[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Do they actually use French in this region or is it just a muh

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 106
Thread images: 18

File: quebec.jpg (39KB, 418x328px) Image search: [Google]
quebec.jpg
39KB, 418x328px
Do they actually use French in this region or is it just a muh heritage novelty meme?

Do quenecs take pride in their language?
>>
>>54943966
>Do they actually use French in this region

They're forcing the whole country to publish official stuff in both language and to learn French for some jobs so yeah they use it
>>
File: Censusdivisions-ethnic.png (89KB, 1388x1214px) Image search: [Google]
Censusdivisions-ethnic.png
89KB, 1388x1214px
>mfw if Quebec were to actually separate they would lose a gigantic chunk of their clay because Natives are federalist.
>>
>>54944184
How the fuck is Canadian an ethnicity
>>
>>54944911
Those areas were all the earliest settled, take "Canadian" to mean "British, Irish, and French who have been here for the longest"
>>
>>54944911
>Says the guy that thinks muslim is a race
>>
>>54943966
>Do they actually use French
they go miles beyond that

language police, forcing us to put everything in english + french etc
>>
>>54944911
>>54944968

Also French-Canadians living along the St. Lawrence were the first to call themselves "Canadian" since they developed a culture and identity distinct from continental France
>>
>>54945022
>>54944968

Ok, so the English there are people who came to Canada after initial colonization, maybe mid-late Victorian age?
>>
>>54943966
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_of_Quebec#Languages
>>
File: USethnicities2.jpg (166KB, 950x707px) Image search: [Google]
USethnicities2.jpg
166KB, 950x707px
>>54944911
I imagine it's just like American.
>>
The québécois french speakers seem to use english as much as a french speaker from France does, but in a different way.

For instance, they tend to use more frenchified names (for instance while we have "STOP" signs, they have "ARRET", or they say "téléphone intelligent" for smartphones unlike in France).

But I've also heard that they sometimes use english words when they communicate, such as "date" for rendez-vous, as an example. But I guess a québécois would have to confirm that.
>>
>>54945090
The first major wave of Anglo immigrants were Loyalists fleeing from the US War of Independence. You also got a lot of immigrants coming from Scotland due to basically being kicked out so that their land could be used for farming (song related). The British encouraged Anglo immigration following the conquest of Quebec and revolutionary war in order to keep Canada secure from US invasion. Irish immigrants coming here because of the famine were another big wave.

After Confederation the government would basically accept anyone who would move out west and start farming, eventually people got racist and over time narrowed down the immigration requirements.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNS4u9b7U4U
>>
>>54945210
This doesn't make any fucking sense
>>
>>54943966
They're quite serious about it, lad.
>>
File: unibroue-la-fin-du-monde.jpg (34KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
unibroue-la-fin-du-monde.jpg
34KB, 800x600px
When you make the world's best beer, you can speak any language you like.
>>
>>54944976
>says the nigger who doesn't know the difference between the UK and US
>>
>>54943966
Yes, of course they speak French. It's the entire basis behind their distinctive identity claim.
>>
>>54945358
Why not?
>>
File: 1455135618880.png (207KB, 2000x1714px) Image search: [Google]
1455135618880.png
207KB, 2000x1714px
>>54943966
Are you serious?
Of course we speak 100% French.
We're closing down all english schools.
http://montreal.ctvnews.ca/anglophones-warned-english-school-boards-could-be-abolished-by-spring-1.2762750
It's illegal to have a sign in English here.
We take great pride in our language.
It can go as far as beating up or killing an anglophone for talking shit about us.
Yeah you read me right, personally I wouldn't take 25 (years) for an anglo but some of our people can go hard as fuck.
I'll take 6 months for beating one up any time though. Jail is like vacation.
Especially on our national holiday, the St-Jean-Baptiste, we get drunk and rowdy.
>>
>>54945300
>But I've also heard that they sometimes use english words when they communicate

Yeah this or they Frenchify English words, like parté from party instead of soirée or fête, chiller from to chill instead of relaxer/détendre etc
Also i've heard several use the word "joke" in a French sentence
>>
>>54945508
It's good, but it's not world's best beer good
>>
>>54945210

Why is Appalachia listed as "American"?

Wasn't it mostly Scotch-Irish?
>>
File: 2857923857.jpg (2MB, 2130x3030px) Image search: [Google]
2857923857.jpg
2MB, 2130x3030px
>>54945318
Here is a neat map of immigration, you can really see the west getting settled.
>>
>>54945824
>It's illegal to have a sign in English here.

That doesn't seem very tourist friendly desu
>>
>>54945970
Most rednecks and Southerners are Scots-Irish, or English.
They've been here the longest among whites, so they see themselves as Americans, as opposed to British.
>>
File: Saint-Eustache-Patriotes.jpg (946KB, 1566x1020px) Image search: [Google]
Saint-Eustache-Patriotes.jpg
946KB, 1566x1020px
>>54945318
Don't forget to mention La guerre des berceaux
After the failed rebellion of the patriots, we started breeding faster to make sure we weren't outnumbered by anglos
>>
>>54946103
He means it can't be only English
>>
>>54946103

Its a lie. Its illegal to have a sign only in English. It must be both and preferrably with French being bigger. Only French is accepted of course.
>>
>>54946103
We don't give a fuck about tourists.
It's all about our language.
>>
>>54946148
>we started breeding faster to make sure we weren't outnumbered by anglos
>Tfw no qt assigned by the government with orders to fuck to contribute to the war effort
>>
>>54946148
Mmm, Quebecois used to be good Catholics at one point
>>
>>54946130
I don't see what's wrong with seeing yourself as American
>>
File: Dog posing with pear.jpg (190KB, 519x497px) Image search: [Google]
Dog posing with pear.jpg
190KB, 519x497px
Retard here, couldn't find an answer on the interwebs. How are alcohol laws in Canada, Ontario to be specific? Do they sell wine/vodka in groceries or is it limited to beer only?

I'm thinking about visiting so I'd be glad if someone was able to answer.
>>
>>54946451
Wine is illegal in Canada.
>>
>>54946451
I don't know about Ontario but here you can buy wine and beer in grocery stores and in rural areas you can buy liquor (vodka etc) too
>>
I just refuse to believe quebecois are this delusional and autistic when it comes to French. They will never separate or join a union with France. They seem very try hard when it comes to being "French" based of what I've seen in this thread.

Why would they push that language so hard? Do they also have signs there in Inuit since they were there first? They should just use English like everyone else in the country and preserve the French culture for themselves and share it with people who want to experience and not force it down people's throats like Islamist do with their shit.

Yes I'm mad. I've seen nothing but shitty things about Quebec and I don't want them to be true.
>>
>>54946665
>join a union with France

Fuck that, France literally abandoned Quebec.
>>
>>54946665
>Why would they push that language so hard?
I wonder this about France as well. If a language/culture is so grand and superior, why does it need legal protection?
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (81KB, 1440x1080px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
81KB, 1440x1080px
>>54946665
>>
File: canada_booze.jpg (150KB, 800x641px) Image search: [Google]
canada_booze.jpg
150KB, 800x641px
>>54946568
Found pic related after some googling.

Most provinces seem to have laws that are as retarded as in Finland. fug
>>
>>54944911
Same fuckin way Mexican is
>>
File: sadpepefrog.png (96KB, 332x333px) Image search: [Google]
sadpepefrog.png
96KB, 332x333px
>>54946745
Quebec pls Annex
>>
>>54946848
>nunavut
>not liquor stores

It's probably for the best
>>
>>54943966
Yes, I am a very small part French-Canadian/Quebecois and my cousins are huge cunts about Quebec and speaking French. They take a lot of pride in it, despite all of them also speaking English.
>>
>>54946947
However unlike this dipshit>>54946665 I don't think they should stop speaking French as that is what they always spoke, and they only started with the language and culture preservation laws because they were afraid of getting assimilated by the Anglos. They aren't imposing their language and trying to reveive French language in the New World but rather are just defending how its been for 500 years
>>
>>54946947
Which state are you from? Are your cousins Quebecers or Americans?
>>
>>54945508
I prefer Maudite... but I agree with the French Frenchie who replied - good, but not top 0.1% good.
>>
>>54947050
I currently live in New York because of school, but my family lives in central Massachusetts. The cousins I am referring to live in Massachusetts as well but go to Canada so often that they might as well be Canadians, they even have citizenship and an odd accent. I do have Quebecois cousins but I haven't met them, I do not know why I never did meet them but I assume its due to some sort of family rift that only my cousins in Massachusetts cross.
>>
>>54947165
I'm moving to the Burlington, VT area soon, and I'm pretty excited to visit Quebec for the first time. Any tips?
>>
>>54946665
>They should just use English like everyone else in the country

doesn't work like that
>>
>>54947311
idk I've never gone beyond Montreal so I couldn't possibly give you good advice, I know there is a Qubecois guy who posts on int, he will probably look at this thread soon and give you tips.
>>
>>54946451
Just be over 19 and go to a liquor store
>>
>>54945824
>can go as far as beating up or killing an anglophone for talking shit about us. Yeah you read me right, personally I wouldn't take 25 (years) for an anglo but some of our people can go hard as fuck. I'll take 6 months for beating one up any time though. Jail is like vacation.

How old are you, this reeks of underage
>>
The courer de bois are pretty based historically imo
>>
>>54944184

>They had to include East Indian for a single division in Ontario

lmao'ing tbqh
>>
>>54947005
So... in school in Quebec, what do you learn language wise ?

I'm thinking French/English equally and then something like german or spanish?
>>
>>54945824
>Of course we speak 100% French.

Tell that to fucking Montreal where everyone is pretty much Anglo. Even the French they speak elsewhere in Quebec is full of Anglicisms and loanwords.
>>
>>54943966
They do use French, and it's indescribably obnoxious.
>>
File: 1403029384983.png (1002KB, 655x745px) Image search: [Google]
1403029384983.png
1002KB, 655x745px
>>54945824
>heh...nothing personal anglos

never happened m8. most Quebecois are decent and friendly enough. it's the ones on the internet that are irritating to be around.
anyway if Quebec was such hard shit they would never have voted 'no' to independence twice.
>>
>>54948454
>Tell that to fucking Montreal where everyone is pretty much Anglo
t. never been to Montreal beyond McGill/Downtown
>>
>>54948523
Quebec prostitutes might legit be the best prostitutes on planet earth. I will say that about Quebec.
>>
>>54948558
Literally every single place anyone would ever want to step foot in in Montreal is either anglo of bilingual with a heavy smew toward anglo.

No one wants to get stabbed by Haitians.
>>
File: 32985729375.jpg (49KB, 600x301px) Image search: [Google]
32985729375.jpg
49KB, 600x301px
>>54947679
Voyageurs too

>you will never row for hours a day with your bro, becoming ripped as shit
>you will never stop for the night and eat a delicious stew while singing and telling stories to your mates
>you will never transport furs to afford nights of drunken debauchery in small towns
>you will never have bastard children scattered all over the country
>tfw no carefree voyageur life

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUHmPPPWlgY
>>
>>54948644
>Literally every single place anyone would ever want to step foot in in Montreal
Yes, clearly you're an expert who knows all about the different neighborhoods of Montreal, and not just an Anglo who stayed isolated in his little McGill ghetto. Clearly you know way more than I do, after all it's only the city in which I've lived my entire life.

Sarcasm aside, it takes 2 fucking seconds with Google or Wikipedia to find the demographics of Montreal and avoid looking like a complete fucking clueless retard. Montreal is way more francophone than it is anglophone.
>>
>>54948728
Why don't Montrealers speak English with a French accent? Most sound like they could be from Ontario.
>>
>>54948771
If you grow up totally bilingual you won't have much of an accent either way.
>>
>>54948771
Many do speak with a Quebecois accent, it depends on their background and what part they're from. Also depending on their profession they might be more exposed to English.
>>
>>54948728
I painted Montreal red probably before you were even born. I know the city well. Francophone areas are shitholes filled with niggers and there's no reason to go to them unless you need drugs or a cheap lay.
>>
>>54948403
I wasn't born in quebec, I merely have Quebec descent and have a lot of Quebecois cousins because of it. I don't even speak French, I could probably understand more Polish than French.
>>
>>54948807
>I know the city well.
You clearly don't. Like I said, you probably just stayed isolated in your little McGill ghetto.
>>
>>54948862
I already told you there's a need to buy coke and women from time to time..
>>
>>54948932
epik meemee /b/ro :P xD
>>
>quebec will never conquer maine

Please take us. MUH heritage is already French Canadian and I can sort of speak it. Quebec girls are best girls.
>>
>>54948977
Define "sort of"
>>
>>54948995
I can get buy easily and get directions and shit. I can order a beer. I'm not however about to watch a movie or talk about economics.
>>
>>54948965
>implying canada's second city is relevant enough to have meme's about it
>>
>>54948846
I see.
>>
Quebec and Lands East = Based Canada
Ontario and Lands West = Rightful U.S. Clay
>>
>>54949063
that's a good start, though you might have a hard time with the local dialect initially it means that you should be able to improve fairly easily if you have enough immersion

I've known a few international students who spoke decent French but weren't particularly advanced before coming here, and while they all had great difficulty the first couple of weeks because of the dialect, every single one of them was able to learn to understand eventually.
>>
>>54948846
Leave this board and never come back.
>>
>>54949096
This. But desu I'd rather everything west of Quebec be nuked.
>>
>>54949063
>>54949115
Also, if ever you're struggling people will have no issue with switching to a more "neutral" dialect when they see you struggling to understand, many will probably also switch to English or offer to switch to English though, but if you want to get better I would recommend insisting on speaking French (and, assuming you're conversing with francophones and not anglophones/immigrants, this will get you very positive responses, we're quite autistic about language and when we see foreigners really genuinely care about language it generally makes people here very happy, even if you're still learning and struggling with the language).
>>
>>54944184
It's irrelevant clay though, nobody but natives lives there
>>
>>54949193
I just start speaking in English with no attempts to speak French. It really pisses them off.
>>
>>54943966
25% of Canadians are ethnically French. A substantial amount of them speak French as a first language.
>>
>>54949286
More like 15%.
>>
I'm interested in learning Quebecois, can any Canadian give me an opinion about their french "version"? (not meant to be offensive with the word version, by the way)
>>
>>54949493
Get really drunk, forget a couple tenses exist, and throw in a word of English every three sentences.

Congrats, you now speak the Quebecois dialect.
>>
>>54949493
The average Canadian knows little to no French, there's no point asking them. There's also little to no point in asking Québécois because naturally you'll get biased responses.

You're better off asking in /fr/ or something to that effect.
>>
>>54949119
?
>>
File: ohfug.jpg (95KB, 444x444px) Image search: [Google]
ohfug.jpg
95KB, 444x444px
>>54946752
>If a language/culture is so grand and superior, why does it need legal protection?

oh fug
>>
>>54949548
You are basically describing my learning experience with German (starting with Das words felt like a waste of time, since one out of three words was borrowed from english, and another one from french).

>>54949574
Actually I like those "biased" responses. The amount of pride someone shows when talking about something he/she obviously likes is something I enjoy reading, it can say a lot.
>>
>>54946848
BC changed liquor laws in the last year or so and so this image is outdated. Some things are still in transition, like grocers will be able to sell some alcoholic drinks now or soon.
>>
>>54949694
well, in that case, my opinion is the following:

It's very unique in terms of syntax/grammar, there's a lot of features which, from a purely objective linguistic standpoint, are very interesting. For example, the way to form interrogative phrases in Quebec French is really neat. There's also a fuckton of archaic language, and so if you're into language history and etymology, it's really cool for that. Personally those are my favorite aspects, I really just get a huge kick out of taking random everyday language, and analyzing it, and chances are you'll find interesting stuff.

As far as pronounciation, people here typically have the following opinion: "Quebec French sounds better on men, because it's not effeminate like metropolitan French, but metropolitan French sounds much classier and thus is better on women". I'm not a fan of the overly nasal vowels, or of the slight anglo influence in some of the sounds (for exemple, the letter 'r'), but it's not so bad. One thing I can say for sure is that our pronounciation is way more expressive. Standard French vowels all sound the exact fucking same, but in Quebec each vowel is very distinct from the next.

I think my least favorite aspect of Quebec French is the anglicisms, though you also get plenty of those in metropolitan French, but somehow it feels like anglicisms in France aren't so bad as they are here. That being said the extent of anglicisms is quite exagerated in Quebec French, people make it sound like it's some sort of English-French creole while it's nothing even close to that, it's just that you'll definitely hear many anglicisms in everyday speech.
>>
>>54946665
Yeah you're right, who cares about immigrants adopting our culture and language? Let's just keep it to ourselves and let it be replaced by foreigners.

Seriously though, we don't force it on anyone. If you go live in France, you speak French. If you go live in England you speak English. Same here, if you come to Quebec, speak French, if you want to speak English and go to a heathen Protestant church then the Anglo Canadians will be happy to welcome someone not named huan chi suong.

And there are road signs in native languages in the territories and in BC too I think.
>>
>>54949916
This was the kind of post I needed, Anon, thank you very much.

And it kind of confirms the reasons why I want to learn Quebecois, actually. I'm crazy for this "language history" kind of thing. I just hope I can manage to find enough resources online for Quebecois.
>>
>>54949916
>people make it sound like it's some sort of English-French creole

Aren't there regions, not in Quebec but the other French speaking province, that actually are like that, though?

I think in New Brunswick, and there was a specific name for it
>>
File: wojak_guntohead.jpg (14KB, 385x387px) Image search: [Google]
wojak_guntohead.jpg
14KB, 385x387px
>>54944184
>I live in the one region labeled east indian
JUST SHIT MY STREETS UP
>>
File: 1409366227297.jpg (16KB, 292x275px) Image search: [Google]
1409366227297.jpg
16KB, 292x275px
>>54943966
>tfw going to Quebec City in the spring solo travelling
>excited because I love hearing people speak French
>nervous as fuck because my spoken French is just barely fucking passable even though my schooling (kindergarten to grade 12) was in French
>>
>>54945824

>Jail is like vacation.

Yeah, especially with the shit conditions you fucking apes set yourselves up with. Literally no one likes Quebec.
>>
>>54943966
>Do they actually use French in this region?
They use it primarily to scam funds from the rest of Canada.
Probably the biggest group of parasites in the Western world.
>>
File: Inuktitut.jpg (324KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
Inuktitut.jpg
324KB, 1024x768px
>>54946665

Actually we do where inuits live.
>>
>>54954584
even the actual french don't bother with arreter m8, they just use stop like the rest of the world
>>
>>54949916

The anglicisms in French are much worse because they just sound so fucking jarring. Ours blend in very well just because of how our language and accents sound. But when a Frenchman uses an English word he might as well sound a horn screaming THIS WORD BE ENGLISH cause damn.

>>54949694

That aside, our language is very interesting as the quoted anon as said. A cool thing about it is that our dialect actually has more phonemes than the French of France.

The way to ask questions to someone in Quebec French as he said is cool, because we tend to double the pronoun then. In Europe they'd they "Veux-tu un café?", here we'd say "Tu veux-tu un café?", although that is almost exclusively used with the 2nd person singular, less often with the 2nd person plural, never with the others.

Another interesting tidbit is that a ton of our words stem from the very important place the sea and sailing had in early Quebec history. For instance instead of saying "monter" and "descendre" of a car (Get in and get out) we'd use "embarquer" and "debarquer" (embark and disembark), which are terms usually used when getting in or off a boat. We also say things like "une bordée de neige" to mean a snowfall, bordée being the line of cannons on warships (and their firing). Things like that.

Nifty.
>>
>>54954768
Very interesting
Thread posts: 106
Thread images: 18

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.