[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Exchange in UK

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 3

File: maxresdefault.jpg (100KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
100KB, 1920x1080px
I'm an Australian university student about to do a semester in the UK. What do I need to know that I won't find on the government travel advice website?
>>
Tell us where you are studying so that we can give you regional information
>>
>>65833164
Hertfordshire, a bit north of the M25
>>
>>65833029
Brits are drunk, loud and rude. At least when they are on vacation.
>>
>>65833221
We're a little bit like that in Australia too. I'm sure there's a community group in Bali trying to get us banned from visiting.
>>
>>65833213
there's a hertfordshire uni?
>>
>>65833321
Indeed http://www.herts.ac.uk/
>>
>>65833372
poor choice sorry lid
>>
>>65833321

Yeah. In Hatfield. It's a bit shit I'm sorry to say.
>>
>>65833405
:(

>>65833425
The university or the region? After I've finished my studies in May I'll be able to wander around the UK and Europe until my visa expires/my money runs out and I fly back home.
>>
>>65833269
We also behave like this on vacation. We don't do at home though.
>>
>>65833498
i mean it's still a place where there are lots of students and they'll be plenty of opportunity to go on the pisser but it's shite compared to a lot of uni places we have here
>>
>>65833583
Which part of the UK are you in?
>>
>>65833612
nottingham for uni
>>
>>65833029
If you're an actual Australian and not a Chink you probably know us well enough to get by here without looking at a guide.
>>
5 prayers a day
no pork
Need to slaughter a sheep on Eid

You're all set
>>
>>65833498

The university. As for the area, I've only ever been to Hatfield House, the home of the Marquess of Salisbury. I understand he's your chancellor. There's an oak tree in the garden that Elizabeth I would have known when she lived there.
>>
>>65833619
Ah. Yeah, I didn't really have much choice given that (a) my university only has an exchange partnership with a handful of universities, and (b) my course structure requires I do core units, I can't do any electives at all, which make it bloody difficult to find a university with matching modules.

>>65833713
On a related note, I'm doing a stopover in Dubai, so that advice probably won't be too far from the truth.
>>
>>65833836
fair enough

leeds and manny are good places for uni (if you want to get mandied off your nut)
>>
>>65833647
It's the little stuff, like public transport etc. that I need some insider knowledge about.
>>
>>65833836
My lovely /int/ friends making things out of their lives, getting girlfriends, degrees, promotions

I'll probably commit suicide at 40 after eating my birthday cake
>>
>>65833868
I was looking at leeds, but I couldn't match the modules. I recall they were particularly stingy with offering most modules to exchange students.
>>
>>65833915
Yeah, I'm getting a rough idea why...
>>
>>65833915
And now I'm getting an even better idea why...

http://smartraveller.gov.au/Countries/africa/north/Pages/sudan.aspx#
>>
My school has abroad programs for Keele University, University of Stirling in Scotland, and Swansea Universty.

What do you guys think about those places?
>>
>>65834146
shite shite shite

sorry x
>>
>>65833029
Nothing really, you Aussies are basically the same as us.
>>65833571
>vacation

It's holiday Heinrich. If you're going to speak like a yank you can leave this thread.
>>
>>65834215
Damn I really want to study in the UK, there's still one in Ireland, or else I'll have to choose somewhere else in Europe
>>
>>65834146
Just come here mate, you'll have a great time.
>>
>>65834089
>>65834006
There are even better anecdotes

The government implanted imported nuclear waste within agricultural centers in the north to get rid of residents through hepatic and cerebral cancers

The government mobilized religious groups to alienate one of the oldest Coptic Christian churches and seize it's land for commerical profit

The government used chemical weapons to ethnically cleanse Nubians in the west

The government spends 125,000 US Dollars on the president a day, and less than 90 cents on the healthcare of a citizen a year

FUCK ISLAM, FUCK ISLAMISTS, I HOPE THE WEST WAKES UP AND EXTERMINATES THE RELIGION FROM THIS FORSAKEN EARTH
>>
>>65834288
well i mean they're probably okay tbf but like not in the best

i'd say go kelee if you want good nightlife, close to newcastle
>>
>>65834298
I really want to.
How different are Wales and Scotland compared to life in England?
I'll admit I have some trouble with the Scottish accent sometimes
>>
>>65834325
Holy shit that's bad

>FUCK ISLAM, FUCK ISLAMISTS, I HOPE THE WEST WAKES UP AND EXTERMINATES THE RELIGION FROM THIS FORSAKEN EARTH

I'm sure there's some hipster wanker who will come in and call you a racist any second now...

In all seriousness, I hope everything works out for you. Don't try to settle in Australia by boat or you'll be sent back, so your best bet is to go to Germany, throw away your documents, and pretend to be Syrian.
>>
>>65834404
The same probably, you'll probably get on with Scots and Northerners better as you're a yank though.
>>
>>65834404
Depending on your course structure, you might not have much choice. It all depends on whether you have any electives, how many classes you have to take, what classes the host university offers.

My advice is to apply for exchange as early as possible in your university career so you have plenty of classes to choose from.
>>
>>65834518
Thanks dude, I didn't even think about that
>>
>>65834957
What year are you in for university?
>>
>>65835108
1st
>>
>>65834518
what are you studying anon
>>
>>65835537
I'm doing a double degree majoring in journalism and economics.
>>
>>65835537
this was meant for the op btw
>>
>>65835565
ahh ok
my friend is a senior lecturer there but in a different faculty, sorry to say but hatfield is a real shithole, it's only saving grace is the fact that it is 20 minutes or so from london.

no idea what student life is like - you might meet some sound people, but if i was you, i'd be seeing/doing cultural things in london in my spare time.
>>
>>65835618
Well, I'll have to make my way down to London during the semester anyway since there's a state election. I may as well make a day of it.
>>
>>65835665
£10 on the train / 20 minutes
there's always good shit happening in london - doesn't have to be expensive either, but whatever 'thing' you're into you'll find it there.
>>
>>65835788
Actually I do have a question about the train.

According to National Rail, if I take a train from Heathrow to Hatfield, it will cost me about £34. However, according to TFL, if I take the Underground to Kings Cross, and then National Rail to Hatfield, it'll only cost me £16.

What the fuck is going on?
Thread posts: 45
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.