[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

File: CommieDrawingBook.jpg (22KB, 260x314px) Image search: [Google]
CommieDrawingBook.jpg
22KB, 260x314px
Is this book just a garbage meme?

The idea of "shutting off your left side of your brain" sounds like new-age nonsense to me.

Is this book, or another one that seems similar called "Key to Drawing", really worth wasting money on? Is there another book teaching concrete ideas and theory of what drawing and painting is and how to approach it that isn't written by a bunch of democrat sjw love hippies?
>>
>>3135069
Don't know about this one, heard it's shit, but I know that Keys to drawing is a pretty good introduction to drawing if you still don't quite know how to learn, symbol drawing, importance of the old masters etc.
The only drawback it that it's very text-heavy, but you can grab the free pdf, so why not.
>>
>>3135069
it's good if you're starting from zero. if you're not a complete beginner then it's a waste of time

don't buy it though. download it.
>>
>>3135069
Yes, Keys to Drawing is basically the good, art-related parts of Betty Edwards' book but without all the pseudoscience bullshit.
>>
>>3135080
>>3135084
>>3135115

Awesome, thanks for the replies anons. I will look at Keys to Drawing.
>>
>>3135069
The books by Betty Edwards were not intended for people pursuing art. I went to college at the school she taught at, us art majors weren't allowed to take her classes, they were for non-art majors, and that's what she based the books on, her experiences getting people who would say 'I can't draw a straight line" to be competent at basic drawing by the end of the semester.
Some of the concepts she deals with are good for serious art students, so reading her book can have some benefit, but she didn't write the book for you - her audience is and was STEM students who wanted to be able to draw what they see, not create full fledged artists.
>>
>>3135069
i don't think it's a meme, you can think whatever about the brain stuff but the book shows you very well how you should approach drawing and how to avoid symbol drawing
>>
>>3135069
It's good for people with symbol drawing issues. That being said, I swear everyone who reccs this book mention that you are supposed to ignore the new age shit and focus primarily on the lessons
>>
>>3136033
I swear every person the book is recommended to doesn't finish it.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.