[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Dialects

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 5

File: dialect.gif?w=306&h=398.gif (21KB, 250x325px) Image search: [Google]
dialect.gif?w=306&h=398.gif
21KB, 250x325px
What are dialects like in your country, /int/?

For Japan

>標準語 hyoujungo
The standard dialect. It was originally spoken in the yamanote part of Tokyo by the well off elite. The rest of Japan spoke a wide variety of mutually intelligible dialects, but not quite uniform. This was later taught across the country and used in radio and television. It's similar to received pronunciation for the brits, or the mid atlantic accent for americans. Except everyone can speak it nowadays. People that speak other dialects think it's cold and impersonal.

>Kansai family of dialects
If Hyoujungo is the new American English, Kansai is the "old-world" pronunciation. Similar to the position of British/Aussie/NZ accents. It also encompasses an array of similar accents such as Osaka, Kyoto, and Kobe.
>>Osaka
American dubs seem to equate it to the southern accent, but that's not true at all. If anything, they're more like australians. Loud, boisterous, and comedic reputation. Lots of comedians speak this dialect.
>>Kyoto
They speak a more "posh" accent that's nice to listen to. They're also more round about if they're trying to be mean and ask if you'd like a bubuzuke (Tea + rice dish) if they want you to leave. (Nobody does this anymore, though)
>>
No dialects

"you lot"
>>
>Hakata
Manly men, cute girls. Sorry I dunnomuchlol.

>Okinawa
There are two levels, just Okinawa-ben and actual Ryuukyuu (Uchinaaguchi). Okinawa-ben is basically really relaxed and slow and uses a lot of words from uchinaaguchi. Okinawans are the longest living people in Japan and are also kinda tend to be relatively fat. Uchinaaguchi is basically an incomprehensible foreign language but sounds kinda similar.

We also have different ways of saying certain things depending on the area. Kinda like pop vs soda. Bandaids would be called "bando eido," "bansoko," "Katto ban", "Riba tape," "Kizuban" etc...

There are a lot more dialects, but I don't know them much. Dialects are pretty much the way normal people speak and only use hyoujungo for work or when they're around native hyoujungo speakers, but hyoujungo people have no problem understanding dialects unless it's really heavy to the point that words are totally different.
>>
Different dialects of spanish vary mostly in the accent and they're all understandable

We have different languages in the country tho, galician (pretty understandable) catalan (somewhat understandable) and basque (totally alien, not even indoeuropean).
>>
>>65787198
How much the contemporary Japanese understand reading books like Genji Monogatari?
>>
>>65787198
What's that strange dialect that sounds like it's from the continent ?
It has bad flow and the opposite of Hyoujungo.
>>
File: 1464149674453.jpg (38KB, 480x361px) Image search: [Google]
1464149674453.jpg
38KB, 480x361px
"Yo como pollo"

God italo descendant tier:
>sho come-o po-sho

banana sub human amerindian "latin"o tier:
>eeo come-o po-jo
>>
>>65787360
About the same as Shakespeare.
You can do it, but most people would just be better off reading the modern version.

>>65787367
Can you be a bit more specific? I don't know what you mean.

>>65787422
So it's not regional but racial in Argentina? So is it like ebonics vs regular american?
>>
>>65787516
Nah, it's geographical really. Close to Rio de la Plata: sho come-o po-sho (argentina - little part of uruguay)

Outside: eeo come-o po-jo (Venezuela, Ecuador, Peru, etc)
>>
>carioca
A lot of sh sounds
>paulista
Using and overemphasing the wrong "r"
>nordestino
Can't say with words, it has a different ring to it
>sulista
Pronounce words as they're written and use the wrong r
>>
>>65787638
So rather than being big differences like UK, US it's more like Boston, New York, California, South, etc...?
>>
>>65787516
It was the Hokuriku dialect.
Heard it in an shoujo about 100 poem karuta and it was very different from what I normally hear.
>>
>>65787791
They are mutually intelligible, there a just a few differences between the way some dialects pronounce certain words (r, s for instance) and the way they speak them, generally
>>
>>65787796
Hmm. I just thought it sounds softer, I didn't think it sounded like it was from the "continent"

Unless you mean zuuzuuben, which is really incomprehensible mush that sounds really "hick." Not necessarily dumb or racist, but really country folk living way out in the middle of nowhere.

>>65787921
Ah ok.
>>
Dialects in Spain

>Standart
Pronounce it like it's written
>Madrilean/castilian
Sounds mostly standart but make article errors (laismo/leismo/loismo)
>Galician
Standart but with galician (the language) accent.
>Asturian
idk really
>Basque
Sounds a bit strong, pretty standart anyway, they use some basque words sometimes.
>Aragonese
Sounds nice and use some aragonese words (almost stinct language)
>Catalan
Pretty standart but they have a huge amount of andalusian immigrants
>Valencian
Pretty standart
>Murcian
This one is different, their phonology is distinct, they don't pronounce the /s/ sound, have their shitton of local vocabulary and their own accent, still understandable thought.
>Andalusian
The most different probably, totally different phonology, their own words, expressions, and even the dialects vary in their own land, people from here went to latin america and spreaded the language, causing most of their distinct differences
>Extremaduran
Kind of mix of andalusian, murcian and castilian
>Canary
Similar to latin american spanish, some say it sounds venezuelan

These are also spoken in Spain but are distinct languages:

>Galician
Kind of mix of portuguese and spanish
>Catalan/valencian/majorcan
Their own language family, with their own dialects, differences and all that shit. Spanish speakers may understand some of it.
>Basque
Native language of basque/navarrese people, isolated with no relation with other languages, also have dialects and a standart
>>
>>65788112
So how do those languages survive in modern Spain?

Do you not have a national curriculum? Or are they all bilingual? Or is it like Canada where they have their own local identity for each language?
>>
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLKkDvkVu9W6qp84309ig-NRaPQo2uupLs

This list of TV adds for a number service has got caricatures of some of the most common Finnish dialects listed.

Of course they don't tell you much if you can't understand them, but you'll hear what they sound like.
>>
>>65788242
They survived because people kept speaking them. They became official in their autonomous regions after the fall of the dictatorship and since then they're not forbidden to talk and they're taught in schools and there are even some media in it.

They are bilingual, all of them know standart spanish, and the regional identity isn't based on language.

let's say that spain has tried many times to destroy all languages but castilian but failed, and now in 2016 there are regions with people speaking only spanish or spanish and the native language. despite they're not stinct they're clearly minorized
>>
>>65788427
WTF I didn't even know Spain was a dictaroship until the 70s.
>>
>>65788577
We were a dictatorship based on national-catholicism until the end of the 70's, spanish nationalism (using castilian culture for homogeneization) was the most intense ideological part of it
>>
Here's a good overview including some that are pretty much dead, like East Prussian and Silesian.
>>
File: 1433886916622.png (29KB, 479x522px) Image search: [Google]
1433886916622.png
29KB, 479x522px
>>65788960
I'm retarded and forgot the link

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUOeYcG0WyQ
>>
Qatari/UAE/Saudi dialect is like Boston accent. Egyptian is fast and sharp, alot like new york accent. And Lebanon is a sweet and flowery accent, like the french accent of the middle east? I don't know, it's hard to explain with such few words.
>>
File: 20110604_brm984_0.gif (54KB, 595x314px) Image search: [Google]
20110604_brm984_0.gif
54KB, 595x314px
>>65787198
Pic related is a comparison of the major dialect groupings in 1970 vs how they're predicted to change by 2030.

The main divide in England is between rhotic and non-rhotic accents, which is roughly a north/south divide (although many people in the southwest have rhotic accents too).
>>
>>65787198
> Standart Acanadian English
Asounds standart, like posho Eton talk.
> Ntario dialekt
Asound petty standart. Fluence of fird nation langwits. 90% of Acanadians spek this dialekt.
> Tooronto English
Same as Ntario, but slightly Talian and Estdian.
> Montrool English
Very gressive. Fluence of stinct Francist langwit on this dialekt from fore Qebek spek English.
> Berta English
Fort dialekt, fluence by oyel and gas. Spek with petrolum in gaw.
>>
>>65789039
So the richer you are the more snappy you sound?

>>65789066
S-south central is kill?

>>65789112
Wat
>>
Standard: I'm going to get drunk tonight, because my cousin is getting married.
Southern: I'm gon' get smashed tonight, cuz'n my cousin gettin' married.
Negro: I'mma be tippin 'a elbow tonigh', cuz' ma cousin ge'in' married.
>>
>>65789112
Fuckin eh rite
>>
>Haitian creole
>>
>>65789039
True, Saudis tend to have an East Coast accent like from the US and sometimes it sounds British.
>>
Eastern Finnish (Savo) is called a "dialect" even though it's the original finnish
>>
>>65791810
> Dominican Creole
>>
> Norway

Fuck, where do I even start?
>>
>>65789242
More or less
>>
We don't have prominent dialects since they all almost died out. There are two ethnolects in Poland though. Silesian and Kashubian. Silesian sounds funny and silly, a lot of loanwords from German even compared to standard Bolish and stereotypically Silesians talk very vigorously. Kashubian is some alien tongue from outer space. It looks and sounds like Polish on steroids but it's easier to understand Slovak than Kashubian.
>>
>>65787198
京都弁は少し女性的なことがあると思わないの?
>>
File: Languages_Benelux.png (215KB, 699x2737px) Image search: [Google]
Languages_Benelux.png
215KB, 699x2737px
>>65789066
Hollandic is standard stereotypical Dutch, but the city dialects of Holland are grating and are pretty much the worst thing in the world. Both their Gs and Rs are very harsh.

Brabantian is softer, a bit warmer, and has a different rythm. It's the standard dialect of Belgium. It's Gs are the softest outside of South African Dutch. They generally use Spanish rolling Rs.

Flemish has a bit of a French tinge to it, and it feels both overly formal and retarded at the same time, with silly words for pretty much anything. It's also needlessly slow, and they use the Spanish rolling Rs and Gs of medium harshness.

Limbourgish is very alien, it sounds like German, but is definitely still Dutch. It's stereo-typically considered the ugliest group of dialects by many, but tastes differ. Soft Gs.

Low Saxon Dutch is probably the most diverse, and it's a huge gradient that becomes more Low German-like the further northeast you go. It sounds like a farmer's language, but the town dialects feel a little antique. Generally use harsh, throaty Rs like French, and harsh Gs that become softer the further east you go.

Frisian is only partially mutually intelligible, and it sounds like they are trying to speak English and Danish at the same time. It's melodic, though. It has rolling Rs.

Pretty much all other dialects are somewhere between these. Like Zealandic, which is somewhere between Hollandic and West Flemish.
Thread posts: 37
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.