[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

3 steps to getting good

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 4

File: top-secret.jpg (976KB, 2400x1036px) Image search: [Google]
top-secret.jpg
976KB, 2400x1036px
1.) Draw a shit ton.

You won't get good until you have drawn from 2,000 -10,000 hours. Hours very depending on your natural talents how efficiently you study.

2.) Study your fundamentals by doing deliberate practice. Basically, focus on one area at a time. If you are doing a compositional study of old masters work, forget the rendering and just do a bunch of quick compositional studies

3.) Apply your work to both finished and unfinished work. So, if you do hand studies do hands from imagination. But ultimately, if your plan is to be an illustrator you have to make sure you consistently make illustrations.

There that's it. That's the "secret" to getting good. Took me 2 years to figure that out. So much BS I had to weed out.

>Inb4 post work

I'm not good, so I'm not gonna post my work. But, I have improved tremendously from applying this stuff.
>>
>>3131067
post your work
>>
The secret is to show yourself you can get better at a subset of drawing in a tangible way. and then grow from there
>>
>>3131071
/ic/ doesn't draw anything aside from nekkid humans anyway
>>
File: 1505037180061.jpg (399KB, 1301x950px) Image search: [Google]
1505037180061.jpg
399KB, 1301x950px
>>3131089
once you know that you can draw anything
>>
File: 1453918790857.gif (510KB, 480x228px) Image search: [Google]
1453918790857.gif
510KB, 480x228px
>>3131096
>>
Once you clock in 10000 hours, you are definitely an autist
>>
>>3131068
This.

I won't take advice from someone who for all I know could be terrible beginner with chronic dunning kruger
>>
>>3131148
Yeah!
Who does this guy think he is? Telling people to "practice" to get good.
Absolutely ridiculous if you ask me.
>>
>>3131148
How am I a Dunning Kruger? I never claimed to be good. It's also fallicious to think that just because someone is good, their advice is good. I've met a lot of exceptionally talented artists who never bothered drawing boxes and figures and just made personal work. That artist could very well say that drawing boxes and doing figure drawing is useless but would it make it so?
>>
>>3131152
Exactly. He could be trying to sabotage our art gains. ""Practice"" huh? sounds fishy to me
>>
>>3131143

I am interested in the subject of drawing and painting, but have a job as CAD engineer. I work 8-16, monday to friday. I clock 176h in a month. This is in a year roughly 2100h.

So 10k is like having full-time job for 5 years that you are totally dedicated to. IMO it can be attainable if you do art uni and on top of it work part time or on internship on some graphic studio or on your own project that you intend to sell.

People out of uni or in other fields have it automatically more difficult and IMHO NEETs just don't have work ethics to manage this.
>>
>>3131067
>Study your fundamentals

We've already proven that the study meme doesn't do shit for you. Fuck off, OP.
>>
>>3131180
Show your thinking please. Can't just state things are fact with no evidence.
>>
>>3131180
ngmi
>>
>>3131180
How exactly have you proven that? I find it quite mind boggling that some retards actually consider the act of studying itself to be a meme. Like, how would you suggest someone were to learn a new language or an instrument or a sport without any form of studying and exercising?
>>
>>3131199
They aren't retarded, you are. Anyone with more than 2 brain cells would know that they are trolling and trying to mislead beginners astray.
>>
>>3131199
>>3131186
>>3131184
I think he means studying without applying. Because if you go over the same study (example: boxes in perspective) a bunch of times and don't try to apply it to any of you work all you would end up knowing is how to draw boxes in perspective. Same goes for copying a body parts, all you'll end up doing is copying, not thinking. Studying becomes a comfort zone of its own if you don't push yourself
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.