[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/beg/ - THE BEGINNER THREAD

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 314
Thread images: 87

File: op.png (1MB, 1440x1440px) Image search: [Google]
op.png
1MB, 1440x1440px
IF YOU ARE A /BEG/INNER IN ART, please use this thread to post pieces for critique or ask for advice. We should not have to make new threads or post in the Drawthread with our fundamental exercises.

Feel free to post even the smallest exercise you have done to show you are still trying, do not give up, make someone proud.

RESIZE YOUR IMAGES TO ~1000 PIXELS:

#1)
>screenshot the image and post that instead

#2)
>change camera capture settings to something smaller

#3)
>send to computer and resize in MSPaint

→ →
There's a new (and cleaner) sticky in town! You can see it at:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1uwaXKU7ev6Tw_or__o8ARpUb6r2rCZYJGqwSFV9AD98/edit#bookmark=id.15jx3pyuimvj

TRY TO BE MORE ACTIVE AND GIVE PEOPLE SOME FEEDBACK - many studies are left unreplied, which is a bit sad and can be quite demotivating for the people that try their best to improve, but are left directionless.

OLD THREAD: >>3121935
>>
File: cymbal drawing.gif (497KB, 499x281px) Image search: [Google]
cymbal drawing.gif
497KB, 499x281px
ESSENTIALS:

>https://warosu.org/ic/thread/3023643
Links to many art books including as Keys to Drawing (Dodson), Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain (Edwards), Perspective Made Easy (Norling), Color and Light (Gurney), The Vilppu Drawing Manual (Vilppu) and How to Draw (Robertson).

>http://ctrlpaint.com
A website dedicated to understanding the basics and process of digital painting, based in Adobe Photoshop. Library of over 200 free videos.

>http://quickposes.com
Free pose library to practice drawing the human figure (as well as a portrait library). Draw at your own pace or set a timer for quick gesture drawings.

>https://www.youtube.com/user/onairvideo
Croquis Cafe - Timed model poses.

>http://drawabox.com
Controversial yet helpful introductory course on the fundamentals of drawing with a focus on understanding the concept of form and thinking in a 3-dimensional mindset while you draw.

>Your local life drawing class
Life drawing is an indispensable tool in your art career. Do not be intimidated based on your skill level - there will always be someone worse than you and someone better than you. Use this opportunity to meet new artists for learning, critique, and growth.
>>
File: 2222222222222.jpg (364KB, 750x1000px) Image search: [Google]
2222222222222.jpg
364KB, 750x1000px
is this a good study
>>
>>3125262
Did you learn anything?
>>
>>3125266
vary the values of the midtones to make something look more interesting i guess
>>
File: The_Hand_Key_Art.png (260KB, 400x476px) Image search: [Google]
The_Hand_Key_Art.png
260KB, 400x476px
>>3125262
>>
File: 9 4.png (567KB, 1080x1402px) Image search: [Google]
9 4.png
567KB, 1080x1402px
time 2 sleep........
>>
File: 1500512474025.jpg (44KB, 569x506px) Image search: [Google]
1500512474025.jpg
44KB, 569x506px
>want to make it in an art career but have carpal and cubital tunnel
>after years, finally force myself to give up video games entirely until it's cured
>mfw I have no idea what to do all day since I can only cap art practice at 4 hours per day before it starts hurting too much

any suggestions?
>>
>>3125321
4 hours is enough to make it.
>>
>>3125321
How much research have you done into it?

If you're not doing stuff like sleeping with a wrist brace yet, then this post could have shit that helps ya. http://www.colourcow.com/drawing-carpal-tunnel/

But if you've already seen doctors and you're doing all the right treatment stuff and whatever...
But you sound like you haven't. Also stop using a mouse/typing with that hand.
>>
>>3125321
Learn to draw with your offhand.
>>
>>3125321
So how good were you at video games and which games was it? I'm guessing at least 5000 hours in, because even people with 4k are still doing fine apparently.
>>
File: ih8mylyf.jpg (249KB, 1180x1072px) Image search: [Google]
ih8mylyf.jpg
249KB, 1180x1072px
gettin fuckin tried of being so mediocre.
>>
>>3125386
>>3124903
>>
>>3125386
Then read the sticky and stop symbol drawing, you absolute cretin.
>>
>>3125386
>tumblr noses all around

you sicken me
>>
>>3125394
Symbol drawing?
>>3125399
Tumblr noses?
>>
File: gestures.png (677KB, 651x884px) Image search: [Google]
gestures.png
677KB, 651x884px
is drawing people on the street good idea?
>>
File: 1504387893555.png (496KB, 800x619px) Image search: [Google]
1504387893555.png
496KB, 800x619px
>>3125254

Reminder that spinning the page if you find the angle uncomfortable is cheating and bad, and you should stop doing it.

Learn to draw lines at any angle with your always in a proper, horizontal position.
>>
>>3125422
>horizontal
>not horizon, vertical and diagonal
>>
>>3125411
Maybe. I'm to autistic to draw in public. Can't imagine them being any good for gesture drawing tho.
>>
>>3125321
Stop squeezing your pencil like a retard.
>>
>>3125422
No, it's not cheating and bad. Some people have deadlines, unlike you, and they're not gonna waste their time hammering away at one line.

It IS a good idea to not rely on it too much in practice, though.
>>
>>3125386
fucking disgusting
>>
>>3125453
No one seems to want to extrapolate. Why is this disgusting?
>>
It's Been years since I've painted,

Can I have some critique on it
>>
File: le maxilla man.jpg (211KB, 807x938px) Image search: [Google]
le maxilla man.jpg
211KB, 807x938px
Just drew this portrait, would appreciate some feedbacks pls.
Any tips to get clean, consistent gray tone with graphite?
>>
>>3125455
if you dont know then you should seriously stop being an artist now, even if you get good technically you will never be able to create anything aesthetic or beautiful.

you arent jewish are you?
>>
>>3125467
No I'm not Jewish, what does that even have to do with anything?

Not a very helpful critique if what everyone tells me is that it's "disgusting". Where's the merit in that?
>>
>>3125394
>>3125399
>>3125408
>>3125453
>>3125455

the reason why I stopped posting my stuff here.
>>
>>3125481
because you're thin skinned?
>>
>>3125547
because no one bothered telling me what am I doing wrong, and how to correct it. u know - the whole point of this thread
>>
>>3125556
well do you know what a tumblr nose is?
>>
>>3125386
learn to draw different head sizes ffs
>>
>>3125562
i think its an art choise, so is that why no one seems to want to talk about the method but rather the fuckin nose?
>>
File: sleepwelldoggo.jpg (461KB, 2030x1538px) Image search: [Google]
sleepwelldoggo.jpg
461KB, 2030x1538px
i nabbed some images from /p/ and decided to paint them using PS. (mostly of animals)
i tried to do the same thing using /soc/ but i got cancer from browsing for photos of people

1/?
>>
>>3125563
Ever heard of proportional consistency?
>>
File: seagull2.jpg (91KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
seagull2.jpg
91KB, 1000x1000px
>>3125568

2/?

i don't know how many i will do
>>
>>3125569
lmao ok keep drawing a full grown mans head size on a tiny girl then
>>
>>3125575

Nice nitpick. Anything of actual substance?
>>
>>3125463

not an expert at anything, but try layering values, start from lightest values (white paper should be lightest value) and then just keep layering all the darker areas
try and use your tools as if you were sculpting, so follow the shape/form of the part you're shading
don't just focus on the shape of the values, try and focus also on the actual anatomy/physical 3d shape also

measure more, glasses are kind of wonky and uneven
>>
>>3125456

i like the colours, looks like you're just painting the shapes you see (great as a starting point), maybe consider the actual physical 3d shape of what you're looking at while placing the colours down, again follow the forms! make a wireframe on top before you paint if it helps
>>
>>3125580
Hello.

I'm a lurker. /ic/ is nothing but elitist nitpickers. If you expect anything else but to be shat on for mistakes then maybe it's your fault.

Have a nice day.
>>
>>3125285

nice, with more refining it'd be great! potential is there, i even like it in b/w

forehead too high?
candles break some of the perspective

i'm no expert
>>
>>3125588

the only people who give actual advice are people with real solutions and advice
the rest spout cliche buzzwords because they know it looks 'off' but don't have the skills to be able to tell you what's actually wrong with it
>>
>>3125565
I'm gonna say this first. Read carefully.

Nobody gives two shits about your art choices. They want it to look good. Art is primarily depiction. In the last half century or so the academia has subverted that idea. They've moved people into thinking that art is primarily expression. That is not the case. You draw to depict something. Your skill of depiction can invoke an emotions and thus becomes a method of expression. If you cannot depict something accurately you will not invoke emotions as effectively. If you wish to draw something with sufficient results you must learn how to draw something ACCURATELY. This meaning that drawing noses too long compared to the length of the entire skull and forehead will cause some dissonance.
SO, a tumblr nose refers to a nose that's universally exaggerated and usually colored red to add contrast. Stop this. It doesn't look correct. It looks like you don't know how to draw a fucking nose. You won't know that it doesn't look incorrect if you keep seeing them and thinking that it's normal.
>that's how I want to draw it though
Then don't expect people who don't browse tumblr constantly to appreciate it. An accurately depicted nose will be appreciated by anyone who is human on an instinctive level.
Learn how to create illusions of 3d on a 2d medium. Gather knowledge to understand how a human body is constructed. Figure out what makes a feature attractive, unattractive, masculine, feminine, young and old.

If I had to say anything positive about your work...
You at least understand that women are curvy and men are not. That's a good start. You haven't quite learned the differences in faces at all between the two. You've picked up that clothing folds a bit and has seams though you really need work on it. You've made an effort to learn at some point.
>>
>>3125585
Thank you! I'll take that into consideration on my next piece :)

But yeah I did paint this without any pencil work.
>>
>>3125568
I really like the colors and the texturing. The dog's eye seems a bit cloudy and dry. The eyeball looks as if it's just sitting inside the fur. Dog's eyes have wet glands around the outside of the eyeball. I think using hard, bright colored high lights would fix both problems. The same could be said about the nose. It looks too dull and dry. Use harder edge, bright highlights to make it looks less dry.
>>3125570
Man, I really like your work.
The seagulls legs look unfinished. The feathers have a really nice texture to them making it looks great. The legs, don't seem to have any texture to them at all. Your colors are quite realistic looking overall. The beak having a hard black line in the middle though.... ruins some of that realistic appearance.
Hell of a lot better than what I'd do. I'm gonna take your idea and draw some animals today as well.
>>
>>3125595

i think with more construction practice and a little (tiny) bit of anatomy knowledge that painting would look x10
try and repaint it and repost? i would love to see the improvement
>>
File: draw.jpg (201KB, 1353x930px) Image search: [Google]
draw.jpg
201KB, 1353x930px
lads how do i get good
>>
>>3125608
Draw it again from ref until you can do it purely from memory. Then try to use your imagination and draw it from another angle.
>>
>>3125601

oooh that makes so much sense, i was having trouble making it 'glisten' without it looking like it was too bright. to be honest i fluffed the eye and the seagull legs and seagull beak because i just wanted to finish them! i'll touch them up at some point to rectify

thanks man nice critique, the colours are lifted from the reference with added tints because the refs always look gray or not vibrant, my colour picking is really bad/could be better unfortunately
>>
>>3125593

What a bunch of fuckin elitist bullshit this is.
>Art isn't primarily expression, it's depiction.

You just completely fucking missed the point of art. What fucking part of art it supposed to be realistic to the core, or appeal to realism? The whole point of drawing this way is not to "INVOKE EMOTIONS" like this is some fucking gallery in the Louvre, like you're some fucking 60 year old hag getting an orgasm over a fucking painting of a chair - you leave that to story, the art is supposed to supplement that, not be inspiring entire of its own. Yes, inspiring art is the ultimate aspiration, but that's not justifying limiting your senses to appeal to depiction rather than imagination. What is this contemporary rhetoric cunt bullshit?
>>
>>3125570
I-would-wear-a-tshirt-with-this/10
>>
>>3125608

it looks similar but not quite perfect,

try just drawing the main angle lines, for the left arm slant which lines up with the bottom left tow, same for the back right leg, which should line up almost with the right arm but a little further inside

looks like you just took a glance at the overall not really focusing on if the limbs/planes are facing the right directions

seriously just spend a little more time on it
>>
File: draw.jpg (126KB, 1515x722px) Image search: [Google]
draw.jpg
126KB, 1515x722px
i tihnk i need my medicine
>>
>>3125614

hey really? if you buy a tshirt of this print for sure i will right now set up my redbubble yetee and any other tshirt website stuff you can recommend

thanks man!
>>
>>3125608
By constructing it with shapes.
>>
If I learn proper art fundamentals, will that help out with making my drawings look more life like? People keep telling me I draw symbols instead of what is actually there, I really want to draw cool dynamic characters like in my favorite comics or manga, and I'm getting kind of depressed that I can't pull off what comes to mind. I'm taking some courses online that should hopefully help me out.
>>
>>3125608
You git gud by drawing a great deal. Then taking a very detailed critical analysis of your own drawings and better drawings not drawn by you. Take note on what properties the better drawings have that yours do not. Ask for criticisms often.
Most people would tell you to study anatomy which is great advice even if you don't intend on drawing human bodies.
>>
>>3125612
>You just completely fucking missed the point of art.
No I didn't. You did.
I explained the point of being realistic to the core. It is to be accurate in depicting something. Just like in fiction writing, you use constants that parallel what we experience in real life to create a believable scenario.
It's nothing contemporary. You're literally, a victim of what I just explained.
>>
>>3125622

the best thing i can recommend is learning atleast how basic and minor complex shapes turn in space in any direction and perspective and knowing a little about how light will fall on it and where cast shadows will be

just that bit of knowledge will make it so you can kind of accurately critique your work

basically any frustration is borne out of you being impatient with yourself, i guarantee if you spend a solid amount of time trying to make it realistic or as convincing as possible while keeping in mind that these are 3d shapes and painting/drawing like you were sculpting (add some wireframes, why not) you'll learn more from that process than any online course (maybe..)
>>
>>3125618
the left one is actually good
>>
>>3125262

maybe once you finish rendering, make a photocopy then draw the wireframe and shapes in the hand

so you are actively learning the form/shapes not just rendering the light
>>
>>3125628

I guess I just like using courses and books cause I never was able to learn this stuff in school like most people, the courses I'm following have vidos that show you how to draw and the teacher explains stuff as he does it so I'm learning al ot, but I'll try your advice out as well.
>>
>>3125622
Yes it will. Symbol drawing is pretty much what everyone starts out doing. Very rarely do people figure this out on their own. It usually takes someone pointing it out that they're symbol drawing.
Naturally avoiding symbol drawing is usually a sign of advanced intelligence (intelligence being a mental disposition to understand something as thoroughly as possible rather than to know something to a practical extent.) I say this as it should be a bit of knowledge that should humble you. You are not going to just learn how to make great art on your own. Do not expect yourself to improve when you do not try to understand what you are trying to draw.
>>
>>3125634

the problem is teaching is theory AND practice, without practice you will be forever learning theory and then you're theory knowledge will overwhelm you to the point where you don't know where to start, and then back to step 1 all over again

try and draw while you watch to practice whatever the video tutor is telling you in real time
>>
>>3125625

Well man if you deduced all of that incredibly cryptic elitist nonsense from a red nose then kudos to you. I look forward to seeing your opinionated piece on the next art magazine I buy.
>>
>>3125637
I don't think what I wrote was cryptic at all. You probably just didn't try to understand it.
You aren't going to get better by refusing to acknowledge your mistakes. You can ignore my advice but you will discover the same truth on your own if you truly wish to improve.
>>
File: figu1.jpg (367KB, 3000x1537px) Image search: [Google]
figu1.jpg
367KB, 3000x1537px
>>
File: Capture.png (1MB, 790x820px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
1MB, 790x820px
Im having a lot of trouble with the swords perspective and the colour palette.
>>
>>3125254
https://youtu.be/TTugsphairE
How is it possible to get this level of accuracy without a grid?
>>
>>3125646
if we can see the underside of its guard, then its impaling her
>>
>>3125636

Thats what I've been doing, sometimes I have to pause or rewind to totally get it but I feel its good to practice what your watching. Youtube has lots of good how to draw videos I watch occasionally as well. I just need to make more time to practice some more.
>>
File: 1477720945179.png (517KB, 600x958px) Image search: [Google]
1477720945179.png
517KB, 600x958px
>>3125581
Thanks a lot for the advice, I didn't think about the layering technique. I did try to follow the shapes as I was drawing however but I guess the wonky shading kind of mask it.
>>
>>3125645
The left side of the rib cage is poking out too far. it's reallly too large as well. I think what's happened is that you're connecting the shoulder to the ribcage too much. It looks to me like the entire ribcage is sized to match the arms stretching outwards. Study the shoulder anatomy a bit more and learn how it positions when moving versus the ribcage. I think you'll fix the torso problem there when you understand that.
>>
>>3125645
The knees are sticking out so you've pulled up the feet and the hand is tiny.
Have you tried using a thicker brush for the early stages?
>>
>>3125648
haha i saw that guy on reddit too, keep in mind that guy probably spends 20-40 hours on each piece
academic drawing is doing everything you can to trace without actually tracing. spend an entire 4 hours meticulously measuring and planning a drawing and you'll be just as accurate.
There are loads of photocopiers on youtube that do this and they only get 1k-5k views per video. the sad truth is no one cares if you are a human photocopier. there is much more to art than just being accurate. it is a form of visual communication, and the more interesting ideas you communicate the more enjoyable your art will be
>>
>>3125657
>>3125661
fucking hell, how do i learn to notice these things?
>>
>>3125664
Before you draw something from life or copy a photo, force your self to sit there and just look at the subject for a good 10 -15 minutes. I think you'll find your work to be much more accurate.
>>
>>3125664
Taking breaks so you can snap out of tunnel visions. Maybe flipping the canvas now and then.
Probably just needs a little planning before going into a piece.
>>
>>3125665
can i get another opinion on this statement? is this good advice?
>>
>>3125608

Build you structure with simple shapes instead of scribbles.
>>
>>3125668
Yes it is.
>>
>>3125668
Try it. It's only 15mins anyways.
>>
>>3125644
Coloring a nose red is considered a "Mistake" now? Really?
>>
>>3125664
By getting another opinion primarily. Some tricks to help would be to turn your head or the piece as that will help your brain instinctively point out inconsistencies.

>>3125668
I don't know about this. >>3125665
Honestly I feel like spending too much time looking at something makes you start drawing symbols. I always fuck up drawings if I think about it too much. I do much better just taking a glance of a scene and thing thinking about what I saw rather than staring at it. This forces me to look at my own drawing and think about perspective rather than trying to recreate the shapes.
>>
fucking /beg/
literally blind leading the blind
trying to take an image board full of literal complete beginners, many of them autistic or highly insecure and have that be the role of the teacher and the master.

this is fucking shit.
>>
File: 2bc.png (1MB, 1280x1506px) Image search: [Google]
2bc.png
1MB, 1280x1506px
>>3125682
Coloring a nose red when it is not red to give it contrast to the rest of the face is a mistake. A person with a flush face will have a red nose but they will also have red cheeks. A tumblr nose isn't simply, a red nose. It is a nose colored red to give it contrast. It is a stylization choice birthed from a crutch. The red itself is not the problem. The problem is coloring a nose or exaggerating it unnecessarily. Not everyone has a huge nose. If you depict everyone like this people will see that you can only draw noses like that.
>>
>>3125689
post your work
>>
>>3125689
post your work.
>>
>>3125689
A human does not need to be an accomplished artist to recognize a problem with a depicted human body.
Stop trying to drag more unnecessary emotions in here if you dislike it. A place of learning should be a neutral environment. Bitching about something rather than objectively criticizing it will only upset yourself and others.
>>
>>3125689
This isn't a mentor kind of community, it's more of an old master's community in which everyone shares their knowledge based on what they've seen and done. There's no problem with beginners trying to help each other. That's how it works if there's no superior.
>>
File: shit.png (3MB, 1663x2119px) Image search: [Google]
shit.png
3MB, 1663x2119px
My goal here was to try something cartoony and kinda colorful.
This one is my lastest work and it is probably the best I can do for now.
Any sugestion/critique?
I did this with a fucking mouse, so I guess this doesn't matter.
>>
>>3125701
>>3125279
>>3124903
>>
>>3125664

focus more on the angles you are using when placing the line down,

some of the mistakes you've made could easily be corrected if you had measured the angle of the line of the ribcage as it goes down.

you've placed the line as a C curving to the right, when actually its more of a smaller C then a straight line for the folding skin, then another C curve to meet her bottom/sole of foot

looks like you're estimating where everything should go, just take a minute and see what lines up with what

for example

the right breast lines up with the knees
middle of bicep where the lowest hanging point is, lines up with the bum
left elbow lines with almost the right breast horizontally

measure using relativity too, not just eyeballing it
>>
>>3125664

Take your time and really observe and measure. It'll be slow at first but the more you do the faster you'll get and eventually you will internalize it. At this point things will feel much more natural.
>>
>>3125704
I am clearly a beginner tho.
>>
>>3125701
i really like this! i'd suggest cleaning up your lines a little more and challenge yourself by adding more versatile colors into your shading.
>>
Figure Drawing or how to draw the head and hands, /beg/?
>>
File: 11-5-17.jpg (101KB, 700x861px) Image search: [Google]
11-5-17.jpg
101KB, 700x861px
anybody know how to draw chain mail? gonna give this another shot.
>>
Why are there so many people on digital here? Do you just want to draw porn?
>>
>>3125737
actually yes.
>>
>>3125701
First off turn off your sketch layer. The lines are sloppy get a tablet.

The lighting is lacking cast shadows and the frontal light source is boring and not totally consistent. A much more interesting light source would be something from below.
>>3125728
if your beginner why did you sign it?
>>
>>3125737
>anime board
>not want to draw fanart of your waifu
Come on, anon.
>>
>>3125737

what are you the drawing police? in all the digital works posted in this thread how much of it is porn?
>>
>>3125745
Yeah I actually am the drawing police so stop using your fag tablets and do traditional
>>
>>3125733
>>3125741
Thanks! And I signed because why not.
>>
>>3125746

post work?
>>
>>3125608
Stop with the squiggly lines bs. Start using basic 3d shapes to structure your drawings.
>>
>>3125748
What does my skill have to do with anything?
>>
File: mr.peeny jr.png (202KB, 714x833px) Image search: [Google]
mr.peeny jr.png
202KB, 714x833px
>>3125746
sorry, hate to wave around my digital peen, officer
>>
>>3125749
Anon is doing a gestural drawing.
>>
>>3125734
pls respond?
>>
>>3125750

i don't care about seeing your work, i just wanted to see if you did traditional or digital or what medium you use

if you aren't going to critique/post work and just say shit like 'muh digital fags' why are you in this thread?
shitpost somewhere else
>>
>>3125645
You're not drawing what you see, and you're not thinking about the structure of the figure. Think about the spine, rib cage, and pelvis. Think about how they combine together and how flexible they are. Build your figures with these in mind rather than focusing on the outline.
>>
>>3125734
The latter
>>
File: melgibsonbeyblade.jpg (70KB, 600x900px) Image search: [Google]
melgibsonbeyblade.jpg
70KB, 600x900px
>>3125760
I have posted my stuff in the past.

I also didn't say muh digital fags. I just asked a question, but yes, digital has low artistic merit.
>>
>>3125754

i wish i could help anon, but the only advice i can give is to keep grinding them until you actually understand how to construct a simple body/head/hand from memory so that it looks convincing

maybe draw wireframes to show form to help you internalize how things should look
>>
>>3125766
sorry I don't want advice from a digital artist
>>
>>3125765

i'd hate to ask for a third time, but post some work?

"stop using your fag tablets"

i love my tablet, i am male my tablet is female so it can't be a fag :(

that's one opinion sure. i did/have done traditional work before i just moved onto digital because it's more fun, are you the fun police too?
>>
>>3125767

sure no problem, hopefully you find an answer!
>>
>>3125770
ITS NOT ABOUT FUN ITS ABOUT MAKING REAL ART REEEEEEEEEE
>>
File: 1535.png (53KB, 256x256px) Image search: [Google]
1535.png
53KB, 256x256px
>>3125645

what is the point of superimposing the lines on bad anatomical form?

I don't understand. Complete beginner here.
>>
>>3125767

Fundamentals transcend medium.

As someone who prefer traditional I take advice from any good artist. Not taking advice because someone uses a medium you don't understand is retarded.
>>
>>3125775
To feel the form. Haven't you heard from villpu? Even Keys to Drawing mentions it.
>>
>>3125773

5/10 nice bait i can't believed i even replied 2-3 times already

post work? he asks again for the fourth time
>>
>>3125765

>muh feel
>>
>>3125780
Im working through fun with a pencil and mostly copying for now. I am starting Figure Drawing soon, therefore have nothing original to post
>>
>>3125782

nice good for you, hopefully you improve and stop being a little prick and learn to enjoy any form of creation!

also, i'd hate to ask for the fifth, maybe sixth time, post work? i didn't ask for original work, just anything you have created that you're happy with in it's current form
>>
File: ntB2KhM.gif (753KB, 200x86px) Image search: [Google]
ntB2KhM.gif
753KB, 200x86px
>>3125782
>>
>>3125782
Post your copied work.
>>
>>3125777

haven't studied that stuff yet, still on drawabox lessons
>>
File: figu2.jpg (112KB, 1000x827px) Image search: [Google]
figu2.jpg
112KB, 1000x827px
>>
File: figu3.jpg (193KB, 1990x796px) Image search: [Google]
figu3.jpg
193KB, 1990x796px
>>
File: willbegudoneday.jpg (77KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
willbegudoneday.jpg
77KB, 480x360px
>>3125786
>>3125783
Here you go mates, gaze upon the works of Raphael reincarnate.
>>
File: figu4.jpg (75KB, 1368x760px) Image search: [Google]
figu4.jpg
75KB, 1368x760px
having a tough time grinding observation. yet im certain its the next step for me.
>>
File: goblon.jpg (385KB, 1663x2002px) Image search: [Google]
goblon.jpg
385KB, 1663x2002px
>>
>>3125821
Interesting character design.
>>
>>3125807

how do you even draw this without an erection

I can't fight the urge to fap to that image
>>
>>3125802

>>3125802

the slant on the body is wrong, compare the negative spaces angle compared to yours
i still feel like you're not looking closely enough, i wish i was good enough to red line it for you, but what i can recommend is overlaying your drawing over the reference and see how much you need to adjust
>>
>>3125805

this one is a lot better, but again you need to measure more, notice how her spine is going down at a steeper angle, compared to yours which is more horizontal
>>
>>3125806

try some creative imagination work based on what you've learnt so far. just looks like you're good at copying, try and APPLY the methods into a character of your own
>>
File: Untitled-1.jpg (306KB, 1990x796px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled-1.jpg
306KB, 1990x796px
>>3125805

just to show what i mean by you're not measuring closely enough
>>
>>3125845
Use your frontal lobe instead of the dick.
>>
What should I learn first? anatomy or gesture?
>>
>>3125870
Anatomy.
>>
>>3125848
>>3125849
>>3125851

why are you namefagging lol
>>
File: staz johnson.png (1008KB, 676x889px) Image search: [Google]
staz johnson.png
1008KB, 676x889px
Soo... I'm studying constructional drawing. Making the shapes before the details and all that.

So does that all fall apart for inking an actual serious piece? without the shapes, can you have enough confidence later on to draw without them?
>>
File: head practice.jpg (40KB, 742x789px) Image search: [Google]
head practice.jpg
40KB, 742x789px
Tried painting a head.
>>
File: cubes023.jpg (157KB, 1157x844px) Image search: [Google]
cubes023.jpg
157KB, 1157x844px
How do I draw a straight line?
>>
>>3125646
it can't be that hard to find a reference of a sword in someone's back.. right now it's stabbing her
>>
>>3125900

why AREN'T you namefagging?
i'll take it off if it pleases you m'lord
>>
>>3125958
you're still symbol drawing, and rendering the symbols
but you're getting there. just observe harder and look at the shapes more abstractly.
>>
>>3125958
keep at it anon. careful for the eyes tho.

>>3125960
a ruler. or draw a bunch of lines and erase away the strokes you don't want so its even.

>>3125939
yes, but the shapes will help you build confidence and thats going to take a long time depending on your skill level going in
>>
>>3126001
So it's fine to rely on tools?
>>
>>3126007
tools are there to help you achieve your job.
yes.
>>
File: 1504199058626.jpg (37KB, 992x558px) Image search: [Google]
1504199058626.jpg
37KB, 992x558px
>>3125960

>left-handed
>keep fucking up my lines into squiggly messes when at the edge of the sketchbook since I keep bumping into something

this is an actual problem, wat
>>
File: orc thing .jpg (179KB, 745x822px) Image search: [Google]
orc thing .jpg
179KB, 745x822px
>this is a rough nightly sketch for rapoza

10 years before I'm ever this good, if I'm lucky
>>
>>3125254
How important is finishing your work?
>>
To the anon who recommended I use a smudging tool. Thanks, it helped tremendously, I don't know if that's a proper technique though and I just need to get good at using a pencil but I like it.
>>
File: 2017-09-05 22.29.50.jpg (130KB, 1040x585px) Image search: [Google]
2017-09-05 22.29.50.jpg
130KB, 1040x585px
>>3126049
Forgot image
>>
File: JPEG_20170905_232622-2.jpg (91KB, 792x792px) Image search: [Google]
JPEG_20170905_232622-2.jpg
91KB, 792x792px
Am I hopeless?
>>
File: 1468857407894.jpg (59KB, 521x592px) Image search: [Google]
1468857407894.jpg
59KB, 521x592px
>finished a 70 sheet sketchbook
>more than 3/4 done with another 70 sheet sketchbook

I am kinda excited for some reason. I got a 100 sheet sketchbook coming up
>>
>>3125994
i really don't care, at least you're in-depth with what you say and aren't using fluff phrases like "this looks off."
>>
File: IMG_20170904_030004_491.jpg (773KB, 1440x1800px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170904_030004_491.jpg
773KB, 1440x1800px
Crits please? Colored pencils are fun m8s
>>
File: How to Plane.jpg (111KB, 1056x742px) Image search: [Google]
How to Plane.jpg
111KB, 1056x742px
>>
>>3125960
It's hard to explain this. but you need to abandon the idea that straight lines need to be perfect. Your audiences' eyes will automatically make adjustments to read lines as straight when they need to. The more you practice stroking out straights manually, the better you will get at it.

A great exercise is to stroke your paper from one end to the other horizontally, vertically and diagonally. Try to keep each following line parallel to its predecessor. Don't forget this little detail though...

Alternate your direction, for example for horizontal use a pattern of left-to-right right-to-left. Change it up to prevent boring your wrist. Your eyes will soon stop focusing on the straightness and take you from initial point to final point. This is a good instinct to have for straights. Curves are similar, only you're not just concerned with positions, you're concerned with initial and final direction.

Cover your page in strokes, keep your wrist loose, and keep your damn elbow off the desk. With patience and determination, you'll be a regular Da Vinci.
>>
File: bvdfg.jpg (71KB, 531x733px) Image search: [Google]
bvdfg.jpg
71KB, 531x733px
looking for criticism pls, what you goys think?
>>
File: bvnbn.jpg (43KB, 544x710px) Image search: [Google]
bvnbn.jpg
43KB, 544x710px
looking for criticism pls ty
>>
File: progress.jpg (211KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
progress.jpg
211KB, 1000x1000px
>>3125254
Forgive me if its annoying, I wasn't sure if I should post 3 different pictures or all in one.

I know 2 of the characters don't have faces, I am not super worried about that at the moment, boobs are hard and I have a hard time imagining how they rest on the ribcage.

Don't worry too much about the hands and feet, I know I'm hiding them because I haven't done a comprehensive study on them and I am going to work on that. Just based on the bodies, any advice? I need to work on my construction skills but I don't really know where to practice the most.

Also I know the left nipple on the upright girl is placed wrong, I noticed it after I exported it.
>>
>>3126250
why do you draw your genitals like that. not only is it incredibly undignified but its also just not erotic.
>>
File: circlesyo.jpg (385KB, 1180x1072px) Image search: [Google]
circlesyo.jpg
385KB, 1180x1072px
>>3125408
Care to show your construction? He said you were symbol drawing because it looks like you just add lines based on what you think things look like rather than what they actually do.

Also do a study on abs because you are very far off, another example of symbol drawing is drawing what you believe something looks like without actually studying the anatomy.

Red: A perfect example, you see this shape on a reference (I'm assuming another artist and not a photo), and you add it it without knowing what it actually represents. I get it is supposed to be where the two halves of the ribcage connect from the front but it looks nothing like that, it is much more narrow in reality. If you were to continue the lines you would notice that they don't end where the bottom of the ribcage ends, and considering that shape is supposed to represent the projection of the ribcage, it would obviously follow its contour.

Blue: Another great example of symbol drawing. What does the line represent? Look at real human references, it is not a perfect curve like on the man and I don't even know whats going on with the black girl. What are those lines actually supposed to represent? they don't connect anywhere and your color work doesn't give any idea why those lines exist. A line is the division of colors and forms and those lines do not do either.

Green: Probably the most obvious example of symbol drawing. You have no idea what that muscle is or how it works. The black girl's head is oriented differently from her neck which is impossible and you added those lines in anyways which makes me think you want to include the shape because you saw it on a reference but you don't actually know what it does. Feel your own and see how they move when you turn your head.

I'm not even going to touch on facial features because the left girl and guy are actually pretty good if you look at it from a stylistic perspective. The other two are incredibly lazy. PRACTICE ANATOMY!
>>
>>3126258
>why do you draw your genitals like that

Like what? I would love to take your criticism into consideration except you didn't give one. The Lamia is obviously difficult because the lower half is a snake so I just winged it. I don't care much for sexuality so much as I don't draw clothes on any of my characters, it forces me to draw things I'm not comfortable with. The bottom girl is by far the most sexual one and I got that one from a reference.

>undignified
Nigga what?
>>
>>3126264
you arent jewish are you?
>>
>>3126267
No why?
>>
>>3126268
why dont you have an understanding of aesthetic and nobility enough to see that the work you posted has a potent lack of it?
>>
>>3126271
Nigga do you even know where you are?
>>
>>3126260
Not them but I make some of those mistakes in my drawings too and reading this has been really helpful. Thank you kind anon.
>>
>>3126204
>>3126207
somebody rip on my art pls :L
>>
>>3126296
its shit
>>
>>3126296
5.4/10 human photocopiers
>>
File: SHU_0vJMde.png (212KB, 597x884px) Image search: [Google]
SHU_0vJMde.png
212KB, 597x884px
are these good?
>>
>>3126320
It's not very clear what they're supposed to be doing.
>>
File: image.jpg (44KB, 432x450px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
44KB, 432x450px
>>3125455
It's not even really that bad. These niggas just feel the need to put people down for some reason. I feel your mediocrity struggles, I'm in the same boat. Keep drawing senpai, we're all gonna make it.
>>
>2 years
>several books later
>still too far from where I want to get
Doesn't help I'm just competent at best
>>
Is there an alternative to Fun With a Pencil that isn't so fucking childish? I'm a complete /beg/ at this shit but I've reread this shit like three times and did the exercises but nothing's coming up.
>>
>>3126461
Loomis is not just one book bud.
>>
File: 5_09_17.png (153KB, 721x653px) Image search: [Google]
5_09_17.png
153KB, 721x653px
>>
>>3126518
Looks like some sort of eldritch abomination
>>
>>3126518
What were you trying to draw? Is it some sort of plant, rope? Jelly?

I can't tell.
>>
I'm starting to get gestures. Is this it? Any tips?
>>
File: 2017-09-07 00.51.22.jpg (3MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
2017-09-07 00.51.22.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
>>3125254
just finished this
>>
>>3126553
Anon, flip it and its too big
>>
File: 2017-09-07 00.51.22.jpg (1MB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
2017-09-07 00.51.22.jpg
1MB, 2448x3264px
>>3126553
oops, forgot to rotate
>>
File: Logan Sketch.png (942KB, 792x1000px) Image search: [Google]
Logan Sketch.png
942KB, 792x1000px
>>3126555
sorry, here it is resized
>>
>>3126465
Yeah, but I don't know where the fuck to start within Loomis.
>>
>>3126549
How do I get as good as you?
>>
>>3126561
I'm not that good but I think the ear is a bit off and also the face is a bit off too. Goodluck, Anon.
>>
>>3126549
To me the left arm is a bit longer
>>
>>3126549
looks nice and flowy.. if you are starting to grasp this then do it a million times til it's second nature, don't waste it

I'm trying to grasp that my self and failing
>>
File: HOLYFUCKINEEDLOOMIS.png (722KB, 1000x661px) Image search: [Google]
HOLYFUCKINEEDLOOMIS.png
722KB, 1000x661px
GOD FUCKING DAMMIT I DON'T GET IT

HOW DO I FUCK UP HEAD STRUCTURE SO BAD

THE MORE TIME I PUT INTO IT IT LOOKS WORSE
>>
>>3126571
>x is a bit off

Completely useless advice
>>
>>3126565
Head- or figure drawing, pick one.
>>
File: IMG_20170905_212022538.jpg (77KB, 851x638px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170905_212022538.jpg
77KB, 851x638px
Third still life attempt. What do you guys think?
>>
File: 1482642403844.jpg (119KB, 732x799px) Image search: [Google]
1482642403844.jpg
119KB, 732x799px
https://academics.sheridancollege.ca/programs/bachelor-of-illustration

>tfw 26
>tfw thinking of going anyway

if I get my degree I can move to the US with an h1b visa and get a lot more work... it seems worth it, my parents will pay lol

>>3126601

calm down m8, just get a ruler and compare measurements, you'll get it right the second time, already noticing the difference now is a huge advantage for the 2nd time you draw the face
>>
How do you start doing digital shading
Like what brushes to use and what looks the best
I'm currently using the watercolor brush but I just can't seem to get the right shading I'm looking for
>>
>>3126608
Pretty cool, but the light looks like it is coming from the right yet there is a shadow behind the jar on the right side. I can't really help much more without seeing reference. Maybe the light is coming from the front and you failed to convey that to me. I feel it is coming from the right side.
>>
>>3126611
>h1b visa
>illustration

Good luck finding work in a 1st world country without a STEM degree
>>
>>3126608
This is decent. For future works I'd suggest pushing values, don't fear to go real dark where it's neccesary
>>
>>3126591
How do I get as good as you?
>>
>>3126106

lol then why did you point it out? is everyone a salty bitch on this board? what the fuck lol
>>
Noob here, 'Keys to Drawing' or 'Draw a box'?
Keys to Drawing seems more advanced but I am afraid it will be too hard for a beginner and I will end up ditching it...
Is Draw a box good?
>>
>>3126641
Post your work first so we can gauge your level.
>>
>>3126052

needs bigger value range, maybe darken the darkest areas more

also practice drawing straight lines of varying length, practice smoothly drawing a circle, looks like feathered lines

potential is there seems like you have a decent understanding of how it should look, but execution is poor
>>
>>3126620

>stem degree for an art job

imagine being this blisteringly retarded

what's up with /ic/ lately? so many clueless idiots
>>
>>3126091

no, looks better than most first attempts
stop symbol drawing, as in drawing what you think an eye looks like and what lips should look like, try grouping up the different intensities of light (light desribes form better than you can describe forms with line)
>>
File: teenwolf.jpg (119KB, 1452x1484px) Image search: [Google]
teenwolf.jpg
119KB, 1452x1484px
How can I improve this?
>>
>>3126204

the head looks too far away from the base of the neck, looks a little odd but i can't begin to tell you how to fix it unfortunately!
the hand with the dark line indicating the change of plane is too dark, make it a soft transition maybe?

could use some shading on the body and hair to indicate a light source too

the smoke looks a little lazy, maybe look at what smoke looks like then try and imitate
>>
File: reference.jpg (56KB, 736x919px) Image search: [Google]
reference.jpg
56KB, 736x919px
>>3126642
I have drawn a lot before but I have never really studied seriously.
I have nothing right now I will try drawing pic related
>>
>>3126646
Learn to read moron, getting an H1B Visa is almost exclusively for fucking STEM

>The US H-1B visa is a non-immigrant visa that allows US companies to employ graduate level workers in specialty occupations that require theoretical or technical expertise in specialized fields such as in IT, finance, accounting, architecture, engineering, mathematics, science, medicine, etc. Any professional level job that usually requires you to have a bachelors degree or higher can come under the H-1B visa for specialty occupations. If you do not have a bachelors degree or higher you may be able to show degree equivalence through work experience and/or other qualifications.

Good luck getting a fucking H1B Visa for god damned illustration. Figures an art major would be retarded though.
>>
>>3126207

make sure you're actively thinking about the structure of our hand in physical space, maybe try drawing some wireframes over the hands to indicate the forms wrapping and then shade from there

at the moment the shading is arbitrary and kind of guessing, think 'why is there a shadow there' 'what parts of the back of my hand kind of stick out and cause that shadow

hopefully it helps D:
>>
>>3126649
face has too little definition imo, not to mention the features present are misaligned

values there are also too muddy and don't have enough directional lighting to give depth
>>
>>3126649

have you even looked at the thumbnail? it looks like the guy has no nose, weird cartoon eyes and cartoon lips and fake hair and a fake flat hand,

you're focusing too much on drawing what you THINK the features of the face should look like,

you need to do some studies on the how different lighting affects the face, and drawing what you SEE not what you think it looks like,

maybe look at some of my posts from earlier, i'm basically repeating the same advice it seems
>>
>>3126666
>maybe look at some of my posts from earlier, i'm basically repeating the same advice it seems
/beg/ in a nutshell
>>
File: yeezyresize.png (238KB, 704x1000px) Image search: [Google]
yeezyresize.png
238KB, 704x1000px
>>3126611
well it ended up coming out a bit better

it's mainly a quick sketch for an art assignment so I'm not /as/ worried, but the seriously fucked structure pissed me off before

at least it can pass for ye now
>>
File: SHU_qwV51Y.png (167KB, 616x877px) Image search: [Google]
SHU_qwV51Y.png
167KB, 616x877px
am i doing it right?
>>
>>3126668

R.I.P

225th-pbp
>>
>>3126676
what are you trying to do?
>>
>>3126684
gestures?
>>
>>3126686
look up the proko vids if you have trouble
>>
>>3126686
you are making the most common mistake when doing gesture. you blatantly didnt read/watch any guides. fucking kys and read the sticky
>>
>>3126649
>that hand
>>
>>3126690
>you are making the most common mistake

whats that?
>>
File: as.png (133KB, 321x628px) Image search: [Google]
as.png
133KB, 321x628px
After studying hampton [not even half of the book ;/] i tried to draw from my memory, crits?
>>
>>3126693
fucking read the sticky you insufferable faggot. im not going to spoonfeed you information you should be able to find yourself
>>
>>3126695
limbs are too short, raised elbow should be above head, thigh too. good work on the local anatomy, gesture and rendering though
>>
>>3126695
Hey that's pretty good. Care to post something from before reading Hampton?
>>
>>3126696
if you are talking about not sketching first then you are wrong, i do sketch
>>
>>3126695
How long did it take you to get through half of his book? I always feel like I'm not ready for it
>>
>>3126696
Then don't post, you aren't helpful.
>>
File: as2.png (107KB, 332x513px) Image search: [Google]
as2.png
107KB, 332x513px
>>3126698
Thank you anon, i guess limbs are like that because i didnt draw enough of them so that i would knew about things that you said

>>3126699
Don't have anything rly (i erase almost everything i draw cos im retarded ><) pic related is what i did before doing more hard studies not just mindlessly going trough the books
>>
>>3126705
not him but im at hands chapter and it took me about 2 months cuz i had little break and grind elementar things
>>
>>3126708
damn, how long are you drawing?
>>
>>3126705
Well i think im going too fast, but i will read + paint everything again and again till i think i understand it then i will draw from memory to see is it rly true ;d

>>3126715
I was doodling shit as long as i can remember...
i did try to learn 5 years ago but droped it after 2 months ;/
now im a little bit older so i know i need to START FFS
>>
>>3126647
>no, looks better than most first attempts

I've been practicing for months tho. I guess I should quit lol
>>
>>3126732

depends, how effective is your practice? if you've been practising wrong all this time then it was all for nought

look at what you're trying to draw, look at where the shadows are and where the light hits any surface

for good practice all you need is a couple of things

- self analysis during or after
- actual knowledge of how 3D shapes work and how they work in perspective (even a little knowledge goes a long way)
- an idea of how light and shadows work to an extent
- the ability to wireframe anything you see is helpful, it helps you visualise the complexity of the shape
- an idea of how colour works in different types of lighting

if you have these basic ish skills, you'll stop making silly mistakes OR you'll keep making the mistakes but you'll identify what needs to be fixed quicker
>>
>>3126732

also it'd help if people posted the reference as well as the final image..
>>
>>3126561
Why does he have vaginas on his chest? The slits will be the same size as the cut. A knife is going to displace just as much fabric as it will flesh.
>>
>>3126754
I did that face from imagination tho
>>
Useful video on drawing circles

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmqsk1vZSKw
>>
>>3126772
It just takes practice. Most people probably aren't crazy enough to draw thousands of circles just trying to make them perfect.
>>
File: kevin abstract.jpg (56KB, 746x556px) Image search: [Google]
kevin abstract.jpg
56KB, 746x556px
Tried to draw Kevin Abstract from reference.
How did I do?
>>
>>3126654

There is a specialist category for h1b and art professions fall into that category. You also have no idea what percentage of h1bs are offered to this specialist category because you're a NEET loser on 4chan.

Go read more than the first link in google before mouthing off again, you absolute dumb fuck.
>>
>>3126765

nice if from imagination, but still consider that i can't see any face structure or underlyingbone structure, the eyes dont seem to have eye sockets

if you studied a little of the skull anatomy and the underlying muscles you'd know how to creat a more realistic face

can you read my critique instead of trying to scapegoat your downfalls?

try fixing it?
>>
File: tilting head.jpg (314KB, 1100x1600px) Image search: [Google]
tilting head.jpg
314KB, 1100x1600px
I'm trying out the exercises from Loomis's "Drawing the Head and Hands". I'm slightly confused about the planes of the face, namely the lines connected to cheekbones. As far as I've figured, one line from every cheekbone goes to the center of the upper lip, and the other to the respective side of the mouth, is this correct?
Also, can anyone recommend something a little bit more elaborate about drawing the face? I feel I don't get enough understanding from his commentary.
>>
File: studyface.jpg (51KB, 869x687px) Image search: [Google]
studyface.jpg
51KB, 869x687px
>>
File: NuevoDocumento 2017-09-06_1.jpg (151KB, 2536x2512px) Image search: [Google]
NuevoDocumento 2017-09-06_1.jpg
151KB, 2536x2512px
>>3126653
First time drawing seriously. How is it?
I know, mouth is fucked and I cant draw hair for shit.
>>
>>3126790
>he thinks a verbatim quote from the fucking official government website isn't enough

If you think we are in NEED of art "specialists" you are a deluded and pathetic person.

I'm gonna ignore you sad and miserable attempt at slandering me. Enjoy being a "starving artist".
>>
>>3126797

you can watch stan proko on youtube for a more visual guide in real time

if not i recommend signing up to CGPeers and downloading any anatomy videos and tutorials as possible
>>
>>3126799

you haven't really capture the likeness of his face, it looks a lot like adam driver though

you need to measure more closely, and seeing as you're using digital you could you know, maybe overlay your drawing at a lower opacity to see where you've fucked up

for me your drawing is tilting a little more up than the ref, your ref is kind of tilting head down

your ref is also facing the camera more head on, compared to your drawing which looks like it's facing more to his left as if turning away

the chin needs to be lower, look at how the chin lines up with the start of the collar

notice how the ear on your drawing goes from eyebrow to nose tip, whereas on the ref it only goes down to about mid nose level

it's pretty good value wise, maybe push some of the darks a bit more near the eyes and near the mouth

hopefully you learnt alot from the study! looking good
>>
File: crazydoggo.jpg (596KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
crazydoggo.jpg
596KB, 1920x1080px
working on finishing a crazy Doggo
>>
>>3126816
Do you only do animals?
>>
I want to learn to draw specific stylized shit. Mostly of the /a/ and /v/ variety. Pretty much brand new. So how fucked am I if I only draw the shit I want? Do I just need to stop being a bitch and take the long formal way through or can I just gook grind the things I like till I am half way decent?
>>
>>3126826

nope but i got sick of drawing humans, and i found better refs of animals

in fact i'm learning more about brush strokes and painting digitally with animals more than i learn trying to paint skin
>>
>>3126835

you can grind whatever style you want by learning half assed and then you'll end up in a rut not being able to diversify and try new styles

OR

you can learn the fundamentals of art and then apply them as you see fit, be that anime and viya or traditional or digital painting whatever

teach a man to fish etc...
>>
>>3126835
IamXinum is an english twitch streamer i watch sometimes that learned anime first then anatomy second and has an extremely appealing style. Check his vods.

Draw what you want, but make sure you're always improving and supplementing with real world studies.
>>
>>3126835
I find that the whole aspect of drawing reality first and then stylizing is sometimes taken a bit to the extreme.

I would practice reality up until you understand the basic proportions and constructions of every part of a person. But I wouldn't go so far as saying you need to be able to draw convincing portraits to switch.
>>
File: 2017_09_07.jpg (202KB, 1586x600px) Image search: [Google]
2017_09_07.jpg
202KB, 1586x600px
>>
>>3126835
You're already fucked because you want to learn how to draw instead of just drawing. Before studying, you need to draw and get used to it then start working out your flaws. If you just jump in head first trying to fix all your flaws, you'll just burn out.
>>
>>3126028

Creativity wise, yes. That's experience but the technique are not so hard that it'll take 10 years.
>>
>>3126852
p. good but I see some flaws here
in general, the dark reflections look a bit too dark, making the surface look way more reflective than it is
the same goes for the highlights, the stems on pears look plastic and the pears themselves are more like bell peppers
on a brushed surface like this, i'd blur the shades way more
>>
>>3126852

Anything I'll say can be fix if you spend more time on this. Why so lazy?
>>
whats the best drawing program for gnu/linux? i have my wacom setup to play with.
>>
>>3126865
Hopefully pears will look better once I add texture.
I see what you mean with the reflections.
>>3126866
I think that it is a combination of lack of time, patience and fear of destroying the piece.
I noticed it too earlier, so this is already a continuation of yesterdays 30 min study (I spend about an hour on this in total).
I guess I will now polish this painting untill the week ends, just to push myself to the other extreme.
>>
File: lolisketch1.jpg (2MB, 2673x2993px) Image search: [Google]
lolisketch1.jpg
2MB, 2673x2993px
ive ruined the anatomy but like the pose
>>
File: lolisketch2.jpg (335KB, 802x898px) Image search: [Google]
lolisketch2.jpg
335KB, 802x898px
>>3126886
resize
>>
File: lolisketch4.jpg (229KB, 802x898px) Image search: [Google]
lolisketch4.jpg
229KB, 802x898px
>>3126887
>>
>>3126886
>>3126887
>>3126888

fuck off to the porn thread you pedophile scum

we don't like your kind here
>>
File: 1504383590061.jpg (6KB, 223x251px) Image search: [Google]
1504383590061.jpg
6KB, 223x251px
I know this might be a dumb question and not totally related to art.. but does freelance work count towards a work visa?

For example it says 12 years of work experience required to get a work visa, how do you acquire that 12 years as a freelance artist? How is that logged...?
>>
>>3126908
nah , you get the fuck out fucking redditor
>>
>>3126929
Well, it comes down to a portfolio of work. That's how I see all programming freelancers marketing themselves in anyhow. Show off old and new projects and a variety of stuff that captures 12 years of experience. There is no other way, logged hours doesn't mean shit unless there is some reputable third party person they can contact.
>>
>>3126605
Thanks, my guy.
>>
File: hibiki_swole.png (27KB, 138x226px) Image search: [Google]
hibiki_swole.png
27KB, 138x226px
I'm still struggling with elbows and forearms. Any tips?
>>
File: 22e3227d4171afb3c6189b3e41455f4f.jpg (263KB, 736x1749px) Image search: [Google]
22e3227d4171afb3c6189b3e41455f4f.jpg
263KB, 736x1749px
>>3126962
you need to know how the muscles work when they bend so just study arms
>>
File: bugrhino4.jpg (183KB, 1000x534px) Image search: [Google]
bugrhino4.jpg
183KB, 1000x534px
I tried to take the other anon's advice but it still looks wrong. This time instead of screen/multiply I just used the desired colours (very light blueish grey and very dark brownish grey) for the light and shadows with an opacity brush. The light blue-grey still overtakes the base colours too much, in fact it looks TOO blue even though sunlight is usually blue light. Pushing the values makes it worse. In the photo reference you can see that you can still tell the rhino's local colour pretty well, despite it being pretty light.

I wanted there to be some black parts on the creature too, although i'm not sure how to shade black without making it too dark. So I just used a midtone colour for the areas I want black for now.

I really appreciate the other anon that helped me, thankyou, but I still think I need my butt kicked a little bit more
>>
File: 9asuhf9.jpg (212KB, 689x874px) Image search: [Google]
9asuhf9.jpg
212KB, 689x874px
Yo feedback welcomed on my wip
>>
>>3126601
>this nigga turned kanye into drake

top kek
>>
>>3126608
pretty nice senpai but why not darker? more value range

>>3126641
keys to drawing is not advanced, it's a good place to start..
>>
>>3126693
>>3126676
I'm guessing he means you're focusing on contour, dunno, your gestures don't look bad to me
>>
File: 01_grid.png (102KB, 600x372px) Image search: [Google]
01_grid.png
102KB, 600x372px
Should I draw a grid every time I draw the figure?
>>
>>3127044
No, at least do it a lot for now to internalize it. But you definitely don't want to be doing this everytime.
>>
File: 20170906_194751.jpg (768KB, 1393x1752px) Image search: [Google]
20170906_194751.jpg
768KB, 1393x1752px
>>3127018
>>3127018
more wip
any critiques so fat?
>>
File: 2SeraL2.jpg (47KB, 427x401px) Image search: [Google]
2SeraL2.jpg
47KB, 427x401px
>>3127076
blog?
>>
File: -P2TZQI_F84.jpg (106KB, 960x640px) Image search: [Google]
-P2TZQI_F84.jpg
106KB, 960x640px
>>3127077
gab.ai/Anonmouse

vk
.com/id366484900

Mind that I'm still pretty shitty.

I can't even into crosshatching with pencil without making it look like the first ark of jojo
>>
Should every drawing look perfect when flipped?
>>
File: SticksFigure_Stitch.png (477KB, 1099x533px) Image search: [Google]
SticksFigure_Stitch.png
477KB, 1099x533px
I'm trying to get better at figure drawing, but I don't know if there's something specific I should work on, or if I just need to keep at it.

I feel like my proportions are mostly fine, but my perspective is a bit off? I think I did the gesture of the pose pretty well, but I wasn't able to accurately reproduce the rotation of the torso.

Thoughts?
>>
>>3126801
Looks like you're symbol drawing. Try drawing what you actually see instead. Also, you will probably benefit from reading through Loomis.
>>
>>3127082
I've seen some of your stuff around here I think. Never heard of these sites.
>>
>>3127091
Gab is like twitter but people can actually see your tweets and not get suspended for wrongthink

vk is russian facebook. except you can upload PDFs and write little articles with the note function, pretty h*cking useful if you want to share art related stuff like tips or articles or whatever.

Just bookmark my profile pages if you dont want to create an account
>>
File: 1504565015676.png (728KB, 1165x1075px) Image search: [Google]
1504565015676.png
728KB, 1165x1075px
Hey, I was looking for some anatomical reference, if anyone knows about a site or book that contains pictures of focused anatomy, like an arms section with only arms, nose section with only noses, etc.

I'm thinking about focusing on some anatomical structures I'm really bad at and then start drawing full body and portraits again.
>>
>>3127110
Check the book thread
>>
File: File_000-11.jpg (93KB, 1235x979px) Image search: [Google]
File_000-11.jpg
93KB, 1235x979px
tips for digital?

I used to always draw with pen, now that I got an Ipad I feel like I should use it for drawing.
>>
File: observetheinclinationoftheangles.png (576KB, 1099x629px) Image search: [Google]
observetheinclinationoftheangles.png
576KB, 1099x629px
>>3127087
sorry, no pentab so only ms paint line work lol.
the head on the ref is straight (untilted); while yours is tilted.

you made her left arm not straight; while ref is straightened. this tendency to do this is mostly caused by the protruding muscle; but you must learn to see the bones (AKA the stick).

for the other arm, the inclination is 90 degrees; while you did something around 70-80 degrees.

also the clothes falling down should be straight is

legs are pretty gud.

door is, well u can see.

good luck and keep practicing!!!!!!!!! look up for the angle inclinations ^_^
>>
File: floatinglegsandribcage.png (2MB, 1393x1752px) Image search: [Google]
floatinglegsandribcage.png
2MB, 1393x1752px
my fig draw is lacking but the rib cage feels a bit too protruded for me.

not too sure about the following advice (i fucking suck at drawing pelvis area--didn't study that enough) but based on my eyes his/her legs are kind of "floating"? I meant to say that while the anatomy doesn't look wrong (Well it's unfinished), try to aim for a pose that looks "comfy".

again i'm just a fellow beg trying to help so please take my words with a grain of saltz.
>>
>>3127721
well is that made on the i-pad?

there isn't much difference from drawing on a onscreen tab and pen and paper imo. I still like pen and paper better 'cause it limits my margin of errors (too lazy to erase :p)
>>
>>3127044
there's no point in doing this unless you're going to make a background or other characters. grid are only so useful if you want to be accurate to the max, and most importantly, for industrial design.

really, the basic perspective lines will suffice for figure drawings.
>>
File: isuckattheheadXD.png (400KB, 1368x760px) Image search: [Google]
isuckattheheadXD.png
400KB, 1368x760px
>>3125807

i gave it a try. i'm still having a hard time undertstanding how to construct a head in that perspective... having refs with lotsa hair isn't the best.
>>
>>3127721

the best advice i have seen/gotten is approach digital as if i were painting

watch some good digital speed paintings to see process and you can kind of figure out best approach

there's a lot of different ways to use digital! go nuts try everything
>>
>>3127834

the size and proportions all look ok ish, it looks like you need to figure out how foreshortening works, for example the womans right hand, on our left looks like you tried drawing it pointing downwards, beneath the floor; whereas it should be in parallel to the floor

for foreshortening it's vital to get the shape of the form (arm) right because any small mistake in perspective/foreshort is really obvious

fuck it i'll redline some
>>
File: Untitled-1.jpg (143KB, 1368x760px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled-1.jpg
143KB, 1368x760px
>>3127834

i'm definitely no expert man, but this is my take on what the perspective of each forearm should have been

i have no knowledge of anatomy (real basics) but all i'm doing is looking for/feeling the 3D shape as i draw the boxes and cylinders
>>
would you guys give me a progress evaluation?
>>
>>3126816
that's one CRAZY doggo!
>>
>>3128486

just post mayn! or post in progress thread
Thread posts: 314
Thread images: 87

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.