[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

TRACING

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

File: 1478975422.-lofi_3-28-16.jpg (165KB, 914x1280px) Image search: [Google]
1478975422.-lofi_3-28-16.jpg
165KB, 914x1280px
Is tracing ok?

How can you tell an artist traced something instead of drawing from reference? Pic maybe related
>>
Tracing is fine; the end goal is the result not the process.

However, artists with a trained eye can see traced work and will judge you critically on this.
>>
File: 1485614194022.jpg (37KB, 348x342px) Image search: [Google]
1485614194022.jpg
37KB, 348x342px
>>3129713
I have seen artists on /ic/ calling others out on tracing. I always wondered how they do that.

Are you an artist with a trained eye?
>>
>>3129705
Some signs:

1. Pose might look a bit stiff
2. Quality of artist's body of work may be inconsistent between pieces
3. Wonky anatomy especially if they traced from a photo that has strong foreshortening or distortion
4. If the artist has a usually cartoony style, realistic proportions from tracing are more apparent
>>
>>3129773
autism
>>
>>3129773
>I always wondered how they do that.
>autism

finally, I have something that will help me make it.
>>
>>3129794
>>3129819
>>
>>3129713
the problem is like 1% of people who call out tracing actually have a trained eye, and most of the time on /ic/ you see people calling out tracing as soon as something barely looks like the reference
>>
>>3129705
i trace sometimes to make studies but not to make art
>>
>>3129825
>most of the time on /ic/ you see people calling out tracing as soon as something barely looks like the reference
Kek. This is very true, in real life also.
>could always look at a picture and draw a similar 1:1 replica of it.
>there would always be some normie kid who relied on symbol drawing at school who would accuse me of tracing.
Daily reminder the world is full of salty covetous unskilled cucks.
>>
>>3129838
Really, back when i study fundametals, tracing about 2 months i feel doesn't help shit, at best it help me learn how to line better.
>>
Most people trace because they haven't figured out how to observe well enough to do it by eye. Learning that frees you up to study better, so tracing cheats you out of pushing yourself to a point where you can improve faster.

If you know how to observe well enough that it's not cheating you, then nothing is lost but there's little reason to do it at that point, so most people who think that applies to them aren't being honest.
>>
>>3129705
>client wants a drawing of a cow in a supermarket.

>trace cow
>trace supermarker

>get $$$

why is /ic/ so stupid?
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.