[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

When sending an art director or client multiple thumbnails to

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

When sending an art director or client multiple thumbnails to choose from, do you give your opinion and/or preference? or is it considered rude?

current art director usually has multiple ideas for an image and wants me to sketch them out, but usually ends up choosing the one i like the least. yes I try to make all the thumbnails i send something I'd like to paint
>>
There's a reason you're not the director, you're just there to provide the work. Whether or not you like it is irrelevant. If you're on good terms though, you could give your opinion, but it's clear that you're not.
>>
>>3136717
>There's a reason you're not the director, you're just there to provide the work. Whether or not you like it is irrelevant. If you're on good terms though, you could give your opinion, but it's clear that you're not.

lol we're on very good terms~ but i want to be polite still and was curious if there's a general consensus on this topic.
>>
>>3136711
I feel like that could be a matter of your personality. If you have a good personality and your art is good then you could slip it in like casual conversation with your client. But I dont know you as a real person so I couldnt tell if you have that or not. I suppose charisma would be the word for it.
>>
>>3136711
From my experience, I learned that I'm simply there to provide work not opinions, I switched from focusing on creativity and what liked to focusing what the client may envision. If there's room or opportunity for you to ever speak up then do it, otherwise constant rejection may stunt your work motivation and it feels bad man.
>>
>>3136720
Just do the work, let them handle the decision making process, its their job / money. If you want to know /why/ they chose a particular thumbnail then ask them. DON'T try to tell them that their choice is wrong.
>>
The solution is simple.

Do not offer your opinion or preference at the beginning, but start a dialogue:

"Hey, X, I'm really interested in knowing more in your selection process for the final design. Could you tell me a little more about it? Next time, I might be able to deliver concepts that would fit better with your criteria."

This is a good way to start a dialogue. You get the other person provide input first. and it's in a flattering way, that won't offend anybody.

1) The art director might judge your work on criteria you might not be aware of (maybe your work is used in a specific way (maybe have printed text on top?) and some of your better designs just won't work. Knowing his decision process will help you get better results.
2) The art director just might be better, and what you like might, design-wise, not be as good. In this case you might learn something.
3) The art director might be not be as good as you. This way you open a dialogue, and you can offer suggestions without damaging his ego. you can say "hmmm, X is interesting, but have you maybe considered that picking design Y will provide better result because of Z?"
>>
>>3136773
>3) The art director might be not be as good as you. This way you open a dialogue, and you can offer suggestions without damaging his ego. you can say "hmmm, X is interesting, but have you maybe considered that picking design Y will provide better result because of Z?"

thanks!
i think we are around the same level, with our strengths and weaknesses in different areas, so it's difficult to tell.

they have made changes that my
professional art friends said weren't good, but again, i don't know if it's my place to give my opinion, even if i word it like you did in number 3.
>>
Happens literally everytime and to everybody.
Clients always choose the one you like the least.
>>
>>3136913
But why? Do they have an eye for which one stands out the least? Is it because their imagination fills in the details if it's rougher as a result of less work put in? That's impressive really.
>>
>>3136783
>we're about the same level
he's better
>>
I can't say I have a lot of experience, but I'm always shocked at how even clients who have experience and skills themselves misread my thumbnails. It's the most hurtful when they think the worst thumbnails have this mystical potential I know they don't, because I know I'm going to let down where they think that thing can go with my skills at the helm.

But I think the thumbnails I like the best I like for the same reason. They're the ones I can most strongly see myself making a great piece from. They speak to me not necessarily based on the strength of the thumbnail itself, but based on the kind of fun and finished product I think they're going to make. I'm not sure if I were looking at them objectively from someone else's pov I would prefer my favorites.
>>
>>3136913
It's a mystery, propably a curse or something..
Well, you can try and cheat your client a bit, for example, after you're done, pick the one you like the least and introduce some technical mistakes to the work.
It's incredibly dishonest and a shit move so use at your own risk.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.