[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Weird Expressions

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 5

File: livraria_lello.jpg (308KB, 1024x682px) Image search: [Google]
livraria_lello.jpg
308KB, 1024x682px
What are some weird expressions in your country, that make absolutely no sense when translated? Not untranslatable words, but translatable expressions that lose the meaning.

I'll start with a Portuguese one for example:
"Podes tirar o cavalinho da chuva" > "You can take the little horse away from the rain"

It roughly means "You can stop being stubborn (because it won't get you what you want)"

It doesn't even make sense in Portuguese, to be honest, but we use it a ton.
>>
>>66117606
We also have a fuckton of expression that means "a place far away", usually in a dismissive manner:

He's from "Cascos de rolha" > "bits of cork" (not the material, but the bottle plug)
He's from "Cu de Judas" > "Judas's asshole"
He's from "Caralho mais velho" > "the oldest cock"
He's from "Santa cona dos assobios" > "Saint cunt of the whistles"

Our expressions are weird as fuck.
>>
>>66117606
Your idioms are qt
>>
File: Desenrascanço.jpg (26KB, 400x185px) Image search: [Google]
Desenrascanço.jpg
26KB, 400x185px
Couple more, from a meme slideshow I found, because as soon as I created the thread, I went blank with the examples:

"Estou-me nas tintas" > "I am in the inks" > "I don't give a shit"

"Faço-te a folha" > "I'll make you your sheet" > "I'll kick your ass"

"Vai pentear macacos" > "Go comb monkeys" > "Leave me alone"

"Raios te partam" > "Let lightning break you" > "Damn you"

"Caralhos te fodam" > "Let cocks fuck you" > "Fuck you"

"Estou-me a cagar para isso" > "I'm shitting myself to that" > "I couldn't care less"/"I fart in your general direction"

"Filho da mãe" > "Son of a mother" > A PG way to say "son of a bitch".

"Vai dar uma volta ao bilhar grande" > "Go take a walk around the big pool table" > "Leave me alone"/"Quit bullshiting"

"Baixa a bolinha" > "Lower the little ball" > "Speak more calmly" when the other person is being rude

"Chego-te a roupa ao pelo" > "I'll make your clothes closer to your fur" > "I'll kick your ass"

"Desenrasca-te" > "un-screw yourself" > "Improvise your way our of your problems yourself, quickly"

"Desemmerda-te" > "un-shit yourself" > "Improvise your way our of your problems yourself, quickly" (but more rude)

"Agora é que a porca torce o rabo" > "It is now that the [female] pig twists her tail" > "things are about to get serious"

"Carapau de corrida" > "Racing mackerel" > "[not so] Smart-ass"

Most of them are actually rude/colloquial, but almost none of them make sense, and the context of them coming to be is never too obvious either.
>>
-"Te voy a sacar la conchetumare"
literally "I'm gonna take your mothers cunt" it means "I'm gonna kick your ass"
-"pintar el mono" literally "painting the monkey" it means "make a fool of oneself" or "being ridiculous in a funny way".

There are infinite others but I'm feeling lazy
>>
>>66119729
"Go back to your mothers cunt" is a popular saying here too, when you want to tell someone to fuck off.
>>
We use the same word for "please" and "you're welcome"
>>
>>66119886
We have this variation for the same purpose "andate a la concha de tu madre" but we spell it like "andate a la conchetumare"
>>
>>66120133
Pallalusta?
>>
>>66117606
Swedish imported the word 'shit' as in 'this is the shit' from English and promptly got it complete wrong, only getting the 'positive expression'-part.

So we use 'shit' to express that we think that the food you made tasted wonderful.

Ha.
>>
"Con dinero baila el perro" which means with money the dog dances.
>>
"Whatever floats your boat" - whatever you say.

"Don't count your chickens before they hatch" - don't expect something before it happens.

"Up shit's creek without a paddle" - screwed.

"Bumfuck nowhere" - the middle of nowhere.
>>
File: 1476442990653.gif (2MB, 250x343px) Image search: [Google]
1476442990653.gif
2MB, 250x343px
>>66117606
>Dar uma de João-Sem-Braço
Roughly act like John "no arms". It means pretending to not understand something.
>>
>>66122743
Kek, I've heard this one before from a Brazilian and didn't know what it meant.
>>
>>66118734
>>66117739
>>66117606
>mfw we have half of those too
good feel
>>
>>66123293
Yeah, a lot of them are completely ridiculous.

I'd say you probably have more than we do. Or at least seem to use them more often. Maybe it's just that I don't even notice ours, too.
>>
"Your fucking white male" > "You are a human male of Caucasian descent" > "You're wrong"
>>
"La loma del orto" = used for pretty damn far away things translates as "the ass hill"

"¡Miércoles!" = General disgust use, like when you say "Fuck", for instance. It translates to wednesday.
>>
>>66117606
Draw it, and I'll color it (You want a fight? You got a fight)
This one evolves into "Píntemela a ver y yo le digo cuántos pares son tres moscas" or "Paint it, and I'll tell you how many pairs three flies are"
He's from Shit Avenue with 5th St (Lives really far away)
She's like the Holy Week: Long and meatless (you're not supposed to eat meat then)
You're peeing out of the pot: You're fucking up/talking bullshit/wrong af
Don't give papaya: You want to be robbed, you show your cellphone. You want to be raped, you walk through nigger streets. etc
>>
>>66122431
What does it mean? You can have fun with money, or money makes thing happen?
>>
>>66122431
Funny, my dad always said " por la plata baila el mono"
>>
>>66124928
Even dogs will dance if you give them money.
>>
>>66125639
>Gladna mechka horo ne igrae (Глaднa мeчкa хopo нe игpae)
A hungry bear does not dance
>>
That hits like a dick on a drum set.
>>
>>66125844
That's pretty cute.
We have "Hacer el oso" (do the bear), which is doing something very ridiculous. Basically spaghetti.
What a big bear I made, when my parents saw my body pillow. That stuff.
>>
Never shit a gift horse in the mouth
>>
>>66124365
>"Paint it, and I'll tell you how many pairs three flies are"
I fucking love this one. I feel it's close enough I could say it and get my point across amidst friendly banter.

>You're peeing out of the pot: You're fucking up/talking bullshit/wrong af
We have this one too. "Mijar fora do penico"
>>
>>66123145
Brazilians are weird. If someone is dozing off in public they would wake him up as a prank by grabbing him by his testicles and say "olha o carro do leite" or something like that. Do you that in Portugal too?
>>
>>66126170
Oh yes, it's not "pee". It's not "orinar". It's fucking Miar. What a nice word.
>>
>>66126210
Kek, no.

Brazilian idioms and country-memes are always weird as fuck. Amusing, too.
>>
>>66120133
Same for us, but the second meaning (you're welcome) is a bit too formal/archaic now.
>>
File: 1471061215948.jpg (26KB, 251x242px) Image search: [Google]
1471061215948.jpg
26KB, 251x242px
>>66126210
> "olha o carro do leite"
>>
>>66120133
Пoжaлyйcтa?
Kinda like german with "bitte" and "bitteschön"
>>
>>66120133
So do we, makes more sense if you consider that "please" in both Dutch and english is short for "if it pleases you". Looking at the literal meaning of that phrase you can see how it could be used in both contexts.
>>
>>66127651
It's a common occurrence in many Indo-European languages. I think Italian and Romanian do the same.
>>
We call good things la raja which means the ass
And wea which can mean something, something stupid, balls, laziness, dumb
It conjugates to weon which can mean friend and dumb
>>
>>66128100
We also have la wea fome conchetumare which means the eggy boring cunt of your mother
>>
>>66127523
Can you explain where it came from? It's absolutely hilarious.
>>
>>66117606
"Pisser dans un violon" > "To piss in a violin"> Doing something without any chance of success.
>>
>>66120133
Sometimes we'll use "thank you" in place of please.

E.g. you can say "Can you pass ___ that over to me? Thank you." Without waiting until they do what you want before you say "thank you". Gotta be careful to not sound like a prick saying it though or else it comes off as arrogant, like you think the person will do what you want because you said it.
>>
>>66130626
Thread posts: 41
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.