[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Artist improvement patterns

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 3

Hi /ic/, how are you doing? I've been lurking a while and decided to bring up a topic that I had in the back of my mind for a while.

First off, you need to know that i've been drawing for a while (2 year-ish) and only recently started to make a living out of illustration and actually studying art/practicing it - that said, I know what subjects and more or less the order I must learn them.

I was searching for some resources on the net and ended up finding this sycra video where he talks about his improvement, which made me search after many other artist improvement stories. While flipping through the old images of some artists I got this sense that at some point their end results are weird and then something, a little change(my guess is mindset and approach), happens and suddenly their art feels like it connects the basics of drawing/colour/anatomy/whatever generating an overall better image.

Now, I know that are as many types of people and consequently as many ways of learning art as stars in the sky, and that the results of one’s practice are based on infinite variables, but what if there are some turning points in common between the experiences?

So yeah, tell me you guys think of it and if possible post here some other references of artists improvement to see if we can see some patterns, bonus points for an interview/blog post or something.

Thanks.
>>
>>3131474
>2 year-ish
Every single fucking time.
>>
>>3131474
I don't mean to offend, but 2 years-ish of drawing isn't long at all and you probably haven't even gone through your "breakthrough", but you won't realize this until you actually go through it.

I think people start to make it when they finally grasp the concept of form or find their style (not in the muh style way). But even decent artists are constantly changing up their aesthetic.

This interview of Steve Hutson was very eye-opening.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Var92xzU_Y
>>
>>3131492
Thanks for the reply, I'll pay more attention to this breakthrough thing

You may take it as bullshit, but i've always been invovled with art since a child, specially drawing and writing, the reason why I said 2 year ish is because that's more or less the time that I stopped seeing drawing as a secondary activity, I guess

Anyway, thanks for the understanding :^]
>>
>>3131474
>all that narcissism
well she sure likes drawing herself.
>>
>>3131539
In the end we are the person and potential model we most end up seeing during our lifetime.
>>
>>3131545
>implying I don't avoid the mirror as much as possible
>>
>>3131539
btw making a self portrait is nice way to keep track of improvements, I guess
>>
>>3131552
>btw making a self portrait is nice way to keep track of improvements, I guess
>>3131545
>we most end up seeing during our lifetime.
i drew myself like...1-2 times in my life. And im drawing for 10+ years.
All she does is drawings of pretty girls + self portraits.
Lame.
>>
>>3131539
At least she's hot, would bang
>33
Ehhh.... maybe not.
>>
File: september-9-2017.jpg (509KB, 1000x901px) Image search: [Google]
september-9-2017.jpg
509KB, 1000x901px
must be nice to be a pretty girl and not have to draw this monster every day
>>
>>3131576
I like this, do you post your artwork somewhere online too?
>>
>>3131576
Kek. That's precisely why I don't do self portraits. I used to look at the mirror when learning how to draw faces from imagination and all my people started looking like down syndrome retards.
>>
>>3131576
Just draw your mom, Brian, don't you live with her?
>>
>>3131620
She's got a job that takes up most of her time. I've painted her a few times though. She knows it takes time now and she prefers spending time not sitting in one place. That's usually how it goes. People are excited to sit for that first painting but quickly realize how hard it is
>>
>>3131474
>making a living from art after 2 years
Please post work, not meming. I wanna see what it looks like. Also post your progress if you can. That's breddy damn good if true.
>>
hope she avoids the tumblr nose
>>
>>3131633

Sorry anon, I was sleep deprived and english is not my first language

What I wanted to say was "And only recently decided I'd try to make a living out of illustration"

I've done some things to get some bucks here and there but they're terrible and not worthy of being posted here.
>>
>>3131628
Make her watch tv or read a book.
>>
>>3131615
Down's syndrome AND retarded?! The double whammy!
>>
>>3131474
>that i've been drawing for a while (2 year-ish)
Ah, the classic /ic/ bait thread.
>>
>>3131576
the true face of autism
>>
>>3131576
I feel like you were born to be a circa 1970's terrorist, you have the perfect face for it. This sketch would be perfect for some newspaper expose about your life titled "A glimpse at madness" or some shit. You were born too late Brian.
>>
>>3131924
Brian is Italian, his family was probably part of the Mafiaso on the 70s.
>>
>>3131474
I like loish's style from 2009-2011. There a stage where the skill has obviously gone up but appeal has disappeared.
>>
>>3131474
Was she the one who started the red nose trend? She is already doing it in 2007 and 2009 and even in 2011. That was a hell of a long time ago though, even before tumblr if I'm correct.
>>
File: mbntbapg.png (260KB, 492x508px) Image search: [Google]
mbntbapg.png
260KB, 492x508px
was waiting for a new one of these for my collection.
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.