[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why isnt Russia a major player in science-related industries?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 2

File: Flagbig.gif (4KB, 443x288px) Image search: [Google]
Flagbig.gif
4KB, 443x288px
I mean Russia has a high literate rate, got a tradition in having breakthroughs at science and have tons of notables scientists. So... why arent them a major player in science/hi-tech related industries? I mean Brazil biggest problem is the lack of specialized labour/education infrastructure hence why it is so tough to go into this sector meanwhile Russia has this problem, at least in my point of view solved, due to the USSR, and despite that they arent really a major player in economy like Japan, European countries, China and the US
>>
>>66239634
>?

USSR had a lot of inventions, Russia doesn't anymore because after collapse they became a shithole
>>
>>66239634
Because while countries in Europe were doing nothing, like the germans just faffing around in wigs and squabbling over tiny princedoms, and England, France, Spain etc. were going around the globe beating up more or less defenseless foreigners, the whole nordic region was locked in more or less constant warfare from the 14th century all up until the late 19th century more or less.
>>
Everyone with an education emigrated in the 90s.
>>
>>66239666
>>66239707
so they never recovered after perestroyka?
>>
>>66239634
lel
>>
>>66239634
I think most Russian academics prefer to publish in Russian language journals, so their work doesn't get as much attention. There's also sanctions to consider and this >>66239707, the 2010 nobel prize in physics went to two Russian expats working in the UK.
>>
because its shithole with economy smaller than italy?
>>
>>66239890
you could say that to every country in history
>>
Science needs good environment. Clear rules, uninhibited competetivnes, influx of fresh brains and big funding. Russia doesn't have any of that. No country is able to pump enough money into science just with the taxes, you need science to be linked with industry, give companies possblity to monetize their research. Only the economically free countries are able to do that. Academic ethitcs in all post-soviet eastern countries are absolutely feudal. Being good doesn't mean you can get a grant or a research possibility. You need connections and corruption is prevalent even in the biggest goverment institutions. Poland is suffering from the same problems, there are many fields of science and medicine where you can't just succeed without connections. Working hard just to get your paper published under the name of your supervisor is a common thing and you can't say a word because that would mean the end of your carrer. That's why everyone who want's really to be independent in his research and is serious about it leaves.
>>
>>66239707
Eastern Europe overall has had a substantial brain-drain for a very long time.
Anyone worth spit in terms of STEM or medicine got the fuck out a long time ago.
>>
>>66239634
Their space and military industries are competitive.
>>
>>66241598
Only on price.

>>66241435
Tempting though it might be to blame this on gommunism, Eastern Europe had these problems before WWII.
>>
The whole problem was that educational systems in EE traditionally emphasized philosophy and the liberal arts to the detriment of practical subjects.
>>
Read up a bit about the history of the Soviet space program and especially why they failed to put a man on the moon. It explains a lot about the overall culture of science and engineering in Russia.
>>
>literally only major high tech export is nuclear tech
talk about a banana republic
>>
File: Russian Mars missions.png (30KB, 596x509px) Image search: [Google]
Russian Mars missions.png
30KB, 596x509px
>>66241851
Or why their Mars probes all totally failed.
>>
>>66242030
>>66241851
Soviet scientists preferred to take up extremely dense, abstract mathematical subjects with little practical value but which were mostly safe from political interference. This contrasts with the work done at NASA to develop useful things like error-correcting satellite transmission.

Many of the bureau chiefs such as Korolev, Glushko, and Chelomei did not get along either because of old feuds from way back (Glushko and his colleagues had ratted out Korolev to the NKVD in the Great Purge and he never forgave him for that).
>>
>>66239666
Because you need capital that Russia doesn't have. That's why their engineers are fleeing to the West
>>
>>66241851
How do you explain their resounding success with Venus?
>>
>>66242729
Mars is a tougher nut to crack than Venus because of the much longer distance and cold temperatures, but more importantly you can only launch probes there every 2-1/2 years while Venus is near the Earth for six months a year, so you don't get as many chances.

Distance is an important factor here because Soviet engineers never did quite master reliable communication with probes from Martian distances (33 million miles at closest approach while Venus gets within 20 million miles of Earth).
>>
>>66242858
That and they didn't have as good of a tracking network while NASA had stations in Europe, Australia, South Africa, etc.
>>
It still took a whopping 11 attempts between 1961 and 1967 before Venera 4 finally succeeded. The US program took two attempts to succeed with a Venus probe (Mariner 2).
>>
Well it was last century of course
I don't know what happened, I mean it's not like kazakhs and georgians and turkmens were doing all the science, so now that they're gone I don't see why russia can't still be sciencey
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.