[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Where did the american accent come from? Why don't they

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 3

File: usa-erosion-of-freedom.jpg (88KB, 700x467px) Image search: [Google]
usa-erosion-of-freedom.jpg
88KB, 700x467px
Where did the american accent come from? Why don't they speak like the British. Aren't they literally Brits who wanted independence? Why did they suddenly started talking differently?
>>
It's an amalgamation of all the European people who immigrated here

That said, there's still numerous regional accents. I'm glad we don't have those chav accents though; they are horrid on the ears.
>>
>>53549588
Souf Baaahhhstin is our version of chavspeak desu.
>>
>>53549588
Chav accents? Southern US accents are your trashy ones.
>>
>>53549588
Wrong, dude

Our accents are closer to how Brits used to speak back in colonial times

The hipster Brits changed
>>
>>53549703
I'd sooner trust someone with a southern accent than someone with an accent like >>53549648
>>
>>53549703
Some, but generally Ebonics is the most trashy

There's some classy quite nice southern accents
>>
>>53549703
eh, depends who is speaking. Redneck southern is awful probably the worse, but an aristocratic southern accent is beauty to the ear
>>
It depends on the region. In the Northeast its just an evolution of the English accent of the time but unlike in Britian it didn't go (Mostly) non-rhotic. I don't know how the south happened. In the Midwest its a mix of the already established Northern accent and then some immigrant accents. In the West its a mix of all of the accents.

Before some fuckhead brits get butthurt, when i say its a natural evolution of the English accent at the time, I do not mean its close to Elizibethan English.
>>
>>53549811
The typical 'southern' accent is kind of like ebonics in that it developed in a closed system. This system was formed due to the large distance between communities formed by an agrarian lifestyle with the significant land provided by expansion. Similar to ebonics, it's come to a point where the bastardizations of english that were slang at the time are now part of the common vernacular.
>>
>>53549728
lol
>>
>>53549811
Thank Allah we don't have non-rhoticism

fuckers don't know how childlike they sound doing that
>>
>>53549528
The American accent comes from the original accent the colonists had. Our accent has changed very little over 200+ years, however, the British accent has changed quite a bit. So now there is a large variance, unless you talk to someone from parts of london, sometimes I can't tell if they are from the new england area or just a really like english accent.
>>
>>53549728
This isn't too far off. Obviously both have changed a lot but British regional accents are more or less as they've always been, but RP is a recent invention. Compare British and American newscasters from the 20s to 40s. Very similar.
>>
Also the reason Americans sound retarded is because they have no short vowel sounds. That's the main difference between the two.
>>
>>53549528
>Where did the american accent come from?
It's what Jesus sounds like irl.
>>
>suddenly
That's not how it works.
>>
Some folks are born made to speak differently.
>>
>>53549528
This happens to every country that splits from their mother country.
>>
File: 1325173634377.png (444KB, 792x720px) Image search: [Google]
1325173634377.png
444KB, 792x720px
>>53549528
There's a few regions in the UK, and Ireland, that have an accent that sounds much more like the American accent, so probably, the accent evolved from those regions?

I'm not sure what you mean OP, accents diverge over time, and we've been separated by an ocean for at least 300 years

It's actually pretty amazing how similar the accents are still
>>
>independent country for however many years
>still no american language
>>
>>53549802
>aristocratic southern
>>
>>53549528
You assume that British accents haven't changed. The modern English accent is basically a meme that started among the aristocracy a few centuries ago.
>>
>>53553369
>The modern English accent
You're referring to RP and it's barely spoken by anyone in England.
>>
>>53551117
That was probably Mid-Atlantic English. A shame it is virtually extinct now.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mid-Atlantic_accent
>>
>>53549528
The American accent, particularly the Southern accent was inherited from the way Brits spoke at the time. Right down to American/Southern colloquialisms like "Fixing to ~" etc. Standard British English has evolved a lot more than American has.

The Australian accent strongly resembles the cockney accent, only it's less clipped and annunciated, and more drawled. Apparently the first generation of Australians born here developed the accent and it hasn't changed much since.
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.