational requirements are just a Y12 pass, whereas to get into the ADFA I'll need a high ATAR which I don't have. So what gives? Can I seriously get accepted into whatever it is that trains me to potentially possibly become a Pilot with just a Y12 pass? Assuming I pass the medical and physical examinations.
>>
DefCon: Emu
>>
>>66321518
>emu
>flightless birds
Describes OP perfectly
>>
>>66321486
Both are officer. ADFA is university for 3-5 years prior to doing your job, instead of 18 months at rmc
>>
>>66321588
Oh, I see. Thanks.
>>
OP if you go to duntroon I'll shout you a beer

that is after I rape you, because the hazing scene here is beyond fucking insane
>>
>>66321686
I look forward to that beer, right after getting my ass pounded of course.
>>
>>66321686
>>66321772
Slammin that boipuccy
>>
>>66321122
I'd like to shoot down some commie bastards out of the sky. Where do I sign up?
>>
Close enough

https://youtu.be/B-Rg5N_t4aM
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.