[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Language of the Educated

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

File: SMRT.jpg (18KB, 500x334px) Image search: [Google]
SMRT.jpg
18KB, 500x334px
What languages are intelligent people learning across the world? I'm talking about say College students or such who are truly learning the language, not some Portuguese fuck who flunked out of high school and knows a bit of English.
If its English, then whats the 2nd most studied language in the world? Mandarin, French, Spanish, Japanese?
>>
I hear of lots of people here in Britain going to uni to do Mandarin or Spanish.
>>
>>53160956
Nearly every STEM dude and Bio* gal were learning Japanese in my university
>>
An English major friend of mine has been studying Italian, cause she believes it to be such a beautiful language
>>
>>53160956
English but only as a requeriment to graduate (passing an exam)

Almost no one here could produce, utter some sentences in coherent english even If their lives depended on it.
>>
toki pona
>>
>>53161162
That's because they are weeboos.
>>53160956
Mostly people here either speak french or english, Tho the later is standard and most people speak both.
>>
>>53161162
but that's retarded

every stemtard here learns technical russian or german because that's where the real wealth of knowledge is
>>
>>53161929
>That's because they are weeboos.

actually, weeaboos were practically nonexistent
>>
Dutch is a very intelligent language I swear.
>>
>>53160956
I'm learning Farsi for fun. I already speak English (obviously), Polish, Russian and French.
>>
>>53160956
1. J'ai appris le français, ce qui ne m'a aidé en rien pour devenir plus intelligent

2. Ich hab Deutsch gelernt, was mir auch gar nicht beim Klugwerden geholfen hat.

I did these two things because I like langauge, not because I wanted to be a smartypants or seem educated or more intelligent. As an English speaker, I would've been able to get by most places for the rest of my life without learning another langauge.
>>
>>53162667
probably if you people would share it and not be cunts
>>
File: 23489slkdfjsi2-32847.jpg (71KB, 500x650px) Image search: [Google]
23489slkdfjsi2-32847.jpg
71KB, 500x650px
If we're being honest, it would be French. For some reason many institutions still hold French in very high esteem. For example, it's funny to see a committee at the UN full of non-Francophones who are compelled to speak in French. For whom, I don't know. Most francophone countries are impoverished.

Let's examine the other contenders:

>German
Possibly if you are STEM

>Japanese
No educated audience, except maybe a few Chinese, would go for it.

>Mandarin
It's a fad language, if you're doing it to work in business or international relations, the people you'd deal with would be near-fluent in English.

>Spanish
Correct me if I'm wrong - but Spain seems to be a fun "getaway" for many Europeans, so they gravitate towards Castilian. Practically speaking, most Spanish speakers are China-tier, i.e. you wouldn't engage with most of them in a professional sense.
>>
>>53161577
I would die of laughter to read a scientific treatise in Toki Pona.
>>
Your mom's dick lol
>>
>>53162623
Of course they are

There is no reason to learn japanese outside of wanting to become able to read manga, light novels, watch anime, listen to shitty pop music or fansubbing all that shit.
>>
>>53163087
>you wouldn't engage with most of them in a professional sense.
Maybe not there or with everyday people, but not here with businessmen or politicians

Nobody speaks english here for good (unless they had been raised in an anglophone country), so of course they need it to engage in business or political activities in this part of the world. At least you need an hispanic "american" fluent in both english and spanish to fill the post.

Some of these countries are "pursuing" fluency in english, though.

I say pursuing between quotation marks since the governments are only making half assed efforts to turn their citizens into bilinguals.

Even your ambassador has to know spanish (knows spanish)
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.