[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I want to go through atelier training without actually going

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 5

I want to go through atelier training without actually going to a school. Can someone give me instructions what I am supposed to actually do? I can't afford a school so don't mention it.
>>
get fucked, more or less
the benefit of an atelier is the looking-over-your shoulder guidance you get
>>
>>3127467
I can get a decent feedback from myself, obviously I can't think of better methods out of nowhere but I can tell when something is drawn badly.

I just want to learn to draw in a classic way.
>>
File: Screenshot_1.jpg (55KB, 474x359px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_1.jpg
55KB, 474x359px
>>3127459
post your work
>>
>>3127470
lol
>>
>>3127459
You probably want to figure out first if you want to learn the sight-sized method or a more constructive/anatomical approach which is more oriented towards comparative measuring.
>>
>>3127476
Getting feedback from yourself is one of the most important things when you are self taught. I guess nobody was self taught ever because you don't believe that.
>>
>>3127489
fucking lol
who needs an atelier when you have ~yourself~
>>
>>3127506
Self taught means learning shit from courses and schools by yourself, retard
>>
>>3127508
>Self taught means learning shit from courses and schools by yourself, retard
this is one of those situations where you have to stop and ask:
"is this an actual retard? or is this someone making a joke?"
>>
>>3127459
Buy some plaster casts and start drawing. There are two main approaches--a flat approach based on the French system, and a more constructional approach based on the Russian system. If you want to do the French way find the Bargue plates and begin with copying them out. If you want to do the construction way then get that book that the Repin Institute put out like a couple years back. Both approaches involve careful observation, beginning in pencil or charcoal for a few years, and spending a long time working on each image. Good luck.
>>
Ateliers, depending where you live can be expensive.

Bargue is.... a chore to do. But the "figure drawing" construction course is far far more complex. I suggest you read some Vilppu in advance or while doing figure drawings.

If you want to fully emulate the atelier experience, buy a 1 m easel and a wooden canvas and very very large paper(aroudn A1 size) and use tapes and stick on it.
Use 4.6mm pencils (varying from B1-B6) AND soft/med/hard charcoal for values. There are some students that exclusively use charcoals. IDK for painting but my own teacher told us that you have to master black and white before going to colors. so yeah that's the extend I know!

(WARNING: Your back/arms will hurt as hell if you're not used to draw vertically)

Disclaimer: I only went to an atelier for 2 months before I quit because that experience was too painful. And to booth, I was inexperience as fuck so I didn't made much gains lol. (the rest of the class was way too advanced) So if you were to choose an atelier, it'd be best to best your fundies first and not moneys like I did haha.
>>
>>3127526
>There are two main approaches--a flat approach based on the French system, and a more constructional approach based on the Russian system

Which one is better for imagination drawing? I can copy real life quite decently but I can't do shit from imagination, what do?
>>
>>3127531
Construction is better for drawing from imagination, though no academic system really is meant for imagination drawing. If you want to draw out of your head it's better to do more quick drawings and study guys like Hampton or Vilppu.
>>
Where can I find any books or tutorials on the comparative method of drawing? I heard it's better than sight-size.
>>
>>3127649
Keys to Drawing or DRSB.
>>
File: IMG_2677.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2677.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>3127459
Um yeah get wrecked nazi
>>
>>3127459
ateliers usually charge 16k a year, its literally rent in new york, it seems cheap enough anon. but if anything, you can check watts atelier online but you need MASSIVE DISCIPLINE to succeed.
>>
Fuck
>>
>>3127459
read this
>>
>>3127904
No disrespect sir, but not everybody lives in USA. For me it's much more expensive.
>>
File: bio image.jpg (132KB, 446x375px) Image search: [Google]
bio image.jpg
132KB, 446x375px
>>3127459

The legendary mindcandyman on CA.org went from this to that with a home atelier.

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php/870-Journey-of-an-Absolute-Rookie-Paintings-and-Sketches/
>>
>>3128062
Is this guy someone from Algenplfeger's generation? I remember him doing a similar still life. Also, how are the images still on this CA? I thought they were all deleted.
>>
>>3128062

Well look at the dates, I think he started a bit earlier
>>
>>3128078

Oops, replying to >>3128071
>>
>>3128062
what was his secret?
>>
>>3128650
Bumping his sketchbook on CA. Get attention, critique and also studying a lot.
>>
>>3128652
Is it worth it to have an account and make a thread on CA now?
>>
>>3128689
No, just make a blog anywhere else and post there. Tumblr is a good one, but any social media is good.
>>
>>3128696
You don't get crits there though
>>
>>3127957
i dunno anon This one is a nice read but not a great book for instruction imho.
>>
>>3129100
What's bad about it?
>>
Not having that personal critique is one of the things keeping me from getting better. It's so frustrating. I'd love to attend an ateliers or some classes instructed by reputable artists, but there is literally nothing like that where I live, and I don't have the money to move to Cali or New York + money to pay for classes. Feels bad.
Thread posts: 33
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.