[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Getting an art mentor

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

File: 1436910537683.jpg (2MB, 1900x1796px) Image search: [Google]
1436910537683.jpg
2MB, 1900x1796px
Anyone here have/have had a mentor? If so what do you think of the experience? How did you get one? I think having someone to specifically focus on you and push you would be good, but right now I'm just surrounded by people who like my art unconditionally (family, friends, etc.). At the same time, getting critique from random strangers doesn't seem to do it right, either.
>>
>>3126607
I had /ic/, now i have crippling depression.
>>
I had similar thoughts last night.

The only "mentoring experience" I had was the chance to go to an atelier for a while but it's mostly boring figure drawing sessions with a live model for 4 hours straight. I also did still life for a bit more than one year more than that. As we had around 4-5 people in the same room the teacher is going to give you a feed back every 1 hour... like "here" is wrong, or "fix" this. Only did pencil/charcoal though. Dunno what kind of mentor you're going for. Personally I learned more on my own and using external resources but having someone you can talk to about these regularly is psychologically healthier.

But instead of ''mentor'' specifically, I think that art buddies will work as well; of similar level while having personalities that mesh well. I had one in my early days and it encouraged me a lot. I tried /ic/'s many discords but they're not my type of people, hey.

Maybe you're sick of the shithole that is /ic/'s toxicity? There are other forums/communities to try for; such as ConceptArt and LevelUp. Or reddit even.

Anyway, what do you think? I think that going for the hunt of an art friend is the best option desu.
>>
>>3126713
I had depressions for years before coming to /ic/. Luckily, it did not enforce it but actually lessened it.

>>3126716
Forgot to add that I met my "friend" when I was young at an interactive drawing board. We actually met someone higher in skills and after some begging that artist actually tutored us for 3 hours. Best day ever.

Though with my current personality right now, I don't think that I'm able to make friends anymore.
>>
does /ic/ have a discord or something?
what was the link to the IRC?
>>
>>3126716
Art friends are nice, and I do have a few, but I feel I don't get strong feedback from them (it might have to do with their personalities, most of them are very wallflowerish).

I don't mind /ic/'s harshness, I think there's a definite time and place for that kind of critique that many people need, including myself at times. I guess I just crave a more personal relationship with a mentor who's much better than I am but still would take the time out of their day to guide me. I listened to some podcasts about people who did apprenticeships with various types of artists and maybe got that romanticized idea in my head.
>>
>>3126733
hm so at the end of the day you seek stronger feedback? if you don't mind me asking, would you mind posting a sample of the current level of your work? (if u don't mind me wanting to become one of your art buds ehehe). I think that a mentor can be worth it if you're going pro and constantly need feedback. I'm only a hobbyist so I dunno much about a personal art tutor. Well anyway, if you have the money for it, good luck! Having a good constant feedback will definitely improve your skills!
>>
>>3126607
Who is that man who's painting why is he dressed like that I mean honestly
>>
>>3126739
Stronger feedback but specifically someone who will push me. Like I already know a bunch of issues in my own art that I need to work on, but I'm also a hobbyist, so I have no real (critical) pressure on me to work super hard at it or anything. I just draw and it tends to get a decent response no matter what it is.

I don't usually like to post my stuff here though, so if you really want you can email me to exchange blogs or whatever else (this is just a temp email hence the weird name).
>>
>>3126607

You can get professors and instructors, especially at an atelier, but a "mentor" is someone who teaches you more than just art. He (or she, but mine's a dude) is a role model and a wiser figure in a way, he cares about not just your career but your life. He is also aware that art is a reflection of the artist's life. A real mentor is hard to find, because not many will be personally invested in you. My mentor was never my professor in any way when we met. We weren't even talking about art when we first met. You never know where you're going to meet your mentor(s).

When it comes to fundamentals and actually grinding it, everyone virtually taught themselves. A mentor is like a personal trainer - they won't lift the iron bar for you, but they'll show you how to do it, and demand you do another rep - and then another - and then another. Just one more rep!

What a mentor does, besides give you guidance and direction, is talk you out of your self defeating mentality. Becoming a good artist is actually straightforward - keep grinding and expose yourself to a lot of techniques, try EVERYTHING. A lot of our problems as artists aren't actually art problems. With a good mindset, most of us can pull ourselves out of our own pits. A mentor becomes your moral support and backbone when you need it. It's an intimate and vulnerable position to be either the mentor or the student.
>>
>>3126607
I have settled with the fact that I am too autistic for anyone to maintain contact for any significant amount of time. I have no hope for a mentor but I get redlines and simple advice when I ask sometimes.
>>3126723
yes and its total garbage just a bunch of people talking about video games and other dumb shit. Look elsewhere for a discord to join.
>>
>>3126747
This is actually inspiring, gonna save this post. I think that I have the mentality to become a mentor if I were ever to become one, though my current skillset is way too low to qualify.

>>3126723
>>video games and other dumb shit
Tells us the type of dregs who shitpost in this board.
>>
>>3126740
It looks like a priest of the Eastern Orthodoxy. Look at his face. Look at his fucking arms. Who's man enough to tell him to dress better?
>>
File: sarah.jpg (58KB, 503x600px) Image search: [Google]
sarah.jpg
58KB, 503x600px
>>3126607
I used to work with Rick Berry, I went to his house and knocked on his door and asked if I could study with him. It was good, learned alot but mostly just got into the habit of painting all the time and taking my work very seriously.
>>
>>3126713
Problebly because you're shit at art. Buy a fucking rope.
>>
>>3126779

Being a good artist isn't the same as being a good mentor, and vice versa. You don't even have to be in the same field, though it helps. My "mentor" and I, you would never guess that we were even friends because our styles and paths are very different, but he's been my backbone during hard times. You also don't have to necessarily be that good to be a mentor, though it helps and you'll be taken more seriously. I am sure there are beginner artists who would love to have you.

>>3126781

lol the ancient faiths are the manliest forms of Christianity because they vouch for responsibility and discipline instead of whatever is taught in the churches today. I am not against having female religious leaders but I think most people complaining about the lack of female priests would understand why it was so in the past if they knew how demanding and dangerous it was to be a religious leader back then.
>>
The closest thing i had to art mentor was in college. The painting teacher kind of became my mentor not because i was seeking out one, more like because he was, Although that made it kind of strange. Even after i was done with college i came around the class to work on my art and be involved in the critiques for maybe 3 years. Towards the end of me coming around his attitude change, he became a asshole. So i guess i didn't have the best experience.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.