[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Question to angloscum

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 96
Thread images: 8

File: vRBvBco.png (676KB, 743x575px) Image search: [Google]
vRBvBco.png
676KB, 743x575px
What're some grammar mistakes you commonly see on /int/ nobody bothers pointing out?
>>
'try and'

For example, "I'm going to try and give you a good example".

Literally only martsharters say this
>>
all of them
>>
>>65827838
>For example, "I'm going to try and give you a good example".
What is wrong with it?
>>
I intentionally make mistakes to fuck with people trying to learn english
>>
>>65827890
try = 50% chance of success
give = 100% chance of success
try and give = 50% chance and 100% chance
try to give = 50% chance
>>
>>65827838
>>65828067
There is nothing wrong with 'try and give', stop confusing the foreigners.
>>
>>65827890
It should be 'try to'.

Saying 'try to give' associates 'trying' with 'giving'

Saying 'try and give' implies they're both independant actions. You could reword it like: "I'm going to try and I'm going to give' which is a correct expansion but does not make sense.
>>
Faggots not using capital letters or full stops.

like>>65827880
This is common on 4chan now, nobody gives a shit anymore while five years ago you would be told to fuck off.
>>
Nobody gets the preposition following "different" right.

Brits say "different to"
Americans say "different than"
The correct form is "different from"
>>
When should we use "shall"?
>>
>>65828196
"Shall" is for 1st person, "will" is for 2nd and 3rd person, but they can be reversed for emphasis.
>>
>>65828196
Shall is related to should. The most common usage is in the form, "Shall I do this, or shall I do that?"
>>
>how old are you?
>I have __ years
>>
>>65828239
For example, "I shall go to the store" vs "He will go to the store"

>>65828279
That is the literal translation of the Spanish phrase, but I don't think it's that common in English.
>>
>>65828239
shall for first and will for 2nd and 3rd is a bit of a myth. they used to be independent verbs with different meanings, but that is obsolete now.
it is sort of connected with the german sollen and willen but the link is long gone. in german sollen is something you must do in the future, and willen is something that you want to do in the future - they are both sort of used to describe an action that you will do. or something ilke that
>>
>>65828239
>>65828257
Thanks
One more question

When I was in England, senior citizen say "cheers" instead of "thanks" and "hello".
Is it common in other Anglo countries?
>>
>>65828279

that is a 1rst grade error. Guess to much people here learnt English from watching retarded Swedish youtubers or sumffin..
>>
>>65828151
>5 years ago told to fuck off
waaaaaat
>>
>>65828402
Cheerio m80, see ya in da pub dis ev'ning aight brutha?
>>
>>65827681
>Pointing out grammar mistakes on the internet ever
Pleb filter.
>>
>>65827681
>Have a degree in English Literature
>Point out bad grammar/spelling
>Get bantered for it
>Give up and banter everyone else

So it goes.
>>
File: image.gif (915KB, 800x511px) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
915KB, 800x511px
>>65828196
literally noone says "shall" unless they are being precious.
>>
>>65828416
>to much people
>>
>>65828391
Also true, and now the verbs are used completely interchangeably if "shall" is used at all. I was simply reiterating Victorian tradition.

>>65828402
No.
>>
File: 1472226171337.jpg (30KB, 316x202px) Image search: [Google]
1472226171337.jpg
30KB, 316x202px
> should of

REEEEEEEEEEEEEE
E
E

R
E
R
R
R
E
E
EEER

FUCK OFFFFFFFF REEEREEE
>>
>>65828196
you "should" use shall for emphasis and when you want to sound pretentious. if you want to speak correctly just use will and never use shall and tell anyone that corrects you to shit out the umbrella they got stuck in their ass
>>
>>65828196
SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED

That's the only instance in the English language
>>
File: image.jpg (81KB, 1090x721px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
81KB, 1090x721px
>>65828487
pointing out bad grammar and spelling will give you only people who think you're King Sperg tbqfh

t. someone who used to get fired up about spelling on FB
>>
>>65828525

you can't say people as an uncountable generic? The Too is an obvious mistake, but I thought you could say there was "too much people in the store"
>>
File: image.jpg (188KB, 983x979px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
188KB, 983x979px
>>65828579
i read this as "shall not be fingered" lel
>>
something i hate is when people say ERBS. if you want it to sound the french way spell it the french way - herbes
>>
>>65828585
>pointing out bad grammar and spelling will give you only people who think you're King Sperg tbqfh
>will give you only people who think you're King Sperg tbqfh
>t. An American

Thanks.
>>
>>65828563
is this a bulgarian saying?

also > mfw last night on my tv show the bad guys were Bulgarian hackers based out of a tv station in Sofia. And they were showing the place looking like afghanistan or something. I was like "what that fuck?"
>>
>>65828402
Australians and maybe New Zealanders use it occasionally. That being said, if you did say cheers in any country in the Anglosphere they would understand what you meant.
>>
>>65828585
pointing out anything on FB gets people to hate you.
>>
>>65828612
"People" as a collective is only in the singular. As a plural for "person" you must use "many" in that case. Also note the difference between "fewer" and "less".

>>65828644
Tbf, "erb" is the older pronunciation.
>>
>>65828644
Only Americans say erb, everyone else pronounces the h
>>
>>65828723
not really.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JW8DNStF3TE
>>
>>65828670
Welcome, m9. How's the weather down there tonight?
>>
>>65828739
this is true.
it is a weird space tbqfhfam
>>
>>65828831
20 C overnight without cloud, fucking ace thanks. How's it where you are?
>>
File: image.png (228KB, 459x359px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
228KB, 459x359px
>>65828779
saying "herb" in the US is a mite pretentious and would get everyone expecting you next to use "shall"

at least i use herbs copiously. even if i pronounce them like a pleb's pleb.
>>
>>65828952
ok i got a new one that i hate
"a mite"
>>
>>65828951
noice. many spoidahs?

It's nice here but I don't know bc i am inside bantering mit you guiz on /int/.

Prob need to get back to work tho. Cheers! Nice country, btw, I have lived there a bit.
>>
>>65827681
I can always understand johnny foreigners even if they're speaking the most broken incomprehensible English possible
>>
>>65829066
Or...when people say "RIGHT?". that is big these days.
>>
>>65829066
Same, IDK what that guy's talking about.
>>
>>65829119
Yeah, that's a bit annoying, know what I'm saying?
>>
>>65829119
right is in no way as annoying as like though
>>
>>65829073
>noice. many spoidahs?
Loads spiders, wave a stick in front of ya gob to get rid of them though.

Where did ya live?
I've been around the states, beautiful country, shame about the people though!
>>
The biggest mistakes that foreigners make are with prepositions.

Germans will say "I went in the store," for example, even though we'd say "I went to the store."

Those are the main ones; it's also good to remember "could have" instead of "could of," "for all intents and purposes" instead of "for all intensive purposes," and my biggest pet peeve which is "there are a lot of people" instead of "there's a lot of people." These are mostly mistakes that native speakers make, though, since foreigners either don't bother to use these phrases or they're more grammar conscious than we are.
>>
>>65829195
this is also annoying.
>>
ok ok this one is the one i hate the most
jejune.
its a joke. im sure some git tried to impress some other gits by trying to get something that was latin or french and confused some I's and J's and came up with the most retarded shit ever
>>
>>65829315
I hole-hardedly agree, but allow me to play doubles advocate here for a moment. For all intensive purposes I think you are wrong. In an age where false morals are a diamond dozen, true virtues are a blessing in the skies. We often put our false morality on a petal stool like a bunch of pre-Madonnas, but you all seem to be taking something very valuable for granite. So I ask of you to mustard up all the strength you can because it is a doggy dog world out there. Although there is some merit to what you are saying it seems like you have a huge ship on your shoulder. In your argument you seem to throw everything in but the kids Nsync, and even though you are having a feel day with this I am here to bring you back into reality. I have a sick sense when it comes to these types of things. It is almost spooky, because I cannot turn a blonde eye to these glaring flaws in your rhetoric. I have zero taller ants when it comes to people spouting out hate in the name of moral righteousness. You just need to remember what comes around is all around, and when supply and command fails you will be the first to go. Make my words, when you get down to brass stacks it doesn't take rocket appliances to get two birds stoned at once. It's clear who makes the pants in this relationship, and sometimes you just have to swallow your prize and accept the facts. You might have to come to this conclusion through denial and error but I swear on my mother's mating name that when you put the petal to the medal you will pass with flying carpets like it’s a peach of cake.
>>
>>65829315
This. I also get the feeling that people could get "I go to the store" and "I am going to the store" confused.

>>65829315
>"there are a lot of people" instead of "there's a lot of people."
I actually thought that that was correct before thinking about it 2bh.
>>
>>65828151
That's how people talk here, lad. It's chan culture to leave periods off the last sentence in shorter posts. (I didn't do it here because it didn't fit, but the Finnish guy used it correctly)
>>
>>65829315
Confusing at/on/in is a big one too
>>
>>65829333
But it just feels good to say, nomasayin'?
>>
>>65829315
>Germans will say "I went in the store," for example, even though we'd say "I went to the store."

I don't think Germans make that mistake, since it works the same in their language, but it is a problem for people that speak romance languages.
>>
>>65829315
The biggest mistake foreigners make is that they speak American English, as you detailed, that not many other cultures in the world understand.
>>
>>65828416
*too many people learned
>>
>>65827681
Changing tense in the middle of a sentence
>>
>>65829463
Yes, foreigners should be learning Australian English.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sbPWitSTe2k
>>
File: Its ours now.png (19KB, 729x278px) Image search: [Google]
Its ours now.png
19KB, 729x278px
>>65829463
>>
>>65829315
a people - singular, means a group of people like a nation - then its singular. "the mongols are a savage people"
when youre just saying more than one person, then its ok to use plural. a lot of people came that evening - would you say they came that evening or it came that evening?
>>
>>65829415
Its agressive imho
>>
>>65829437
Interesting given that in Latin you'd use "ad", for "to", for such uses.

>>65829526
This; English uses absolute tense as opposed to the relative tense of Romance languages.
>>
It' "a lot," 2 words

Not alot

Not allot unless you mean an allowance
>>
>>65829552
>t. doesn't know what I'm saying

>>65829542
Yeah, but I think he's saying that the "lot" of people is singular.
>>
>>65829565
When I wrote that post I was thinking about this >>65829410

We use the same word for at/on/in, so It's a common mistake.
>>
>>65829534
Thanks for backing up my point!
>>
File: image.jpg (183KB, 1347x1265px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
183KB, 1347x1265px
(YOU) I have to be honest, tho. Hanging out on /int/ gives you a weird accent.
>>
>>65829638
Yeah, that is rather weird 2bh.

>>65829659
Do you use a lot of Vocaroo?
>>
>>65829690
No.
>>
>>65829730
Alrighty
>>
>>65829437
"Ich gehe in..." is a German phrase that we don't have in English. When we say "in," we never refer to movement.

>>65829463
Well, to be fair, it's the most influential in terms of popular culture, so it's understandable.
Besides, most of the mistakes I mentioned were standard English mistakes, in other words, not realted to our dialect at all.

>>65829542
"People" can be used as a singular when referring to an ethnic group or something like that. Still, it'd always be plural, e.g. "The mongols are a Central Asian people. They are believed to share common ancestry with all Altaic peoples."
Even though "people" is singular in the first sentence, "they" would always be used.
>>
>>65829605
people is the subject if thats what youre talking about. you conjugate the verb according to the subject. a lot of people, many sugars, few shoes, several assholes.
>>
Gotta bounce, peeps. It's been real, and it's been fun. Gotta earn some shekelim. L8tr.
>>
>>65829533
Oh my gosh! It sounds like the speaker has a strong chinese accent or it's not a real person speaking but computer speech synthesizer from nineties.
>>
>>65828196
"Shall" and "will" are more or less interchangeable in modern English, except that "shall" sounds a bit archaic in most circumstances.

In the UK, it's common to use the phrase "shall I/shall we" to start a question, but it's not as common in the USA. Other than that, "shall" is mostly used for emphasis, as a more forceful version of "will".

You can swap shall/will in almost any situation though, it's just that "shall" will sound a bit weird and dated.
>>
Russians leaving out articles
"Should of"
Native speakers fucking up prepositions
>>
>>65829315
I realize my formatting was a little confusing. "There are a lot of people" is correct, the other way is not.

As a grammar note, that'd be called "parallel structure," where I want it to consistantly be arranged so that the mistake comes second in order to have a more fluent sentence. However, my reference to a pet peeve makes it seem like the first sentence, which is actually the correct one, was the incorrect one.
>>
>>65829837
The subject isn't people, it's a "lot" of people. In non-American English I see how stuff like "band" and "Government" is treated as plural nouns so maybe they can also say that, but in the US there are rather few collective nouns.
>>
In regards to "should of", we have a problem with what people hear and what they write down. It is most likely that "should have," being contracted to "should've," sounds like "should of." So people who don't know any better write what they hear, and we get "I should of gone to the movie with you."

Example: Do you feel like someone is watching your every move? You're probably just "pair annoyed."
>>
>>65829816
yes, but im an idiot my example was shit
people is not uncountable. it is the plural of person. people, used as a tribe, is the singular, and the plural is peoples.
so a lot of people is countable and you use plural on it. a lot of sugar is uncountable and you use singular on it.
there are a lot of people on the dance floor, there is a lot of sugar on the dance floor.
>>
>>65829956
Those bloody articles are always being a an obstacle for us because in our mother tongue we don't have them at all and sometimes it's not so easy to understand cleary the logic of its usage in English or French.
>>
>>65829985
a lot, 2, many, few, 15, a gorillion people. its all the same its always plural and the subject is people, not the quantifying bit before people.
>>
>>65830218
I know m8, I'm just saying that you leave them out
>>
>>65829437
german has problems with that
in german you have cases and prepositions, and if you switch the prepositions and/or cases you get different meanings.
Ich will ins Haus gehen. - in + akkusativ = I want to go into the house.
Ich will im Haus gehen - in + dativ = I want to go while I am inside the house.
Ich will bis zum Hause gehen - bis + zu + dativ - I want to go home. Hause has old ending which is supposed to be obsolete
Ich will nach das Haus gehen. - nach + akk = I want to go to the house.
pretty much because english doesnt have cases, germans would get confused as to what preposition to use.
>>
>>65830218
Probably akin to English and Genders, 2bh.
>>
>>65831103
but english does have genders though. its just that in english everything is neutral, except for things that have a benis or a bagina. and when you know exactly which they have. the rest is all neutral.
>>
>>65831186
Fair enough, but they're only really distinct in pronouns, so genders for other uses would be mildly confusing for us, though not as much as declension likely.
>>
>>65828585
That's a new annoying trend, as >>65828151 said back then (tho i think it was more like 8 years ago or something) bantering by being a grammar elithist was fairly common and it was really helpful.
>>
>>65831268
the hard thing with gendered nouns isnt usually what to add after/before them, but knowing which gender they are
a key is supposed to be feminine in spanish and masculine in german. theres no logic behind it, it just is.
>>
>>65831440
Yeah, and Anglos seem to see that, thus discarding genders outside of pronouns altogether.
Thread posts: 96
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.