[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Portugal is the best colonizer

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 8

File: IndiaBR.png (54KB, 300x356px) Image search: [Google]
IndiaBR.png
54KB, 300x356px
>Lusotropicalism or Luso-tropicalism was first used by Brazilian sociologist Gilberto Freyre[1] to describe the distinctive character of Portuguese imperialism overseas,[1] proposing that the Portuguese were better colonizers than other European nations.[2]

>It was believed that because of Portugal's warmer climate, and having been inhabited by Celts, Romans, Visigoths, Moors and several other peoples in pre-modern times, the Portuguese were more humane, friendly, and adaptable to other climates and cultures.[2]

>In addition, by the early 20th century, Portugal was by far the European colonial power with the oldest territorial presence overseas; in some cases its territories had been continuously settled and ruled by the Portuguese throughout five centuries. Lusotropicalism celebrated both actual and mythological elements of racial democracy and civilizing mission in the Portuguese Empire, encompassing a pro-miscegenation attitude toward the colonies/overseas territories. The ideology is best exemplified in the work of Freyre
>>
why dont you do like Portugal and integrate immigrants like they did?
>>
i wanna fug a mixed canadian girl that feels like she has no heritage
>>
>>66266177
I need more pictures of Brazil-chan. I've been looking all day but I can't find any.
>>
>>66266239
no nipples are harem brazil is crashing this plan-thread
>>
>>66266239
Search for Kuruminha
>>
File: tumblr_mqia6n8hgB1qf1xcgo1_500.png (117KB, 500x636px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mqia6n8hgB1qf1xcgo1_500.png
117KB, 500x636px
>>66266239
her name is kuruminha
>>
>>66266286
>>66266290
Thanks
>>
>>66266177
>Freyre
From someone who actually needs to read the pseudoscience of this sociologist: he was as full of shit as Olavo de Carvalho, but in the opposite political position.

>the Portuguese were more humane, friendly, and adaptable to other climates and cultures
Yeah... nah. It depended more on the locals than the metropolis.

>Visigoths
Suevi. Freyre didn't do the research.

>Lusotropicalism celebrated both actual and mythological elements of racial democracy
Remember: mboitatá and saci are just "folklore", but crucified vulture food is "srs bisniz relijun".
>>
>>66266413
autism
>>
>>66266195

Finally, a non-autistic post about us.
Although, in his books, Freyre never used the term "racial democracy"; this is just a scarecrow created by our left.
>>
try compared to Anglo countries instead dude
>>
>>66266453
Calling out Freyre's bullshit isn't autism. Is it?
/me begins to swing forward frenetically and spin some object, mumbling repetitive words
>>
Fuck this is autistic
>>
>>66266464
Like India and Jamaica?
>>
File: 1475444013295-0.png (67KB, 397x376px) Image search: [Google]
1475444013295-0.png
67KB, 397x376px
>>66266489
m8 why are so triggered, just chill and post kuruminhas
>>
>>66266461

I meant to >>66266177
>>
>>66266540
Yeah... nah. Don't worry, not triggered. I think you missed the self-depreciative joke there.
>>
>>66266413

Freyere
>full of shit
Kek

Cleary, you didn't read his books.

This guy understood Brazil.
His books is all about we are.
>>
>>Portugal is the best colonizer

They literally did nothing in Macau,even the Portuguese egg tarts shops are owned by British.
>>
>>66266681
they started colonizing here for real after the 1700s 2bh
>>
>>66266527
India turned out pretty good besides the poo in the loo meme.
>>
>>66266681

At that time they were.
Best sea experience, more cosmopolitan spirit, etc.
It was better to be colonised by then, than the Anglos.
>>
>>66266659
>Cleary, you didn't read his books.
I wish I didn't.
The guy simply shat over the Boas' cool but ultimately unfruitful concept of cultural evolution being Darwinian, he muddled into post-modernism where "errything is relative", and I really think his tribal myths influenced his vision of the things a bit too much, to the point he became his own object and begun to pull shit out of his arse.
>>
>>66266659
he is Southern Separatist of Curitiba, he is autistic as hell
>>
>>66266770

>Autistic

As I've siad; never read a book about it.
>>
>>66266823
Man, I even joked with the autism part...

Regardless. I'd rather discuss stuff objectively than all this "herp derp he describd blobziu ziu ziu setchi a zeru!". If this is assburger for ya, so be it.
>>
>>66266850
>As I've siad; [he] never read a book about it.
>whoever doesn't believe in Jebus never read the Bible! Or he read it wrong!

Again: I wish I didn't read that Casa Grande e Senzala crap, but yeah, I did.
>>
>>66266800

Oh Lawd. Now you confirmed; "everything is relative", you didn't read it at all.
Portuguese were the conquerors, and in the lack of white women plus their cosmopolitan spirit; they started breeding with natives and slaves. In order to guarantee a large portion of land.
Based on this fact, he just explains how the the African and Native cultures influenced their behaviours until what we are now.
There is no such thing described by you.
>>
>>66266996
Taking it out of the context?

>ele chafurdou em pós-modernismo, onde "tudo é relativo".

Post-modernism thinks everything is relative. He muddled/chafurdou in it. I didn't claim the "everything's relative" thing was from him. Did you get now?

And it isn't about the Amerindians or the Africans... it's about his fucking view on what he did. The guy thought all "recortes" [something SIMILAR to scientific scope] were equally as valid, and by that he invalidates himself.
>>
>>66266177
Didn't Portugal scare the Japanese into cutting ties with the outside world for a couple of centuries?
>>
*this thread has been closed- Reason Autism*
>>
>>66266996
>Portuguese were the conquerors,
As Castilians, Frenchmen and Englishmen were, under the very same conditions...

>and in the lack of white women
Something that applies to pretty much any colony, not only the Portuguese...

>plus their cosmopolitan spirit
>spirit
That's vague as fuck, it's a way to bark something without actually stating anything.
At most "cosmopolitan spirit" in this case can be interpreted as "cosmopolitan view of the world"; still ambiguous, but on a loose way, applicable to every other colonizer.

Do you get it? The guy is trying to describe some differences on the Portuguese colonization, but those aren't differences at all, since Portugal was in the same historical mindset as the other metropolises, and thus the colonization process was similar or different depending on the local conditions, _not_ the metropolis! By that, one cannot even give the central point of Casa Grande e Senzala (being against environmental determinism) credit!

More to come.
>>
>>66267158

That is the point; he didn't.
And yes, it is about whites, blacks and amerindians; about their relationship among each other. On how each one contributed to the formation of the Brazilian character.
It is not his fucking view; it is a historical fact, based on a huge amount of compilation and research.
I don't know where you are pulling this of, it makes no sense.
>>
File: Kek.jpg (28KB, 486x309px) Image search: [Google]
Kek.jpg
28KB, 486x309px
>Portugal is the best colonizer
>>
>>66266996
Casa Grande e Senzala is, in a nutshell: "disregard the climatic conditions, disregard race, focus on the colonizing metropolis". Then Freyre proceed trying to "encontrar pêlo em ovo" (find minimal irrelevant differences) between Portugal and other colonizers to justify his point of view.

He begun with the hypothesis and chose the data to justify it. That's why I said he thinks the "recortes" are equally as valid, because he wasn't doing science but just... philosophy-like conjectures.
>>
File: white.jpg (11KB, 600x417px) Image search: [Google]
white.jpg
11KB, 600x417px
>>66266770
>>
>>66267329
>it is a historical fact, based on a huge amount of compilation and research.
See >>66267382; it's all about the method.

If you pull out enough data, you can "prove" any hypothesis you want by discarding some by saying, "ah, this is not relevant" (in other words, "this would prove me wrong"). He wasn't fucking able to tell the difference in the colonization process between the four first Portuguese settlements! "Why?"
>>
>>66267319
American colonization was different.Family of irish and british colonized the usa.In Brazil,the navigators/sailors would come to brazil and rape/fuck.natives and niggers and when they were done with it they would get back to their families in portugal.There was no marriages.Only cum dumpsters....
Of course that changed during the 1900s when portuguese families emigrated to brasil and etc.
I'd fuck a native if I knew my wife wouldn't fins out about it
>>
>>66266681
Portuguese people only really settled in brazil, since it was the only place without significant native population (most indians died with european diseases). All the other colonies were trade posts (some, like angola, eventually evolved into true colonies, but the type of colonization was completely different).
>>
>still no brazilian bf
wew lads
>>
>>66267319

>As Castilians, Frenchmen and Englishmen were, under the very same conditions...
Just a fact, but not so obvious to our left.

>Something that applies to pretty much any colony, not only the Portuguese...
Yeah... but you know the diference? Portugueses reproduced with salves and Amerindians, which influenced them. Quite the opposite from other colonies.

>That's vague as fuck, it's a way to bark something without actually stating anything.
At most "cosmopolitan spirit" in this case can be interpreted as "cosmopolitan view of the world"; still ambiguous, but on a loose way, applicable to every other colonizer.
Holy shit! I meant sex with slaves and Amerindians, and the offspring; us, the half-breed. Portugueses, because they were and are something between the the white and north-African, and because they were conquered by the muslim; an offspring of people of din'd have problem in breeding with other races emerged. That is their cosmopolitan spirit.
>>
>>66267319

>Do you get it? The guy is trying to describe some differences on the Portuguese colonization, but those aren't differences at all, since Portugal was in the same historical mindset as the other metropolises, and thus the colonization process was similar or different depending on the local conditions, _not_ the metropolis! By that, one cannot even give the central point of Casa Grande e Senzala (being against environmental determinism) credit!
Holy shit! You didn't read his book at all.
Portugal colonization was completed different from the other colonies, and their historical background was complete different. Take USA as an example; how can you say they "were the same".
As I've explained above, Portugal was conquered by Muslim, and breed with them. This make them more prone to have children with any other race.
As a result of that, we were and we are not so divided by race; as it happened with USA or Australia.
It is an absurd saying something like.
And the comes the point of Casa Grande & Senzala; the coalition of many cultures, one influencing each other.
>>
>>66266177
French canadians were the same until we got BTFO. That's just the old Latin way of dealing with other cultures.
>>
>>66267676

Not with those words, but this.
Tugas, created a complete different colonies.
And rather you than the Anglos or French.
>>
>>66267823

And sorry the bad English, I'm sleepy and typing from my cellphone.
>>
>>66267676
The Brits didn't bring whole families to the New World because they were the Brits; they did it because it was the best way to colonize woods, as opposed to the Atlantic forest, where you need to literally chop and burn your path inside. If Portugal colonized New England, you can be quite sure they would send Algarvian families instead, while the Brits would be sending bandeirante-like hobos to deal with the deep forest.

Also. Even with the same colonizers, the American colonization was not the same through the 13 Colonies at all. See for example the colonization differences between New England and the Dixieland*. And the same happened with the Portuguese colonization of South America.

Recife was not the same as Salvador, neither was similar to Rio de Janeiro and all three were different from São Vicente. And yet Freyre basically "nah... things happened like this in Recife, let's generalize them to the rest." [Guess where he was from.]

Mind you I am NOT claiming the metropolis played no role at all**; however, I am claiming this role is far minor when compared with other variables Freyre discards even before gathering the data.

*I'm calling the American South that way to avoid confusion.

**For example, I'm aware religion played a huge role in colonization, with Protestants and Catholics using different systems.
>>
>>66266745
>
>>
>>66267823
For future reference.Neither spain and portugal were conquered by muslims.The visigoths were.
Anyway,like I said.The type of colonization portugal/spain and anglo sid weren't different.
The anglos only atarted to colonize in the 1700s and they would bring their families.The spaniards didnt really like to colonize for some fucking reason.The portuguese method of colonization from 1500-1780s was to rape natives and fuck slaves and then fuck off back to portugal.It has nothing to do with the people having different ancestral backgrounds.
It's true though that the modern portuguese is a very diverse personality that can fit into any type of environment.
And that is somethinf cultural and historical not genetical
>>
>>66267823
Every colony was different, so in that sense they are all the same.

> Portugal was conquered by Muslim, and breed with them. This make them more prone to have children with any other race.

So did Spain, and for a longer time. And there's absolutely no reason to believe that the muslim conquest has any relation to the willingness to procreate with different races. Religion is not race.

Most american british colonies excluding canada and the us had significant british population, but nowadays are overwhelmingly black/indian, that's because the brits had children with blacks and eventually got absorbed by the black majority. The fact is that people will breed no matter what, if race mixing is frowned upon, they will try to stay in the same race, but if that's not possible they will mix.
>>
>>66267787
>Just a fact, but not so obvious to our left.
Funny - plenty leftists I know almost worship Freyre.

>Yeah... but you know the diference? Portugueses reproduced with salves and Amerindians, which influenced them. Quite the opposite from other colonies.
Check Venezuela then. Or the creoles in French Louisiana. Or the Amerindian-Black-Hindu-White clusterfuck the Brits created in Guyana.

The Portuguese were no different from the other colonizers in this regard. There was a fair amount of interracial fucking in colonies from all four metropolises. (I assume the same happened with the Dutch colonies.)

>Holy shit! I meant sex with slaves and Amerindians
NOW you're talking something specific instead of "muh spirit/ghost/apparition/jebus/satan/tooth fairy!". See above.

>Portugueses, because they were and are something between the the white and north-African
For cultural, linguistic and identity purposes, the Portuguese are _white_, period. Not "something between", otherwise they would speak an Andalusi-Galician creole instead of just a Galician variety.
>>
>>66268092

>Visigoths
Meh... your forebears that reproduced with Muslims, resulting in you.

Not that simple. Portuguese made Brazil their land. Many lords of the Big House settle down in this lands; they din't just fucked them and got off. They had an harem of slaves and natives; the genesis of us.
Your forebears started colonizing us by this; breeding with slaves and natives in order to create a good amount of people to secure the land.
How do you think your country being so small conquered this huge portion of land?

And your north-African background [which helped to melt the rigid European though] helped you guys in this conquest; once race and puritanism was washed away.
>>
>>66267823
>Holy shit! You didn't read his book at all.
>You still don't believe in Jesus! You didn't read the Bible!

I've been showing Freyre's methodological failure through the thread since the guy was mentioned. But yeah, sure, I didn't read it at all, otherwise I'd accept your [pseudo]sociological Bible.

>Portugal colonization was completed different from the other colonies, and their historical background was complete different. Take USA as an example; how can you say they "were the same".
The metropolis is just a detail compared with the environment.

>Portugal was conquered by Muslims
See the other post.

>As a result of that, we were and we are not so divided by race; as it happened with USA or Australia.
But not with a certain Jamaica colonized by the very same Brits.

Also, I'm pointing out Freyre's bigotry by the fact any reasoning he could use to prove "Portugal was different" applies to Castile/Spain, specially the racial mixing (since Castillians/Spaniards in general colonized lands _ROUGHLY_ in the same circumstances as the Tugas.)

>>66267938
De boa, se quiser mudar pra português, à vontade.
>>
>>66268302

>Funny - plenty leftists I know almost worship Freyre.
What? They hate them! Because of the half-breeds, as Freyre explained it well, it would melt down their Afro-Innocence and White-Guilty.

>Check Venezuela then. Or the creoles in French Louisiana. Or the Amerindian-Black-Hindu-White clusterfuck the Brits created in Guyana.
But not in the same proportion, is clear the racial line in those countries and in ours; it is hard to tell which race one belongs to.

>The Portuguese were no different from the other colonizers in this regard. There was a fair amount of interracial fucking in colonies from all four metropolises.
Yes, they were. As I explained above.

>NOW you're talking something specific instead of "muh spirit/ghost/apparition/jebus/satan/tooth fairy!". See above.
Cosmopolitan spirit is a pretty clear thing; a person or culture that can live together with another one, even letting an offspring amonge those.

>For cultural, linguistic and identity purposes, the Portuguese are _white_, period. Not "something between", otherwise they would speak an Andalusi-Galician creole instead of just a Galician variety.
Not so fast. Many British and Dutch historians classified them as an intersection of north-Africa and Europeans.
>>
>>66268492

>I've been showing Freyre's methodological failure through the thread since the guy was mentioned. But yeah, sure, I didn't read it at all, otherwise I'd accept your [pseudo]sociological Bible.
You've shown nothing, just misconceptions about him and his book and absurd conclusion. He just, through a huge historical compilation, present us our historical background; which is race-mixing, and the influence of each culture in us.

But I'm done here, I need to sleep.
>>
>>66268492

Good debate, though.
Non-autistic.
Rare around here.
>>
>>66268552
>What? They hate them! Because of the half-breeds, as Freyre explained it well, it would melt down their Afro-Innocence and White-Guilty.
Left-wing anarchists, left-wing po-mo, cultural """Marxists""" with no Marxism at all...

>But not in the same proportion
See pic. Source, http://www.lahistoriaconmapas.com/atlas/country-map03/colombia-ethnic-map.htm
[Why do you think some /int/ Argies call them "Congolombianos"?]

>Cosmopolitan spirit is a pretty clear thing; a person or culture that can live together with another one, even letting an offspring amonge those.
First, you were saying it's about intermarriage; now, you're broadening the word to include co-existence, with intermarriage being secondary. Make your mind.

>Not so fast. Many British and Dutch historians classified them as an intersection of north-Africa and Europeans.
1. Source, please.
2. Explain then why Portuguese [and Castillian] have no grammatical features resembling Andalusi (Mozarabic), no shared phonology, just a half dozen borrowings.
>>
>>66268666
>Non-autistic.
WAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHH I FAILED MY ATTEMPT! NEED ASSBURGER HARDER!
Tá, brincadeira porca, deixa pra lá.

Boa noite, durma bem. Se quiser continuar noutro dia, só me avisa... (mesmo sem o tripcode, sou bem fácil de identificar...)
>>
File: Colombian ethnic map.jpg (19KB, 583x417px) Image search: [Google]
Colombian ethnic map.jpg
19KB, 583x417px
>>66268773
Vou dormir também que já até esqueci da imagem.
>>
>>66267264
> be goat feudal Japan
> hairy brown manlets land on your shores with slaves, indians and macaques
> poofy paints and stupid language
> tell you you have to worship dead guy on stick
> decide to keep out all gaijin for 200 years
>>
File: 1473132104912.jpg (7KB, 231x218px) Image search: [Google]
1473132104912.jpg
7KB, 231x218px
>>66266239
>>
>>66267676
From 1530 onwards they stayed to plant sugar cane
Thread posts: 63
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.