[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What did your grandparents tell you about their experiences during

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 71
Thread images: 12

File: world-war-ii-special-512.jpg (165KB, 512x512px) Image search: [Google]
world-war-ii-special-512.jpg
165KB, 512x512px
What did your grandparents tell you about their experiences during the Second World War?

My grandparents on Dad's side were both teenagers at the time who lived on the same street near Manchester. Air raids were common for a time. A bomb exploded near my grandma and destroyed the house next to hers, killing two of her neighbours. Don't know much of my grandparents' experiences on Mum's side but the grandfather hung out in Gibraltar for a bit after the war as part of National Service.
>>
>>53428347
me grandfather killed a nazi with his bare hands after they fell in a well
>>
My grandfather was an evacuee.
>>
>>53428347
my blessed granpapa always sayin about the war. He was workin and workin planting seeds for the french and the blessed germans, killing heretic jews. when he was dyin he told me to never trust the french and never take money from the jews because it is FILTHY HEATHEN TAX MONEY e. I am still followin his advices today and livin a fullfilling and poor life.RIP granpapy Baba bless
>>
>>53428347
my grandparent was about to get shot by Germans but they were drunk and released him accidentally
>>
>>53428347
It was awfull. My grandpa commanded mortar detachment at Stalingrad. Detachment was consist of central asian soldiers and they were very bad and stupid fighters
>>
>>53428557
rareflag.jpg
>>
My grandfather died in Okinawa.
I heard he was a artillery.
>>
>>53428651
Also he was wounded when raising his arm to command attack (german soldier was aiming to his head).
>>
>>53428347
My grandfather was dropped off a horse on his way to Porto Alegre and broke his arm. He got to play flute for the army instead.
>>
>>53428557
rare
>>
File: semite rubbing.jpg (19KB, 395x361px) Image search: [Google]
semite rubbing.jpg
19KB, 395x361px
they were living peacefully in baghdad far away from war
>>
>>53428347
One grandfather spent 4 years in Stalag 8b or G working as a slave miner. He was built for it being a waterboard worker who had dug a lot of holes but the officers that got sent there were worked to death in weeks as they weren't strong enough. He was captured after only a few weeks in combat in North Africa along with a lot of his regiment when Rommel over ran their positions with tanks. My other grandad was a medic who went to Malta and then the Italian campaign. I also have a relative who is was the next door neighbours kid during WW2 and their parents were both killed in an air raid so she lived with the family. After the war they were so poor the children had to drink from jam jars and the area had so few houses left for all the people coming home that kids would live with neighbours so girls and boys could be separated into groups of age and sex to make life easier. When i was a kid (old fag) there was a servicemans home on the way to school and there were always a lot of old boys sitting on the wall smoking with limbs missing, faces messed up etc. Back in the 90s I had a neighbour who was very old and served in the merchant navy, he was sunk off west Africa on way to Perth and was picked up with others from a beach after nearly a month, taken to Jo'burg and sunk again on the way there and got picked up in a liferaft.
>>
File: 1452293172617.jpg (756KB, 1434x680px) Image search: [Google]
1452293172617.jpg
756KB, 1434x680px
>>53428347
My Grandfathers brother was a nazi officer in Lithuania he got killed by the soviets. Poor fella was only 18 years old
>>
>>53429062
>I
nice blog
>>
My grandma was young, so and all her village had to work in a meadow to clear the airfield for luftwaffe. She also remember awful smell of Jews in the morning.
>>
None of my grand grandfathers survived long enough to tell me anything but i know that my grand grandmother was in the kurland pocket and just by chance, was put on a destroyer instead of the gustloff
>>
>>53428347

My grandpa was a young teenager. He told me that one time a british spitfire shot at him and his sister when they were riding their bikes. He's italian though.

My grand aunt from the german side of the family told me about the bombings of Berlin and that she was stealing food because my grandma was starving.
>>
Never talked about the war. Great grandfather on fathers side of the family was a pilot in the luftwaffle. Grandparents on mothers side both displaced after the war (sudetendeutschland and poland) grandfather was also captured in war (pretty young by then and i don't know why)
>>
>>53428347
One of my grandfathers died when my father was six. My father can remember one thing he said to him directly.
“I was in my tank (in Estonia) and my gunner turned to me and asked: “Konrad, we have raped around 20 women, some of them after shooting their men, we have killed around 2 villages worth of people, innocent civilians, just with our handguns. We just executed five farmers with a tank grenade... Konrad... what if we lose this war?“ “...We cant.““
They deserted later and walked back to Germany where they hid until 1948.
>>
There were nazis living around, they were nice and polite and everything. Never hurt anyone. Unlike pig dog americans.
>>
File: asdasd.jpg (44KB, 500x555px) Image search: [Google]
asdasd.jpg
44KB, 500x555px
My grandfather was a Bren gunner and went ashore in Normandy. The most notable thing he did was convince a group of surrounded German soldiers to surrender their position in a house. He did this by walking out into the open with his hands up and promising that they could come one at a time with one rifle aimed at him in case the bullets started flying. They believed him and he shared cigarettes after. He was 19 at the time and the Germans were 18-19 as well. Had his broken German language skills not been good enough it could have gone very differently
>>
At the end of the war my 12 years old Grandfather was drafted and sent to the front lines in France. When he arrived there the German troops were already suffering heavy losses and maintained poor supply lines. He had to dig trenches and carry ammunition but soon enough he and the other kids were sent home. On the day of his departure the station was targeted by Allied artillery. His train got hit and he saw his Kameraden burn to death. The survivors regrouped and somehow got back to Germany where my Great-Grandmother swore to never let him go away again
>>
My great grandfather was fighting the Japs in south east Asia, all I know is that he fought hand to hand against them in the jungle. We still have his medals, and I am named after him. He ended up drinking away his memories and shot himself.

My stepdad's father was a child in rural northern Italy during the war, all I know is that when they saw Nazis or Allied bombers, they had to run and hide in the field. The family eventually immigrated to Aus, and he worked on the snowy river hydro scheme, and the port Kembla steel works in Wollongong, where he still lives.
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (22KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
22KB, 480x360px
>>53429479
>come here to post memes at German/Japanese experiences during the war
>read this shit
>a nation so desperate it resorts to child soldiers
>terrified kids watching people burn to death in front of them
>explosive death raining from the sky
>against all odds make it home
>make it back to the love of a woman with whom you will raise a family

F
>>
My grand pappy killed fiddy men
>>
>>53428557

oh, so rare.
>>
>>53428557
Oy vey, lies ! you can trust da French people !
>>
>>53429922
1. That is a re-enactor
2. They never used child soldiers for frontline duties. Kids were used for off-frontline duties like luftschutz and flak (as well as women). They saw frontline action when the allies (soviets) basically reached their fire station or their flak tower and they had no time to retreat or no place to retreat to.

In post-war propaganda people make it sound like the Germans stook rifles in the hands of small kids and sent them to the front.
>>
Ruskies animals, they could kill you for your handwatch, they were raping everything what was moving Including Cuckoo Clock, they were stealing cows, swines, art, industry machines and electric cables from the walls in fabric
>>
>>53430124
I have read that the submariners towards the end of the war were often young teenagers and had very short life expectancies.
I have also seen Germans on downplay the importance of D-Day by claiming Russia took on the German men, while the Normandy allies were fighting children and old men in France.

America did some home defense with youths sometimes. The Boyssouts played a role in WWII and the Civil Air Patrol had very young members.
>>
My grandpas killed tons of filthy Commies during our war. :)
>>
>not having grandparents who fought in WWII

UNDERAGED LEAVE
>>
>>53430179
funny, my grandpas were children in the us-occupation zone and they have similar stories about american soldiers:

at day they were nice and would give you chocolate and at night they got drunk and then left their camps and bases to steal, rob and rape.
>>
Mine was a bomber pilot. He bombed oil refineries in eastern Europe
>>
>>53430645
Grandma birthed when she was around 20, mother the same. Grandma and grandpa are apporaching 70 and were both in vietnam but not wwii
>>
>>53430645
>Having children late in life
Enjoy having to deal with down syndrome

Older of my grandpas was 12 when war ended.
I dont think he did anything, other than maybe throwing some rocks
>>
>>53430745
>rape

That's what your grandparents say to cover up the fact that their women would throw themselves at soldiers
>>
>>53430645

We weren't in the war m8
>>
>>53430745
Well american raped atleast 10k womens during liberation of theri France ally :-^)

but ruskies were on a different level, for example when soviet army was going back to motherland through Poland before them there were thousands of cows and swine stolen from east europe.

Why would any army stole fucking swines and cows?
>>
that Germans surprisingly treated them nice tho they also seen plenty of executions
Germs even shot random innocent children on streets xD
>>
My grandad was a bloody Quaker, so got away with being a conscientious objecter
>>
File: PT-19.jpg (179KB, 1100x697px) Image search: [Google]
PT-19.jpg
179KB, 1100x697px
>>53430645
At 31 I'm probably the oldest person ITT and all of my grandparents were too young to be in WWII. My father and his brother were in Vietnam, my grandfather tried to go to Korea but was 4F.
I did have great grandparents in WWII, but other than what branch of service they were in I don't know anything about them. One of them was a pilot during the war, latee died in the early 1950s or late 40s when he was like 27. He was teaching someone else how to fly and during a mock "forced landing" procedure the plane stalled, crashed onto the runway at Lomita airstrip, killing them both. It was a Fairchild p-19 (pic) military training plane. My grandma was 2 at the time.
Really fucked up thing is that 4 years later when my grandma was 6 her mom also died in another plane crash on her way to Vegas with some friends.
>>
File: germanHeritage.jpg (103KB, 577x1024px) Image search: [Google]
germanHeritage.jpg
103KB, 577x1024px
Germany army on their finest, slaughtered 40-50k civilians in 7days.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wola_massacre
>>
>>53428347
Dad's dad (english) landed on sword beach on D-day and fought over europe afterwards, killed many nazis and never really talked about it. He was also in the occupying forces of india after the war and during their nonviolent revolution etc.

Mum's dad (australian) fought in New Guinea, especially bougainville as an artillery director. Not sure if he ever personally shot any japs but he saw some shit.
>>
my great uncle fought as a gunner on the USS HORNET during the battle of midway
>>
>there are always asshurt poles in these threads
Why is this? Why can i have a drink with french, brits, russians and burgers but poles always keep on crying?
>>
File: Estonian SS with kitten.jpg (161KB, 800x596px) Image search: [Google]
Estonian SS with kitten.jpg
161KB, 800x596px
>>53428347
They were fighting commies
>>
My grandpa was pulled from school when he was 14 to assist in the frontlines in the Winter War. In the Continuation War, he was in artillery. He saw some of his comrades-in-arms get blown up by enemy artillery fire. He shot artillery fire at Soviets and surely killed a few.

My other grandpa was doing engineering and tech stuff. Don't really know the details.

Finn here btw.
>>
>>53428347
They're too young to tell me anything about it really, except my grandma was deported to Siberia.
>>
Mine on my dad's side were living in England and were in the bombing of Britain. My grandma didn't like to talk about it.
On my moms side my grandma served in the Navy, in support roles obviously
>>
Grandfather got some candy from a german soldier he also said russians were bydlo

he also saw a russian soldier being killed by his officer

didn't really asked him much about it
>>
>>53428347
I wish he lived to tell me something...
>>
My grandmother used to tell me about her time in Antwerp during the occupation.

What stood out to me was how she told favourable stories about the Wehrmacht soldiers. They'd be friendly and even organised (once or multiple times) a neighborhood barbecue.
She told this was in stark contrast with the SS soldiers, who kept to themselves and were rude when spoken to.
>>
How come every story itt is made up. Is this a new ruse you people are on?
>>
>>53432966
>a russian soldier being killed by his officer
why would he
>>
My grandfather was a resistance fighter. He took part in several small fights but he never went into detail because he always said that war is horrible and he didn't want to remember the people he killed. His brother(who was also a resistance fighter) was publicly executed by the Germans to scare the guerillas. My grandpa died a few years ago and among the things he left me was an MP40 that he'd stolen from a dead German. The magazine is missing though :(
>>
File: the white death.jpg (410KB, 1216x1241px) Image search: [Google]
the white death.jpg
410KB, 1216x1241px
>>53428347
one was a truck driver in continuation war
another fought in winter and continuation war and got hit by artillery grenade in Viipuri but survived
>>
>>53433869
Not running directly into an MG-42 going full blast
>>
>>53429211
>awful smell of Jews in the morning.
underrated
>>
My grandfather was in denistry school when the war started for the United States.

The army and navy came into one of his dentistry classes and split the room down the middle. They said that one half of the room was now army and the other half would be navy. They also forced the universities to speed up their Doctorate programs so that they would graduate in 2 years.

My grandfather became a dentist for the navy and was assigned to be a dentist aboard a ship. At some point in time during his training he met with some airborne guys who were training at the same base he was at and he convinced them to let him do their para-trooping training with them. He completed the training and unbeknownst to him was given hazard pay from then on. He intended to just go with the airborne guys so he could learn to parachute and didn't realize that anyone would keep a record that he completed the training. As a result he became the only flying dentist in the United States military and one of very few navy men ever trained for paratrooping.

He also learned later that since he was now a trained airborne guy he would be part of the airborne dropped into Japan if a land invasion was ever needed. My Uncle actually has the paperwork showing what glider he would be assigned to.
>>
>>53434244
>he magazine is missing though
get one
>>
File: 1447692698497.png (2MB, 1500x999px) Image search: [Google]
1447692698497.png
2MB, 1500x999px
Blueberry farmer was drafted, ended up being a bombadier or navigator under RAF command. Got shot down early, put in POW camp, said it was awful and abusive but not any worse than what allied forces did in our camps so accepted it as just a reality of the war

Hated the oversaturation and glamorization of WW2 in the media

Even though I'm anti-war I don't blame him for anything, soldiers were all victims of the war on all sides.
>>
>>53428347
grandfather and my great uncle ended up serving on the same ship but didn't realise until they met at my parents wedding like 50 years later. they were both junior officers too, my uncle ended up the senior officer on a destroyer when a U-boat attacked and the bridge officers ended up dead or wounded, then when they got back to port for repairs my granddad was his relief.

a few family friends etc. were paras, but they always refused to talk about what they did despite having medals and fuck knows what else.

after the war another uncle got a medal for shooting a crazy nog with a machete who'd just killed a few people in kenya during the uprising there. there's probably other stuff too but i can't remember right now.
>>
>>53428347
my great grandfather snitched on his jewish neighbours, he then bought their houses for a cheap price, kept the houses after the war, became a landlord, got rich, invested in various businesses and got very rich. His used to collect ashtrays.
>>
>>53434769
>blueberry farmer

Maine?
>>
>>53435130
I dont know who the real jew is
>>
>>53435478
Yes hello

Get regional flags plugin, I have the state flag
>>
>>53428347
it was a lot of unexpected revenues and new blond immigrants in the blink of an eye...somehow
To this day we still don't know
>>
>>53430645
>having who not
>>
>>53430645
That doesnt even make any sense
My grandpa was a SS officer
He left his stuff in Berlin when he escaped
Thread posts: 71
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.