[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Interested in another language

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 6

File: 1-rustic-cabin-in-the-woods.jpg (215KB, 1024x739px) Image search: [Google]
1-rustic-cabin-in-the-woods.jpg
215KB, 1024x739px
I'm Interested in learning these languages:
German
Swedish
Norwegian
Latin
I'm thinking of starting with german then expanding a little bit on some of the nordic languages.
>>
learning another language is cuck
>>
You should play video games instead
>>
>>66307812
>>66307807
Vete, huehue. >:(
>>
You should watch anime instead
>>
>>66307788
go for it, all of those are fairly easy, though I dunno about latin as I don't speak it

german was hardest for me though
>>
>>66307866
You're Finish so you have an extremely expansive knowledge on nordic languages by default. Do you speak German fluently?
>>
>>66307929
>implying Finnish has anything to do with other nordic languages
>implying the average Finn speaks more than 10 words of Swedish
>>
>>66307788
>Latin
Pleb. Ancient Greek is the patrician choice of near useless dead languages.

Also, why bother with two Scandi languages? Maybe if you're a nordaboo I guess.
>>
>>66307866
It's hard in the sense that you have no practical applications, so unless you're really into historical text (of which there are quite a few, admittedly): don't bother.
t. studied Latin in school for seven years and could hardly put together a sentence nowadays
>>
File: 979839087814391914.jpg (2MB, 3840x1396px) Image search: [Google]
979839087814391914.jpg
2MB, 3840x1396px
>>66307929
>You're Finish so you have an extremely expansive knowledge on nordic languages by default
>>
>>66308015
>>66307968
What? They have NO similarities what so ever?
>>
>>66308037
There are a few words that are similar (for example, I remember kisse meaning cat in both Finnish and Swedish) but other than that their grammar, sentence structure, and words are totally different.
They are about as similar as Japanese and Chinese.
>>
>>66307929
finnish is as similar to swedish as chinese is to english

But I'm a fennoswede

Yes I speak german pretty well, though with a fairly finnish accent
>>
>>66308073
It's actually kissa though of course that means something else in swedish :^)
>>
>>66307999
Why do people say German is so hard? Do you structure the way sentences work in just multiple intricate ways or are the words hard to say?
>>
File: 1475152280648.jpg (127KB, 382x347px) Image search: [Google]
1475152280648.jpg
127KB, 382x347px
>>66308184
Close enough.
>>
>>66308209
Noun cases, unpredictable genders, and the weird word order of subordinate clauses.
>>
>>66308209
I don't really think it's that hard. Especially english speakers should have it easy because the sentence structure is similar. The only problem you might have issues with is knowing the right articles of words (der,die,das instead of the) and the pronounciation of the german 'r'.
>>
>>66308209
They have fucked up das der die system. Also like 5 different S sounds.
>>
>>66308037
lurk more you dumb newfag

or just fucking google it, it's not hard
>>
>>66308316
ßetz rude
>>
>>66308365
I'm here to learn from actual people on a anonymous Mongolian Archery forum. Don't bully me.
>>
>>66308316
yeah but the pronounciation is still regular though

you can always know how to pronounce a given word if you know the rules, it's just that the rules are slightly more complicated than, say, Spanish or Finnish.
>>
>>66307788
German is the only one which is worthwhile from your list.

Japanese is the master language though.
I assume you're too stupid to try it out though.
>>
Almost everyone here know English, so there's literally no point in learning Swedish unless you're specifically interested in it or are moving here. The same is true for Norwegian.
>>
>>66308507
There's something so embarrassing about seeing non asians learning japanese
>>
>>66308316
Finnish has 14 cases I think?
German only has 4 from what I remember

Dative, Accusative, Genitive, and nominative.
>>
>>66308616
?
>>
>>66308648
I don't think it's just me but I could be wrong
>>
>>66308605
I know, but it's interesting.
German seems like a good place to start.
>>
>>66308675
Not my fault people like you are too dumb to learn it so they try to rationalize it as ''embarrassing''.

That's the only explanation I can see, since I've received nothing but compliments from people who end up knowing I'm learning Japanese.
>>
>>66308805
I associate it with weeb stuff and all the neckbeard stereotypes that go with it
>>
>>66308805
Nigger it's like the least spoken language ever that has short compound words for 18+ associated phrases which are supposed to be spoken in intervals but at the same time. It's hard to the point where it's dumb. Like playing Megaman.
>>
>>66308209
German is easier than english in at least some ways
>>
>>66308866
>I associate it with weeb stuff

so just a stupid prejudice of yours as I said.
Glad to know you're stupid.

>>66308911
Again, not my fault you're afraid of the challenge.

I'm not learning it because of the supposed ''limited use'' you think it has.

I'm learning it because

1- I actually enjoy Japanese literature which I started learning about with Karuta

2- I have many friends in Japan

3- I may end up doing business there
>>
>>66309373
It's a generilization based on stereotypes

I can't think of anyone who wants to learn japanese and isn't a weeb, it's really common in finland actually, to be a weeb and learning japanese
>>
>>66308209
I don't think you're actually all that qualified to evaluate that as a native speaker of any language (with perhaps the exception of those reinforcing it with a college degree), since much of the process of learning will have been subconscious and/or forgotten.
There are quite a few intricacies but the framework shouldn't be overly hard to grasp.
>>66308296
Sounds reasonable. I'd add capitalization (super easy in English but kind of a tricky thing here) and punctuation (which has been simplified in recent years but still remains significantly more strict than in English). Maybe compound words as well, but that concept should really just be confusing to the beginner.
In fact I wouldn't trust most Germans to be able to write a flawless text of non-trivial length regarding all of that, meaning that spoken language tends to be way easier. Take, for example, the greatly simplified temporal/conditional forms in common usage.
So while you have a good amount of leeway here (concerning sentence structure as well), unfortunately getting the illogical genders wrong will still sound like ass; whereas it won't even diffuse the meaning except in rare cases where there are two initially identical words of different genders.
Noun cases to a lesser degree: e.g. genitive has been completely replaced by dative by some of the more coarse people, to name the most extreme instance.
>>66308507
>tfw you only have a Jap keyboard on your phone
too much of a hassle to reply that way, consequently
but yeah, liking it a lot so far. rewires my brain to learn this kind of "topic language"
though I can't actually help concealing it in public at least a little, although I realize normies are more likely to be casually impressed than anything
fucking memes, man
>>66309541
>only watch anime once or twice a week
>don't want to move to Japan
>honest interest in language, the associated though patterns and deep-seated cultural workings
ok, probably still a weeb. such is life.
>>
>>66309726
I explained where my prejudice comes from

Now to explain even further

In finland, there really no reason to learn japanese at all, so of course most that do are the really weeb like people

And I imagine that it's so in all western countries
>>
>>66307788
You should learn Swedish and here why
No grammatical cases
Would able to understand to Norwegian
>>
>>66308037
Finnish isn't an Indo-European language
>>
>>66309802
no no, I got you perfectly well
just a cheeky aside on my part
yeah, it's the same here (but not common I think). just went for it since I see no reason to learn anything else for practicality at this point. it might as well have been Spanish but I think I have a sufficient understanding of QUE PICARDIA already. also they're too dumb for English so you get to unlock a lot of content.
>>
>>66309726
>although I realize normies are more likely to be casually impressed than anything

they are.
Don't believe stupid int maymays.
Thread posts: 43
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.